Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

people who want to hasten the environmental collapse of california :unsmigghh:

californias problem is that they are trying to farm in the desert. it has nothing to do with how much water almonds use. if you were to farm somewhere that was not a desert the water usage would be trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pointers posted:

same, but being kind to other people

I'm nice to everyone.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Every Fortune 500 company has a bunch of expensive domestic programmers. every company is a software company in one way or another.

:whatup:

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Shaggar posted:

californias problem is that they are trying to farm in the desert. it has nothing to do with how much water almonds use. if you were to farm somewhere that was not a desert the water usage would be trivial.

before they built an office park on it, silicon valley used to be the most fertile farmland in the united states

Apr 7, 2003

Nagato posted:

before they built an office park on it, silicon valley used to be the most fertile farmland in the united states

more like silicon failey. haha.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?

Citizen Tayne posted:

more like silicon failey. haha.

:c00l:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nagato posted:

also that whole "temperate growing climate in the winter" thing coupled with "shitloads of sunlight" which means that you can buy tomatoes in january from the store

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

the valley isn't desert you loving idiot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

stop getting shaggared

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the valley isn't desert you loving idiot

overlay the drought map...

desertification is a real thing

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 25, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

duTrieux. posted:

build a pipe, send it all to us

"boo hoo we have too much snow"

tbh when you combine the snowiest winter on record with there being no snow melt and relief in between storms, you'd be cranky too

but if it were feasible to send you the melt so you can grow more almonds sure

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
man this thread grew when I wasn't looking

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it is best not to look and just blindly post

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

it is best not to look and just blindly post

did i miss more pittsburghchat

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nagato posted:

nobody's farming in silicon valley, though. instead they used that fertile farmland to build office parks for programmers to sit in while they ~disrupt~ agriculture

a cursory look finds such wonderments as "databases, but for farmers", "excel charts, but for farmers", "weather forecasting, but for farmers", "wi-fi cloud-enabled soil sensors", "uber, but for tractors" and "hydroponic shipping containers for growing weed crops in"

truly, with such innovations, there should be no trouble at all for californian farmers whose fields currently look like this:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Silicon Valley is like the size of a single family farm in the midwest. all of it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ayn rand hand job posted:

did i miss more pittsburghchat

no clue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

didn't silicon valley get paved over with semiconductor and aerospace firms long before the software people took up shop? I mean, that's why it's called silicon valley, and uber-for-compost-bins didn't create those superfund sites. is the fertile-land footprint of SV much bigger now than it was in 1980?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Subjunctive posted:

didn't silicon valley get paved over with semiconductor and aerospace firms long before the software people took up shop? I mean, that's why it's called silicon valley, and uber-for-compost-bins didn't create those superfund sites. is the fertile-land footprint of SV much bigger now than it was in 1980?

yes. the eugenicist inventor of the transistor laid down silicon valley's foundations in the 60's (?)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shifty Pony posted:

lol all that does is let a shell company owned by a minority woman disabled veteran win the contract at a higher bid price then immediately subcontract it to megacorp contractor (mysteriously the same one every time) at higher than what the megacorp originally bid.

at least that's how it works for federal contracting.

same way for state contracts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Silicon Valley is like the size of a single family farm in the midwest. all of it.

santa clara county is 800,000 acres

not big, but a lot bigger than any farm i've ever heard of

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't forget san mateo county, home of EA, oracle, and facebook

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the old santa clara valley was full of orchards but i don't know if it ever had many more conventional farms

not sure if that's actually because of some sort of meaningful soil or climate difference, somebody should ask displeased moo cow

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
when the tech bubble pops i think i will actually miss being able to type "uber for X" (where X is basically anything) into google and get a company name back. "uber for ambulances"? yep. "uber for airplanes"? you'd better believe it. "uber for tractors"? of loving course there is

Apr 7, 2003

the TWC-Comcast merger is absolutely creating a monopoly and I have no idea why it was permitted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

the TWC-Comcast merger is absolutely creating a monopoly and I have no idea why it was permitted.

it is not creating a new monopoly, friend.

there are absolutely 0 places in america where anyone has a choice between time warner or comcast, that would be lost due to a merger. their service areas are entirely seperate.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Citizen Tayne posted:

america.

Apr 7, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

hey remember when TWC and Comcast carved up acquired companies in such a way as to have separate non-competitive fiefdoms? I sure do!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

hey remember when TWC and Comcast carved up acquired companies in such a way as to have separate non-competitive fiefdoms? I sure do!

ah yes, cable competition, definitely a thing that really existed in america in a meaningful way ever

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

remember when comcast wrote a letter to the fcc explaining that the merger should be allowed, and then our senators signed their names to it?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

ah yes, cable competition, definitely a thing that really existed in america in a meaningful way ever

if i still lived on the east side of pa i would totally have service electric

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't get me wrong, san jose is a poo poo hole and it would be better off returning to orchards and farms and stuff, but like 3/4th of santa clara county is state parks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

just let att/verizon/comcast-twc combine and go back to the old att is the heavily regulated monopoly model

i mean, the rate we're going it'll just be a lightly regulated single monopoly in a few years so...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I'd be ok with someone disrupting the printer industry, look at this poo poo

HP makes all their money on toner. I sell enterprise software and managed print systems and lol that poo poo is so expensive theres like 250 points on it, its p sweet. Massive margins on oem toner

Ask me about copiers printers n toner if u care

And laserficheee

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nintendo Kid posted:

there are absolutely 0 places in america where anyone has a choice between time warner or comcast, that would be lost due to a merger. their service areas are entirely seperate.

pre-breakup att was not a monopoly because the bell operating companies didn't compete with each other

--fishmech

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to be fair to hp theres also like $0.50 of electronics in there too as well as a $0.10 plastic case

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

pre-breakup att was not a monopoly because the bell operating companies didn't compete with each other

--fishmech

in this case you have a choice between comcast and att

or satellite in some areas

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

omg are you people still talking about almonds

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PCjr sidecar posted:

--fishmech

no, child. but post-breakup att was still 7 monopolies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

omg are you people still talking about almonds

the tech bubble isnt moving fast enough

in a decent world the bougie bus would be taking off now, and someone would be coming up with an uber for sidewalks

• Locked thread