Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gynovore posted:

...aaaaand yet another actress who eats two jello cubes and a celery stick a day. When will loving Hollywood learn that a bit of fat is normal and attractive?

Where in the South do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Joey Gladstone posted:

It would have been cool too if it was David Hasselhoff from Knight Rider and he was driving KITT from the show, and they go off ramps and do flips in the car

This except unironic.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

NESguerilla posted:

I'd agree it started out decent and is rapidly declining. I don't hate it as much as some, but I just don't see the premise being entertaining for even one whole season. Should have been a miniseries that focused on 2 characters and their weirdness/differences.

I'm feeling the same way, the first three episodes where perfect. Crazy broken people trying to get by when they are the only people left in the world. Phil gave up on the old world and pretty much did whatever he wanted, Carol wanted to try to hold on as much as she could, We never learned what Melissa did during her years by herself

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

We never learned what Melissa did during her years by herself

She told Carol she drove around going to coffee shops.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
This show is hilarious, I hope it can keep steam for at least a few seasons.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just hope Phil's actions gets a little less cringeworthy, for at least an episode or two. It's fine in short bursts but it hasn't stopped since January Jones showed up.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Another solution, kill off January Jones.

Her character I mean.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This show is giving me flashbacks to the Steve Carell vehicle Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, where they had some pretty good comedy about people giving no fucks and going crazy with an Earth-destroying apocalypse looming on the horizon and then blew most of the movie's runtime on a bunch of disappointing generic manic pixie dreamgirl romance. The first two episodes were loving hysterical and while I knew they weren't going to have an entire season of a one-man show they tanked that way too quickly and all the relationship drama that followed has been incredibly predictable and disappointing.

I'm in for the ride (especially if they keep doing double episodes) and I'm really hopeful that they pull it all together but right now it feels like this show is going to dethrone Awake as the king of shows that would have worked better turning the pilot into a movie instead of dragging it out into a series.

Gynovore posted:

...aaaaand yet another actress who eats two jello cubes and a celery stick a day. When will loving Hollywood learn that a bit of fat is normal and attractive?

...please tell me that some part of you is aware of the irony of you criticizing Hollywood while still shaming a woman for her appearance because you find it unattractive.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Gynovore posted:

What, you want a female version of Todd? Just look in a mirror.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sleeveless posted:

...please tell me that some part of you is aware of the irony of you criticizing Hollywood while still shaming a woman for her appearance because you find it unattractive.

I'm not criticizing Jones, I'm criticizing Hollywood. January is just doing what she has to do to be considered 'normal' there.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Were you surprised that the skinny, attractive woman on the show was skinny and attractive in a bikini?

Do you feel the need to post exaggerated witticisms every time you see a photo of a skinny woman?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just give her the fat makeup from Mad Men and move on.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This show has really taken a dive imo. It started off very interesting, and watching a checked-out Phil trying to figure out how to deal with Carol was interesting, and even though she was kind of nuts at that time I liked both of them. Now Phil is such an awful skunk that I really don't like him and haven't wanted to watch the show as much. I was watching it on Hulu and when Phil would start being an rear end in a top hat in a scene - which is basically every scene - I'd be like 'ugh' and I'd pause it for awhile and then go back... Even if the show agrees he's an rear end in a top hat, and we're not supposed to like him, it's not very fun to watch. I came in here and typed this before reading all the thread, but it looks like I'm not the only one who's felt like this since January Jones (who's doing a good job imo) showed up.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Fast Luck posted:

This show has really taken a dive imo. It started off very interesting, and watching a checked-out Phil trying to figure out how to deal with Carol was interesting, and even though she was kind of nuts at that time I liked both of them. Now Phil is such an awful skunk that I really don't like him and haven't wanted to watch the show as much. I was watching it on Hulu and when Phil would start being an rear end in a top hat in a scene - which is basically every scene - I'd be like 'ugh' and I'd pause it for awhile and then go back... Even if the show agrees he's an rear end in a top hat, and we're not supposed to like him, it's not very fun to watch. I came in here and typed this before reading all the thread, but it looks like I'm not the only one who's felt like this since January Jones (who's doing a good job imo) showed up.

I admit that I have kind of spaced out over the last few episodes, but how is January Jones' character crazy? Every character on this show post show should have their sanity hanging on by a thread; they have all been isolated for two years.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gynovore posted:

I'm not criticizing Jones, I'm criticizing Hollywood. January is just doing what she has to do to be considered 'normal' there.

She would be considered "normal" in any country where normal wasn't overweight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PassTheRemote posted:

I admit that I have kind of spaced out over the last few episodes, but how is January Jones' character crazy? Every character on this show post show should have their sanity hanging on by a thread; they have all been isolated for two years.

Melissa is a non character, which is why I dislike her. What are her defining characteristics? Vague niceness? She's simply a foil for Phil, which is a huge shame. Maybe she'll show some damage or get some personality soon, but it's a little silly that she's been in 3 episodes and she's still a blank slate.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm just not sure how many more episodes I can watch where the only plot is "Phil wants to have sex with Melissa but he can't." That got old and creepy insanely fast and I went from empathizing with Phil even though he's not the greatest guy around to disliking him completely.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I agree but I appreciated his honesty at the end of the episode and I hope it means the end of all of that.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Phil is just not funny without his hobo beard. Think about all the scenes from the first two episodes and try to imagine him clean shaven in those. Not funny. The margarita pool, loving around with the mannequin, bowling in the parking lot, etc. His beard made his smile look goofy and gave him a friendly nonchalant attitude. Now whenever he smiles or even talks he looks like a lovely used car salesman or a slimy lawyer. He went from lovable everyman to huge douchebag and I don't think I can see him any other way now. That dude's whole lower face just screams rear end in a top hat to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In the previews it seemed his face was getting fuzzier and fuzzier.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
This show pulled a reverse Riker, just like Star Trek Insurrection.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
The whole kitchen kaboodle.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

shadok posted:

The whole kitchen kaboodle.

It is kit and kaboolde :p

Anyway I don't see where this show is going. Is it going to explore the dynamics between that last 2 couples on earth or are more people going to show up. These last 2 episodes made me not like the "main" character at all.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Lowtechs posted:

It is kit and kaboolde :p

It is kaboodle :cheeky:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually it's kit and caboodle

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Carol would be proud.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I checked that with a grammar checker, just so you know :)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

That can't be right.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's right, Phil. :colbert:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Forte and Schaal are killing it acting-wise but Phil and Carol have such huge personality swings between intensely unlikable and sweet that I'm not enjoying it. And beyond Phil trying to get laid there is no story. Boring.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

What does any of this mean anyway?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kit+and+Caboodle

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It's a brand of cat food, bros and broettes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

It's a brand of cat food, bros and broettes.
:ssh: Some people might believe you

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm kind of hoping everyone gets sick of Phils creepy poo poo and all just leave him alone and the show goes on with him just being insane doing more insane things by himself.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It would be funny if they all left him due to his poo poo and he was alone again.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Glass of Milk posted:

It would be funny if they all left him due to his poo poo and he was alone again.

Maybe that's what happened. Almost everyone in the world killed themselves because they were tired of dealing with Phil's poo poo.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Maybe he is going crazy and the other people are just tennis balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

God dammit, I really liked this show, but if this is going to be another episode of Phil being creepy about Melissa... :argh:

edit: Phil, why do you look like you're going to kill the other dude. :catstare:

• Locked thread