Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Pox parties are where you eat each other's vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Wait, how old is the chicken pox vaccine? I'm 30 and had never heard of it before a few years ago. Has it really been around for 20 years?

Unless you were one of the kids who got the vaccine tested on them, yes. Which probably explains why all my classmates got chickenpox when I was absolutely sure there was a vaccine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jakcson posted:

Are pox parties those things where kids with chickenpox spit in your mouth, like in that South Park episode?

Americans have been known to do things more ridiculous than that...(like knowingly drinking radioactive water, which was an actual fad in the 20th century, and I'm sure that didn't negatively impact any future generations; to be fair, cancer is not a preventable disease, although you can react to it)

Probably not, to be totally honest

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Probably not, to be totally honest

You're probably right.

Mystery ingredients in fast food/microwave dinners, asbestos, and all kinds of things that were widely used before they were found to be extremely harmful (kinda like those prescription medications with side effects that are worse than the problem you are trying to solve), probably have all contributed to the prevalence of disease and genetic ailments.

On the other hand, they could've always been there, and at this point maybe all we really need is to start cleaning the genetic code that we give to our kids, Gattaca style (yes, that is the proper way to spell the movie title; eat it, nerds).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Beans cause autism:

http://www.livescience.com/50248-children-autism-gi-symptoms.html

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jakcson posted:

You're probably right.

Mystery ingredients in fast food/microwave dinners, asbestos, and all kinds of things that were widely used before they were found to be extremely harmful (kinda like those prescription medications with side effects that are worse than the problem you are trying to solve), probably have all contributed to the prevalence of disease and genetic ailments.

On the other hand, they could've always been there, and at this point maybe all we really need is to start cleaning the genetic code that we give to our kids, Gattaca style (yes, that is the proper way to spell the movie title; eat it, nerds).

Bro, do you even understand genetics?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Bro, do you even understand genetics?

Bro, do you want a yes or a no response to that question?

I don't even know how to answer your question when I don't know what kind of answer you want, and I'm not entirely sure what the implied question is.

Fist bump, bro. Let's chug some booze and then give some girls some roofies.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 25, 2015

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Jakcson posted:

Bro, do you want a yes or a no response to that question?

I don't even know how to answer your question when I don't know what kind of answer you want, and I'm not entirely sure what the implied question is.

Fist bump, bro. Let's chug some booze and then give some girls some roofies.

I'll give you a hint: someone who understands genetics would know to differentiate somatic and gametic cells

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I dunno, the unknown chemicals in roofies might cause germinal mutations, adding further instability to the gene pool, brah.

Palace of Hate posted:

I'll give you a hint: someone who understands genetics would know to differentiate somatic and gametic cells

:hfive:

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jesus, the comments are just :stare:

quote:

and is this due to monsanto 's ruining the good bacteria in the soil??? which we need in our gut ?? we're so screwed..[sic]

quote:

Autism spectrum diagnoses stem from an autoimmune disease originating in the gut. Of course there is a correlation.

:bang:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I got it when I was 12 from kids on the bus. It was pretty miserable. My sister and brother had it worse though - they had pox in their throats and fevers that reached 106. It's pretty horrid and i'm glad there is a vaccine now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tigntink posted:

I got it when I was 12 from kids on the bus. It was pretty miserable. My sister and brother had it worse though - they had pox in their throats and fevers that reached 106. It's pretty horrid and i'm glad there is a vaccine now.

Due to a priming effect, I initially read this post as discussing how you caught autism.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Due to a priming effect, I initially read this post as discussing how you caught autism.

The kids on the bus were playing with vaccines and WiFi devices.

E: And beans.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
The American idiot-right has been going pro-vax lately, I've been seeing a lot of the loudmouth conservatives on my feed sharing stuff like this: http://louderwithcrowder.com/5-big-myths-about-immunizations/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who is diagnosing autism at 18 months?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ashgromnies posted:

The American idiot-right has been going pro-vax lately, I've been seeing a lot of the loudmouth conservatives on my feed sharing stuff like this: http://louderwithcrowder.com/5-big-myths-about-immunizations/

I would be comfortable in saying that they aren't pro-vax for the sake of vaccination, but a way to stick it to the liberal hippies who are anti-vax.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

The comments are beautiful. Mostly reasonable on this issue with a tinge of racism, and then the batshit crazy racists.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Lol.

"Group B (the wetbacks)"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not vaccinating our white kids was working fine until THE MEXICANS showed up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This thread is a bit American-centric. Meanwhile, guess what's awesome?

This.

I'm not even adding an "awesome considering..." asterisk here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xander77 posted:

This thread is a bit American-centric. Meanwhile, guess what's awesome?

This.

I'm not even adding an "awesome considering..." asterisk here.

Neither of your links appear to work.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I think it's funny that some people are blaming these outbreaks on illegal immigrants when Mexico has a better vaccination rate than we do.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

RE: the chicken pox stuff, a lot of people my age (31) and up are still surprised there's a vaccine for it (the ones who don't have kids). Most of us just got it "naturally" (i.e. the lovely way.)

I didn't. Not for lack of trying on my parents part, since the vaccine wasn't approved by our insurance until I was in middle school and there was no requirement for it either. SO! Lots of time spent playing with the stupid neighbors kids I hated to try and catch it early. We got a good reminder of why when the school librarian was hospitalized for weeks with chicken pox when she was in her thirties.

