Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This new insider podcast is mixed weirdly. I can only hear Kelley Dixon through my left ear and everyone else only comes in from the right. And everyone sounds further away than normal.

Yeah, it's real loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

boom boom boom posted:

I heard an interview or something with Bob Odenkirk where he said that show is about a guy making decisions based on the circumstances he finds himself in, so he thinks it totally could cover the Cinnabon years. Not just in flash forwards, but later seasons actually taking place then.

That would be incredible.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cromulent posted:

I feel like this issue is going to be this week's "We still don't know where the Kettleman's money ended up."

I noticed it too, they started playing his ofuckimoutside freakout music and the camera was up underneath his chin again, but then things evened out and the weird 'electromagnetic sound effects' went away. I guess it could still go either way but my assumption was he dropped the box in shock that he wasn't being affected by being outside.

As for future Saul timeline talk, we never really saw any of his 'home life' during BB. I think it would be hilarious if we got into the time that BB covered and they set up a running gag where we keep juuuuust missing all the BB characters so Bryan and Aaron never actually appear on camera, and instead see what Saul was up to at the same time.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

GonSmithe posted:

The production quality has always been low for the podcasts, but this episode is by far the worst.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure the Chuck stinger is ambiguous on purpose, to keep us on our toes and guessing for next week.

I mean, discounting the previews.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rewatched the last four or five episodes last night, man this show has so much going on in the background. In ep 4 when Jimmy's buying his suit for the billboard gag, he picks up a shirt and tie... in the same colors that become his trademark look in Breaking Bad. Later in the ep he's wearing a University of American Samoa sweater while lounging in the salon.

Also, I want an HHM mug.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Wake_N_Bake posted:

The production quality has always been low for the podcasts, but this episode is by far the worst.

I just put the whole thing into audacity and converted it from stereo to mono and it was fine.

Still annoying though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

This drives me nuts when listening with headphones, you can fix it by opening the mp3 in Audacity and doing [Tracks -> Stereo Track to Mono].

e;fb

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ruddiger posted:

Later in the ep he's wearing a University of American Samoa sweater while lounging in the salon.

Also, I want an HHM mug.

I want a University of American Samoa sweater. Go Land Crabs! I wonder if their sporting ability is anything like American Samoa's soccer team.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You can't just agree to let another lawyer work on a case with you. Jimmy basically violated attorney-client privilege, by not only storing his boxes at Chucks house but by having Chuck look over them. Chuck does not work for Jimmy's law firm. What's going to happen is that HHm is going to force Jimmy to give them the case because they find out about it through the 400 dollars of printing that Chuck used at the firm, their then going to know Jimmy is onto a Rico , Class Action lawsuit.

Basically the case is gonna get taken from Jimmy by Chuck who then returns to the law firm because focusing on law "cures" his affliction and the show becomes about Jimmy trying to take down his brother.

I think the show is about Betrayal, it's a running theme through out almost all of the episodes.

Also, I won't put it past Chuck that this is all a scam.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

ruddiger posted:

Rewatched the last four or five episodes last night, man this show has so much going on in the background. In ep 4 when Jimmy's buying his suit for the billboard gag, he picks up a shirt and tie... in the same colors that become his trademark look in Breaking Bad.

I noticed that part right away, and actually said out loud "YESSSS YES, THAT'S WHO YOU'RE MEANT TO BE- GO FOR IT AND NOT THAT OTHER BORING poo poo!"

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The case is turning into a massive class action which takes huge resources to litigate; the sort of resources that a big firm with an army of lawyer has. I could easily see Chuck deciding that they need to take the case to HHM. Jimmy could object, but he certainly can't litigate the case without help, so he could go along and then be relegated to a meaningless role pretty quickly. Alternatively, Hamlin could hear about the case from Kim and go talk Chuck into bringing it to HHM. Hamlin played it pretty well earlier with Chuck; basically being the only one towing the 'He'll get better and be back to work soon!' line that Chuck wants to believe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I think the show is about Betrayal, it's a running theme through out almost all of the episodes.

Also, I won't put it past Chuck that this is all a scam.

I dunno if I'd call it betrayal, but it looks like they're building a pattern of Jimmy being let down by people he thought were on his side, and having things taken from him that he felt he deserved.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Something I didn't see mentioned anywhere: in the flashback, Kim kissed Jimmy on the lips. This confirms that they were more than just friends. I know it was strongly hinted at already, but people were debating it.

