Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

EggsAisle posted:

Was there ever any kind of "making of FFVII" documentary feature? I know there's plenty of stuff on the interwebs, but it'd be interesting to hear an official perspective. My dream, filed firmly in the "never gonna happen" category, is that they sit down with a handful of people from each department for a few hours and just.... I dunno, talk. Show concept art, discuss early drafts, share development stories, etc. Get the old team back together and reminisce, basically.

There was a weird little promotional thing they did before the game came out. It was pretty great, it had talks with Uematsu, Kitase, Sakaguchi and it had some of the commercials. My god, the FFVII commercials, they were a work of art.

EDIT: Here's part 1. And part 2.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Benson Cunningham posted:

So Cait Sith can kill anyone instantly with his ultimate limit break, which means in theory he does the most damage in the game.
Technically, so can Barret and Vincent, and they don't even need to use a limit break :v:

Arcade Rabbit posted:

That's fascinating also why? Why is this one attack barred from ever occurring ever again? This isn't a programming quirk, this sounds explicitly deliberate in what it does and how it does it.
It's not intentionally barred! There are scripted-encounter versions of the same monster that ignore the global variable. Unfortunately, most people don't count this because it's after the point of no return.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 19, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The White Dragon posted:

It's not intentionally barred! There are scripted-encounter versions of the same monster that ignore the global variable. Unfortunately, most people don't count this because it's after the point of no return.

Unless I'm mistaken the only kind of Dragon Zombie is the kind that checks the variable on death. AFAIK the ones that pop up during hopscotch are the same as any other.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

EggsAisle posted:

Was there ever any kind of "making of FFVII" documentary feature? I know there's plenty of stuff on the interwebs, but it'd be interesting to hear an official perspective. My dream, filed firmly in the "never gonna happen" category, is that they sit down with a handful of people from each department for a few hours and just.... I dunno, talk. Show concept art, discuss early drafts, share development stories, etc. Get the old team back together and reminisce, basically.

In my head I imagine that running more or less like this:
"I played Theatrhythm Final Fantasy for the first time today. Not too shabby! As I remembered various things from the past 20 years, I was reduced to tears. FF music fans should definitely play it. Won't you cry with me?"
— Nobuo Uematsu

Which only makes me want it more.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Frocobo posted:

If I remember correctly, the animation for Pandora's Box pretty hilariously shares the confusion surrounding the move itself.
I have always loved the animation for it, all it was missing was a heavily MIDI'd Zarathrustra sped up by about two beats and the kind of voiceover one only gets in a dated auditorium.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcade Rabbit posted:

That's fascinating also why? Why is this one attack barred from ever occurring ever again? This isn't a programming quirk, this sounds explicitly deliberate in what it does and how it does it.

At risk of sounding cynic I wouldn't put past it to be one of those things they put to sound incredibly bizarre and out-of-place and force completionists to buy magazines/call game-lines. But who knows.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The way TFergusson writes about it, it seems the game's AI programming is formatted like that in game, and he edited it for simplicity and readability. He's also extremely interested in technical accuracy, so roundabout descriptions are in the interest of fidelity to the game's mechanics.

TFergusson's work is fantastic and the way he formatted those templates is one of the things that got me into scripting and eventually programming. It's very easy to follow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

EggsAisle posted:

Only if they also do one for FFVIII, so we can see them all go, "WTF were we thinking?!".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Technically, so can Barret and Vincent, and they don't even need to use a limit break :v:

Apparently there's one boss near the end of the game that alse changes the variable, and sets it to 0 on death. Considering some of the other "If party does X/is X level, Y changes in boss", it's probably that Pandora's Box was supposed to change the boss somehow, but they changed their minds after programming Zombie Dragon. Either that, or Zombie Dragon was supposed to be a one-time fight and Pandora's Box var script was the trigger for changing the dragon zombie into something else, but they scrapped the idea. Either way, at least Pandora's Box doesn't have the party coming back as space fetuses (fetusii?)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This may have already been posted here, but I don't remember...

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

I suspect based on OFS's explanation that it was intended to be once per battle or something and someone screwed up. Alternately, they could have been trying to trigger something to happen once Pandora's box was opened and either cut it for some reason or forgot about it.

Based off the wiki, it is technically possible for them to use it again, as the variable used for that skill is used in a boss fight and as such gets reset after the battle. However, you can't go back after said fight unless you use glitches and the fight is kind of an important story one, so it's kind of :psyduck: to figure out what they were thinking in the first place.

