Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Speaking of crazier things: Family was watching CNN during dinner. Here's what I learned from a panel of experts (Except Richard Quest, who was the only sane one there despite being a former meth addict):
Cyberwarfare was a possibility
Someone else on the plane could have smashed through the unarmoured bulkhead between the lavatory walls and the cockpit to get into the cockpit
The crew could have gone insane
Connected to the above, the fact that Lufthansa has yet to release any info about the pilots means that something is going on (because emotions or time to grieve or whatever isn't a thing)
Most importantly, three Americans were on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
RE: Germanwings crash

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html posted:

A senior military official involved in the investigation described “very smooth, very cool” conversation between the pilots during the early part of the flight from Barcelona to Düsseldorf. Then the audio indicated that one of the pilots left the cockpit and could not re-enter.

“The guy outside is knocking lightly on the door and there is no answer,” the investigator said. “And then he hits the door stronger and no answer. There is never an answer.”

He said, “You can hear he is trying to smash the door down.”

Pretty scary poo poo.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 26, 2015

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pretty scary poo poo.

Sounds like the pilot committed suicide, well it reads that way.

If there was accidental depressurization what are the odds anyone was awake for the actual impact?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pretty scary poo poo.

holy poo poo

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

A picture of the CVR from the Germanwings accident. Goddamn.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

If there was accidental depressurization what are the odds anyone was awake for the actual impact?

If it was a case of the aircraft never pressurizing or slowly decompressing, most of the passengers and crew would likely have been unconscious, but the fact that the crew still would have gotten various warnings about the cabin pressure once it went above about 8-10,000ft makes that somewhat unlikely.

If it were an explosive decompression (and subsequent emergency decent going horribly wrong), there's a good chance at least some of the passengers (and probably most of the crew) would have been concious, since the aircrft would have rapidly been heading into thicker air, and the flight attendants would have started using oxygen pretty much immediately after the decompression.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Regnevelc posted:

So, I'm not fully versed on how the doors to the cockpit are locked. If someone leaves the cockpit, do they have a key to get in and out and there's an additional deadbolt to fully bar entry or do they leave the door unlocked for the time it takes them to go to the bathroom or something?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

This is ugly

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm not fully versed on how the doors to the cockpit are locked. If someone leaves the cockpit, do they have a key to get in and out and there's an additional deadbolt to fully bar entry or do they leave the door unlocked for the time it takes them to go to the bathroom or something?

Electronic keypads on lots of flights, I think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pretty scary poo poo.

Well at least he wasn't chanting "tawkalt ala allah"

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I will say the New York Times coverage has been very measured, even and thorough. In several articles about the crash, they have included clear bullet point insets of what is known and unknown, repeated mentions that air crash investigations take months or years to be completed, named sources for any major claims, and included very clear graphic presentations. Obviously television reporting is supremely bad, but give the grey lady her due.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Zoodpipe posted:

A picture of the CVR from the Germanwings accident. Goddamn.

The important bit looks to be in good shape though!

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Pilot leaves the cockpit for a piss after the plane reaches cruising altitude, co-pilot croaks and in his death sends the plane into a gentle descent where it plows into an alp.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Linedance posted:

The important bit looks to be in good shape though!

Are the recording bits located in the cylindrical piece?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Pilot leaves the cockpit for a piss after the plane reaches cruising altitude, co-pilot croaks and in his death sends the plane into a gentle descent where it plows into an alp.

3500fpm isn't gentle at all.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zoodpipe posted:

Are the recording bits located in the cylindrical piece?

That's where the data is stored, the part we want access to, yes. I think the thing on the left is the locator beacon and thing on the right is recording equipment. at least if CNN guy is to be believed

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

bobfather posted:

Electronic keypads on lots of flights, I think.

A320 manual says there is a keypad:

http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/ECLIPSE_WEB/TSE2015/A320_DOCUMENTS/A320_Operating_Manual_PDF_N_FCOM_RJA_TF_N_EU__20130329_DSC_25.pdf

quote:

When the flight crew does not respond to requests for entry, the door can also be unlocked by
the cabin crew, by entering a two to seven-digit code (programmed by the airline) on the keypad,
installed on the lateral side of the Forward Attendant Panel (FAP).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CharlesM posted:

That's where the data is stored, the part we want access to, yes. I think the thing on the left is the locator beacon and thing on the right is recording equipment. at least if CNN guy is to be believed

The cylinder is where the memory is, encased in essentially layers of metal and cement and fire resistant composites and such. The crushed bit is basically circuitry and interface, the silver cylinder on the left is mainly the battery for the locator beacon, which is essentially just a vibrator that buzzes for as long as the battery holds out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Regnevelc posted:

I doubt it would matter one way or another. You wouldn't have enough time to register what just happened if the airplane you're riding in plows into a mountainside at 500+ MPH in the dead of night.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Frinkahedron posted:

A320 manual says there is a keypad:

http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/ECLIPSE_WEB/TSE2015/A320_DOCUMENTS/A320_Operating_Manual_PDF_N_FCOM_RJA_TF_N_EU__20130329_DSC_25.pdf

quote:

When the flight crew does not respond to requests for entry, the door can also be unlocked by
the cabin crew, by entering a two to seven-digit code (programmed by the airline) on the keypad,
installed on the lateral side of the Forward Attendant Panel (FAP).

What is French German for "guest"?

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 26, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Depends on what the airline selects, and what the regulatory body requires. I would think most airlines have some type of keypad system, but the exact model will differ and configuration would differ from airline to airline.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Geoj posted:

I doubt it would matter one way or another. You wouldn't have enough time to register what just happened if the airplane you're riding in plows into a mountainside at 500+ MPH in the dead of night.

