Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jblade posted:

Glad you're liking it...this is a problem I've wrestled with because although it can be helpful, I don't feel like the TC's popular enough to put a ton of work into easing newer players into the complicated mechanics. As much as I'd like our work to be more widely recognized, the only mods that really seem to attract a huge audience are either gameplay mods that are simple to get into (like BD or demonsteele) or mods with some kind of gimmick behind it (The 2.5D 'demake' of DNF was fantastic, but it got a ton of attention because it was aimed at being the DNF that never was)

Classic mode-only is because the newer renderers just weren't suitable - the polymost renderer doesn't support additive rendering or TROR (which is used to make all kinds of sector over sector constructs, including the insane fully 3D airship level you'll get to eventually in episode two) and Polymer doesn't support skyboxes, it has a limited draw distance and of course the performance problems people have.

The EDF missions are basically a more polished version of the Classic Collection that was in episode one - they're normal Duke usermaps but with a bit of new stuff in them using AMC TC effects. I did consider taking them out due to the size of the base game but I ran a poll and the majority of people wanted it to stay so I integrated it into the main game a bit more naturally.
I tried this and the UI seemed kind of broken, resulting in me picking a character I didn't want after the intro, which lead to me discovering that you can't skip cutscenes, I guess? I might be doing something wrong since the manual mentions something about a bat file I'm supposed to run, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that in the folder, so I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

What way's it broken? I'll see if I can fix it but I need a bit more info. You can use the mouse cursor to select a character - if you picked one you didn't like you can just head into the briefing room and you can select again. You can skip most cutscenes - that intro cutscene does have a teleporter that appears at the beginning and it unlocks after beating the first mission in that episode (truth be told it was supposed to unlock when you finished the cutscene but there was some problems with the coding and I couldn't fix it in time before releasing)

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
There's a new version of the Outlaws installer on GOG. It fixes all the Glide issues.

http://www.gog.com/forum/outlaws_a_handful_of_missions/outlaws_handful_of_missions_has_been_updated

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

closeted republican posted:

I dunno, I find most of the weapons fun and satisfying to use. Getting headshots with the Razorjack and Rifle is a blast, the Minigun is awesome, and the bigass explosion that happens when a lot of Eightball grenades hit something at once is really cool.
My biggest problem with the game is all the goddamn dodging. It's like, I have this powerful rocket launcher, but if I actually shoot my rockets directly at the enemy, it will be dodged at least half the time, making using it an utter crapshoot. I can compensate by loading an obscene number of rockets in at once, aiming toward the ground and hoping they dodge into another rocket in the fan, but it's a huge ammo waste. Doesn't help that the average enemy can usually suck up a shot or three. This applies to pretty much all the projectile weapons I've got, honestly; the Dispersion Pistol, the ASMD alt-fire, the Eightball Gun/RL, the Flak Cannon (but that works like a shotgun up-close, when they lack time to dodge, so that's moot), the Razorjack, the Bio Rifle (although I tend to use that one in close-range)...

Hitscan's a bit better, at least, although up until Sunspire my only real options for that were limited to the Enforcer (which is the game's peashooter to my understanding) and the ASMD (which was decent, if a little underpowered unless you used the battery, but ammo pickups were a tad more uncommon than I'd care for). There's also the Stinger, which is technically projectile but has projectiles fast enough that they're not often dodged (although it, too, is a little underpowered for my taste - primary, anyway, haven't tried secondary). Only just got the Minigun from the Sunspire, and haven't yet got the Sniper Rifle, but that's how I feel about the weapons thus far.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Hell yeah, one hit kill boss! Thanks Eisenfaust: Legacy!

Some people hatewatch shows they don't like, I hateplay games I utterly despise. Free me from this hell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Commander Keenan posted:

There's a new version of the Outlaws installer on GOG. It fixes all the Glide issues.

http://www.gog.com/forum/outlaws_a_handful_of_missions/outlaws_handful_of_missions_has_been_updated
Do I have to redownload the whole game for this? Does anyone know where to change these options in the original release?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
This may have already been mentioned, but version 6.20 of OBLIGE has been released.

