Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Well, Original War had terrible multiplayer balance if that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

Ugg-Tect is amazing, you take that bad. I dislike it because I have difficulty in discerning the cards and I feel silly playing it :colbert:

I meant "stupid" as in having a silliness factor that people don't like. I put bashing people with inflatable clubs and making bunny ears on your head on equal footing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just bought Mythotopia. It'll be here Friday. What do I need to know? I plan on playing it two player.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

taser rates posted:

BBMM is perfectly good, though it's more brain-burny than you'd expect from what looks like a party game. Also Pictomania is awesome, especially once you start getting to the higher difficulty cards, and they want you to start differentiating between a prosecutor, defense attorney, jury, etc

I've found drawing outside the box helps in these situations. Don't draw the person, draw the way the word sounds. So defense attorney would be a shield + a picture of a guy at the judge's stand w/ an arrow pointing to him.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Lorini posted:

Just bought Mythotopia. It'll be here Friday. What do I need to know? I plan on playing it two player.

Deckbuilding really shapes your game, so be mindful of what resource you'll gain from attacking a province and don't neglect building cities, so you can reserve more cards.

The end game relies on you pulling clear, so try to build up a to a decisive turn where you can open an offensive on multiple fronts - the end the game action resolves all conflicts immediately.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If there were an 18xx game would it be PBEM with rails or would it be PBP? I'm interested but I'm not sure I want to learn rails or whatever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

would be on rails, rails is easy to use though

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

Let me know how you like it, it seems like the reactions I've seen here have been kind of lukewarm?

However, there seems to be this cult following Martin Wallace at BGG but I never hear about many people that play his games these days and like them. I've never played one because every time I've taken a look (AfaoS, Emerald, Mythtopia) there doesn't seem to be a good reception here. Maybe I should try Brass?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Brass and Age of Steam (with newer versions Age of Industry and Steam) are his real classics. Brass in particular is a phenomenal game that's both highly thematic and extremely tense and competitive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I really like Brass and Automobile (the latter seems to be a more controversial opinion).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Struggle of Empires was pretty boss too.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

would be on rails, rails is easy to use though

Alright I guess count me in then.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tekopo posted:

I really like Brass and Automobile (the latter seems to be a more controversial opinion).

I enjoyed Automobile the one time I played it, but that sort of game was really not my thing at the time.

Brass is amazing, and if it were still in print I'd own a copy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lichtenstein posted:

Struggle of Empires was pretty boss too.

Yeah that's a good one.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

cenotaph posted:

Alright I guess count me in then.

I would be interested in a PBEM 18xx (1830?) as well, but I've only ever had fans talk to me about it - total newbie.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

What are some good solo compatible games that use mostly cards?

There is the lotr ccg and I have death angel.

I really like the cards combat aspect of mage knight and was wondering if there is a similar cards only game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Selecta84 posted:

What are some good solo compatible games that use mostly cards?

There is the lotr ccg and I have death angel.

I really like the cards combat aspect of mage knight and was wondering if there is a similar cards only game.
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game! :v:

(Please don't actually play the PFACG, it's bloated and fiddly as hell, and even I can't defend it any more.)

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Speaking of... Anyone have any strong opinions on London? Looks like a neat tableau builder.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Durendal posted:

Speaking of... Anyone have any strong opinions on London? Looks like a neat tableau builder.

It is indeed, a neat little tableau builder. I've had fun with it on several occasions, although not especially recently. It has a couple of points of iffy balance IIRC but mostly it's decent.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Played Homesteaders tonight not a bad game. Managed to win by a comfortable margin but until the last turn I never felt like I was walking away with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Let me know how you like it, it seems like the reactions I've seen here have been kind of lukewarm?

However, there seems to be this cult following Martin Wallace at BGG but I never hear about many people that play his games these days and like them. I've never played one because every time I've taken a look (AfaoS, Emerald, Mythtopia) there doesn't seem to be a good reception here. Maybe I should try Brass?

For my money, Wallace's best game is Discworld: Ankh-Morpork because it's thematic, fun and plays in 60 minutes.

I also have a fondness for Lords of Creation, because I used to own copy 3 of 20 of the limited edition that was the first game he ever released. I sold it in a Jack Vasel Memorial Auction a few years ago for well over $200, then saw copies for 8 euro at Essen last year and committed the cardinal Essen sin of forgetting to buy one immediately. I then lost the loving stand.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally played Tigris & Euphrates and wow, what a tightly-designed game. It's like playing watching civilization unfold at 10,000 feet and 10,000x speed.

The iPad version is decently done and it's fun to play against AIs.

If you like high-level strategy with the flexibility of being able to do just about anything (even trigger wars between two groups who are not your own) and not tons of fiddly rules, give it a look. I actually don't really like strategy games much (because I am not good at them) but I really appreciate the game, and that's what idiot-level AI opponents are for!

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mister Sinewave posted:

I finally played Tigris & Euphrates and wow, what a tightly-designed game. It's like playing watching civilization unfold at 10,000 feet and 10,000x speed.

The iPad version is decently done and it's fun to play against AIs.

If you like high-level strategy with the flexibility of being able to do just about anything (even trigger wars between two groups who are not your own) and not tons of fiddly rules, give it a look. I actually don't really like strategy games much (because I am not good at them) but I really appreciate the game, and that's what idiot-level AI opponents are for!

Knizia had the touch back in the day. Like he actually made great games.

