Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

While it kinda sucks since I enjoy Top Gear, anyone saying that BBC is doing the wrong thing by sacking Clarkson are as stupid as the people who rose up in defense of the dude who made World's Worst Clydesdale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Show is dead. Rename thread to Roadkill Series Whatever - BAM!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Say what you will about Clarkson, he made the trains run on time!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's funny to me that the same people that claim to abhor violence are often the same people that fantasise about putting a bullet in the back of the heads of their enemies in the elite classes. And that's why I love to read guardian comments. Gahaha.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I hope the BBC ensures that the new Top Gear panders to a genderless, classless, raceless audience.

Because a society that has no feelings or bias to any or all of those things has never existed and will never exist.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
At least we'll get a good reality show out of picking the new Top Gear hosts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I hope the BBC ensures that the new Top Gear panders to a genderless, classless, raceless audience.

Because a society that has no feelings or bias to any or all of those things has never existed and will never exist.

What the hell are you talking about? What the hell are you advocating? Nobody is saying its wrong for Clarkson to skirt the edges of good taste or that he should be censored.

We are saying he can't verbally berate producers and punch them in the mouth for not being able to get a hot meal at a late hour. You are saying THAT is too much to ask?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I deeply apologize that the management of one of the world's largest broadcasters doesn't think hitting a guy in the face is boyhood antics when both people involved are over 30. Life is really hard for you right now, I know.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

What the hell are you talking about? What the hell are you advocating? Nobody is saying its wrong for Clarkson to skirt the edges of good taste or that he should be censored.

We are saying he can't verbally berate producers and punch them in the mouth for not being able to get a hot meal at a late hour. You are saying THAT is too much to ask?

I'm saying that too much is being made of calling someone out for being a) lazy and b) Irish. The punch is something that should have been paid off with an apology and a big fat check.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahaha. Okay Jeremy clarkson isn't an adult. He still exceeded you in every quantifiable way as an adult irl though. hosed up.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I'm saying that too much is being made of calling someone out for being a) lazy and b) Irish. The punch is something that should have been paid off with an apology and a big fat check.

The Irish lazy guy was asking for it after all by virtue of being Irish and lazy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

quote:

 earlier on 4 March, studio recording of Top Gear had taken place in Surrey and the presenters
had travelled that same evening to the location shoot in North Yorkshire;
 the incident occurred on a patio area of the Simonstone Hall Hotel, where Oisin Tymon was
working on location for Top Gear;
 the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness;
 it is the case that Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;

 the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion – both during the
attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to
sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting
was audible in a hotel bedroom;

 derogatory and abusive language, relating to Oisin Tymon and other members of the Top Gear
team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a
sustained period of time;
 it is clear that Oisin Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he
had lost his job;

 following the attack, I understand that Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for
examination;
 over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin
Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and
 it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.

It took a WITNESS stopping Clarkson from physically attacking his producer, after ranting and raving for nearly 20 minutes at him. Way to lay Clarkson's issues on the victim.

Bape Culture posted:

Hahaha. Okay Jeremy clarkson isn't an adult. He still exceeded you in every quantifiable way as an adult irl though. hosed up.

:allears:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

The Irish lazy guy was asking for it after all by virtue of being Irish and lazy.

You forgot Catholic, terrorist, overbreeding and potato eating. But that's okay, some English have been doing this for a lot longer.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

You forgot Catholic, terrorist, overbreeding and potato eating. But that's okay, some English have been doing this for a lot longer.

Yeah I need to brush up on my cultural insults, sorry everyone.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

I don't know, it's pretty easy for me to quanitfy how many coworkers I haven't punched when I didn't get drunk in a work setting.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

davebo posted:

I don't know, it's pretty easy for me to quanitfy how many coworkers I haven't punched when I didn't get drunk in a work setting.