Not that any of you would ever admit to downloading and using something like that, but there are some minor improvements, and I like it. It's also kinda handy when you are trying out mods that don't come with any maps.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

OBLIGE is really great with DoomRPG+RL

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

OBLIGE is really great with DoomRPG+RL

I was messing around with a ridiculous map that started me in a closet with 2 minigun guys and a bunch of nightmare demons and it was just great.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I am playing AMC Ep1 (just heard of the TC) before going through the new release. I have to say I am really enjoying it, it fits somewhere between a lost BUILD game and a non-ropey version of the Duke TCs I used to play in the late 90s/early 2000s.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Download episode 2, it's both Episodes integrated into one mod.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Download episode 2, it's both Episodes integrated into one mod.

poo poo. Can I copy saves over? I'm fighting Jekyll right now, would not want to start over...

e: yes, this in the description for Ep 2.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 25, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazvall posted:

I still enjoy a Half-Life play through every once in awhile. The beginning of the game is classic as heck. I could do without some of the platforming and bullet sponge monsters that come later on. Overall I'd rather play Opposing Force, however. HL1 was all about the mod scene. That's really what I think about when someone mentions it.

Yeah, I really loved the HL mods, and I was bummed that so few of them made the transition to Source. It feels like the late-90s and very early 2000s were a real bonanza for successful game-modding.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jakcson posted:

This may have already been mentioned, but version 6.20 of OBLIGE has been released.

Not that any of you would ever admit to downloading and using something like that, but there are some minor improvements, and I like it. It's also kinda handy when you are trying out mods that don't come with any maps.
Oh, no, I openly admit to dicking around with random level generators. Heck, one of my fondest, earliest Doom memories is breaking out SLIGE shortly after getting Doom 2, and making absurdly long levels with it.

Of course, with both SLIGE and OBLIGE, the shortcomings become almost immediately apparent. Both tend to produce extremely boxy end results - SLIGE opting for long corridors ad nauseam while OBLIGE prefers large cuboid rooms with the occasional outdoor canyon or two. Enemy placement is hit-or-miss - only so much you can do with a computer deciding how encounters should go, I suppose. Generally speaking, I tire of the end results within a couple of maps.

Still, I have a bit of fondness for the things, and am glad they exist and (in the case of OBLIGE, anyway) are still being revised. They definitely have their uses.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

site posted:

Do I have to redownload the whole game for this? Does anyone know where to change these options in the original release?

If you're part of the Galaxy alpha, you can download just the modified files there. If not, run olcfg.exe from the game folder as admin, and turn off the "smooth" options in Advanced, and turn on "maintain all sprite directions".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Regarding the April Agitation:

I'm sad I had to vote against Unholy Cathedral, that level's always been special to me. But there's no way I could not vote for Against Thee Wickedly.

Same goes for the Pit (I actually like the up-down part a lot) but the Chasm is just too too loving good.

Also that's a cool detail about E4M5 I didn't know. Go all the way Theresa!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

poo poo. Can I copy saves over? I'm fighting Jekyll right now, would not want to start over...

e: yes, this in the description for Ep 2.
You should be able to copy your data folder and eduke32.cfg file to carry on your progress (but beat that level first because save games aren't compatible) with all the research data and equipment uncovered. Happy to hear you're liking the TC - if anybody else is on the fence, there's a reveiw/overview of the TC here (it's titled a review but Mikko made a map and beta testing so I consider it more of an overview rather than an objective piece)

quote:

Yeah, I really loved the HL mods, and I was bummed that so few of them made the transition to Source. It feels like the late-90s and very early 2000s were a real bonanza for successful game-modding.
I loved Science and Industry, it sucks that the Source version never happened. I only got to play Desert Crisis with about 3 other friends, it was fun but I really regret having missed the hey-day of all the wacky teamplay mods that used to come out.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 25, 2015

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Oh, no, I openly admit to dicking around with random level generators. Heck, one of my fondest, earliest Doom memories is breaking out SLIGE shortly after getting Doom 2, and making absurdly long levels with it.

