Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Roargasm posted:

Can't robocopy toner out of your lungs :suicide:

Seeing poo poo like this makes me so happy that we outsource printers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

P.s. Why did Apple kill innovation, again?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not sure if this is place, but I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone use any kind of console to ethernet device? I'm not talking about a KVM to ethernet for out-of-band, but tty/pty to ethernet for out-of-band. Like something that will hook into the RJ45 console port on a switch or router and then shove that back over ssh/telnet.

I swear I've worked with something like that before, but all I'm pulling up are ethernet KVMs. My Google-Fu is weak in this instance.

EDIT: Derp. Literally "tty to ethernet" pulls up what I'm looking for. Still, anyone have any recommendations?

alo
May 1, 2005

flosofl posted:

Does anyone use any kind of console to ethernet device? I'm not talking about a KVM to ethernet for out-of-band, but tty/pty to ethernet for out-of-band. Like something that will hook into the RJ45 console port on a switch or router and then shove that back over ssh/telnet.

I swear I've worked with something like that before, but all I'm pulling up are ethernet KVMs. My Google-Fu is weak in this instance.

EDIT: Derp. Literally "tty to ethernet" pulls up what I'm looking for. Still, anyone have any recommendations?

Serial console. Console server. Terminal server.

You can get them cheap on ebay if you're looking to save. Just avoid older Cyclades (a TS-2000 for example -- bad flash memory). Avocent bought Cyclades and still sells them new, iirc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I know there are a few other oldsters on here so I wanted to talk a little about age in I.T.

As an I.T. management type I frequently interact with the executives and users. As the years have passed I've become more sensitive to how people perceive me, particularly my age. I feel there's a perception that technology is something only younger people can be tuned in to. I think the association between new tech and hipness isn't at all a new thing but now that I'm middle-aged I'm aware it can cause career problems. Execs can have doubts about an older worker's ability to understand, embrace and implement new technology.

At my current place it's clear that the people I work with think I'm at least ten years younger than I really am. The office manager (who is maybe a year or two older than me) explained to me who Carol Burnett is. Today someone who is a fair bit younger than me mentioned Blink-182 and then said "You might not know them, they were popular way back when I was in High School."

Is it disingenuous to not correct work people when they get my age wrong? I feel like I'm getting away with something when I don't confess that I'm much older than they suspect. Is age less important than I think it is to appearing competitive in technology?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only time age comes up at my office is when someone mentions "I can't wait until retirement in ~5 years" or whatever. No one gives a poo poo otherwise.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dick Trauma posted:

I know there are a few other oldsters on here so I wanted to talk a little about age in I.T.

As an I.T. management type I frequently interact with the executives and users. As the years have passed I've become more sensitive to how people perceive me, particularly my age. I feel there's a perception that technology is something only younger people can be tuned in to. I think the association between new tech and hipness isn't at all a new thing but now that I'm middle-aged I'm aware it can cause career problems. Execs can have doubts about an older worker's ability to understand, embrace and implement new technology.

At my current place it's clear that the people I work with think I'm at least ten years younger than I really am. The office manager (who is maybe a year or two older than me) explained to me who Carol Burnett is. Today someone who is a fair bit younger than me mentioned Blink-182 and then said "You might not know them, they were popular way back when I was in High School."

Is it disingenuous to not correct work people when they get my age wrong? I feel like I'm getting away with something when I don't confess that I'm much older than they suspect. Is age less important than I think it is to appearing competitive in technology?

Eh, you can correct them in a joking manner if you feel like it's the right thing to do. It's a little harder to answer this since they think you're younger than you are, not older. I'd say just roll with it, if they find out how old you are you can just go "See, us old geezers can know about all this cool poo poo also :smug: " and you'll turn into that "old guy at work, but he's actually cool as gently caress" when they talk about you to their friends.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've noticed that you tend to get a bit younger (or much older) crowd in the consulting space versus the operations space, which is a bit more weighted toward people in their 30s and 40s. This is probably due to wanting more stable hours for family obligations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Anyone have experience with Trustwave? I'm interviewing for a SOC analyst position there and wondered if anyone here had any thoughts on them or that position in particular.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

Uh, aren't you only in your 40's? That's not old. I've met plenty of IT folks in their 50's & 60's (not that, that's all that old either), though they're usually directors or higher by then.