I suppose this is the case for a lot of guardian commenters too. Unemployment does have its benefits.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I don't know whats more disturbing, the guy who thinks physical violence is the answer to mediating public disagreements or the people who are willing to place their favorite (and my favorite) show above the welfare of its production team.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

I suppose this is the case for a lot of guardian commenters too. Unemployment does have its benefits.

You kip, you.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Yeah man, I hear you. gently caress, back in the day a man could beat the gently caress out of his wife for making a lovely dinner, and now he can't even do that anymore! One small hit and the cops show up? loving liberals. Without violence how the gently caress is the wife even gonna learn how to cook properly?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Yeah man, I hear you. gently caress, back in the day a man could beat the gently caress out of his wife for making a lovely dinner, and now he can't even do that anymore! One small hit and the cops show up? loving liberals. Without violence how the gently caress is the wife even gonna learn how to cook properly?

Being punched is just a thing that happens from time to time. Jesus, it's like people don't know how to take a little tap every now and then, when they deserve it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know whats more disturbing, the guy who thinks physical violence is the answer to mediating public disagreements or the people who are willing to place their favorite (and my favorite) show above the welfare of its production team.

It's not like the guy's life was in danger. gently caress. Promote him to another show and move on.

Also anyone who thinks SJW is a "Men's Right Activist term!!!" sounds like a huge Gawker fan and thus is subhuman.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Excellent

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect a year or so from now that production team is going to be longing for the days when Jeremy Clarkson used to punch them once in a while. I know the internet has made everyone under the age of forty painfully sheltered, but in the real world people do emotional things and punches get thrown and for the most part it gets smoothed over with an apology and a handshake and then life goes on.

I'm not saying people shouldn't face consequences for their actions, but Jeremy Clarkson will continue to make absurd amounts of money while Top Gear will in all likelihood flounder and disappear into nothing while all the little guys in the production team you want to protect are conveniently forgotten.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I think they should get the guys from Regular Car Reviews, I'd love to see what they could do with £1million and an hour of airtime.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Being punched is just a thing that happens from time to time. Jesus, it's like people don't know how to take a little tap every now and then, when they deserve it.

Here's the thing...Hitting your co-worker after screaming at him for an extended period of time over a lack of hot food probably isn't justifiable. Sure if Jeremy and Oisin were yelling at each other and came to blows this probably wouldn't be that big of a thing? Maybe it would. The fact that he kept berating him after he had to be restrained by someone is slightly more telling of how this aftermath had to unfold. The BBC couldn't pay this to go away given the amount of witnesses and the precedent it would set.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I wish they had released the timeline of events. Did Jeremy, Richard, and James go to a pub for hours or did they finish shooting late, get to the hotel, and discover that there was no food service?

Because if it's the latter it's absolutely the producers job to make sure that the talent (and crew!) get fed. Still no excuse for throwing a punch, but the BBC can't rightly say that this happened through no fault of Oisin's.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also anyone who thinks SJW is a "Men's Right Activist term!!!" sounds like a huge Gawker fan and thus is subhuman.

No, its not strictly a MRA thing, but its most certainly not used in an enlightening format, and usually is used by someone that just wants to bitch about people calling them out on social issues.

And I hate Gawker.

Comrade Flynn posted:

It's not like the guy's life was in danger. gently caress. Promote him to another show and move on.

:qq: My favorite show :qq:

Seriously, I know in the US its a-okay to sweep this poo poo under the rug, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Symphoric posted:

I suspect a year or so from now that production team is going to be longing for the days when Jeremy Clarkson used to punch them once in a while. I know the internet has made everyone under the age of forty painfully sheltered, but in the real world people do emotional things and punches get thrown and for the most part it gets smoothed over with an apology and a handshake and then life goes on.

And I'm sure the production team for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit longed for the days they had movies to produce. Shows end, sometimes on their own, sometimes due to outside forces. Media production is generally not a life time gig. Its generally only the actors/hosts that get a lifetime paycheck out of it.

