Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

overdesigned posted:

Although to my credit I did fly a 3x bomber list a few times, eventually.

How did it go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
This was way back, like pre-wave-5, so not TERRIBLY but not that well, either. I think it was Captain Jonus and then two Scimitars with ordnance.

e: maybe Jonus and 3x Scimitars? I don't remember. It was definitely all-bombers. Maybe I have four bombers. I have too many ships.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 25, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I have two T/Bs because i love how they look. Rhymer with PtL and APT is pretty funny I must admit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am looking forward to regionals since I'll be the only one flying Fat Han once again. Been flying it for a year now. I won't be looking forward to people asking if it's paul's list, blah blah or asking why there's no R2 when it's painfully obvious why. It's funny that R2 is considered the must-have fat han nowadays when I recall gunner and predator was the good choice and everyone assumed I must've copied my list from someone online. I've been testing with both Corran and the classic 3Z. The problem with Corran remains the loss in the jousting strength that Zs gave. Now, the meta has much more arc dodging but both the decimator and double aggressor will give the list a hard time if I don't use the Zs. As always, I"m fine with them killing the Zs early since every shot used isn't hitting Han and the opponent needs to take down all 3 anyway. That means Soontir or Vader gets killed first and the other interceptors aren't as difficult to kill.

Might test with Biggs or Tarn and Z again, as I remember Paul doing that for a bit last year too around the same time I was testing them lol. However, I don't think they'll give the necessary buff needed to deal with arc dodgers and it's one less ship to use for bumping or boxing decimators and aggressors.

AndyElusive posted:

I think I'm buying a second Phantom today.

I haven't even flown a Phantom once. :ohdear:

They're nice to paint. You should paint one.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

I am looking forward to regionals since I'll be the only one flying Fat Han once again. Been flying it for a year now. I won't be looking forward to people asking if it's paul's list, blah blah or asking why there's no R2 when it's painfully obvious why. It's funny that R2 is considered the must-have fat han nowadays when I recall gunner and predator was the good choice and everyone assumed I must've copied my list from someone online. I've been testing with both Corran and the classic 3Z. The problem with Corran remains the loss in the jousting strength that Zs gave. Now, the meta has much more arc dodging but both the decimator and double aggressor will give the list a hard time if I don't use the Zs. As always, I"m fine with them killing the Zs early since every shot used isn't hitting Han and the opponent needs to take down all 3 anyway. That means Soontir or Vader gets killed first and the other interceptors aren't as difficult to kill.

Might test with Biggs or Tarn and Z again, as I remember Paul doing that for a bit last year too around the same time I was testing them lol. However, I don't think they'll give the necessary buff needed to deal with arc dodgers and it's one less ship to use for bumping or boxing decimators and aggressors.

They're nice to paint. You should paint one.

I did Fat Han + Corran at the 2014 Atlanta Regionals and went 3-3 (but I am bad). It was a fun as heck list though. I'm interested to see how it'd go if I flew it today when the meta's different and I'm slightly less bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

overdesigned posted:

I did Fat Han + Corran at the 2014 Atlanta Regionals and went 3-3 (but I am bad). It was a fun as heck list though. I'm interested to see how it'd go if I flew it today when the meta's different and I'm slightly less bad.

Did he have VI? I think that's the only possible way to fly him now. I did enjoy the version with marksmanship and double tap. However, if you look at enough of the store champs' lists, and I think they're a good indicator for what will show up in regionals, you'll find that you really do still need the jousting protection. I think the classic mini-swarm with whisper even won a recent event. Given the option, right now I will hedge my bets at making the list stronger against jousting and dumb shuttles or decimators vs. trying to make it better against arc dodgers since fat Han already does that well enough. Just not as well as it used to.

I'm considering trading and selling off some magic cards for worlds this year but as a student it really miffs me to pay prob $400 for a dumb tournament lol.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I personally love Phantom-Hunter Corran (R2-F2, VI, FCS, maybe EU). I've seen that setup rip apart Phantoms. I guess if you have Fat Han he's not that necessary (and there isn't a a way to really fit both a kitted out Corran AND get the full fat han setup).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Corran was doing the Marksman double-tap thing. It worked okay-ish but yeah it was very weak in the joust, I had to be super careful, and PS trends have inched upward so VI is definitely something to consider. Still super satisfying to manage get a Phantom or somebody else high-PS in arc and unload the double-tap though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Neil just put up an article http://teamcovenant.com/lunchbox/2015/03/26/nova-squadron-store-championship-season-recap/ on TC. It's exactly what I was hoping to contain and people will be looking forward to 4BZ or will be playing them en masse. The store champs where I won isn't even up on the list juggler, thankfully.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's a guy around here who won at least two store championships with an 86 point list. Whisper and Fel, no support ships.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Strobe posted:

There's a guy around here who won at least two store championships with an 86 point list. Whisper and Fel, no support ships.

