Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Also the Newtype moment between Shia and Fumina was funny for a bunch of reasons. Including tears apparently substituting for plavsky particles?

This is a moment that I actually like from a plot perspective.

BF and BFT already established that Plavsky Particles can transmit and amplify emotions and Fumina's 'thing' is that she is actually the most passionate about Gunpla. (Even last episode she said that she loved Gunpla more than ever and she's been laboring at it longer.) So Fumina being able to, ever so briefly, power her Gunpla sheerly through her emotions and desire to win feels like a sensible thing both from an in-universe perspective and a character perspective. She didn't get a giant glowing power-up, she just got a half-second of movement which is all she needed.

It feels like a relatively sensible moment from a writing perspective and a character perspective.

Shia and Fumina's newtype rivalry is kind of :effort: though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What if that moment was foreshadowing for Fumina's onset of Assimilation?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I kind of like the Shia / Fumina "rivalry," because it's just Lady starting poo poo to make things more fun and the two of them going along with it for no other reason than Lady's involvement.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
so what are we gonna do with the last 2 episodes? I'm so weirded out that the final fight was here and they didn't use those extra two to build up the story better or something.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Apparently 25 is the final episode, and that one's the Meijin Cup.

Oh poo poo, what if the Meijin Cup is what Try was actually building up to, and all this battle crap was just window dressing? I'd partially rescind my "Too much Fight, not enough Build" remark if that's the case.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 25, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I shouldn't go from playing Type-0 HD to watching this again. That final battle reminds me way too much of the plot.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
That was a pretty decent final match, considering some of the stuff that came before it. Chuckled at the explanation for Franken-Burning. It was like they knew it was going to happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrifeHira posted:

That was a pretty decent final match, considering some of the stuff that came before it. Chuckled at the explanation for Franken-Burning. It was like they knew it was going to happen.

They did, kinda. It was to counteract the Portent's repair ability. Hence stuff like the Lightning's Booster docking with the Star Winning.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Actually, there is a reason for having the Meijin Cup be an episode - they still need to show off all those suits that people voted for in that "What suits would you like to see cameo in Build Fighters Try?" poll from way back near the start of the season last year, remember? And this is how they're going to get around actually having to animate all those super-huge designs that everyone voted for - by showing them as pieces built for display, not battle.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So that.... happened. I'll pretty much just be echoing what everyone else said here, the 2v2 fights were entertaining, while anything to do with Sekai predictably bubbled down into useless, horrid poo poo. It is stunning to me that this is the same episode count as the final battle from Build Fighters' tournament ending bout. They're trying to go with 'oh look at how big and flashy it is' but blowing up the earth doesn't have nearly the same weight as just kicking the poo poo out the Meijin in a mobile suit battle before punching the evil right off his face.

On the plus side we are effectively guaranteed a third season, and I don't think Sunrise has a track history of loving those up. Right? Right? :ohdear:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Comparing this to the end of season 1 is just painful. We had an absolutely badass fight in season 1, and then this very meh fight for season 2. The 2v2 was OK, although the winning starting back up because a tear fell on the controls to allow her to force a draw in the 2v2 fight was kind of dumb. I can't get over what the fights with Sekai could have been like, having an actual martial artist using a mobile suit built for that to actually use martial arts, not bullshit-named-attack-after-bullshit-named-attack which is what Sekai's fighting style is.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The best part of the episode was, "It sounds sad. But this is war." Which, all in all, is indicative of what Try is lacking as a show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actualy part of what I noticed about this episode is that it (finally) had a ton of Gundam callbacks. The opening was the opening to 0079, they fought in Side 7, the fights had a lot of in-references to various shows (Yuuma's beam saber arm!) and so-on. It was nice and something that really was missing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
drat son they worked all their magic on yuuma so none was left over for sekai

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
2 on 2 was great, mega super hyper winning beam was loving awesome and Fumina has hotter blood than any male on the show, goddamn.

Shame this show chose Sekai as its main. Everything would have worked better with another duo at the helm instead of forcing three.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this episode was disappointing because we know the creators can do better than this. tryon 3's fight was absolutely amazing, and then we get this half-assed beamspam final battle

this show makes me sick

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lessail posted:

drat son they worked all their magic on yuuma so none was left over for sekai

No amount of magic could have fixed that.