I actually can see it as a possibility that he does not convert to Saul this season. Only two episodes left, and there's a lot of story arcs to close. Changing his name and identity and business alone would be a several episode process. This season will end with him completely broken and having to start from scratch :( .

edit: oh, and they wouldn't have made a big point about the printing request if it wasn't going to bite them in the rear end later.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 25, 2015

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm kinda disappointed that this is a prequel because it really limits the storytelling if we know that Jimmy becomes Saul Goodman, helps a meth dealer out for a while, then goes into hiding. There's also not a lot of time between the early 2000's of BCS and the late 2000's of BB to convince the viewer that there's a reasonable amount of time for Jimmy to go on a bunch of adventures before turning into Saul.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Anybody else get the feeling that Hamlin wants to bang Kim and hates Jimmy because he dates or dated her? He seems to act like a petulant bully that is mad that the girl he likes has the audacity to like somebody that isn't him, so he's going to make the object of her affection pay.

It's just the vibe I get.

I do feel like Jimmy is going to have some heartbreak in the next few episodes, but it's clear he's doing pretty well in his Saul days, so I'm interested in seeing his climb back up. I also want a post-BB season where Jimmy lives happily ever after. :(

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

Anybody else get the feeling that Hamlin wants to bang Kim and hates Jimmy because he dates or dated her? He seems to act like a petulant bully that is mad that the girl he likes has the audacity to like somebody that isn't him, so he's going to make the object of her affection pay.

I do feel like Jimmy is going to have some heartbreak in the next few episodes, but it's clear he's doing pretty well in his Saul days, so I'm interested in seeing his climb back up. I also want a post-BB season where Jimmy lives happily ever after. :(

I don't. He barely views her as more than Jimmy but she must be a really good lawyer. Probably a former deputy prosecutor with the feds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't get that vibe at all. Hamlin is just a rich guy who thinks anyone without a fancy degree is beneath him, but he acts nice to score clients.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm thinking his brother betraying him is what breaks him and makes him turn back to his previous ways.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Doltos posted:

I'm kinda disappointed that this is a prequel because it really limits the storytelling if we know that Jimmy becomes Saul Goodman, helps a meth dealer out for a while, then goes into hiding. There's also not a lot of time between the early 2000's of BCS and the late 2000's of BB to convince the viewer that there's a reasonable amount of time for Jimmy to go on a bunch of adventures before turning into Saul.
Breaking Bad took place over 2 years, and like 5/6ths of it took only a year and change. They have plenty of time.

Like, really, how long does Jimmy have to have been Saul before Breaking Bad starts? Like, three years? That's still three years of adventure, which is huge when you're working with Vince Gilligan pacing.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2015

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Do law firms generally pay for people to go to law school? I just think it's possible that Hamlin groomed Kim to be some compliant piece of rear end, and then acts salty when it doesn't work out that way. I could very well be wrong, but I just get the feeling there is more to his douchebaggery than meets the eye.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't. He barely views her as more than Jimmy but she must be a really good lawyer. Probably a former deputy prosecutor with the feds.

The flashback seems to indicate that she worked in the mail room and that HHM paid for her to get her law degree and pass the bar. Her going for her law degree is what motivates Jimmy to do the same. She explicitly states that she owes HHM for putting her through law school.

Leon Einstein posted:

Do law firms generally pay for people to go to law school? I just think it's possible that Hamlin groomed Kim to be some compliant piece of rear end, and then acts salty when it doesn't work out that way. I could very well be wrong, but I just get the feeling there is more to his douchebaggery than meets the eye.

It's possible, but if that was the case, she would not have a corner office. He would not have let her return from the cornfields. She has an ally in HHM, my guess is Chuck at the very least.

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno if I'd call it betrayal, but it looks like they're building a pattern of Jimmy being let down by people he thought were on his side, and having things taken from him that he felt he deserved.

I'd call it betrayal. He did give up his dreams of a high rise office to help his friend Kim, and he supports Chuck by buying everything Chuck needs to survive, even while he is living off scraps. Chuck letting HHM take the case from Jimmy, and/or forcing Jimmy to give it up for nothing (because as Chuck has said, money is not the main thing) is betrayal.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 25, 2015

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Doltos posted:

They have plenty of time, and there is nothing stopping them from moving forward in time to post-BB if they wanted to take it that way eventually.

Also the first time I hated Walter White was the Cinnabon opening to BCS. gently caress you, Walter White. :argh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

How does his initial firing of Kim when she lost the Kettlemans fit into that scenario?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Last Chance posted:

How does his initial firing of Kim when she lost the Kettlemans fit into that scenario?

She wasn't fired, just send to the crappy part of the firm where her chances of promotion to partner would have been vastly reduced.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think everyone should stop worrying or assuming that the end point of the show is Saul as a broken Cinnabon man. This show may never even touch on Saul's life as the Saul we saw in Breaking Bad and could easily skip right over that era. The big concern about this show before airing was that it would just be "the adventures of Saul Goodman and his wacky client of the week", but this clearly isn't going to be that kind of show and what we're being shown - the path that leads to Breaking Bad era Saul, is far more compelling.