With 86 points, why wouldn't you just add an Acadamy Pilot? You've got the free points, and I see literally zero drawbacks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With an Academy, you lose the ability to win on points if you've lost one ship and killed the fat half of a Fat Han/Deci list.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I ordered the Plano case listed in the OP for holding my new growing addiction. Does anyone have a suggestion for some foam to order to keep the ships from rattling around in the partitions? I probably would just let them float around, but since the case has to be flipped to get at the other half, they are going to get banged around a bunch.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Orvin posted:

I ordered the Plano case listed in the OP for holding my new growing addiction. Does anyone have a suggestion for some foam to order to keep the ships from rattling around in the partitions? I probably would just let them float around, but since the case has to be flipped to get at the other half, they are going to get banged around a bunch.

Michaels or any craft store will have sheets of thin foam for like 99 cents. I just cut little squares out and lined the walls of the compartments with it when I still used that box.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I love this game but the whole "just buy whatever you think is cool" is bullshit - you have to buy every ship even if you don't play that faction in order to get good upgrade cards.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

CelestialScribe posted:

I love this game but the whole "just buy whatever you think is cool" is bullshit - you have to buy every ship even if you don't play that faction in order to get good upgrade cards.

Only if you're playing in Leagues that require you to have all the cards or Tournaments.

Otherwise you can just buy the ships you want and proxy the upgrades.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

It's not bullshit if you are playing casual and you can just proxy cards.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
"Just proxy cards" is kind of bullshit too. The ship models don't matter, the game is ultimately about pushing squares around, so why not get a few spare bases from someone like me with dozens more than they'll ever use and proxy everything?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Poopy Palpy posted:

"Just proxy cards" is kind of bullshit too. The ship models don't matter, the game is ultimately about pushing squares around, so why not get a few spare bases from someone like me with dozens more than they'll ever use and proxy everything?

Yeah I don't really get why anyone would even ask what to buy if they are just gonna proxy things. People ask what to buy so they know what comes with what.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...

Poopy Palpy posted:

You can't really proxy the dials either and they're kind of important. I guess you can get around it by jotting down your maneuver on a piece of paper and flipping that over. But you need to have another dial to look at unless you've memorized all the dial moves.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The difference is that 'buy whatever you think is cool' is usually given as an answer to someone starting out for the first time, not someone specifically hunting out cards to use in his list so that they can use them in a tournament. If someone starting out in the hobby and they think the Phantom is cool and they want to fly it, are you gonna say 'buy the Phantom and then buy a YT-1300 or Firespray as well because you need Veteran Insticts, even if you aren't planning to use a Firespray/YT-13000'?

The point is that no one (that I've played with at least) had a problem with cards being proxied in casual play, it happens all the time. The only time I've seen proxied models was when people were testing out future releases which they had all the information for (stats/dial/pilots etc).

The thing is, people buy into this hobby both for the game and to get cool models (I certainly did). Newbies will more than likely buy models that they want to fly/think are cool. What they are not gonna do is buy stuff that they don't want just to get cards. If someone already experienced comes in and asks what he needs to buy to fly list X, then fair enough, 'buy what is cool' is not relevant to him. But for newbies, I still think it's the best option.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think this is probably going to be my last Fantasy Flight collectible product. I'm tired of their print-a-silver-bullet approach to metagame problems, constantly overcorrecting back and forth. The Netrunner metagame went through some interesting developments and ended up (I think?) in an interesting place, but because they refuse to fix their early mistakes directly, a lot of optimal strategies from the core set remain viable. For X-Wing the problem feels a bit the opposite.

Of course, having said this I'll probably end up in Armada :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I did the "Whatever I felt was cool" and the "Only poo poo availble in stores" game. I bought what I wanted to build my list because I liked it. I have never had as much fun as I do now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, I need to make three lists (One per faction) for some casual games with a buddy this evening. Bragging rights are all that's on the table, but decided to have some fun, and be an arc dodging bastard:

Rebel posted:

Corran Horn (45)
E-Wing (35), R7-T1 (3), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Engine Upgrade (4)
Jake Farrell (30)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)
Green Squadron Pilot (25)
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)

Imperial posted:

Darth Vader (35)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Veteran Instincts (1), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)
Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Stealth Device (3)
Turr Phennir (30)
TIE Interceptor (25), Royal Guard TIE (0), Stealth Device (3), Autothrusters (2)

Now, request: Someone suggest to me a fun S&V (Either follow the same theme, or go wildly off it, I don't mind) We have this inventory to choose from:

3 Y-Wings
8 Z-95s
1 HWK
2 Starviper
2 Firespray
2 Aggressor
1 M3-A

Go wild!

