Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FMguru posted:

yeah the bubble companies will get blown away, but they dont really employ that many people (unlike 2001, when the downturn emptied out whole office buildings and campuses). all that app 3.0 disruption nonsense could disappear overnight and intel and cisco and google and facebook and apple and the rest of the companies in the f500 will still be hiring and paying programmers and it people

yeah the big guys will be fine but ripple effects are hard to predict. I do wonder how much of Google and Facebook ad revenue is from bubble companies, particularly Facebook and mobile games. but the implosion of ads is a long running thing.

there is a pretty sizable industry of hangers on that will have to find new jobs or suckers. branding companies are going to have to come up with something to replace the gravy train of gullible startup bros. "incubators" and "coding boot camps" are proper hosed because actual coding for a salary doesn't appeal to all that many people like becoming a millionaire off your fart app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah the big guys will be fine but ripple effects are hard to predict. I do wonder how much of Google and Facebook ad revenue is from bubble companies, particularly Facebook and mobile games. but the implosion of ads is a long running thing.

the farmville company pretty much collapsed, right? did that cause the whole mobile-game market to suffer?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I tried to use uber yesterday but the driver who grabbed my fare twice couldn't figure out how to get to me at the hotel and wound up driving around the block twice. I wouldn't up asking the head bellhop for a ride and there was a town car already at the hotel that got me to the airport for a flat $50 charge. that's my latest uber adventure.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

prefect posted:

the farmville company pretty much collapsed, right? did that cause the whole mobile-game market to suffer?

they just moved from Facebook based to mobile apps with in app purchases required to not have to wait 40 hours to play for 20 minutes again.

Facebook integrated pay per install ads for mobile apps and some absurd percentage of their mobile ad revenue comes from those things because all the companies are bidding up the prices for the same subgroup of idiots who will drop $99 for a cookie clicker power up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

holy poo poo

milk is only 122 g/lb according to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/food-water-footprint_n_5952862.html

also eggs: 395 (and chicken: 528) so you could drink eggnog and it'd waste less water than fuckin almond milk

who cares?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

no, because the side of Sand Hill with all the brand name VCs is in Menlo Park

what about atherton

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also its almond juice, not almond milk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fritz posted:

what about atherton

I'm sure a bunch live there, but I don't think there are many offices

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
thank god all these people who were nine years old during the last bubble are here to tell us all about how it worked

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you don't believe in historians, I guess?

even those of us who were of age don't have all-encompassing experiences, so we'd rely on reading and analyzing other sources as well

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
an autist's history of Silicon Valley, by Howard "subjunctive" Zinn

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Mido posted:

now imagining tori searching his evernote for 'poo poo idiot mido'

most of us are using PostgreSQL

shaggar uses access tho.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

California gave us Reagan, and for that, we will never, ever forgive you.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mido posted:

hp where is the webzone for yospos.xlsx

tori either has an intense memory or really good notes bc he always dropping burns on me that hurt

remembering things about other people is basically what your brain is meant to do, lmao if yours doesn't work properly

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

triple sulk posted:

ruby is already dead and the people who are still writing in 2015 are either delusional or have accepted the fact that they're gonna maintain rails 2.x apps for the next 15 years

my company has started a huge initiative to move from our lovely monolithic .net app to a bunch of SOA Ruby/Rails apps.

I'm writing brand new Rails 4 code in TYOOL 2015 and it's p ok

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

there is a pretty sizable industry of hangers on that will have to find new jobs or suckers. branding companies are going to have to come up with something to replace the gravy train of gullible startup bros. "incubators" and "coding boot camps" are proper hosed because actual coding for a salary doesn't appeal to all that many people like becoming a millionaire off your fart app.

facebook and google can survive just about anything, their popularity and ubiquity makes them irresistible ad platforms no matter how bad things get

the number of parasite companies leeching off the bubble is hilarious, but most of them are localized services in or around bubble hubs like SF and NYC so the actual national impact will probably be pretty slight

demand for programmers will probably drop a lot, though. right now every white male "idea man" that can afford to move within commuting distance of sf or nyc is looking to hire a few white male programmers

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

facebook and google can survive just about anything, their popularity and ubiquity makes them irresistible ad platforms no matter how bad things get

the number of parasite companies leeching off the bubble is hilarious, but most of them are localized services in or around bubble hubs like SF and NYC so the actual national impact will probably be pretty slight

demand for programmers will probably drop a lot, though. right now every white male "idea man" that can afford to move within commuting distance of sf or nyc is looking to hire a few white male programmers

gonna own when the "rockstar programmers" are working at best buy and I'm still writing medical billing software. lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Citizen Tayne posted:

gonna own when the "rockstar programmers" are working at best buy and I'm still writing medical billing software. lol

bigger lols if best buy dies right around then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

demand for entry level nodejs programmers will drop a lot

demand for experienced java/c# devs will plod along as it ever has

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
wages will keep falling though. that was never in question.

wages in this bubble never even came close to 2001. they're not going to go higher after the bubble pops.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wages will keep falling though

that was never in question

the extra node.js programmers will be used as an excuse for pay to crater for everyone because someone in middle management read that unemployment was up among programmers and they were desperate for worm.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Citizen Tayne posted:

gonna own when the "rockstar programmers" are working at best buy and hillary nationalizes health care and puts all the medical insurance companies out of business

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wages will keep falling though. that was never in question.

wages in this bubble never even came close to 2001. they're not going to go higher after the bubble pops.

