Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Larry needs to

1) take a strong stand with the points he wants to make but for some reason doesn't
2) become a better performer, which he is doing but at a slow pace

That being said I loved the Jesus piece, I'm not entirely sure what the problem was. He swerved on a very obvious premise and ended it with Jesus saying some weird poo poo that the audience hated. He made an audience boo Jesus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, you got me there. It's frustrating, but it really feels like Larry is a little in over his head. He doesn't seem to have the ability to tackle bad and bad faith arguments on the spot. Stuff that Colbert could do in his sleep.

What I'm saying is that I miss The Colbert Report.

I remember one moment on The Nightly Show where one of the right-wing panel guests brought up the "Obama said he wants to 'fundamentally transform' America" talking point, and Larry responded with, "You know what? The Emancipation Proclamation fundamentally transformed America. Giving women the right to vote fundamentally transformed America. The Civil Rights Act fundamentally transformed America."

I wish there were more moments like that on the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Given the appropriate time periods, that guy probably would have been against all of those too.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jon Stewart rules.

I like Michelle Rodriguez and I consider the Fast & Furious movies the best superhero movie franchise. Please stop saying stupid things, MRod. :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

White people sure love grasping at anything that might help them ignore any challenge to their worldview, don't they.

Never mind that nobody is going to ever know exactly what happened and that there are utter shitloads of very explicit examples of unarmed black people being killed by the police (which these same people conveniently pretend never happened when they realize there is no room for argument)

Not all white people are Fox News viewers. Although all Fox News viewers are probably white people.

Not that you're not right about a ton of people.

raditts posted:

Michelle Rodriguez is a unique superhero and her superpower is sucking and dying in every movie she stars in.

...and really, the only thing that keeps her from totally ripping off Sean Bean's superpower is that she sucks, so maybe she should take her own advice.

Michelle Rodriguez's superpower is her adamantium liver. She got killed off on Lost because she kept getting DUIs in Hawaii, judging from that clip, nothing's changed.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 21, 2015

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Oh goddamn it, not again VA.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hey, Irish Joe?

Pre-emptively gently caress off. This is what we were talking about a few pages back (or was that on the Last Week Tonight thread?)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oh hey, it's this crazy lady.

I'm really disgusted with TDS for having her on.:waycool:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Isn't Ted Cruz Canadian? Or is that some other right wing creepo I'm thinking of?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

raditts posted:

Isn't Ted Cruz Canadian? Or is that some other right wing creepo I'm thinking of?

He is, but he denounced his citizenship or something like that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If that was how running for president worked it wouldn't be a problem. Good job, Ted.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm behind so I'm still watching the conversation with this muslim reform lady. I have no idea what she's trying to say.

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

He is, but he denounced his citizenship or something like that.

I don't think it's that easy, lest we forget the first two years of the current presidency and he was actually born in America.
Not that it matters because :laffo: if anyone thinks loving Ted Cruz is going to come anywhere close to getting the nomination.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Most of the people I've seen who support Cruz for President either don't know he wasn't born in America, or pull the "Well Obama wasn't born in America either" line.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what is the real deal with that 33733 number? I thought at first the twist would be that it makes a donation but neither of the shows that riffed on it seem to know what it's actually for.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

So what is the real deal with that 33733 number? I thought at first the twist would be that it makes a donation but neither of the shows that riffed on it seem to know what it's actually for.
Like 90% sure it's a mailing list.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Wow why did Jon have this lady on? He tried very hard to point out that so much of what she was saying was not exclusively applicable to Islam, but she just flat out ignored him each time. She reminds me a bit of Sam Harris, in a bad way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Neeksy posted:

Wow why did Jon have this lady on? He tried very hard to point out that so much of what she was saying was not exclusively applicable to Islam, but she just flat out ignored him each time. She reminds me a bit of Sam Harris, in a bad way.

Ayaan's grandmother had her 'circumcised' at the age of five while her father, who was opposed to the practice, was in Somalian jail. She's specifically said "Islam must be destroyed" and that it's "the new fascism."

She's an ideologue who used to work for the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative 'think tank' that has Dick Cheney on the board of trustees. She ignored him because 1) it doesn't help sell her book, and 2) it contradicts a narrative that makes her a *lot* of money.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ayaan's grandmother had her 'circumcised' at the age of five while her father, who was opposed to the practice, was in Somalian jail. She's specifically said "Islam must be destroyed" and that it's "the new fascism."

She's an ideologue who used to work for the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative 'think tank' that has Dick Cheney on the board of trustees. She ignored him because 1) it doesn't help sell her book, and 2) it contradicts a narrative that makes her a *lot* of money.

I understood why she ignored him. I was wondering why he would put her on his show, considering it was going to be impossible to have a fruitful discussion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Neeksy posted:

I understood why she ignored him. I was wondering why he would put her on his show, considering it was going to be impossible to have a fruitful discussion.

Because sometimes you need to have someone undeniably very well-educated come on the program and spout the ten-dollar-word version of what people post in barely literate English on Free Republic to remind your audience that someone who might espouse liberal (or moderate) viewpoints on occasion can be just as crazy and zealot-like as the sorts Fox News keeps on speed dial.