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 26, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I think this is probably going to be my last Fantasy Flight collectible product. I'm tired of their print-a-silver-bullet approach to metagame problems, constantly overcorrecting back and forth. The Netrunner metagame went through some interesting developments and ended up (I think?) in an interesting place, but because they refuse to fix their early mistakes directly, a lot of optimal strategies from the core set remain viable. For X-Wing the problem feels a bit the opposite.

This is never going to be fixed without them going back and recosting stuff based on new meta and allowing people to buy card-only bundles. And that's never gonna happen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why would they need to print card bundles to issue errata? Just consult the errata document for points costs instead of what's printed on the card; it's not hard. If you want to be extra lazy, toss a bone to the people making the online squadron builders so they make you an official one, keep that one up to date, and insist army lists for tournaments be made using it. There's already a set of tournament rules and a FAQ you need to look at so "but then you'd need to look at stuff other than the cards" isn't a valid excuse.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Tekopo posted:

This is never going to be fixed without them going back and recosting stuff based on new meta and allowing people to buy card-only bundles. And that's never gonna happen.

Yeah, that's pretty much my feeling on the topic.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
And honestly, just making things cheaper is a poor way to balance. X-Wings need help, but making a rookie even a single point cheaper is actually a massive buff since you could then field 5 of them.

The B-Wing should probably be a couple points more, the E-Wing and Defender should probably be a couple less. Everything else is costed about right, I think. Titles are a lot more interesting, even if it does end up being awkward to collect because of stuff ending up in the Raider for example.

Still, I think I prefer the titles as fixes instead of just making everything cheaper across the board.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd prefer titles to cost points and have interesting effects and let you do things with a ship that you wouldn't normally be able to do, rather than being 0-point auto-includes designed to fix a design oversight.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why would they need to print card bundles to issue errata? Just consult the errata document for points costs instead of what's printed on the card; it's not hard. If you want to be extra lazy, toss a bone to the people making the online squadron builders so they make you an official one, keep that one up to date, and insist army lists for tournaments be made using it. There's already a set of tournament rules and a FAQ you need to look at so "but then you'd need to look at stuff other than the cards" isn't a valid excuse.

The issue isn't "you need to look at something other than cards" it's "the cards don't do what they say they do" which turns out to be a huge cost that is best avoided.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A big problem with X-Wing's errata so far is that they have just made up rules. Ten Numb vs evade tokens, for example. Or Boba Fett + Navigator. They create new rules outside the framework in the core rules to fix issues that come up.

Since they have print on demand I wish they would let us get packs of cards with the errata on them.

edit: VVV nope

alg fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 26, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So hey, random question. Do homing missiles work like autoblasters as well? Because a missile that can't be evaded at all would be pretty amazing, and maybe actually worth the points. Maybe.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

No, they specifically only work on tokens.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

This is actually what I'm doing right now since I only brought my tournament models and a couple more to paint to school and some spare bases and the mat for practicing. When I do practice games for tournaments my friends and I don't even bother getting out the models since sticking them on the bases and having to mark down locations for template placement is too fiddly and takes up time. But, I do play the game cuz of the models (see how well that one disc game did cuz they had no models) and play with them come tournament time.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

General Battuta posted:

I agree with the frustration over the metagame. I'm hoping we'll come out of S&V with more than one "optimum" strategy, but so far we've seen too many examples of one new trick sweeping the meta and rewriting it. I don't like errata'ing cards because the cards SHOULD do what they say and cost what they say. FAQ'ing where something is ambiguous or vague is what FAQs are for, but I think rewriting card costs on it is a bit too far.

Of course, having said this I'm ABSOLUTELY playing Armada in the big Plano game store on Friday.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Deci + arc dodger is boring as gently caress and S&V has only made it better. How I miss the days of wave 2 and 3 :/

The Phantom is really the thing that drives the meta now. Hopefully the next wave has things to shake it up. That's a long while away, though. Thank god for Imperial Assault and LCG.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I keep telling people the phantom is at fault and the fat Han is merely a symptom of the disease. They don't believe me and because I've been flying it for so long (and can manage the Zs decently enough), I manage to be able to kill swarms, 4BZ, interceptors, and now aggressors enough that they think fat Han is the problem.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean to be fair Han is good enough that he wouldn't have went anywhere even if phantoms weren't a thing.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

On the subject of finding a game. Is it okay to ask if any goons itt are local? I have a small group of players and we're looking to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

soulfulspinster posted:

On the subject of finding a game. Is it okay to ask if any goons itt are local? I have a small group of players and we're looking to expand.

I think you have forgotten something important :v:

• Locked thread