They have plenty of room for tons of narrative between current Jimmy/Saul and Breaking Bad Saul. Whatever ends up being the final season could resume at present day and give him some sort of redemption.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 25, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leon Einstein posted:

Do law firms generally pay for people to go to law school? I just think it's possible that Hamlin groomed Kim to be some compliant piece of rear end, and then acts salty when it doesn't work out that way.

You're kinda hosed up, dude.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For all we know the Cinnabon sequence is just a speculative alt-universe or dream anyway. Remember, the whole reason it exists in the first place is as a cheeky "Hey remember when Saul tossed out that scenario for his for-all-I-know future in his final scene? WELL GUESS WHAT :haw:" —and my reaction upon seeing it was "Okay, yeah right, that right there is hilarious but waaaaay too much for me to buy right out the gate".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

She wasn't fired, just send to the crappy part of the firm where her chances of promotion to partner would have been vastly reduced.

Oh right, I meant "sent to the Cornfield" or whatever Jimmy called it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

For all we know the Cinnabon sequence is just a speculative alt-universe or dream anyway.

What? No, I think that scene was meant to be real. And I'm almost willing to toxx myself that we'll revisit future Saul at the end of this season or early next season.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Oh right, I meant "sent to the Cornfield" or whatever Jimmy called it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Good_Life_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29
Sent to the Cornfield it was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C34g5mz1ZQ

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

You're kinda hosed up, dude.
Huh? I guess we'll see. I'm in no way convinced I'm right, but it's just an idea. Hamlin seems to really want to stick it to Kim (no pun intended) for some reason, and being spurned by her in the past could be a factor in that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think it's all but certain that Jimmy will get the Sandpiper case taken away from him. A case that big would have made Jimmy a superstar, meaning he'd never have to turn criminal. And even if he did anyways, he'd be too much of a public figure to change his identity.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Chamale posted:

I want a University of American Samoa sweater. Go Land Crabs! I wonder if their sporting ability is anything like American Samoa's soccer team.

To be fair, some clusterfuck meant American Samoa couldn't field their real team due to passport issues, so had to quickly assemble a ragtag motley crew of youths; many of which had never played a 90-minute match before.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Data Graham posted:

For all we know the Cinnabon sequence is just a speculative alt-universe or dream anyway. Remember, the whole reason it exists in the first place is as a cheeky "Hey remember when Saul tossed out that scenario for his for-all-I-know future in his final scene? WELL GUESS WHAT :haw:" —and my reaction upon seeing it was "Okay, yeah right, that right there is hilarious but waaaaay too much for me to buy right out the gate".

It could be, but, I'm inclined to think that when he mentioned Cinnabon in BB, seemingly as a throwaway line, that was actually the plan. Maybe he had a connection at Cinnebon headquarters, and he was able to pick up the phone and call in a favor to get the job. I think Saul could have something like that in place in case he needed it. On the one hand, it seems a bit careless to tell someone, even if your delivery doesn't invite the other person to take it seriously. On the other hand, who the hell was Walt going to tell?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Secret Agent X23 posted:

It could be, but, I'm inclined to think that when he mentioned Cinnabon in BB, seemingly as a throwaway line, that was actually the plan. Maybe he had a connection at Cinnebon headquarters, and he was able to pick up the phone and call in a favor to get the job. I think Saul could have something like that in place in case he needed it. On the one hand, it seems a bit careless to tell someone, even if your delivery doesn't invite the other person to take it seriously. On the other hand, who the hell was Walt going to tell?

You're joking right? The line was a throwaway gag, and they went with it because him ending up that way is dark comedy.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You're joking right? The line was a throwaway gag, and they went with it because him ending up that way is dark comedy.

It was very obviously a throwaway line when it was written for Breaking Bad. And following up on it in BCS is indeed very effective as dark comedy. But it's difficult at best to think that a situation that specific would be a coincidence. It's not difficult, though, to think that Saul would have a backup plan that could involve a new identity as a nonthreatening guy hundreds of miles away.

But then again, if you want to tell me I'm thinking about it too much, I won't argue.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Secret Agent X23 posted:

It was very obviously a throwaway line when it was written for Breaking Bad. And following up on it in BCS is indeed very effective as dark comedy. But it's difficult at best to think that a situation that specific would be a coincidence. It's not difficult, though, to think that Saul would have a backup plan that could involve a new identity as a nonthreatening guy hundreds of miles away.

But then again, if you want to tell me I'm thinking about it too much, I won't argue.

This isn't the kind of show to fake you out with "it was all a dream!" Unless you accept the alternate ending of Breaking Bad as the canonical one.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The Norm MacDonald alternate ending, or the Dean Norris alternate ending? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There's no happy ending for Saul. We know how Breaking Bad ended.

• Locked thread