Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

notthegoatseguy posted:

It was a bullshit explanation too because Colossaus' powers were working just fine and he was part of the Five as were Namor.

Is there a reason Emma's powers aren't working now? Shouldn't the nanomachines be out by now?

Colossus had to have a power regulating harness after AvX otherwise his powers were just as unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was 2 power breaking things.

Emma (no telepathy), Cyclops (couldn't control his blasts, they got all swirly) Colossus and for some reason Magneto (just weakened) had theirs broken after AvX. Namor was fine I think? Magik actually got more powerful, but the explanation there was her new power was destroying Limbo so it was still pretty much a bad thing. Then she destroyed Limbo anyway so whatever.

Then at some point Cyclops stopped being able to even fire blasts at times and Magik's teleportation broke. Those were from Dark Beast nanomachines. However getting that fixed seems to have fixed Cyclops' other problem too.

Cyclops also at some points fired off unintentionally which doesn't make any sense at all since his blasts are controlled mechanically by his costume.

....Have they announced who's taking over for Bendis yet?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 14, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Was it going to be Wilson or is she just helming that Avengers series?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Emma (no telepathy), Cyclops (couldn't control his blasts, they got all swirly) Colossus and for some reason Magneto (just weakened) had theirs broken after AvX. Namor was fine I think? Magik actually got more powerful, but the explanation there was her new power was destroying Limbo so it was still pretty much a bad thing. Then she destroyed Limbo anyway so whatever.

Then at some point Cyclops stopped being able to even fire blasts at times and Magik's teleportation broke. Those were from Dark Beast nanomachines. However getting that fixed seems to have fixed Cyclops' other problem too.

Cyclops also at some points fired off unintentionally which doesn't make any sense at all since his blasts are controlled mechanically by his costume.

Clearly, his psionic somethingorother that opens portals to the punch dimension and resonates on a frequency with ruby quartz changed frequency, duh. You clearly don't understand the sophisticated and logical science behind Cyclops's punch lasers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

Well, Chris Sims is co-writing X-Men '92...

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Aphrodite posted:

They haven't really announced any post Secret Wars book and X-Men looks as if it'll be getting a franchise wide reshuffle.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

They haven't really announced any post Secret Wars book and X-Men looks as if it'll be getting a franchise wide reshuffle.

I'm just hoping Spidey & the X-Men survives the shuffle, because like folks were sayin', it really is great. :ohdear:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm just hoping Spidey & the X-Men survives the shuffle, because like folks were sayin', it really is great. :ohdear:

If anything I'd hope Kalan gets to write more books. I'd love to see him do like a new Young Avengers book or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I think they already said it'll be a rotating guest star. Spidey is only around for the first 5 or so issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think they already said it'll be a rotating guest star. Spidey is only around for the first 5 or so issues.

Will it be the same creative team?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I would totally read a comic about Scott and Alex running a Pizza place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

2 mutants, a girl and a pizza place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

2 mutants, a girl and a pizza place.

Hope can come out of her coma to be the girl.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Hope can come out of her coma to be the girl.

Isn't she out of that?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Isn't she out of that?

Yeah, she runs X-Force now, and she's fired her dad from it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I ended up liking Nightcrawler more than I thought I would. Todd Nauck doesn't get enough work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wanderer posted:

I ended up liking Nightcrawler more than I thought I would. Todd Nauck doesn't get enough work.

I never read it because I don't give two shits about Nightcrawler, but I do enjoy Todd Nauck's art. Not enough to read a book I have no interest otherwise in though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Before your kids cry Havok, take them to a place where they'll have an optic BLAST!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Before your kids cry Havok, take them to a place where they'll have an optic BLAST!

Famous Original Summers Brothers Pizza located directly across from Avengers Tower.

Is Black Vortex considered an Xmen story? Because its loving awesome in a great space opera with a mcguffin way.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm so loving conflicted over this issue, because like - one, what the gently caress, Scott Summers? What the gently caress? I'm siding with the kids on the "you lied bro, what the gently caress" side. It doesn't feel ... genuine or true-to-character to me, but whatever. But I really enjoyed the students' reactions, and I was totally on board with Magik peacing out. And I liked the Summers brothers hanging out at the end, too. But I'm just ... frustrated with this poo poo. I don't know. It feels like such a weird way to write Scott all of a sudden.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Also I guess they're ignoring Havok being inverted? He didn't seem to be different.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Dacap posted:

Also I guess they're ignoring Havok being inverted? He didn't seem to be different.

I think Bendis saw that Havok was still inverted and decided that all that meant was that Havok now thinks Cyclops was right. :allears: (God knows Bendis hated how Remender wrote the guy, so ...)

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 26, 2015

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
We know from Avengers that the endpoint of this is some kind of mutant nation. I'd say it's dickish enough to come from an inverted Havok.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Amazing X-Men is getting a lot better.

"How do you stop a juggernaut"

"Call Spider-Man"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I think Bendis saw that Havok was still inverted and decided that all that meant was that Havok now thinks Cyclops was right. :allears: (God knows Bendis hated how Remender wrote the guy, so ...)

