Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

exquisite tea posted:

What's a good game that I can have some fun in for 1-2 days max and then safely forget about forever.

Lollipop Chainsaw. Unfortunate because it encourages multiple playthroughs but there's no sequel hook and the gameplay only really holds up on your first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

What's a good game that I can have some fun in for 1-2 days max and then safely forget about forever.

Spec Ops: The Line :getin:

(actually seriously no don't play that, play the South Park game instead)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

gay skull posted:

Spec Ops: The Line :getin:

(actually seriously no don't play that, play the South Park game instead)

YOU ARE A BAD PERSON FOR PLAYING THIS; YOU CAN STOP AT ANY TIME

-Spec Ops: The Line, to you, the player, over and over again

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Spec Ops was a decent horror game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codenameFANGIO posted:

The only way to win is not to play. :smuggo:

God was Spec Ops pretentious as gently caress.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hmm. what is this nintendo NX thing?? I am a consumer, hungry for details.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I think you just stated all the available details.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

it's loving stupid. every time nintendo's console doesn't explode in every single region they think OH WELL and just loving make a new one. smh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I think you just stated all the available details.

I know!! it's frustrating!!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

they're already abandoning the Wii U and it has less than 30 games on it. fuckin bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

actually the message is "the characters are bad people but you the player are not because it's a video game, if you feel bad for them you can stop at any time but they can't because it's a video game", lol if you played it and somehow missed that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone call their uncle up and find out what the real story is.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

actually the message is "the characters are bad people but you the player are not because it's a video game, if you feel bad for them you can stop at any time but they can't because it's a video game", lol if you played it and somehow missed that

:jerkbag:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

spec ops had a rockin soundtrack. i also liked how music was all echoed as it blared out of destroyed buildings.

the game was very good at immersion but the ending only really works once.

i liked that they gave you the option to go the hosed up route after the ending though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

"you are still a good person" says the loading screen, and then a million dumb nerds interpret that as "the game said I was a bad person"

Excels posted:

spec ops had a rockin soundtrack. i also liked how music was all echoed as it blared out of destroyed buildings.

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PNvopXjbg

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does anyone care what Special Cops: Thin Blue Line has to say?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does anyone care what Special Cops: Thin Blue Line has to say?
Nope because Apocalypse Now said it better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Nope because Apocalypse Now said it better.
Marlon Brando [to audience]: You are still a good person.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Marlon Brando [to audience]: You are still a good person.

I can't believe Apocalypse Now said I was a bad person for watching it, where does that movie even get off???

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GTA Loading Screen, titled "Deep Insight": It's okay you killed that prostitute. It's not real life, just a game, brother. Just pressing buttons here. The activity is meaningless, morally. You kill those prostitutes all you want.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Slasher movie villain, turning to audience: You like watching this kind of thing, huh? Well, that's fine. You can always turn it off if this level of violence bothers you, but if you're kind of enjoying yourself a little, no judgement from me. Particularly gory scene coming up, but it's just a movie, it says nothing about you if you want to watch it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Will GTA ever not be known as "that game where you can kill prostitutes" to the general populous

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Will GTA ever not be known as "that game where you can kill prostitutes" to the general populous

It actually bothers me too, because there actually are all kinds of gross things that the game lets you (and even encourages you) to do, while killing prostitutes is a thing that doesn't reward you any more than killing anybody else in the game, really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It makes me wonder where that moniker even came from in the first place, if I had to guess I'd say it came from Jack Thompson because "that game where you can kill prostitutes" is a single sentence that carries a lot of implications and it's the kind of thing that would've come out of his douchey mouth back in the day

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

R&C one is not as good as the others. Tools of Destruction isn't great, it's got some cool moments and a lot of bullshit. Crack in Time is the best in the series but it's also a little weird so I can get not being into it. Deadlocked is short and easy but it's good if you play it on Exterminator difficulty.

I actually haven't had a chance to play Into the Nexus yet.

Size Matters is awful.

These opinions are all correct. I have played this series way too many times.

The only genuinely bad Ratchet & Clank games are Secret Agent Clank, Full Frontal Assault and All 4 One (the story was its only redeeming quality). Even the weaker titles like Deadlocked and Size Matters are above average at worst. It's also pretty much the only series that's kept platforming as a genre afloat and maintained a consistent level of quality.

ToD gets a pass for its flaws because it was a monumental effort on their part and many of them had no experience with the PS3 up to that point. It doesn't surprise me that they're using the artstyle from ToD for the movie. It looks crazy good, probably the most gorgeously rendered in the series. The story and gameplay are held up by the level of texture polish imo. They were trying to make an "interactive pixar movie" and it succeeds at that.

i have a strong bias toward crack in time though because goddamn that game is so good. nothing could have followed up that game and met my expectations, really.

ITN is meh. but if you just assume the whole "vita game ported to ps3" rumor is true, it excuses the faults i had with Into the Nexus, mostly. it would explain a lot about how short it is. The inclusion of the arena and crystal hunting just strikes me as a handheld port of R&C, that they hastily moved to ps3 when the vita sold like poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's irksome because it is technically true, after a fashion, and because many of the criticisms about it end up being true for completely different reasons, I end up feeling like the rear end in a top hat who goes "Uh, well ACTUALLY, Frankenstein is the DOCTOR, not the monster" if i want to point out that it sort of misses the point.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Yeah it all really stems back to Jack Thompson's crazy media campaign against GTA and video games in general. It scared everyone's parents and grandparents and seeped into the minds of everyone, even though nobody gives a poo poo about any other violent games at all.

I don't even think loving Rapelay ever got a single percent of the attention GTA got and it's a game where all you do is rape women

Like you are a literal rapist and you kidnap women and rape them and that is the entire game

Somehow not as important as a minor thing you can do in GTA that doesn't even reward you

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The kind of persecution that gamers face is so unfair.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The mass population is racist against gamers and there's nothing we can do about it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Slasher movie villain, turning to audience: You like watching this kind of thing, huh? Well, that's fine. You can always turn it off if this level of violence bothers you, but if you're kind of enjoying yourself a little, no judgement from me. Particularly gory scene coming up, but it's just a movie, it says nothing about you if you want to watch it.

i'm pretty sure you just described a scene right out of hotline miami.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pointing out that it's fairly inconsequential compared to the giant revenge quest against the player avatar's castrating ex in terms of Bad Stuff seems like a waste of breath, so it's like.... whatever.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Jack Thompson was right. He tried to warn us but we didn't listen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Newsman, looking straight into camera, smirking nastily: What we have we here? Looks like Nintendo's Amiibo toys, and I see popular characters Metroid and... I think this little green fella is Zelda, both featured prominently in Nintendo's latest cop-killing simulator machine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Woah, imagine how quickly the Plasma Beam would burn that straw man, haha.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Woah, imagine how quickly the Plasma Beam would burn that straw man, haha.

Uh, actually Straw Man sounds more like an enemy from the Mother series, and it would probably have a lot of hit points, so the plasma beam might take a couple of rounds.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Ferguson happened because an entire generation of children were raised to kill police officers from playing Nintendo and Sony video games since childhood.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

• The Straw Man twisted around your arguments!
  • It didn't work on Ness.
  • Paula could not stop crying!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

grilled cheese: the ultimate gamer food?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like grilled cheese because it reminds me of happier days and makes me feel less sad inside when I eat it :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Starfox 3D and I forgot how good the game was on N64. Now it's even better. The 3DS is a good system. Semper games.

edit: though is it me or is the voice acting even worse and why did the celebration parade take place in a gay hangar in front of like three people instead of the big ceremony hall from the original? this is bs. im gay

• Locked thread