Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Anidav posted:

I remember when the ALP opposition promised to abolish the TTCC and demilitarize Translink Cops. Now they're in Government and nothing has changed.

Jeez dude, how many meetings do think they can have in a day. poo poo takes time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

open24hours posted:

Conroy finally getting what he wants.

oh no!

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The ALP are pretty much giving the LNP a blank cheque on this legislation.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

white mans burping posted:

pretty much this whole thread mate

except for the guy in the dems, i dont know whats going on there

I turn 30 this year, definitely not considered a Baby Democrat though - Young Dems is for the 18ish set getting their first real taste of politics.

I did some how-to-vote-ing yesterday and my back and ankles are making me pay for it, let me tell you.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

ALP get the best of both worlds. LNP goes through the pain of negotiating this with industry, and when the ALP get back in next year they will pare it back to something more comfortable while leaving the bulk of it in place, in the name of "restoring the balance".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why would they bother paring it back when they want it to happen and they're getting almost no blowback for letting it happen?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why would they bother paring it back when they want it to happen and they're getting almost no blowback for letting it happen?

Politics.

E: To be more specific, they can pare it back minimally and receive zero negative feedback from the LNP for doing so, while receiving kudos from industry and the public.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Murodese posted:

Have the ALP announced that they're supporting this legislation?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Good lord we're well on our way to a technological wasteland ruled over by Murdoch

You better watch your back, Judge.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

starkebn posted:

Jeez dude, how many meetings do think they can have in a day. poo poo takes time.

I demand immediate action.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Glad I got an annual unlimited traffic VPN subscription last week.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Serrath posted:

Have the ALP announced that they're supporting this legislation?

Yes.

ALP/LNP just voted down an amendment that would define "journalist" in the act

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Murodese posted:

Yes.

ALP/LNP just voted down an amendment that would define "journalist" in the act

Sorry, I meant to ask if the ALP are supporting the proposal to allow judges to block webpages being introduced this week

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

SadisTech posted:

I'm interested in getting hooked up to one of these, is there a good guide on how to do so and what VPN's are the best to go through, on both price and service?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Serrath posted:

Sorry, I meant to ask if the ALP are supporting the proposal to allow judges to block webpages being introduced this week

Oh, sorry. They haven't said anything, but given they tried to introduce similar legislation last term (and got screamed down by the LNP for it)...

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm interested in getting hooked up to one of these, is there a good guide on how to do so and what VPN's are the best to go through, on both price and service?

Torrent Freak has a great guide.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

With the way the bill is worded, I'm cautious to take a recommendation for what VPN to use from a torrent site. The law explicitly states that

quote:

The site must also be a service operating outside Australia whose "primary purpose" is to commit or facilitate copyright infringement. It also must be proven that it is facilitating an infringement in Australia.

The judge must also find that the site is "flagrantly" infringing copyright

and it's not a stretch to imagine that they may ban some specific VPN services if it can be found that the primary purpose of that particular VPN is to facilitate piracy.

I can't remember where I read it but I thought that Brandis already commented on the fact that the legislation will allow judges to block specific VPNs for exactly this reason.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Serrath posted:

With the way the bill is worded, I'm cautious to take a recommendation for what VPN to use from a torrent site. The law explicitly states that

and it's not a stretch to imagine that they may ban some specific VPN services if it can be found that the primary purpose of that particular VPN is to facilitate piracy.

I can't remember where I read it but I thought that Brandis already commented on the fact that the legislation will allow judges to block specific VPNs for exactly this reason.

I guess you could setup an openvpn server yourself on AWS or something. It's just going to be a game of whack a mole trying to take vpn services down though.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
From the legislation

quote:

115A(2) The injunction is to require the carriage service provider to take reasonable steps to disable access to the online location. "

What if there are only unreasonable steps available

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Les Affaires posted:

Politics.

E: To be more specific, they can pare it back minimally and receive zero negative feedback from the LNP for doing so, while receiving kudos from industry and the public.

The public doesn't care and won't even notice, not even when ISPs start threatening people who torrent Expendables 4 or whatever.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SadisTech posted:

:siren:If you have an edu.au email you can sign up for this and get 100$ of credit for a VPS which you can run a VPN on.:siren:

https://education.github.com/pack

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 26, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

George brandis is a bad egg.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The public doesn't care and won't even notice, not even when ISPs start threatening people who torrent Expendables 4 or whatever.