I wonder if it was the other way around and Remender decided to invert Havok before sending him off to Scott's as a a passive-aggressive way of saying 'NOT MUH HAVOK'.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I don't think Marvel operates on internal spite, so maybe they just amicably decided that this was the best solution to preserve Remender's work while giving Bendis the Havok he needed for his purposes.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I kept expecting things to go bad (because Inverted Havok was a terrible bastard who kidnapped his wife), and nothing happened. Is there supposed to be dramatic tension, where we know Havok is evil and Cyclops doesn't yet? Or is Bendis's characterization once again not in step with the character's previous characterization, and this is just how Inverted Havok is going to be in this story? Hooray for quality writing!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
No he's still evil, it's part of Bendis's "Cyclops is a gently caress up that has lost his way and is wrong about pretty much everything" narrative which people are just seem to willfully ignore exists. He's rooming with his evil brother who now supports him completely, subtle this theme has not been.

Bendis is firmly in the "Cyclops is an idiot camp."

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Was Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier modified to deal with the big shakeup coming up? It seems like it had potential but felt awkward almost from the beginning.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm honestly expecting this brotherly bonding to lead to a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants revamp with Scott at the head.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

SirDan3k posted:

No he's still evil, it's part of Bendis's "Cyclops is a gently caress up that has lost his way and is wrong about pretty much everything" narrative which people are just seem to willfully ignore exists. He's rooming with his evil brother who now supports him completely, subtle this theme has not been.

Bendis is firmly in the "Cyclops is an idiot camp."

Well he's also written SHIELD as interfering assholes and the Jean Grey school teachers as hypocrites and bad friends/family, so I don't know that the text truly supports Cyclops as being in the wrong here.

Cyclops having a nervous breakdown, definitely. Cyclops having lost his way, sure. But wrong in comparison to the other factions of the story, so wrong that Evil Havok agreeing with him is an indication that Cyclops is the villain of this story? I don't agree with that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

I'm honestly expecting this brotherly bonding to lead to a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants revamp with Scott at the head.

We already knows that it leads to Nation X.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing is that the inversion doesn't simply just make good guys bad and bad guys good as was better explained in the many tie-in books than it ever was in the actual event book. It takes a core part of that person's personality and switched it the opposite way. What it seemed to do with Alex was make him forsake the whole unity idea between mutants and humans which makes him more in line with Scott's way of thinking. He still clearly cared about Janet as he begged to let her survive and tried to secretly save her when they were going to set off the big bomb in Axis. Him using Janet to escape at the end of Axis was actually completely out of character with how he acted at the beginning of the very same issue and was probably just a ruse to get away. And she's not with him when he shows up at Scott's in the prologue anyway.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Deadpool posted:

The thing is that the inversion doesn't simply just make good guys bad and bad guys good as was better explained in the many tie-in books than it ever was in the actual event book. It takes a core part of that person's personality and switched it the opposite way. What it seemed to do with Alex was make him forsake the whole unity idea between mutants and humans which makes him more in line with Scott's way of thinking. He still clearly cared about Janet as he begged to let her survive and tried to secretly save her when they were going to set off the big bomb in Axis. Him using Janet to escape at the end of Axis was actually completely out of character with how he acted at the beginning of the very same issue and was probably just a ruse to get away. And she's not with him when he shows up at Scott's in the prologue anyway.

He acted cowardly and evil in equal measure in the AXIS event.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What I'm saying is I think it's Bendis choosing the most easily acceptable path of the ones available post an event that didn't even really have much consistency within itself. But we also have to remember the issue shows one conversation between them intercut with flashbacks, so we really have no idea which way it's going. I'm hoping for them just being buddies now but it could easily go a completely different way.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

I'd almost forgotten about that... is Bendis even capable of getting the story to that point by the time the rest of the world catches up to Avengers? If I recall correctly, Nation X was treated as a known sort of thing when it was first mentioned, not as something brand new. And the man's not known for pushing a story along quickly.

I wouldn't give the slightest poo poo if Havok's being "inverted" was ever mentioned again. I'd be pleased as punch if the next issue had him getting some sort of Wolverine-DNA-derived plastic surgery fixing his hosed up face so we could completely pretend Sixis never happened.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Diet Poison posted:

. I'd be pleased as punch if the next issue had him getting some sort of Wolverine-DNA-derived plastic surgery fixing his hosed up face so we could completely pretend Sixis never happened.

That happened in the storyline before Sixis happened and it gave us Superior Iron-man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

I'd almost forgotten about that... is Bendis even capable of getting the story to that point by the time the rest of the world catches up to Avengers? If I recall correctly, Nation X was treated as a known sort of thing when it was first mentioned, not as something brand new. And the man's not known for pushing a story along quickly.

I wouldn't give the slightest poo poo if Havok's being "inverted" was ever mentioned again. I'd be pleased as punch if the next issue had him getting some sort of Wolverine-DNA-derived plastic surgery fixing his hosed up face so we could completely pretend Sixis never happened.

Well the thing is that the latest issue is still only like an hour after they opened Xavier's will.

So time wise Uncanny is months behind the rest of Marvel, never mind Avengers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Well yeah, but we don't really know what Nation X consists of besides Scott, the Weapon X facility, and a Phoenix egg. I mean, it had a cool name, but it's easy to rebrand. The camera could pan out and show that nothing's really changed in the time since as Havok hangs out and cooks pizzas and keeps trying to convince Scott that maybe Summers Brothers Pizza wasn't such a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Well yeah, but we don't really know what Nation X consists of besides Scott, the Weapon X facility, and a Phoenix egg. I mean, it had a cool name, but it's easy to rebrand. The camera could pan out and show that nothing's really changed in the time since as Havok hangs out and cooks pizzas and keeps trying to convince Scott that maybe Summers Brothers Pizza wasn't such a bad idea.

Beast was there too

• Locked thread