Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Since next year is leap year there should be an alternative for February where you paint something that's leaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe the themes could be tied into the narrative (if there is one) rather than being based on the seasons? e.g. our intrepid Ork has been wandering around the caves for a while and steps outside only to be blinded by all the light, so the theme is Light.

Not sure whether it's worth having fixed categories like in my previous post (technical / creative) or if it's worth having a broad theme and letting different people interpret it with their Oath? e.g.'For the month of April I am oathing this Space Marine and because the theme is light I am doing OSL on it's eyes' or 'For April's theme of light I am adding blaster beams to these Star Wars ships pewpewpew' - then possibly having an 'approval board' checking whether the Oath fits the theme? Probably too much work though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

October is a good example. In honor of Halloween incorporate a classic monster trope into your model.

And spring could be more than just about green, but about new life. Maybe take old bits or models and reimagine them as something new.

I think varied themes are the most interesting so it's not all the same time and again. Colors, but different! I'd imagine gets old. And I think don't be afraid to really constrict down what a theme consist of. Constraints breed creativity.

So maybe for October it's not just any classic monster trope: It's incorporate classic mummy or werewolf tropes. It sounds really narrow, but it's surprisingly broad. It could be as simple as some hieroglyphs or a red cape or scratch marks or a silver bullet or a looming curse or canopic jars.

And one month could just be technical challenge(theme: workshop): pick a technique that you've always wanted to try or that you're not very good at. OSL, NMM, weathering, whatever.

Pash posted:

Since next year is leap year there should be an alternative for February where you paint something that's leaping.

Zark the Damned posted:

Maybe the themes could be tied into the narrative (if there is one) rather than being based on the seasons? e.g. our intrepid Ork has been wandering around the caves for a while and steps outside only to be blinded by all the light, so the theme is Light.

These are good ideas.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 25, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

(Halloween? is that done in Australia?)

Not to any great extent, but we know when it is. After it first came over with cartoons in the 80s/90s before going away, it's made a recent resurgence in adults as men have realised Halloween parties are a great way to get women to wear sexy costumes.

SRM posted:

For July: Patriotism! Display your national pride, or the pride of some fictional country. Would be a great month to paint up banner bearers or what have you.

I like this idea, accepts that most of the thread is American and therefore unable to grasp the concept of national days in other countries not on July 4, but lets the rest of us go with our own colours :v:

Reversing the season celebrating months for us southern hemisphere dwellers sounds like an idea as well

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm loving the talk so far, let's keep it going!

Limiting the themes to particular things in each month is good, allows for future expansion and not getting too stale very quick.

NTRabbit posted:

Not to any great extent, but we know when it is. After it first came over with cartoons in the 80s/90s before going away, it's made a recent resurgence in adults as men have realised Halloween parties are a great way to get women to wear sexy costumes.
Well this is the best thing about it anywhere outside of the US, too.

quote:

I like this idea, accepts that most of the thread is American and therefore unable to grasp the concept of national days in other countries not on July 4, but lets the rest of us go with our own colours :v:
I'm American but half the thread is not and doesn't care about July 4th, which is why I've suggested a summer theme, of which there are many (beach, sun, boating, etc)

quote:

Reversing the season celebrating months for us southern hemisphere dwellers sounds like an idea as well

Any suggestions then? :v:

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

krushgroove posted:

February photo album is here: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6130198205460913697?authkey=COWIz4yQ8LHgywE

Please check it to make sure your pictures are in there! You have until I get up on Friday morning, at that time I'll send the link to the Judges.

My picture doesn't appear to be in here.

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Oath complete!
The first squad I have finished since I was 15. :unsmith:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

I'm Claiming Themed Group for the 5 girls on kitties. The Bows on the desk by them are magatized and can swap with the shields and xbows on their backs. As shown in this picture:

Also Claiming the Jurnual for this damage to the shield:

Also claiming box art for Traitor Magnus here:

The picture did not turn out great, I can retake it if need be.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I like both the idea of posting the whole year's Journals ahead of time, and giving a choice of thematic vs. technical journals (or just switching over to thematic altogether, although for my own part I know that I've really enjoyed what a few of the more technical journals prompted me to do that I might not have otherwise tried out as a painter).