I am so looking forward to seeing the public reaction to ISPs stopping people torrenting. It will be glorious.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Les Affaires posted:

I am so looking forward to seeing the public reaction to ISPs stopping people torrenting. It will be glorious.

People have literally no idea about this, until suddenly all their torrent sites 404 on them. My brother claims that torrenting isn't illegal because it's freely online.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Brandis has a CIA advisor in the Senate with him. Guess we know who really wants the laws, now.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

markgreyam posted:

People have literally no idea about this, until suddenly all their torrent sites 404 on them. My brother claims that torrenting isn't illegal because it's freely online.

That's what makes this so good.

Torrenting and downloading ~filez~ is normalised here, evidenced by our nation having one of the highest rates of unlawful downloading in the world. People think it's just an everyday part of life, so when the government wanders in and makes it illegal a whole bunch of average families will prick up and say "w-what? what the gently caress?". This is one of the reasons why laws and culture usually move closely together, because if they don't, it requires more work to make them politically acceptable.

Compare this with, say, marriage equality. The movement 15 years ago was in its infancy and not particularly widespread in the population, so john howard could quite freely make a law mandating marriage between man and woman. Now, the population has moved on and said "yeah okay whatever, let's do this" and eventually we'll have no choice but to change it.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It also worked the same way with asylum seekers, once Australians were made aware of systemic human rights abuse, popular opinion shifted dramatically, ultimately leading to our progressive refugee laws today

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

cpaf posted:

It also worked the same way with asylum seekers, once Australians were made aware of systemic human rights abuse, popular opinion shifted dramatically, ultimately leading to our progressive refugee laws today

don't you guff talk me young man

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Les Affaires posted:

That's what makes this so good.

Call me crazy but I'd probably prefer society to be informed up front, and while I'm at it, a unicorn that shits money :2bong:

It's just that the inevitable too-late post-event whining of the ignorant really grates on me, know what I mean?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

cpaf posted:

Australians don't care about the welfare of people who are not them.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

don't you guff talk me young man

Seriously though it will be good to see all the sad ignorant bogans and ceaselessly apologetic libertarian nerds when Curious George and Harmless Mal won't let them access Game.of.Thrones.s05e01.PiMPJuiCE.avi or The Kendra Sunderland Library Titshow

e:

kingcom posted:

Australians don't care about the welfare of people who are not them.

Except thats not the case w/ the gay marriage analogy, where a lot of Non Gays apparently care a lot??

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How will this affect my watching of trashy English panel shows on Youtube?

katlington posted:

George brandis is a bad egg.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 26, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cpaf posted:

Australians were made aware and collectively said "good".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

cpaf posted:

Except thats not the case w/ the gay marriage analogy, where a lot of Non Gays apparently care a lot??

Gay couples cant have children which is good cause we're full???

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

markgreyam posted:

Call me crazy but I'd probably prefer society to be informed up front, and while I'm at it, a unicorn that shits money :2bong:

It's just that the inevitable too-late post-event whining of the ignorant really grates on me, know what I mean?

Why or how does it grate on you?

If anybody you know ever says to you "Im so mad i can't torrent my fave movies now" you can always reply with the good ol' "Well at least we got rid of that dysfunctional labor mob eh?"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
how long will the system practically last when it's going to run up half a billion a year costs and keep either falling over, having security breaches or failing to gather any pertinent data? There's so much data it can't capture there is no way they're going to catch anyone worthwhile.

I'm sure there will be a few trials that are crazily sensationalised to justify it though.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Also w/r/t asylum seeker policy v marriage equality policy, we could have a long boring rear end talk about Same vs Other but we don't really need to.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

If Facebook Messaging is all you need to get around metadata retention, seriously, wtf?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

CrazyTolradi posted:

If Facebook Messaging is all you need to get around metadata retention, seriously, wtf?

Or even just iMessage, it encrypts the session and doesn't run through AU servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Les Affaires posted:

Why or how does it grate on you?

If anybody you know ever says to you "Im so mad i can't torrent my fave movies now" you can always reply with the good ol' "Well at least we got rid of that dysfunctional labor mob eh?"

People pay no attention to anything and then bitch and moan like all of this was completely hidden from them. Unfortunately the TV news is too busy reporting on vital stories like house fires and car accidents and their only other source of news which is what celebrities are currently doing doesn't cover actual important poo poo. Also something something reality TV I'm too tired.

Disclosure: I've had a massive headache all day and I'm just whining about this poo poo because you just know it's going to cause an outcry AFTER it all goes through because no one pays attention.

• Locked thread