Of course, with both SLIGE and OBLIGE, the shortcomings become almost immediately apparent. Both tend to produce extremely boxy end results - SLIGE opting for long corridors ad nauseam while OBLIGE prefers large cuboid rooms with the occasional outdoor canyon or two. Enemy placement is hit-or-miss - only so much you can do with a computer deciding how encounters should go, I suppose. Generally speaking, I tire of the end results within a couple of maps.

Still, I have a bit of fondness for the things, and am glad they exist and (in the case of OBLIGE, anyway) are still being revised. They definitely have their uses.

I usually set my OBLIGE map size to Tiny, because I tend to get confused when the maps are too big. It's also not quite as boring.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

OBLIGE is also really good to play Aeons of Death, in my opinion - huge levels make it easier to handle the chaos.

I'm gonna admit one thing that's kinda shameful - in my first attempt at learning the ropes of Doom modding, I dissected one particularly infamous mod. Can you guess which one? Why yes, I took apart and studied the innards of Nazi Auferstehung: A DukenDoom Adventure!

It's a really crappy and basic mod, with ripped sprites and textures from Wolfenstein (of course), Duke, Alien Doom and many others, with minimal .def modification (I think the SS-dudes now shoot plasma gun projectiles?), all of it slapped on obviously SLIGE-generated levels (even the "S" roof is still there!). But it was primitive enough to easily disassemble and take a look at inner workings of Doom add-on. I never really used this knowledge to create anything publishable, at least.

Oh, and just discovered that Doom Wad Station has now been resurrected, under new address - http://doomwadstation.net/ - which is really cool, it was the first site with pwads which I was visiting regularly. Too bad Jive (the original admin) is no longer with us, but at least someone took the torch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Commander Keenan posted:

If you're part of the Galaxy alpha, you can download just the modified files there. If not, run olcfg.exe from the game folder as admin, and turn off the "smooth" options in Advanced, and turn on "maintain all sprite directions".

Doh. Thank you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I did my duty and voted! :black101:

Can't wait to see the results.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I just watched a Plutonia speedrun and I realized that I've confused Plutonia and Doom 2 for the past 15 years.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jblade posted:

What way's it broken? I'll see if I can fix it but I need a bit more info. You can use the mouse cursor to select a character - if you picked one you didn't like you can just head into the briefing room and you can select again. You can skip most cutscenes - that intro cutscene does have a teleporter that appears at the beginning and it unlocks after beating the first mission in that episode (truth be told it was supposed to unlock when you finished the cutscene but there was some problems with the coding and I couldn't fix it in time before releasing)
It's scaled weirdly with a bunch of overlapping elements:

When I got to the character selection menu the sensitivity was insane/lopsided and the cusor was constrained to an oddly shaped box rather than the edges of the screen. Despite this, I was able to click on the character I wanted (the top left one) but it didn't seem to do anything, so I started clicking on characters at random and ended up with the deer head guy, who I didn't want.

Am I supposed to be starting the game using eduke32.exe? The manual says there should be a bat file but I can't find anything like that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I also have this issue (also in a widescreen resolution if it matters), but I just use the keyboard to use the main menu and it works well enough.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Is the fire button bound to mouse-click? You should just be able to click on the character portrait and play as them. I haven't had anybody else report an issue like this so it might be worth double checking your config file. You do just run the game with Eduke32 yeah, that's the intended method.