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Journals that I think would be cool are a retro themed month where you would choose to oath something out of print or an 'old school' theme like SRM does so well! I also really wish I would have known to oath when you were encouraged to paint from as many different miniature lines and ranges as possible.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, so I've re-ka-jiggered the challenges and added technical challenges and theme challenges for each month. I've used as many of your suggestions as I can fit in, where I can fit them where they make the most sense. There are some empty challenges, so I'm totally open to ideas for new stuff, changes, whatever. Have a look:

Challenges (formerly Journals or Logs)
Each month has a theme, and every theme will have its own technical challenge and theme challenge related to the main theme. It's your choice which challenge you want to do to earn Challenge Points, and you're welcome to do both for DOUBLE POINTS!
Aussies and anyone in the Southern Hemisphere can choose to use the alternate theme calendar if they wish. The calendar you choose won’t be tracked, but we’d like everyone to attempt each theme so please stick to one calendar.
May: School’s out! Let’s celebrate the big yellow school bus!
  • technical challenge: yellow can be a tough job to get right, so let’s do our best! Paint something yellow on your model - with shading and highlights. The yellow should be between 10-25% of the model, or more.
  • theme challenge: paint a school bus-themed model!
June: Summer’s here! Holiday theme time!
  • technical challenge: let’s so with the sun and beach for your holiday travels this year - paint water, mold water & paint it - just stick water on your model somewhere (bases included)
  • theme challenge: Travel-time! Anything involving travel to a holiday destination using a vehicle of some sort
July: Patriotism ahoy!
  • technical challenge: paint a flowing flag, either on your model or create a flag or banner for your models to rally around
  • theme challenge: paint your nation, state, region, or whatever flag, the best you can
August: Feeling hot! hot! hot! it’s the hottest time of the year!
  • technical challenge:
  • theme challenge:
September: New TV season time! Traditionally this is when new network TV series start, so hey let's roll with it!
  • technical challenge:
  • theme challenge: Paint up something to do with a TV show you like! It can be a homage, character portrait, replica of a character or vehicle
October: The month of horror movie releases and Halloween!
  • technical challenge: do your best glowing eyes on something! Or if it doesn’t fit a model you’re working on, add eyes in some way to your model (plane, tank, etc.)
  • theme challenge: put something spooOOOOooky on your model!
November: Harvest Time! Oranges and yellows are the theme! ORRR go with Day of the Dead as your theme
  • technical challenge: your choice! paint skulls OR paint orange and red leaves on your model
  • theme challenge: your choice! Day of the Dead (Google it) OR harvest time celebrations
December: Holly-Jolly Christmas-time, of course! (or Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Saturnalia or whatever) Red & Green, White or anything holiday-themed!
  • technical challenge:
  • theme challenge: something for the holidays, of course!
January: So C-C-Cold! it’s the middle of winter and my snot is frozen solid!
  • technical challenge: paint a mostly white model! similar to yellow and red, white can be difficult, so this is your challenge!
  • theme challenge:
February: It’s Leap Year!
  • technical challenge:
  • theme challenge: paint a model that is leaping, jumping or soaring!
March: Spring is springing! It’s all GREEEEENNNN!!!
  • technical challenge: spring is about new beginnings, so take those bitz and parts and make a model to paint! Yes, this is all about scratchbuilding and converting!
  • theme challenge: paint or model something on your model that represents new growth - it doesn’t have to be green, just representative of the theme of springtime
April: Moneymoney! Tax time!
  • technical challenge:
  • theme challenge:

Bad Decision Dino posted:

My picture doesn't appear to be in here.

I've added your pic, thanks!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 26, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So which months are swapped in the alternate calendar? March <-> November and August <-> January?

Suggesting the red paint challenge be the December technical challenge

Also sports for the August theme challenge, and some manner of painted or modeled and painted flames for the technical

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 26, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think it'd still be neat to have the charity challenge.

I'm not sure if having all the challenges be seasonal is the way to go, though understandable it there won't be a narrative next season.

I think some of the technical challenges could do with trying out new techniques, like the OSL, NMM and Weathering ones from this season.

Not sure if doing both challenges should be worth two points, I was more thinking along the lines of 'if you do either of these get a point'.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
August is a good month for bonfires, grilling and giant forest fires, so how about painting some fire/smoke/hot metal. That would also be a good time to throw in some OSL and such.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK some slight updates to the challenges list, I've added red to December and flames/OSL to August. Still a few empty spaces open to suggestion. How is this looking so far? Will you guys be happier planning models and projects ahead of time?