Fortunately, I DID get the vaccination eventually. I probably need to get tested to make sure I still have antibodies, I don't remember if I ever got the booster since they didn't start requiring those until later. But I'm not sweating the lack of going through what all my friends went through (though since they usually got like a week off from school, I remember feeling jealous :P )

I've got a friend a few years older than me that got her teeth ruined by a bad case of chicken pox as a kid, and my grandpa got shingles so bad I was terrified of getting chicken pox because I didn't ever want to catch shingles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

Smug hatred seems to be the only thing that gets these people to do anything. If it saves their kids I'm all for it, though.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

SedanChair posted:

Insane moms on facebook. A highschool friend of mine was letting everyone know how her son was "autistic" before he was even a year old.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pangstrom posted:

Lol.

"Group B (the wetbacks)"

Fun fact, Mexico has a higher measles vaccination rate than the US.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fun fact, Mexico has a higher measles vaccination rate than the US.
Yeah. I just imagined like part of her brain trying to keep up the appearance of saying a general dispassionate truth (Group B) and then the rest immediately breaking out of that posture to chime in with the wetbacks clarification.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Irradiation posted:

Insane moms on facebook. A highschool friend of mine was letting everyone know how her son was "autistic" before he was even a year old.

Good lord, that's Munchausen by proxy territory.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

SedanChair posted:

From a charitable interpretation of that article, it seems like maybe it was "keep tabs on these kids for x number of years, then at the end see which ones were diagnosed with autism and if there were any significant differences when they were babies/toddlers from those that were not diagnosed".

The article posted:

The children were born between 2002 and 2008, and had follow-ups to look for signs of autism until 2013.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Not sure if this has been posted before, but have some vaccination data

There's relevant stuff in the eradication of diseases category too

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/anti-vaccination-parents-may-face-welfare-bans/story-fneuzlbd-1227292380498

I think this may already be in effect somewhere in my state, as I recall a fellow student who was a anti-vaxxer was loudly complaining about "I cans't get ma Centrelink payments because I's refuse to vaccinate my kids!"

Although he also thought that the Japanese sabotaged their own nuclear reactor at Fukushima.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

quote:

But conscientious objectors only need to fill in a form stating they have a “personal, philosophical, religious or medical belief involving a conviction that vaccination should not take place” to continue accessing welfare payments.
How do you have a medical belief? Personal I can understand, philosophical not so much (though I would love to see this as an option with the person being required to articulate their objection along with a lot of the results of that objection, specifically addressing the tragedy of the commons), religious I guess (though I would also like to see the scripture or whatever quoted and signed off on by a few priests) but medical?

How does that make sense? I like the idea of cutting them off from benefits, except for the kids suffering as a result.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

People with immunodeficiency diseases can't get vaccines with living viruses in them for obvious reasons but that wouldn't be a "belief" per se

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

eNeMeE posted:

How do you have a medical belief? Personal I can understand, philosophical not so much (though I would love to see this as an option with the person being required to articulate their objection along with a lot of the results of that objection, specifically addressing the tragedy of the commons), religious I guess (though I would also like to see the scripture or whatever quoted and signed off on by a few priests) but medical?

How does that make sense? I like the idea of cutting them off from benefits, except for the kids suffering as a result.

I'm extremely pro-vax but I'd recommend looking up epistemology and theory of knowledge if you want to know about beliefs and knowledge.

e: Personally I'd rather it be for religious grounds only that needs to be signed off by a religious leader or something, I don't agree with the 'medical beliefs' things either because the evidence for vaccines being perfectly safe is extremely extensive, to the point where it is extremely unlikely that the established literature is wrong. My epistemology comment was more along the lines on how you can define a medical belief.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 6, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

eNeMeE posted:

I think it's basically intending to differentiate beliefs based on the source.

Total laymen who's done no research? Personal.

Some kind of something stemming from a moral/ethical place that doesn't reduce to a recognized religion? Philosophical.

Motivated by a recognized religion? Religious.

Did some of the googling on the interwebs and read up on some medical information? Medical.

None of the legal discussions I've seen on this state that a true belief is required, so if you've got a sincerely held false belief that you should be exempt from vaccines, there you go.

E: Just to be clear I'm not advocating for any of this or saying it's morally acceptable or even makes sense at more than a passing glance, just trying to explain where I think the policy is coming from.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 6, 2015

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Daredevil on Netflix had the line "I've got a measles outbreak to deal with because idiot parents don't want to vaccinate" from a nurse to a journalist, which I found entertaining.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Here's something that made me laugh.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/anti-vaxx-mom-abandons-movement-after-all-seven-her-of-her-kids-get-whooping-cough/#.VSknf-hNBDg.twitter

quote:

Writng on The ScentificParent blog, a chagrined Canadian mom announced that she is leaving the anti-vaxx movement after all of her seven children — four of them completely unvaccinated — have come down with whooping cough.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

It's a pity her children had to suffer in order to puncture her hubris, but at least she didn't stubbornly refuse to treat them post-infection.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sic Semper Goon posted:

It's a pity her children had to suffer in order to puncture her hubris, but at least she didn't stubbornly refuse to treat them post-infection.

Hypocritically running to the doctors she thought were Big Pharma hacks... :v:

I'd like a straight out 'I was wrong and stupid' instead of some equivocating on how she Just Cared Too Much and had Legitimate Doubts and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wow turns out the massive piles of historical evidence that whooping cough really exists, including the testimony of her own mother, weren't made up, loving go figure who could have expected that.

• Locked thread