Also, I'm only 35 and am well aware of who Carol Burnett is. That's classic stuff that everyone should know. :)

Disingenuous? I don't think so. That first person thinking you're younger than you are, I'd take that as a compliment. The second person, well, people speak without thinking. That awful band was all over the radio, so you'd have to be the drat uni-bomber to have not heard them. Yes, I think age is less important than you think, even in tech.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uh, Blink 182 ruled, you better watch yourself

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dick Trauma posted:

Blink-182

I just love that one of their big songs is "What's My Age Again?". Also they owned in the late 90's and put on a hell of a show.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh god Blink-182 was popular when I was in grade school :sigh:

I'm still <25 yrs old too. A lot of 90s stuff is just for nostalgia regardless of actual good music taste for me at least.

I would say it depends on the employer/business. Yes, age discrimination is a (allegedly) thing and difficult enough to prove w/o express evidence (thx America). We can sit down and debate the finer ethics of various employment practices but there's a huge PERHAPS already.

Not to forget depends on your crowd/co-workers when I was at college I felt so old compared to everyone who were closer to my brother's age 18-21 and the one cool non-trad student in the back. Tech start-ups will typically have younger employees.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've had a 25 year old co worker who refused to own a smart phone, a 35 year old who constantly rages against social media, and a 45 year old who had at minimum summary level knowledge of every new technology and service ever.

I'm over 30 now, and while there are things that I don't immediately 'get' anymore, I at least don't assume that it's a terrible waste and totally inferior to 'older thing' and those drat kids get off my lawn.

Physical age matters little as long as you keep an open mind and try new things.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Fool posted:

I've had a 25 year old co worker who refused to own a smart phone, a 35 year old who constantly rages against social media, and a 45 year old who had at minimum summary level knowledge of every new technology and service ever.

The best people.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

flosofl posted:

We used to use a lot of Digi gear and we were reasonably happy with it. What's your scale, though? The Digis have some integrated management features which work great but require someone to configure them. In a really large environment I'd want to go with a terminal server just smart enough to handle an SSH connection and have all my access control, logging, alerting, etc done through something like ConsoleWorks. (I can't endorse CW unconditionally but when I used their stuff in 2010 it was good, steadily improving, and the vendor was listening to our feedback and getting better with every release.)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

go3 posted:

The best people.

I may or may not be that 25 year old but smartphones are costly as hell :colbert:

I just got a Samsung 4S Mini and I kinda hate it after a few months because people are always asking me: Did you get my text? If yes, why didn't you reply in <1min? It could have been a EMERGENCY.

ok but wouldn't it be better to call 911 instead then? thx

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

The Fool posted:

I've had a 25 year old co worker who refused to own a smart phone

I don't get why this is considering a mark against him. Isn't is a matter of personal preference on whether or not a smart phone is worth your time? Or whether or not you want to be contactable through e-mail, facebook, etc all time? You don't have to be a troglodyte to not want a smart phone. In the end when I was up for renewal on my contract I only got a smart phone because GPS is a lifesaver.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

captkirk posted:

I don't get why this is considering a mark against him. Isn't is a matter of personal preference on whether or not a smart phone is worth your time? Or whether or not you want to be contactable through e-mail, facebook, etc all time? You don't have to be a troglodyte to not want a smart phone. In the end when I was up for renewal on my contract I only got a smart phone because GPS is a lifesaver.

Because in most cases it now costs more to keep an old dumbphone and accompanying plan then to switch to a basic smartphone and a new plan. So actively refusing to use one is just being obstinate for the sake of it.

It'd be different if it was still like 5 years ago when having a smartphone actually did mean a pretty decent premium for your cell service.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because in most cases it now costs more to keep an old dumbphone and accompanying plan then to switch to a basic smartphone and a new plan. So actively refusing to use one is just being obstinate for the sake of it.

It'd be different if it was still like 5 years ago when having a smartphone actually did mean a pretty decent premium for your cell service.

It costs like $200 to get a basic dumb phone and like $20/month for a non-data prepaid plan. I would be shocked to find a smart phone plan that cheap. It is also completely valid to simply prefer not to have a smart phone. You can understand and appreciate technology and still prefer not to buy it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

captkirk posted:

It costs like $200 to get a basic dumb phone and like $20/month for a non-data prepaid plan. I would be shocked to find a smart phone plan that cheap. It is also completely valid to simply prefer not to have a smart phone. You can understand and appreciate technology and still prefer not to buy it.