She doesn't want an Islamic 'reformation' - she wants them to kill each other as much as possible for as long as possible. And the funny thing is, her book actually has more chance of slowing *down* the possibility of an Islamic Civil War/Reformation because there's nothing the Shia and Sunni like more than deciding whom they both hate.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 24, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because sometimes you need to have someone undeniably very well-educated come on the program and spout the ten-dollar-word version of what people post in barely literate English on Free Republic to remind your audience that someone who might espouse liberal (or moderate) viewpoints on occasion can be just as crazy and zealot-like as the sorts Fox News keeps on speed dial.

I still could barely follow what she was trying to say. But I could tell that whatever it was had to be crazy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah I thought this lady "left" Islam. Or am I confusing her with another person? Did she rejoin Islam to demand a reformation now?

Can I demand Reddit Atheism into having a reformation?

Strobe posted:

Hey, Irish Joe?

Pre-emptively gently caress off. This is what we were talking about a few pages back (or was that on the Last Week Tonight thread?)
It's the John Oliver thread.

It's harder to troll this thread if it means keeping up with four or eight episodes a week.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 24, 2015

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I just gotta laugh at all the people who are making a big deal about this Starbucks thing. They fell hook, line and sinker for this marketing ploy by talking about it which is exactly what the PR agency who Starbucks hired wanted.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SyRauk posted:

I just gotta laugh at all the people who are making a big deal about this Starbucks thing. They fell hook, line and sinker for this marketing ploy by talking about it which is exactly what the PR agency who Starbucks hired wanted.

No this actually is something the guy running Starbucks would do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh good, Larry brought back The Blaze's one black friend again like it ain't no thing. Gearing up to yell at the TV whenever some dumb poo poo comes tumbling out of her mouth again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Aaaaand that's it, I'm done. I'm turning in my "Nightly Show Defender" card. When you give crazy wackadoodles a platform to spread ignorance and gum up a debate otherwise worth having, your show is not for me. Not going to watch it unless I hear that it's gotten substantially better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

To be fair, Larry actually showed some backbone against her dumb poo poo this time, and somehow Lewis Black would up being the most intelligent and well-spoken person at the table.
I'm really only watching anymore because I haven't trained myself to go to sleep before midnight again yet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ugh, I'm glad I live on the west coast. I really do love @Midnight, though, so I wish there was something good between it and The Daily Show again.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Ayaan's extended interview is better, although it's still two mostly two people talking at each other. I really thought they edited the aired version to make her look as bad as possible.

I found accusations of her just trying to sell her book particularly gross and disingenuous. Everyone going on that show is trying to sell/promote something. But I guess it's important to call out the one whose cause is the rights of minority women.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 25, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought tonight's episode was alright. I enjoyed Lewis Black shooting down the notion that Creationists need respect.

Larry's staff sucks at performance.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Ted Cruz really doesn't deserve a full episode. I understand the temptation because he's essentially another Trump, Bachmann, or Palin; but we all know he loves the hate. Even when Wilmore gives an occasional first act with teeth, the panel and mini-game at the end of the show neuters it and "leaves it there" CNN-style.

Also, Stewart has the best phone-a-friend.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Modus Pwnens posted:

Ayaan's extended interview is better, although it's still two mostly two people talking at each other. I really thought they edited the aired version to make her look as bad as possible.

I found accusations of her just trying to sell her book particularly gross and disingenuous. Everyone going on that show is trying to sell/promote something. But I guess it's important to call out the one whose cause is the rights of minority women.

gently caress's sake, get down off the cross man. Out of all the things people were calling her / that interview on, "rights of minority women" was absolutely not one of them.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

raditts posted:

gently caress's sake, get down off the cross man. Out of all the things people were calling her / that interview on, "rights of minority women" was absolutely not one of them.

When a victim of female genital mutilation is arguing that Islam is fundamentally violent and harmful to women, he doesn't have to agree, but to quip she wants people to buy her book--when every author that comes on his show is selling a book--is ugly and cynical. It really felt like he had his mind made up about her beforehand in a way that made for a worse interview. They eventually got into a more back-and-forth conversation (so I would recommend the extended interview just to see what she was attempting to say) but that's not what they decided to air.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

To be fair, Larry actually showed some backbone against her dumb poo poo this time, and somehow Lewis Black would up being the most intelligent and well-spoken person at the table.
I'm really only watching anymore because I haven't trained myself to go to sleep before midnight again yet.

I keep watching out of habit, and because TDS/Colbert used to be my go to "watch this during lunch break" thing but god Larry's writing and delivery is loving painful, the panels are usually terrible, and whoever decided party games needed to be the third act was terribly misguided, even post-keep it 100 every episode. When Stewbeef leaves CC is going to be in pretty dire straits unless the new guy/gal hits it out of the park.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Oh my god, that hearing was basically Take Your Pick in the modern day.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wasn't this guy on that Ramsay show. Hotel Hell? It looks like all the renovations are still in place.

:lol: that deer is high as poo poo!

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 26, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Want that deer.

edit: ^Yes http://www.fox.com/watch/316475459814/7684543488

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This guy is amazing. :allears:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
aaaaaaaaaahahahahahah that fuckin deer

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Wasn't this guy on that Ramsay show. Hotel Hell? It looks like all the renovations are still in place.

:lol: that deer is high as poo poo!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

I want that guy's life. Just chill in your own hotel with your dog and your deer and your weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
RIP Jason Jones :(

• Locked thread