Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I was hoping that's what this summer project was with it being Ray's big premiere and stand out. It's to bad we don't get Felicity :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

Guggenheim said they weren't allowed to use Harley or Bronze Tiger anymore (that's why he was killed in the comics apparently) and we just saw them kill Lawton and effectively write the connection to the Suicide Squad out of the show. So I'd say it's pretty apparent. I don't know that they'll treat all the characters like that. Two other characters from that movie (Slade and Harkness) are the only two prisoners locked on an island in the middle of nowhere. Doesn't seem like coincidence. How far it goes will probably depend on just how integral the character is to the show. For instance I don't think they'll take Flash off the air when the Flash movie comes out.
Man I would've really wanted to see a full on Arrowverse Suicide Squad with Slade and Digger in it as well. Cupid was really fun too, she can be Arrow-Harley for all I care.

Not even a webisode, guys? :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This was so much better than last week's episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's because it was a actual super hero show with a dude flying around with X Ray vision , super suit, and wizard powers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really enjoyed the HIVE cameo as well, kinda hinting at how an organization like that will work on this show.

I mean, it'll probably just be a lot like Hydra, but cult-ish evil organizations are always fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

It was so over done though as to be just ridiculous , it really looks like he just straight up murdered him. Also, how did Oliver disable Rays suit? Shoot his belt, I didn't get that.

I saw a weakness. You apparently have your power cords all on the exterior.

It was the battery or something. It had blinky lights.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
It really was a pretty good episode. I think the showrunners might need to consider how much time they really need to be devoting to the flashbacks. The China arc has kinda felt like they're doing these flashbacks purely because them's the rules of da show and ya gotta follow 'em, story be damned.

If you've got a good reason to do them, like in this episode and seasons 1 & 2, then sure, do them, but maybe next season they could consider only doing a Flashback episode when they've an important story to tell. In between they could either do flashbacks for supporting cast, villains, or hell, just don't do a flashback. This isn't Lost, I'm sure we'll be fine.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

It really was a pretty good episode. I think the showrunners might need to consider how much time they really need to be devoting to the flashbacks. The China arc has kinda felt like they're doing these flashbacks purely because them's the rules of da show and ya gotta follow 'em, story be damned.

If you've got a good reason to do them, like in this episode and seasons 1 & 2, then sure, do them, but maybe next season they could consider only doing a Flashback episode when they've an important story to tell. In between they could either do flashbacks for supporting cast, villains, or hell, just don't do a flashback. This isn't Lost, I'm sure we'll be fine.

I think doing flashbacks for villains would be great, could allow the show to humanize them if they want to.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I was hoping that's what this summer project was with it being Ray's big premiere and stand out. It's to bad we don't get Felicity :(.

Why not?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think they said she'd be in the mid season hiatus show. Also it's a really good idea to have the Mid Season Hiatus show be about side characters, like the Atom etc..

Basically it could be a The Atom, show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I really enjoyed the HIVE cameo as well, kinda hinting at how an organization like that will work on this show.

I mean, it'll probably just be a lot like Hydra, but cult-ish evil organizations are always fun.

It'd probably be a cross between the cultishness of Kobra (DC's version of Hydra) but without all of the explicit superpowered trappings of H.I.V.E. (i.e. Queen Bee is just a really good cult leader and not actually psychic).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

JohnSherman posted:

Latest satellite imagery...on my Windows tablet!

Given the way they are going with this, I fully expect Ray's visor to display the windows logo the next time he boots the suit up.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So what is with the decision behind making The Atom into Not Iron Man instead of a dude who shrinks? I mean, they are willing to have a telepathic gorilla and a guy who controls the weather in the same tv universe but a shrinking guy is too weird or something? I really find that dumb as hell.

This show has turned into garbage. Really a shame since it started so strongly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So what is with the decision behind making The Atom into Not Iron Man instead of a dude who shrinks? I mean, they are willing to have a telepathic gorilla and a guy who controls the weather in the same tv universe but a shrinking guy is too weird or something? I really find that dumb as hell.

This show has turned into garbage. Really a shame since it started so strongly.

You got it sorta backwards. They didn't take The Atom and then change him into a powered suit guy, they took a powered suit guy and changed him into The Atom.