The alignment on the menu is dodgy because the Eduke32 devs are making an Android port but the options are the same so even though it's a PC version there's only about 5 options per screen space and there's no way to fix the font at this moment. The mouse doesn't go right to the edge of the screen in the ingame GUIs because it's not possible to detect if widescreen is being used in the game's CON code (There's no usable elements in those areas of the screen because of this)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

My biggest problem with the game is all the goddamn dodging. It's like, I have this powerful rocket launcher, but if I actually shoot my rockets directly at the enemy, it will be dodged at least half the time, making using it an utter crapshoot. I can compensate by loading an obscene number of rockets in at once, aiming toward the ground and hoping they dodge into another rocket in the fan, but it's a huge ammo waste. Doesn't help that the average enemy can usually suck up a shot or three. This applies to pretty much all the projectile weapons I've got, honestly; the Dispersion Pistol, the ASMD alt-fire, the Eightball Gun/RL, the Flak Cannon (but that works like a shotgun up-close, when they lack time to dodge, so that's moot), the Razorjack, the Bio Rifle (although I tend to use that one in close-range)...

Hitscan's a bit better, at least, although up until Sunspire my only real options for that were limited to the Enforcer (which is the game's peashooter to my understanding) and the ASMD (which was decent, if a little underpowered unless you used the battery, but ammo pickups were a tad more uncommon than I'd care for). There's also the Stinger, which is technically projectile but has projectiles fast enough that they're not often dodged (although it, too, is a little underpowered for my taste - primary, anyway, haven't tried secondary). Only just got the Minigun from the Sunspire, and haven't yet got the Sniper Rifle, but that's how I feel about the weapons thus far.

Actually, there are some projectiles enemies will never attempt to dodge: Eightball grenades, Razorjack blades, Goop Gun blobs, and Flak Cannon shells. You can do a lot of damage with these weapons if you use them right. For example, Razorjack headshots can kill most Skaarj in two or three hits depending on if they're Troopers or Warriors, combining the Goop Gun's alt and primary fire for a combo that can quickly take down a Skaarj, and an Eightball grenade volley will gently caress up any non-boss. The Razorjack, Goop Gun, and Eightball are my most-used weapons because of how powerful they can be.

However, that doesn't mean other projectile weapons are useless. The Stinger is a good trash buster against things like the Slith so you can conserve ammo for the bigger threats, you can rack up some good damage with ASMD combos, Eightball primary fire is good for Titans and Brutes, and the Flak Cannon primary fire is the ultimate close quarters weapon.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
On AMCTC 2 how do I finish the EDF mission "Ice Station Colossus"? I blow open the cave to the UFO thing and kill the Cycloid Emperor, but then there's the standard Duke Nukem end-level symbol on the ground but I can't do anything with it. I've tried the level twice with different characters but it ended the same. Also I notice that I seem to have a flashlight in my inventory but there doesn't seem to be any keybind to use it.

Edit: Oh, the flashlight comes on automatically at certain sections.

Mman fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 26, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Since people have mentioned HL2 in this thread in the past... The latest version of Filip Victor's update mod is coming to Steam tomorrow. It fixes lots of bugs in the original game, overhauls the lighting in each map, adds additional minor effects like light rays and nicer fog/haze, and optional "community commentary" voiced by Youtube people. It looks to make HL2 that bit nicer looking without sacrificing the Valve art style (hello cinematic mod!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI9aSFHJRO0

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

HL 2 needed better weapon sounds too. All the weapons cept the magnum lack "oomph".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

HL2 sounds are generally awful. Even explosions sound like a cat sneezing in a rusty bucket, at best.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

closeted republican posted:

Actually, there are some projectiles enemies will never attempt to dodge: Eightball grenades, Razorjack blades, Goop Gun blobs, and Flak Cannon shells. You can do a lot of damage with these weapons if you use them right. For example, Razorjack headshots can kill most Skaarj in two or three hits depending on if they're Troopers or Warriors, combining the Goop Gun's alt and primary fire for a combo that can quickly take down a Skaarj, and an Eightball grenade volley will gently caress up any non-boss. The Razorjack, Goop Gun, and Eightball are my most-used weapons because of how powerful they can be.