Symphoric posted:

I'm not saying people shouldn't face consequences for their actions, but Jeremy Clarkson will continue to make absurd amounts of money while Top Gear will in all likelihood flounder and disappear into nothing while all the little guys in the production team you want to protect are conveniently forgotten.

Look, I'd actually like to see a new format with the original Top Gear team. Everyone is whining and groaning right now, but I'm actually hoping some good change will come of this.

Change sucks, but this might be for the better.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Great, how will I know if I want an STI or a Golf R now?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Scottw330 posted:

Great, how will I know if I want an STI or a Golf R now?

Always a Golf R.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I think they should get the guys from Regular Car Reviews, I'd love to see what they could do with £1million and an hour of airtime.

Ewwww no thanks. Top gear was entertaining dispite being scripted and formulaic. RCR is just a gimmic that gets old after about one minute.

Now the roadkill guys on the other hand....

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
One, punching people you work with should get you fired.

Two, this has got to be a career killer for the guy who got punched. No matter how much noise the BBC makes about preventing retaliation, nobody is going to want to work with the guy who killed Top Gear. (Slightly) more fairly, if you can't defuse self-important prima donnas when they get wound up, what the gently caress are you doing in show business? That's like me pursuing a career that requires looks and personality.

Three, I know it's wrong, but we're talking about a potato-shaped old fart with pipe cleaners for arms going all Raging Bull on somebody, the mental image that conjures in my mind is just funny.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Symphoric posted:

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cfFnBNELs

Anyway, Clarkson is an idiot but firing him is just stupid. How many people involved in TG production are going to be hosed because of this? They should have just fined him a billion pounds or whatever and moved on with life. The BBC are shooting themselves and every little guy who works on the show at the same time.

Wait, is May the only one of them that doesn't live in a helicopter castle or haunted mansion?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

Two, this has got to be a career killer for the guy who got punched. No matter how much noise the BBC makes about preventing retaliation, nobody is going to want to work with the guy who killed Top Gear. (Slightly) more fairly, if you can't defuse self-important prima donnas when they get wound up, what the gently caress are you doing in show business? That's like me pursuing a career that requires looks and personality.

I guarentee he will be getting a settlement of some sort from the BBC.

However, Jeremy Clarkson wasn't exactly an upstanding citizen prior to this incident, he had been warned multiple times to not cross a line, and that he was getting dangerously close to that line. He then proceeded to bound across it. Prima Donna or not, its not like he did not have forewarning that the BBC was getting tired of his antics.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

While we're on the topic claiming anything is Gawker sounds like Gerber baby "OMG MY ETHICS!" pants pissing.

Slanderer posted:

Wait, is May the only one of them that doesn't live in a helicopter castle or haunted mansion?

May knows everyone in Hammersmith!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

While we're on the topic claiming anything is Gawker sounds like Gerber baby "OMG MY ETHICS!" pants pissing.

I do wonder what is with SJWs infatuation with calling people elementary school names. Pissbabies, shitlords, etc.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

:qq: My favorite show :qq:

:qq: That poor defenseless grown man :qq:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

I do wonder what is with SJWs infatuation with calling people elementary school names. Pissbabies, shitlords, etc.

They're hypocrites and not very smart op.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

:qq: That poor defenseless grown man :qq:

Oh, c'mon now.

If only he'd had a concealed carry to defend himself!

Bape Culture posted:

They're hypocrites and not very smart op.

Man, social progress sucks, how do we go back to Jim Crow and Women being told to shutup in public?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, c'mon now.

If only he'd had a concealed carry to defend himself!

Man, social progress sucks, how do we go back to Jim Crow and Women being told to shutup in public?

Yeah, modern SJWs are brave humanitarians fighting for the rights of the dhahahahah just kidding they just want to be "more equal" than the dirty white cis males.

Finally our national nightmare of clapping is being put to an end by these brave freedom fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

It shouldn't take much wondering.