I dunno what happened I think he slipped on some ice and knocked his head one winter and we get this for the rest of his career

edit for more ~Reiner~

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 26, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

JohnnySavs posted:

I would be interested in a PBEM 18xx (1830?) as well, but I've only ever had fans talk to me about it - total newbie.

Tekopo has way more experience than me. I've only played 1830 five times so I'm probably pretty mediocre. It's fun and not as hard as people make it out to be. The only noob trap is to make sure that the Camden and Amboy doesn't go for face value in the initial auction. It's grossly under-priced.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Modern Art is a seriously great satirical game.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

PlaneGuy posted:

Knizia had the touch back in the day. Like he actually made great games.

I dunno what happened I think he slipped on some ice and knocked his head one winter and we get this for the rest of his career

Amun-re is another under appreciated Knizia game that more people should give a shot. Unless the reason I don't hear it talked about it that it has some glaring flaw I've never worked out.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

burger time posted:

Anyone have trip reports on Pictomania? my FLGS just got it and I'm thinking about picking it up.

Broken Loose posted:

Dude, it's SUPER AWESOME. Part of the thrill is that you only get 1 guess per picture, and that wouldn't work if guesses weren't submitted secretly as they are. There's no timer, either; everything's relative and it works really elegantly.

Pictomania is really tight design-wise. You need to draw quickly, you need to draw accurately, you need to guess accurately, you need to guess before everybody else does, and you need to finish everything first. However, none of this is required by the rules, it's simply incentivized by the scoring system. You only score correct guesses, and you score more if they were before your opponents' correct guesses. You score points for people guessing your art correctly. You get bonus points for finishing everything first. Finally, the round ends not when the final person is done but when the penultimate person is done, so there's still the pressure of being unable to finish but without requiring a physical timer. Game rounds don't have people shouting nouns over and over in a mess of psychosis, but there is a torrent of expletives that erupt from people drawing poorly, being forced to depict abstract concepts without depicting their near-synonyms, having their guesses intercepted by terrible interpretations of artwork, and so on. And on top of all this? The game's fast and easy to teach. Since all the heavy lifting is done by the scoring system, new players can more quickly dive into the meat grinder.

Pictomania is everything I wanted and more.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

I enjoyed Automobile the one time I played it, but that sort of game was really not my thing at the time.

Brass is amazing, and if it were still in print I'd own a copy.

Seems like it's available at a lot of places?

E:Five Tribes 2nd Ed is replacing the slaves with Fakirs. Fakir upgrade pack for 1st edition going to be available on BGG store. Probably a good idea although I'm not sure I understand how buying a Fakir isn't some sort of human trafficking too?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 26, 2015

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

fozzy fosbourne posted:

E:Five Tribes 2nd Ed is replacing the slaves with Fakirs. Fakir upgrade pack for 1st edition going to be available on BGG store. Probably a good idea although I'm not sure I understand how buying a Fakir isn't some sort of human trafficking too?

Presumably you are hiring them, not buying them.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

Amun-re is another under appreciated Knizia game that more people should give a shot. Unless the reason I don't hear it talked about it that it has some glaring flaw I've never worked out.

I love Amun-Re, its such a fun bidding game. The fixed prices for bidding and how your value of the board locations changes after the flood is really fun. The interactive cards the screw with the bidding are also interesting, using a card to force a person to bid two spots up if they want to outbid you is such a great screw you move, and the offering mechanic has some many layers to it.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 26, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Then I am a fool, and I must budget appropriately!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Amun Re has been somewhat of a hit with our play group. Doesn't get played that often, but we picked it up on a whim in a sale a few years pack and it's been worth it ever since. Punches above it's weight.

The halfway mechanic is ace. 'In this part of the game all your farmers die and you lose all your territory. Your pyramids stick around, though someone else may buy those areas.'.

Also love the 'I am a jerk and am stealing from the temple gently caress you God' mechanic :)

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

Yes, but the only reward I know he'll enjoy is not something I'm willing to give him.

Who in this thread IS willing to sit down to an all day game of Talisman with him?

I don't think Talisman is a particularly good game, but I have to play a game. Its the seed that grew into the hobby this day. Playing Talisman on camping trips, making people play it with me online, buying everyone the steam version to force them into games but only I get the dlc characters just to be an rear end.

You have my giant spiked ball on chain Rutibex.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Anyone have an opinion on suburbia vs castles of the mad king Ludwig? I can't decide which to get and they seem pretty similar.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Raymn posted:

Anyone have an opinion on suburbia vs castles of the mad king Ludwig? I can't decide which to get and they seem pretty similar.

Ludwig has a fantastic pricing mechanic that, when faced with a person with AP, can drag the game down a bit. Other than that, I think it's better, both because of that mechanic and because the crazy castles you get to build are pretty funny.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Suburbia is on Android, and it's pretty good. Get Castles IRL and Suburbia on your tablet.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BonHair posted:

Suburbia is on Android, and it's pretty good. Get Castles IRL and Suburbia on your tablet.

This too; Suburbia is just 4 bucks on android, free if you get lots of google rewards surveys. ;)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Suburbia is tablets-only, I'm pretty sure.

I slightly prefer Suburbia myself, but both are very solid and similar games and you can't go wrong with either. It comes down to Suburbia's theme vs. Castles's Master Builder and being a bit more streamlined.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Scoring in Castles is easier as well because you're just scoring on adjacency 99% of the time, whereas with Suburbia you have to remember all your tiles that have universal effects whenever you do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Ojetor posted:

Presumably you are hiring them, not buying them.

wage slavery is politically correct slavery