However, that doesn't mean other projectile weapons are useless. The Stinger is a good trash buster against things like the Slith so you can conserve ammo for the bigger threats, you can rack up some good damage with ASMD combos, Eightball primary fire is good for Titans and Brutes, and the Flak Cannon primary fire is the ultimate close quarters weapon.
I swear Skaarj have dodged my Razorjacks, though. Eh, guess I'll have to try again.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Mman posted:

On AMCTC 2 how do I finish the EDF mission "Ice Station Colossus"? I blow open the cave to the UFO thing and kill the Cycloid Emperor, but then there's the standard Duke Nukem end-level symbol on the ground but I can't do anything with it. I've tried the level twice with different characters but it ended the same. Also I notice that I seem to have a flashlight in my inventory but there doesn't seem to be any keybind to use it.

Edit: Oh, the flashlight comes on automatically at certain sections.
Stepping on that should end the level, I'm not sure why it's not doing that as it's set up properly. I'll have to take a look and see what's causing that, but sorry for the inconvenience.

incidentally I hope some guys actually check out the proper episode 2 since everybody seems to be playing the classic collection instead of the new stuff :v:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Hey, I'm doing just that right now! Been reporting tons of bugs and whatnot over on the official Duke4 thread.

Also, not to brag or anything, but... yeah, I beat the Serpent God with nothing but the sword. :smug:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

Also, not to brag or anything, but... yeah, I beat the Serpent God with nothing but the sword.
haha, neat - did you do it the hard way (up close and personnel) or did you figure out that you can reflect his skulls back at him? It's still not perfect and it was a bit of a bastard to get working but it should still be a viable way to beat him.

Either way there's an even better sword fight later in the TC, you can also cheese that one with guns but it's much better to fight using the 'sword' provided. Just wait till you research the skill that lets you deflect bullets with the sword :allears: I did try and add in some stuff so using only the sword is a viable tactic, I haven't had much free time to test it myself but it should be a viable way to do things.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SelenicMartian posted:

HL2 sounds are generally awful. Even explosions sound like a cat sneezing in a rusty bucket, at best.

One of the L4D2 autoshotguns has the best sound.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Jblade posted:

haha, neat - did you do it the hard way (up close and personnel) or did you figure out that you can reflect his skulls back at him? It's still not perfect and it was a bit of a bastard to get working but it should still be a viable way to beat him.

Either way there's an even better sword fight later in the TC, you can also cheese that one with guns but it's much better to fight using the 'sword' provided. Just wait till you research the skill that lets you deflect bullets with the sword :allears: I did try and add in some stuff so using only the sword is a viable tactic, I haven't had much free time to test it myself but it should be a viable way to do things.
Definitely the hard way. It's cool that you're trying to make it viable to play as sword only, though, as I definitely find using a sword to be a lot of fun. If only you could Demonsteele it and make it viable to hold a sword in one hand and a gun in the other. :allears:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

That would be possible, albeit some work - but I don't see why I can't do something like that. I'd probably make it so you can equip a quick-draw sheathe or some poo poo and pressing the melee button slashes the Katana...it'd be balanced by requiring you to have a katana or similar weapon in the temp weapon slot but that'd be pretty nifty. For Sang the warlock I did want to make an Undying-style system where you had his gun in one hand and would cast spells with the other, but at the time of the mod's conception I didn't really have the coding know-how to do that.

(if you like the katana, you can get an even better researched weapon by beating the later boss using just the sword) that's jumping ahead a bit though heh heh.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
dark messia had great combat

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Galdarion posted:

dark messia had great combat

I miss the multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wich was awesome too. Dark Messiah is one of these games that didn't get the reception it deserved but is fun to visit every once in a while. Multiplayer, if you can get a bunch of guys on (there was a goon group running parties some time ago) is a blast.