EggsAisle posted:

Was there ever any kind of "making of FFVII" documentary feature? I know there's plenty of stuff on the interwebs, but it'd be interesting to hear an official perspective.

The Ultimania series of books released in Japan are probably the closest to what you're thinking of.

Frocobo posted:

If I remember correctly, the animation for Pandora's Box pretty hilariously shares the confusion surrounding the move itself.

The skill is literally called "What???" (なんとか???) in the Japanese release.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Jueg01 posted:

Oh my god it gets better :swoon: that is literally exactly right holy poo poo it is just perfect. Everything about this move is just amazing now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of funny that you can get to that place either by tracking down and defeating the Ultima Weapon or just by breeding a Chocobo.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just finished my own play through that I started in conjunction with the thread. This time through I power leveled everyone and abused W-item and source farmed with Yuffie and holy crap did I jobbed everything that came my way.

Source farming is the way to go and the w-item source glitch really makes it a simple task to get most stats up 255. Also, dasers make Ruby weapon your bitch

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quadramagic Hades does some goofy things to Ruby Weapon for some reason.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Ruby is actually a bit of a chump, especially if you use the right tricks. His gimmick is the sandwhirl and spamming ultima, which is easily worked around.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did I miss the fight with Ruby or has that not been covered?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 24, 2015

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
No 'that' thing has not yet been covered.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just finished my own play through that I started in conjunction with the thread. This time through I power leveled everyone and abused W-item and source farmed with Yuffie and holy crap did I jobbed everything that came my way.

Source farming is the way to go and the w-item source glitch really makes it a simple task to get most stats up 255. Also, dasers make Ruby weapon your bitch

Don't you have to find some bandit to steal sources from you to be able to w-item glitch them? Seems like a lot of work to be robbed enough times that it picks one of your sources from all the items in the inventory. Is there another way of doing it?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Man with Hat posted:

Don't you have to find some bandit to steal sources from you to be able to w-item glitch them? Seems like a lot of work to be robbed enough times that it picks one of your sources from all the items in the inventory. Is there another way of doing it?

There is. essentially you need to have Yuffie, W-item and a single useable battle item in the top of the inventory.

Then use all the sources you have so none remain in your inventory. You then need to get into battle against monsters that morph into sources. The trick here though is finding monsters that morph into sources but which also come in packs. (the grey armadillo like things near Midel or the octopus mobs in the sunken plane).

Basically as Yuffie morphs one of the creatures, you use the single item with w-item which now leaves a gap, if you wait before selecting and using the second item, the morphed source will fill the gap of the first item. Then all you need to do is the w-item trick as usual and the sources increase instead.

There is a video describing how to do it I will post when I find it. The method is so simple and you can max particular stats in minutes!

Edit: found it ! https://youtu.be/HZ_mM4KI1-A

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 24, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jueg01 posted:

I may be mistaken but isn't that closer to "Something???" or "Somehow???"

Which is honestly even better since it sounds even more baffled about what the hell is going on.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Kanfy posted:

I may be mistaken but isn't that closer to "Something???" or "Somehow???"

Which is honestly even better since it sounds even more baffled about what the hell is going on.

You're mistaken. "Something?" would be なにか, while "Somehow?" would be something like なんでか, only probably not exactly that because it sounds really weird. なんとか is more or less "What did you say?" or just "What?" for short.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm not fluent in Japanese, so I've been staying out of this, but now you guys are saying things that just don't jive with what I've learned and heard.

In my admittedly limited experience, the contexts in which I've heard なんとか used would translate more closely to "somehow" than to "what." I've never heard it used for clarification.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

For what it's worth, Google Translate says なんとか is "somehow".

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ultrafilter posted:

For what it's worth, Google Translate says なんとか is "somehow".

It's ambiguous without context, since Japanese doesn't use spaces. なんとか could be a single word "somehow" or なん (what) と (quotation particle) か (question particle) adding up to "what [did you say]?"

E:
VVV Unfortunately It's been a long, long time since I've made any practical use of my Japanese, so what's common or not has kinda fallen out of my head.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 25, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Akratic Method posted:

It's ambiguous without context, since Japanese doesn't use spaces. なんとか could be a single word "somehow" or なん (what) と (quotation particle) か (question particle) adding up to "what [did you say]?"

While you're not wrong, in that context, なんだと is way more common. I've never heard なんとか used to get clarification.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Or like all things use in Japanese games, it's a really bad pun.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Instead of relying on a notoriously iffy computer translator, or our half-rememberings of insufficient studies, why don't we check out the J->E section of a Japanese dictionary designed by Japanese people for Japanese people?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
After a few weeks worth of reading, I finally caught up with the thread. And dammit, Elentor, you inspired me to start playing my PC re-release again. Loving what you've done with this so far.