What happened was they wanted to use Blue Beetle - the suit guy - and then they found out they couldn't use Ted Kord, his secret identity. So they figured "gently caress it" and just continued to use Blue Beetle regardless, and just changed his name to Ray Palmer/The Atom, but kept his power set the same as before.

They didn't mess with Atom's powers, they messed with Blue Beetle's secret identity.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

XboxPants posted:

You got it sorta backwards. They didn't take The Atom and then change him into a powered suit guy, they took a powered suit guy and changed him into The Atom.

What happened was they wanted to use Blue Beetle - the suit guy - and then they found out they couldn't use Ted Kord, his secret identity. So they figured "gently caress it" and just continued to use Blue Beetle regardless, and just changed his name to Ray Palmer/The Atom, but kept his power set the same as before.

They didn't mess with Atom's powers, they messed with Blue Beetle's secret identity.

That somehow makes it even more loving retarded.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I would watch Brandon Routh as a TV Superman.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That somehow makes it even more loving retarded.

If you say so. I could care less what the character's name is, and I don't see how corporate telling them to change the guy's name from "Ted" to "Ray" is any kind of negative editorial control that has any impact on the strength of the character whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the season has problems, but for me the name of the guy who bought Oliver's company is pretty far down the list.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ray Palmer in the comics is lame. Because the shrinking power is lame. It takes a really talented writer to give that any appeal and it's a power that's really only suited to comedy, especially in live action. Ray Palmer on this show is an improvement in every single way. And that's before you even get to the fact that it's Brandon Routh being awesome in the role.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:v: -Let's make a show about a hero who runs incredibly fast! And it'll have a plot where he got his powers by a horrible science accident that also created super-powered villains!

:clint: -Great idea! Let's greenlight this bitch! What do we call him?

:v: -Batman!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who gives a gently caress if he's an Ironman clone anyway. Ironman is a boss.

besides, DC/Marvel been robbing each others characters for 50 years

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:v: -Let's make a show about a hero who runs incredibly fast! And it'll have a plot where he got his powers by a horrible science accident that also created super-powered villains!

People actually liked Flash in the comic though. Nobody gives a gently caress about the comic version of Ray Palmer. Except you for some strange reason.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
This seems like the dumbest reason to not like something ever. Who cares if he had a green tech suit powered by a hard light emitter and was called Green Lantern, as long as he was written well within the context of the show?

The character is cool, Atom is a cool superhero name, it's cool.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Deadpool posted:

People actually liked Flash in the comic though. Nobody gives a gently caress about the comic version of Ray Palmer. Except you for some strange reason.

Honestly I don't care about the Atom, I just find it baffling that they are taking a comic character that is known for shrinking and making him into iron man. I dunno, when I see known characters from comics, I guess I just expect them to be, you know, the characters from the comics. I wouldn't even mention this if they just decided that they were going to introduce a new character who was a rich dude with a powersuit into the show.

Edit: I guess I'll just shut up about it now as no one gives a gently caress, which is strange considering how comic/tv fans usually go into convulsions over minutia, not even mentioning just changing a character completely. Weird.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 26, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Honestly I don't care about the Atom, I just find it baffling that they are taking a comic character that is known for shrinking and making him into iron man Ironman. I dunno, when I see known characters from comics, I guess I just expect them to be, you know, the characters from the comics. I wouldn't even mention this if they just decided that they were going to introduce a new character who was a rich dude with a powersuit Supersuit into the show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You say that as if "blue beetle" would have made more sense for a character powered by nanotechnology & super-science than "the atom".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Edit: I guess I'll just shut up about it now as no one gives a gently caress, which is strange considering how comic/tv fans usually go into convulsions over minutia, not even mentioning just changing a character completely. Weird.

This is why most comic fans are terrible and people that can't separate written comics from live action adaptations should always be ignored. Having a shrinking hero on this show would be dumb because it doesn't fit with this show. Let him do that on his own show next year if they find some reason for it to make sense, it doesn't fit on this show as it is now though. The power set he has now works because it makes sense in the context of this show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Honestly I don't care about the Atom, I just find it baffling that they are taking a comic character that is known for shrinking and making him into iron man. I dunno, when I see known characters from comics, I guess I just expect them to be, you know, the characters from the comics. I wouldn't even mention this if they just decided that they were going to introduce a new character who was a rich dude with a powersuit into the show.