Echoing the popular opinion: 2v2 was great, "It sounds sad, but this is war," was great, Yuuma and Fumina were great altogether. Sekai was hot garbage. If I didn't know better, I could have thought the opening was the start of a new series.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Comparing this to the end of season 1 is just painful. We had an absolutely badass fight in season 1, and then this very meh fight for season 2. The 2v2 was OK, although the winning starting back up because a tear fell on the controls to allow her to force a draw in the 2v2 fight was kind of dumb. I can't get over what the fights with Sekai could have been like, having an actual martial artist using a mobile suit built for that to actually use martial arts, not bullshit-named-attack-after-bullshit-named-attack which is what Sekai's fighting style is.

The Winning should have straight up gone God Gundam Hyper Mode and trashed the G-Portent. You don't half-rear end the power of emotion.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Shinjobi posted:

2 on 2 was great, mega super hyper winning beam was loving awesome and Fumina has hotter blood than any male on the show, goddamn.

Well yeah, she's clearly Wonder Winning of the Wonderful 101.

To be honest, the thing that kinda shocked me about Sekai's fight was that, for a moment, he actually through a punch without needing to name it. I can't even remember if he's done anything of the sort in other matches for a while.

Beyond that, the fight in a way kinda feels indicative of the two conflicting styles of fighting in the Build Fighters sub-franchise so far. Ie, the 2v2 match involves custom model chicanery to a high degree in order to blind-side and overpower opponents, whilst Sekai vs Wilfrid is more super moves and power ups hitting each other in the hope that one flinches first.

Seriously, Sekai just kinda wills a sword into existence, gets the 'he's improving mid-fight?!' response, whilst Yuuma had a beam saber built inside the Lightning's forearm (presumably learning a lesson from Tryon 3).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sneak Peak of Sakai's next show:

Seriously though, they Literally went Beyblade's BitBeasts on us near the end.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Astro Nut posted:

Well yeah, she's clearly Wonder Winning of the Wonderful 101.

To be honest, the thing that kinda shocked me about Sekai's fight was that, for a moment, he actually through a punch without needing to name it. I can't even remember if he's done anything of the sort in other matches for a while.

Beyond that, the fight in a way kinda feels indicative of the two conflicting styles of fighting in the Build Fighters sub-franchise so far. Ie, the 2v2 match involves custom model chicanery to a high degree in order to blind-side and overpower opponents, whilst Sekai vs Wilfrid is more super moves and power ups hitting each other in the hope that one flinches first.

Seriously, Sekai just kinda wills a sword into existence, gets the 'he's improving mid-fight?!' response, whilst Yuuma had a beam saber built inside the Lightning's forearm (presumably learning a lesson from Tryon 3).

Speaking of which...How does punching so fast you somehow make 4 hands turn into making a loving sword out of fire? THAT MAKES NO loving SENSE!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

Speaking of which...How does punching so fast you somehow make 4 hands turn into making a loving sword out of fire? THAT MAKES NO loving SENSE!

Yeah, that kinda confused the hell out of me. I mean, sure whatever Burning Finger Sword but what the hell?!.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Khisanth Magus posted:

no the 4 arm strike was wilfred's move that sekais loser friend taught him about before the battle

burning finger sword is the perfect counter to that because um sword beats lance?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well I think what Junya was doing was emulating Wilfrid to try and make Sekai think beforehand on how to counter it, but the response from our resident martial artist was not particularly creative.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Well I think what Junya was doing was emulating Wilfrid to try and make Sekai think beforehand on how to counter it, but the response from our resident martial artist was not particularly creative.

The Burning Finger Sword makes no sense. Domon was a martial artist but he used swords as well (From beam sabers up to the infamous one he carried around.) So him getting a sword makes complete sense.

Jigen Haoh on the other hand has shown itself to be entirely hand-to-hand and Sekai avoids weapons even when they would be viable. Why does he create a sword?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to see Sekai's master next episode. gently caress the third season, answer the tease now Japan.:mad:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I want to see Sekai's master next episode. gently caress the third season, answer the tease now Japan.:mad:

I just want the third season to involve Sekai as little as possible. Have Sei wreck him in the opening round of the tournament and give us a protagonist that doesn't suck. Preferably Fumina. Also have Kijima hit by a bus on the way to the tournament.