You could get a basic smartphone for under $50 without carrier subsidy and prepaid plans can be as cheap as $15 a month.

Paying $200 for an actual dumbphone is essentially highway robbery.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zorak of Michigan posted:

We used to use a lot of Digi gear and we were reasonably happy with it. What's your scale, though? The Digis have some integrated management features which work great but require someone to configure them. In a really large environment I'd want to go with a terminal server just smart enough to handle an SSH connection and have all my access control, logging, alerting, etc done through something like ConsoleWorks. (I can't endorse CW unconditionally but when I used their stuff in 2010 it was good, steadily improving, and the vendor was listening to our feedback and getting better with every release.)

Tiny. It's an oversight in a small lab to do stress testing and "let's break poo poo in interesting ways" for a new location currently being built. Basically two full racks of infrastructure stuff a few Internet drops and 1 VM server with a integrated console card for network OOB. He overlooked OOB connectivity for the other equipment and since it's mostly infrastructure stuff, a KVM won't do it. As a bonus there's no additional budget, so I need to get them on the cheap and try to expense them. So far the cheapest I've found is a 16 port RS-232 to ethernet for about $1200. Someone above mentioned one from another company for about 2/3 that price.

Now, that I cleared the wax from head and started search with correct terms, I don't think I'll have an issue finding a solution. I just want any recommendations for anyone who has used these things.

I'll have to look a little harder or just bite the bullet and hope I don't have to fight to get reimbursed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

captkirk posted:

About 5 years ago, I was passed over for a job because I didn't have a smartphone. It obviously meant I'm "not passionate about technology." :rolleye:

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
This may have been asked in the past but what would be a good laptop/commuter backpack for someone commuting from the suburbs to the city via public transportation? My over the shoulder laptop bag is starting to kill my back.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

You could get a basic smartphone for under $50 without carrier subsidy and prepaid plans can be as cheap as $15 a month.

Paying $200 for an actual dumbphone is essentially highway robbery.

I will freely admit that $200 came from the last time I considered getting a dumbphone with Verizon and not from actually hunting for the best deal on a dumbphone. That being said, I'd be surprised if you could find a smartphone and dataplan worth having that is as cheap as you same. However, even granting the point about cost, choosing not to have a smart phone doesn't make a person a troglodyte who doesn't understand technology.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

captkirk posted:

I will freely admit that $200 came from the last time I considered getting a dumbphone with Verizon and not from actually hunting for the best deal on a dumbphone. That being said, I'd be surprised if you could find a smartphone and dataplan worth having that is as cheap as you same. However, even granting the point about cost, choosing not to have a smart phone doesn't make a person a troglodyte who doesn't understand technology.

If you don't wanna go to Swappa, you can get a Moto E for $100. Otherwise there are better deals available on phones from spergs who feel like they need the newest phone, so they sell their 6 month old one at a huge loss.

T-Mobile has a $30/mo 5GB/100 minute plan. Run your calls over Google Voice or VOIP.

It's really not hard. I don't think it makes you a troglodyte not to have one, and the people making $12/hr who have new iPhones on a $120/mo Verizon plan may not have the best priorities, but it's really easy to get a smartphone very cheap.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

if you don't actually use it, Ting is pretty cheap as a T-Mo or Sprint MVNO, and you can get a new Nokia GSM candybar for $25 off of Amazon; smartphones aren't that much more expensive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

captkirk posted:

If you'd been up to now happy with a dumbphone, you wouldn't mind any of the cheap prepaid smartphones. Or the non-pepaid but used smartphones off of ebay, which pretty much all can go on one prepaid service or another.

Seriously I've known people that up to last year were still paying for something like a $60 a month voice and texts only plan for their dumbphone, because it was just What They Had for a couple of years. They switched to like the new AT&T-owned Cricket prepaid plan for about $35 a month and got just as much texts and voice and a decent bit of data as well, to go with a cheap used phone that would work.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sacred Cow posted:

This may have been asked in the past but what would be a good laptop/commuter backpack for someone commuting from the suburbs to the city via public transportation? My over the shoulder laptop bag is starting to kill my back.