Yeah, but this show has played fast and loose since day one. You realize this is what Lyla Micheals aka Harbinger looks like in the comics, right:

Speedy is Oliver's sister, Canary is Laurel Lance's sister who was a member of the League of Assassins and bisexual, Wildcat is some lame failed boxer or something, etc etc etc. Loose comic adaptation has been the rule of Arrow all along and it's weird that you'd suddenly be annoyed by this, but none of the previous stuff.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Deadpool posted:

This is why most comic fans are terrible and people that can't separate written comics from live action adaptations should always be ignored. Having a shrinking hero on this show would be dumb because it doesn't fit with this show. Let him do that on his own show next year if they find some reason for it to make sense, it doesn't fit on this show as it is now though. The power set he has now works because it makes sense in the context of this show.

I guess so, but I find having a power suit guy who flies completely out of character for this show as well. Honestly if the blue beetle showed up in The Flash instead of this show it would make a lot more sense, even if it's the same universe. Eh, maybe DareDevil will be better overall. I was just honestly looking forward to this show being a bit more martial-arts action kind of antics with occasional weirdness, I think making a flying power suit dude takes it into the other part of the DC TV universe a bit too much. But at this point, it seems like the producers don't give much of a gently caress.

Edit: Yeah I guess I've just realized that is more my problem with the atom in this show. He just feels like he doesn't belong to me, regardless of what his name is. I wouldn't expect to see Grodd showing up in Starling City at all, you know?

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 26, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flying in a tech suit with no actual superpowers is a bit too much for you but your original point was how you were mad the guy wasn't shrinking? I don't understand this line of thinking. A tech suit is much more in line with this show than shrinking powers. As I said shrinking is mostly a joke power. It's lame and better suited to comedy and light hearted superheroic stuff. Which is why it would feel completely out of place on this show. That's why Ant-Man is a comedy comic book and why the movie is going to be the most comedic of Marvel's movies. No matter how many serious Atom comics have been written over the years the general public will always see that power as a wacky goofy power.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I guess so, but I find having a power suit guy who flies completely out of character for this show as well. Honestly if the blue beetle showed up in The Flash instead of this show it would make a lot more sense, even if it's the same universe. Eh, maybe DareDevil will be better overall. I was just honestly looking forward to this show being a bit more martial-arts action kind of antics with occasional weirdness, I think making a flying power suit dude takes it into the other part of the DC TV universe a bit too much. But at this point, it seems like the producers don't give much of a gently caress.

Edit: Yeah I guess I've just realized that is more my problem with the atom in this show. He just feels like he doesn't belong to me, regardless of what his name is. I wouldn't expect to see Grodd showing up in Starling City at all, you know?

Sure, and that's fair. They're doing better with it now, but especially earlier it often felt like Palmer's scenes were just kinda bolted onto the side of the show with no real connection, purely because they wanted to push this character for their connected CW-verse (though Routh has always killed it). Maybe you'll get your wish if the mid-season thing is successful and he'll mostly leave the show, but we're never going back to 100% unpowered. That ship sailed a long time ago.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If they had to write off their own Suicide Squad characters because the movie is coming out, then The Flash series is going to be hosed hard once the movie starts development. It's such a dick move that they declared the actor playing a comic book hero years in advance before the movie is even in pre-planning that it shows that really don't give a gently caress about the CW shows and will just do whatever they want in their desperate attempt to match the MCU.

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.

Scyantific posted:

If the SS rumors are true then that really loving sucks for the long and oft-rumored SS miniseries. TV Lawton is way better than Will Smith can ever hope to be.

I love TV Lawton, but let's not get crazy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I applaud the writers for attempting to portray the ways in which PTSD warps the mind for so many veterans. One of the things I adore about Arrow is how they don't shy away from Oliver's traumatic backstory, even going so far as to imply that he is fundamentally damaged and not in a "emotionally stunted" sterilized way.