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 25, 2015

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
My anime friends said they would translate it as "WHAT???" without context.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Well however you translate it, it sure has absolutely nothing to do with Pandora's Box and neither does the ability itself. Where on earth did that name come from? :psyduck:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe it was supposed to be "What's in the box?" A game show kind of box.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Foul Ole Ron posted:

There is. essentially you need to have Yuffie, W-item and a single useable battle item in the top of the inventory.

Then use all the sources you have so none remain in your inventory. You then need to get into battle against monsters that morph into sources. The trick here though is finding monsters that morph into sources but which also come in packs. (the grey armadillo like things near Midel or the octopus mobs in the sunken plane).

Basically as Yuffie morphs one of the creatures, you use the single item with w-item which now leaves a gap, if you wait before selecting and using the second item, the morphed source will fill the gap of the first item. Then all you need to do is the w-item trick as usual and the sources increase instead.

There is a video describing how to do it I will post when I find it. The method is so simple and you can max particular stats in minutes!

Edit: found it ! https://youtu.be/HZ_mM4KI1-A

Right, this makes sense. The thing with the bandits is the same, more or less, but harder to get right but you don't need morph. I've only seen it used in Speedruns where there's no time to morph things.

The thing I spoke about is the same as you said but instead of morphing an enemy to get the source to go into the empty spot in the inventory, you kill a bandit who stole a morph from you, but otherwise it's the exact same. Your method is way less luck reliant. I might try that some time. Thanks for explaining.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

If you have enough Dazers you can beat Ruby without taking any damage.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 25, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

Right, this makes sense. The thing with the bandits is the same, more or less, but harder to get right but you don't need morph. I've only seen it used in Speedruns where there's no time to morph things.

The thing I spoke about is the same as you said but instead of morphing an enemy to get the source to go into the empty spot in the inventory, you kill a bandit who stole a morph from you, but otherwise it's the exact same. Your method is way less luck reliant. I might try that some time. Thanks for explaining.

I'm struggling to see how relying on RNG for steals would somehow be a faster process than morphing something. But speedruns have used many unintuitive tricks before.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Vil posted:

But speedruns have used many unintuitive tricks before.
Yeah, here's a fresh one, beating NES FF1 by walking up and down the stairs for five munutes.
http://tasvideos.org/2816M.html

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

I'm struggling to see how relying on RNG for steals would somehow be a faster process than morphing something. But speedruns have used many unintuitive tricks before.

Just look at that video, he talks about grinding sources using elastic bands on your controller.

The glitch method is awsome though, my high luck stat allowed me to evade Air tram storm twice!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, here's a fresh one, beating NES FF1 by walking up and down the stairs for five munutes.
http://tasvideos.org/2816M.html

That particular staircase Conernia Castle F2 saves extra information because you're automatically warped to the king after defeating Garland so the game knows to put you on Corneria Castle F1 instead of back at the Temple of FIENDS. It also doesn't clear that info in an orderly fashion. So he keeps putting stairs info on the stack, the stack falls over into other information, someone becomes level 102, and the final boss is both triggered and runs away screaming from that person's herculean might, causing the credits.

Like the earlier Pokemon Yellow EAC runs, it's not very interesting to look at, but what happens on a technical level is hilarious.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

AzraelNewtype posted:

Instead of relying on a notoriously iffy computer translator, or our half-rememberings of insufficient studies, why don't we check out the J->E section of a Japanese dictionary designed by Japanese people for Japanese people?

Because due to how Japanese works, it's not just straight up なんとか, but it could just be なんと with the particle か at the end to indicate a question. Given the context of the animation and the attack itself, it would be safe to say that it would be "What" instead of "Somehow."

:japan:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Vil posted:

It's because they don't ever get the Morph Materia, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Man with Hat posted:

It's because they don't ever get the Morph Materia, IIRC.

That seems so unlikely. It's directly in your path in Temple of the Ancients. hell, I could have sworn you HAD to pick it up.

What probably is true is that when you're doing a segmented run, loading over and over until you get a good run of luck on Steal is faster than trying to finesse damage such that you can kill something with the Morph damage penalty applied to the already massively low physical damage you get at speedrun levels. Even on a single segment run, if the steals are early enough in the thing then just resetting until you get an acceptable run of Steal RNG would still be faster.

• Locked thread