I have a Timbuk2 backpack.

http://www.timbuk2.com/customizer#/product/13-custom-swig-backpack

I absolutely love it. I bike with it all the time, as well as walking all over NYC with it. It's served me well.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
^^^ Timbuk2 Crew

Sacred Cow posted:

I have had this bag for 3+ years and love it. I don't know if your current one goes over your head to the opposite shoulder, but if not, it does make a world of difference. I used it for lugging a 15" T450 on a commuter train everyday with no complaints.

http://www.timbuk2.com/messenger-bags#/start=-1&sz=24

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mayodreams posted:

^^^ Timbuk2 Crew

I have had this bag for 3+ years and love it. I don't know if your current one goes over your head to the opposite shoulder, but if not, it does make a world of difference. I used it for lugging a 15" T450 on a commuter train everyday with no complaints.

http://www.timbuk2.com/messenger-bags#/start=-1&sz=24

Nice, but I hate messenger bags. Although the second strap deal Timbuk2 is decent. I had their commuter messenger for a while, and I even biked about 30 miles a day with it, but it wasn't as comfortable as a backpack.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I use my GoRuck GR1 bag for drat near everything but I can understand that is a bit pricey. They have cheaper ones too though like the Bullet. It'll last forever

http://www.goruck.com/15l-hydration-bullet-black-/p/GEAR-000111

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've been treading the water looking for a new gig. I found one, worked with a recruiter and went through the first round of interviews for the cloud engineer position. The standard interview was easy but technical section difficult. To my surprise the interviewer said I did an excellent job which seemed rather odd but I thought nothing of it.

Until today when I checked my inbox. As head-ups I was shown what was submitted to the hiring managers - a substantial embellishment of my skills. I called the recruiter he did the whole "Well, I didn't do the technical portion... You did answer the other questions correctly... Well, on-prem stuff is basically the same thing isn't it? You want to speak my manager... How come?"

I'm pretty pissed I'm being misrepresented as an expert when I'm clearly a novice. Is this crap common?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Regarding smartphones, even if you don't get a data plan a cheap one is worth the effort. It still works as a phone, and now you have a small tablet with you that can use WiFi hotspots. GPS also doesn't require data connectivity.

About the only downsides are battery life, bulkiness, and fragility.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

About the only downsides are battery life, bulkiness, and fragility.

Currently a lot of the 3rd party smartphones are not that bad. You really don't need the latest iOS device, trust me.

Also, didn't someone say how improved smartphone are compared to now vs back then because of their durability/design? However, I'd lost count of how many cracked smartphone screens I've seen on the subway. I have no idea myself as I tend to take care of my fancy tech crap (yeah, cases too).

Mostly because I'd be out of luck if I happen to break/lose it :sigh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sacred Cow posted:

I found that over the shoulder bags tweaked my back so I too switched to a Swig from Timbuk2. Plenty of room, pockets for loose bits, durable construction. I bought a Camelbak waterproof cover I can put on it when it rains and I'm good to go all year round.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Alder posted:

Also, didn't someone say how improved smartphone are compared to now vs back then because of their durability/design? However, I'd lost count of how many cracked smartphone screens I've seen on the subway. I have no idea myself as I tend to take care of my fancy tech crap (yeah, cases too).

That's just people being clumsy/not giving a poo poo. My younger siblings tend to go through a poo poo-load of USB charging cables because they don't take care of them. I'm still using ones that are years old. My screen isn't cracked or scratched to poo poo even though I don't put a screen protector or a gently caress-off huge otterbox on it. All I have is a simple holster that attaches to my belt.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alder posted:

Currently a lot of the 3rd party smartphones are not that bad. You really don't need the latest iOS device, trust me.

Yeah the older iPhone models were fragile as poo poo with the glass slab on the front and back. Most other phones and the newer iphones don't have that issue.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if it wasnt for business i'd switch to a longer battery life flip phone in a loving heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

TWBalls posted:

That's just people being clumsy/not giving a poo poo. My younger siblings tend to go through a poo poo-load of USB charging cables because they don't take care of them. I'm still using ones that are years old. My screen isn't cracked or scratched to poo poo even though I don't put a screen protector or a gently caress-off huge otterbox on it. All I have is a simple holster that attaches to my belt.
I agree. I don't use any kind of protective case or screen cover on my phones, and I've never had more than a single hairline scratch on them by the time i upgrade 2+ years later. Some people just don't give a poo poo.