But those flashbacks were not good. Just the most generic dialogue imaginable. Shame too, because I liked all of the suicide squad stuff in the present day.

Also, the casting director deserves a raise for bringing on Brandon Routh for this role. Without him, he'd be an insufferable douchebag. But somehow Routh brings out the earnest delivery without ever losing Palmer's basic arrogance. Just a fantastic performance, week in and week out.

Also also, DC really needs to stop chasing the dragon with Marvel's movie universe. They're rushing every element of their launch, casting seems to be going for big names over the right names, and they're using the pile of turgid po-faced Man of Steel as a launching pad.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So, uh...No resolution to Shado still being alive in the flashbacks last ep, huh?

Also I liked funny, doesn't-give-a-gently caress Deadshot and it sucks they hastily wrote him off like that.

Every scene involving Felicity was excruciatingly dull and terrible this week. I miss when Felicity scenes used to be the funniest part of the show instead of this teen soap opera bullshit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

XboxPants posted:

Loose comic adaptation has been the rule of Arrow all along and it's weird that you'd suddenly be annoyed by this, but none of the previous stuff.

I dunno, I feel kinda the same way. I was going to say it's really only a bitch for comic readers, but I've never read anything with Blue Beetle or Atom before. Honestly, if there never existed an Atom before in any kind of media, Ray Palmer would seem just fine, but since I'm aware of the "real" Atom, it seems like an odd divergence. It does indeed feel like they made up a somewhat generic superhero and said "we're gonna call him Spiderman!" when literally any other name (Booster Gold, even) would have avoided all these comparisons from comic fans.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, the casting director deserves a raise for bringing on Brandon Routh for this role. Without him, he'd be an insufferable douchebag. But somehow Routh brings out the earnest delivery without ever losing Palmer's basic arrogance. Just a fantastic performance, week in and week out.

Actually, I really didn't like Palmer this episode, and thought "insufferable douchebag" was a pretty good call. An unidentified guy in a hood kills some people, and he KNOWS Arrow is guilty, with a smarmy, unshakeable confidence. He knows Felicity has been working with him for years, but nope, he knows way better than her because he saw the Arrow at a crime scene with dead bodies, which is a pretty typical night for Arrow regardless. Even when Oliver goes to him peacefully and tries to explain, Palmer goes into smug, know-it-all superdouche mode, because Palmer's just so convinced that he's right based on nothing but supposition. It pissed me off a bit because no one stopped to think "how do we know it was the Arrow? Well, we don't know who he really is, so if we get a report about a guy who we don't know, it MUST be the Arrow!" :downs:

I'm really glad he came off his high horse so easily after getting his rear end kicked, because for a while there I was really thinking that they were building to an Arrow vs Atom season finale.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All Oliver has to do is catch literally any one of his copycats and he'd be fine.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ray was a big douche but I felt like there was a pretty good purpose to his big doucheyness. It was nice to see him finally brought into the main plots, at least.

Maseo's the one who's coming across more and more like a brain-dead cipher as time goes on. I mean, it's not as if he was ever exactly a compelling character in the first place, but now he's just some annoying weirdo who spouts expository gibberish about how great Ra's Al Ghul is and how everyone should want to polish his knob over and over again.

I'm sure at some point near the finale Tatsu's gonna be like "I love you, Maseo! Remember who you are!" and then he'll remember who he is just in time to sacrifice himself to help Oliver or whatever. Yugh, good riddance in advance. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

greatn posted:

All Oliver has to do is catch literally any one of his copycats and he'd be fine.

And I'm pretty sure R'as knows that as well. We've already seen him send several different "Arrow"s along, and it would probably be hard to capture one if there's backup in the wings waiting to free him.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BrianWilly posted:

Maseo's the one who's coming across more and more like a brain-dead cipher as time goes on. I mean, it's not as if he was ever exactly a compelling character in the first place, but now he's just some annoying weirdo who spouts expository gibberish about how great Ra's Al Ghul is and how everyone should want to polish his knob over and over again.

Maseo probably wants Oliver to take over even more than Ra's does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

greatn posted:

I seriously doubt he would be able to take one alive and if he didn't all it would prove is that he has an extra costume lying around. He'd need to catch someone on film framing him.

• Locked thread