You know what annoys me the most about this episode? Saga's wrist. Literally nothing came of his supposed injury, and it only serves to cheapen the victory for the Try Fighters since they were fighting a handicapped opponent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My biggest problem with this episode is that it teased that season three is going to be these gimps at the world tournament. It's be okay if they drowned Sekai in the bathtub beforehand or something, I guess.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I actually enjoyed the Sekai vs Wilfrid 1v1 :shrug:

The sword was a dumb way to deal with the lance bits and makes no sense if you think about it for even a second, but there wasn't an overwhelming amount of Jigen Haou spam, there was a lot of pure brawling to go with powerup fuckery, and while they were retreading old ground, FrankenBurning was pretty drat neat.

I feel like even if Sekai's been fairly static through the show he's shown marked improvement here. I guess you can argue if it's too little too late, but the battle felt like they were actually thinking about the 3v3 dynamics for once and everything came together fairly well for a big battle finale.

I had to laugh about them literally blowing up the earth with insane Final Burst clash, but, hey, it wasn't as bad as I think everyone is making it out to be.

I'm just sad we couldn't get more of this while the series was actually going. I think this last string of episodes (Tryon 3 Battle + Full Cloth + Final Burst) are actually really well done, but we could have done with more of it interspersed throughout the show.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 25, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Why was Wilfrid's have bits a big deal? He had homing lasers before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why was Wilfrid's have bits a big deal? He had homing lasers before.

Bits are generally considered the most dangerous and flexible weapon in a Gundam series short of a colony laser.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I honestly didn't mind the sword, but only because it was Sekai doing something different.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the rainbow plavsky try burnings are a better counter to the lance bits than a sword imo

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, for a final showdown...it was okay.

As others have said, Yuuma and Fumina vs. Shia and Adou were the more entertaining matches. I also would have preferred a tag-team setup as well, since we could possibly avoid the "one important character and two pointless lumps of poo poo" that the 3v3 format spawned. They just managed to get the action feel down for those fights, to the point where I was genuinely entertained by their battles (silly conclusion to Shia vs. Fumina aside). Whereas Wil and Sekai...was so goddamn boring. Yes, lets hype up this rivalry...only to somehow purposely go out of the way to half-rear end the execution.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

Why does he create a sword?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

The best part of the episode was, "It sounds sad. But this is war." Which, all in all, is indicative of what Try is lacking as a show.

Adou and Yuuma actually putting some passion into their fight rather than the show's usual "I want to win because winning is nice I guess? Also we need to win because we're the designated protagonists maybe?" was another good example of stuff the show's been missing so far.

It's weird how Fumina went from being the best character in the first few episodes to being totally sidelined to the point where her "rivalry" is barely an afterthought, and Yuuma somehow ended up with two good rivalries (although the total lack of aftermath to his fight with Adou is weird, almost as if they forgot he's supposed to have a grudge with him).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 25, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Winning Gundam owns but yeah, Fumina is... there?

You could have done a lot for her just by giving every scene Sekai has with Shia to her and Fumina so they can actually interact with one another.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

Star Winning Gundam owns but yeah, Fumina is... there?

You could have done a lot for her just by giving every scene Sekai has with Shia to her and Fumina so they can actually interact with one another.

So in this scenario who gets to have the jealous fits Fumina had for Sekai getting close with a different girl?

fakeedit: Wait actually it's obvious. Clearly Minato has to get super jealous at Fumina hanging out with Shia, half romantic jealousy and half cause she's a good builder too. This show writes itself if Sekai didn't exist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the whole fight was exceptionally pretty, but needed more emotional investment. I think that the Gunpla Academy being really bland was a particularly big problem - compare them with Tatsuya from season one, and there's just no contest regarding who's more fun to watch and fun to see interact with the main characters. They just weren't willing enough to laugh at them, to make them the sort of goofy, larger-than-life personalities that feel like a real presence for our heroes to have fun, spectacular battles with. Wilfrid was a particularly big offender - he was basically 'honourable guy with overpowered Gundam' and that was it. Make him the teenage Master Asia to Sekai's Domon, or an utter weirdo like Mr. Bushido, and watch the sparks fly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, literally this. It would have made their rivalry work (they just want to fight each other because they're friends and fighting is cool!). The newtype moment literally suggests that this is supposed to be the nature of their relationship, so it's even more baffling.

e; as an aside, for all the baffling script issues, the show does have a fantastic soundtrack.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Speaking of the soundtrack, I was baffled when Lucas' theme played for the final fights.

I mean, really? There are still songs that haven't even shown up yet! I was seriously expecting this to be the duel theme.

• Locked thread