True. But wasn't it in the afternoon?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Late morning. Not sure why I thought it was in the middle of the night.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Linedance posted:

Depends on what the airline selects, and what the regulatory body requires. I would think most airlines have some type of keypad system, but the exact model will differ and configuration would differ from airline to airline.

That's what I figured, although if this could have been prevented by requiring a keypad, I imagine it'll get required by everyone pretty soon.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Linedance posted:

The ones I see have the electronic lock, but also a multiposition physical lock. Its positions are Open, Locked (key operable) and Locked (key inoperable)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Regnevelc posted:

True. But wasn't it in the afternoon?

10:41 AM local time.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Submitted without comment,

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

That's what I figured, although if this could have been prevented by requiring a keypad, I imagine it'll get required by everyone pretty soon.

9/11 is what required everyone to have "enhanced security" doors and controlled access systems, but the FAA probably didn't spell out exactly what kind of controlled access system. If you never operate in US airspace, although EASA would likely have similar regulations, you might not have to comply with what the FAA tell you to have installed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

E- bit, but spat it out

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 26, 2015

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

smooth jazz posted:

Submitted without comment,

What's the context of this? DLH493 is a Vancouver-Frankfurt run?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Spaced God posted:

What's the context of this? DLH493 is a Vancouver-Frankfurt run?

Predates the crash by over a week too. Someone at Lufthansa's Vancouver operation doesn't like pilots.

It's basically the rudest and most hostile a Canadian has ever been too.

Edit: the XXMAR15 is the year, not the day, duh; but I did see it before the crash!

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 26, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
ED: ^^^ Oh Lufthansa

Who / what company is "LH" ?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Regnevelc posted:

This is Approach Magazine, published by NAVAIR safety center (American naval air command safety). Basically, you have an emergency, declare an emergency, w/e, you are HIGHLY encouraged to write to them, they publish your article. More of a lessons learned, maybe I should've done this over that to prevent this emergency kinda thing. These are handed out every month in every naval aviation squadron and always have great stories-- from deployed squadrons down to flight school

http://www.public.navy.mil/comnavsafecen/Documents/media/magazines/approach/2015_Jan-Feb.pdf

check out the article on page 10. Growler (F-18G) backseater didn't wear his mask, got hypoxic. Even with full oxygen flowing after pulling the green ring, he says it takes ten mins to be free of the effets. And he wasn't wearing his mask in a somewhat pressurized cockpit. No pressure at FL 380? If you don't get that mask on within a few seconds, you're consciousness/brain is done

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bob A Feet posted:

This is Approach Magazine, published by NAVAIR safety center (American naval air command safety). Basically, you have an emergency, declare an emergency, w/e, you are HIGHLY encouraged to write to them, they publish your article. More of a lessons learned, maybe I should've done this over that to prevent this emergency kinda thing. These are handed out every month in every naval aviation squadron and always have great stories-- from deployed squadrons down to flight school

http://www.public.navy.mil/comnavsafecen/Documents/media/magazines/approach/2015_Jan-Feb.pdf

In the same vein, NASA publishes "Callback," a safety newsletter for civilian aviation: http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's basically the rudest and most hostile a Canadian has ever been too.

Haha, yeah, most likely the disgruntled ground staff typed it up on a terminal, hit "print screen", and immediately felt bad and promptly deleted it.

Bob A Feet posted:

No pressure at FL 380? If you don't get that mask on within a few seconds, you're consciousness/brain is done

I remember one of my instructors in college described the training he underwent for this (I'm pretty sure it was for the miltary), where they sit you in a pressurized chamber and suddenly evacuate all the pressure to simulate (or I suppose actually create) a rapid decompression. He described it as the whole chamber instantly filling with dense fog and if you haven't got your mask out and on in a couple of seconds, you're out cold. And you had to do it until you could get your mask on successfully.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah the stuff they tell you about securing your mask before anyone elses ie your child is no poo poo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Papers all around the world are quoting the NY Times on one of the pilots being shut out and trying to smash the door down. It also says the flight data recorder was found, but was missing its memory card, perhaps thrown clear on impact.

Holy poo poo if true, then it looks like a pilot suicide.

But there is something about it which smells funny. There are ways to open the door from the outside, by design. Perhaps you can block it by pulling a circuit breaker, I have no idea. But the flight data recorder being found without its memory card is equally a weird piece of exclusive news. It's not a compact flash sitting in an open slot, is it?

I hope this isn't true, but it seems too incredible to make up as well. Holy poo poo if it's true, holy poo poo the NY Times is dead if it isn't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm waiting for someone at CNN to remember the opening scene of the second Mission Impossible movie.

I also think CNN latches onto plane crash stories because they secretly hate their viewership, who are usually just about to board airplanes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 26, 2015

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Ola posted:

Papers all around the world are quoting the NY Times on one of the pilots being shut out and trying to smash the door down. It also says the flight data recorder was found, but was missing its memory card, perhaps thrown clear on impact.

Holy poo poo if true, then it looks like a pilot suicide.

But there is something about it which smells funny. There are ways to open the door from the outside, by design. Perhaps you can block it by pulling a circuit breaker, I have no idea. But the flight data recorder being found without its memory card is equally a weird piece of exclusive news. It's not a compact flash sitting in an open slot, is it?

I hope this isn't true, but it seems too incredible to make up as well. Holy poo poo if it's true, holy poo poo the NY Times is dead if it isn't.

The BBC has been quoting the same thing, though they're saying there's no issue with the flight recorder data, just that it will take time to analyse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Barnsy posted:

The BBC has been quoting the same thing, though they're saying there's no issue with the flight recorder data, just that it will take time to analyse.

Yeah the memory card thing sounds weird. But maybe it was another black hole that just popped up and BLOOP sucked the memory card into another dimension.