"everyone should learn to code!" - a really rich guy who doesn't want his kids to learn to code

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

lol who do you think administers Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shaggar posted:

who cares?

people who want to hasten the environmental collapse of california :unsmigghh:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol who do you think administers Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare?

with a national market I'm going to assume whoever wins the contract, and it probably isnt going to be the company that has a bunch of expensive domestic programmers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

"everyone should learn to ______!" - a really rich guy who doesn't want to pay so much to employ ______

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

demand for entry level nodejs programmers will drop a lot

demand for experienced java/c# devs will plod along as it ever has

yeah. experienced programmers who know important languages are always gonna be in fair demand. very few real employers are interested in a fresh college grad with three months internship experience in ruby or php, though; the only reason those people are finding jobs is because at any given time there's a dozen new "uber but for X" companies and thirty "X but on/with a smartphone" companies in sf desperately fighting over the sf labor market to build a whole programming team from scratch

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PCjr sidecar posted:

with a national market I'm going to assume whoever wins the contract, and it probably isnt going to be the company that has a bunch of expensive domestic programmers

Every Fortune 500 company has a bunch of expensive domestic programmers. every company is a software company in one way or another.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Marzzle posted:

i was under the impression that industry software peeps just didn't really care about publications at all and you shouldn't put them on a resume but you are probably talkin' bout grad schools

it depends. we're concerned with whether you can do the job. there are problems with cs researchers in that many of them are poo poo at building software. but doing research and publishing also demonstrates competence in other areas related to the job. mainly being able to deeply investigate and analyze a problem and document findings, which is important for software that isn't just gluing poo poo together to make babbies first blog. so it's a big plus but not necessarily sufficient. as long as you can demonstrate that you can also code reasonably well then you're ahead of the curve.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

Every Fortune 500 company has a bunch of expensive domestic programmers. every company is a software company in one way or another.

even aggressive outsourcers who claim to employ 0 programmers have contractors working in-house ("insourcing" i guess?)

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even aggressive outsourcers who claim to employ 0 programmers have contractors working in-house ("insourcing" i guess?)

It's cyclical too, my company has almost entirely eradicated offshoring as a matter of course in favor of bringing people over and making them permanent employees, or hiring locally. offshoring only happens to make up for unexpected demand.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

a lot of federal work also has strings attached saying it has to be done with us citizen labor. often by requiring security clearances (even public trust level).

and even if it doesn't the companies that bid it tend to use us labor because then they can spread it around to a bunch of congressional districts and keep their contract from ever being killed no matter how incredibly stupid it is or how poorly they are executing. see the f35 for a great example.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

many of those giant internal java applications written by terrible outsourced it vendors need people who can locate their own rear end to spend years fixing and enhancing them [and managing more offshore "talent"] it's certainly not glamorous but the need will always be there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

a lot of federal work also has strings attached saying it has to be done with us citizen labor. often by requiring security clearances (even public trust level).

and even if it doesn't the companies that bid it tend to use us labor because then they can spread it around to a bunch of congressional districts and keep their contract from ever being killed no matter how incredibly stupid it is or how poorly they are executing. see the f35 for a great example.

state-level work does this too

i've even seen bid documents that outline preference for bidders who have a workforce made up of some percentage of minorities or if they're minority-owned

and yes these always explicitly state that women are a minority

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

are you saying that women aren't a minority in engineering?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

are you saying that women aren't a minority in engineering?

no, but contracting firm presidents apparently need it spelled out that women are not commonly found in the construction field

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

state-level work does this too

i've even seen bid documents that outline preference for bidders who have a workforce made up of some percentage of minorities or if they're minority-owned

and yes these always explicitly state that women are a minority

lol all that does is let a shell company owned by a minority woman disabled veteran win the contract at a higher bid price then immediately subcontract it to megacorp contractor (mysteriously the same one every time) at higher than what the megacorp originally bid.

at least that's how it works for federal contracting.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that sounds better than the alt IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

remembering things about other people is basically what your brain is meant to do, lmao if yours doesn't work properly
same, but being kind to other people

• Locked thread