Challenges (formerly Journals or Logs)
Each month has a theme, and every theme will have its own technical challenge and theme challenge related to the main theme. It's your choice which challenge you want to do to earn Challenge Points, and you're welcome to do both for DOUBLE POINTS!
Aussies and anyone in the Southern Hemisphere can choose to use the alternate theme calendar if they wish. The calendar you choose won’t be tracked, but we’d like everyone to attempt each theme so please stick to one calendar.
May: School’s out! Let’s celebrate the big yellow school bus!
  • technical challenge: yellow can be a tough job to get right, so let’s do our best! Paint something yellow on your model - with shading and highlights. The yellow should be between 10-25% of the model, or more.
  • theme challenge: paint a school bus-themed model!
June: Summer’s here! Holiday theme time!
  • technical challenge: let’s so with the sun and beach for your holiday travels this year - paint water, mold water & paint it - just stick water on your model somewhere (bases included)
  • theme challenge: Travel-time! Anything involving travel to a holiday destination using a vehicle of some sort
July: Patriotism ahoy!
  • technical challenge: paint a flowing flag, either on your model or create a flag or banner for your models to rally around
  • theme challenge: paint your nation, state, region, or whatever flag, the best you can
August: Feeling hot! hot! hot! it’s the hottest time of the year!
  • technical challenge: OSL! Now it's time to PAINT a cool glow effect on your model! Fire, engine heat, glowing eyes, whatever you can think of
  • theme challenge: paint actual flames, smoke or something similar on your model
September: New TV season time! Traditionally this is when new network TV series start, so hey let's roll with it!
  • technical challenge:
  • theme challenge: Paint up something to do with a TV show you like! It can be a homage, character portrait, replica of a character or vehicle
October: The month of horror movie releases and Halloween!
  • technical challenge: paint a ghost/stealth
  • theme challenge: put something spooOOOOooky on your model!
November: Harvest Time! Oranges and yellows are the theme! ORRR go with Day of the Dead as your theme
  • technical challenge: your choice! paint orange and red leaves on your model OR paint some skulls (actual paint 2D skulls, not just painted skulls)
  • theme challenge: your choice! harvest time celebrations OR Day of the Dead (Google it)
December: Holly-Jolly Christmas-time, of course! (or Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Saturnalia or whatever) Red & Green, White or anything holiday-themed!
  • technical challenge: red is one of the hardest colors to get looking 'right', so paint a mostly red model, complete with shading, mid-tones and highlighting
  • theme challenge: something for the holidays, of course!
January: So C-C-Cold! it’s the middle of winter and my snot is frozen solid!
  • technical challenge: paint a mostly white model! similar to yellow and red, white can be difficult, so this is your challenge! You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
  • theme challenge: paint a model that is wrapped up against the cold or set in a winter wonderland of snow and/or ice!
February: It’s Leap Year!
  • technical challenge:
  • theme challenge: paint a model that is leaping, jumping or soaring!
March: Spring is springing! It’s all GREEEEENNNN!!!
  • technical challenge: spring is about new beginnings, so take those bitz and parts and make a model to paint! Yes, this is all about scratchbuilding and converting!
  • theme challenge: paint or model something on your model that represents new growth - it doesn’t have to be green necessarily, just representative of the theme of springtime
April: Moneymoney! Tax time!
  • technical challenge: Tax break! Choose an intermediate or advanced technique that you aren't familiar with and haven't tried before, and do your best to practice! (we're not going to track who's done what)
  • theme challenge: paint a model that is directly involved with money in some way - it could be a market seller, dealer or pipe organist...even better if they're actually holding cash or you can paint money on them!

NTRabbit posted:

So which months are swapped in the alternate calendar? March <-> November and August <-> January?
You tell me! :) In my first version I simply subtracted/added 6 to the various months to get a rough idea of the seasons

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

As Zark said, would it be possible to remove the idea of extra points for doing both challenges? It seems as though it's effectively doubling the amount of journal/challenge whatever that we have to do (in order to get full points). I felt like the spirit of the technical/theme split was to make it easier/friendlier to notch it every month, and this seems like it's moving in the exact opposite direction.

Maybe make it so that you can get points for at most one challenge a month, but encourage anyone who wants to do both for a personal goal and/or thread accolades?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'd be fine with that, I want to make the thread more inclusive and welcoming and reduce the amount of points counting, if possible.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'm still fairly new to the oath thread but here's my two cents or whatever it is in your upstart colonial currency:

* I really like the idea of knowing what the monthly jurnal/challenge thing will be in advance. I only recently started mini painting again and my hobby budget is limited, I don't (yet) have piles of random stuff on hand to cobble it all together on the fly so at least this way I can try to line stuff up and attempt the occasional challenge.

* I'm not sure what the point is of not allowing oaths in the final week of the month and as a participant it seems meh. My best guess is that it was intended to simplify admin and avoid a situation where an oath isn't accepted until the last minute/rejected after someone started painted because the organiser didn't check the thread for a few days. I would like to see it removed but do think first!

* I love this thread. :)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The problem was that people were waiting to oath until their models were already painted. The last day of the month was a lot of:

I'm oathing:

and Oath Complete!

Essentially they were shielding themselves from having incomplete oaths by making sure they don't oath more than they finish. I think this was in the Fix thread, or maybe the one before that?

I'll use this as my oath complete post, by the way. No journal, couldn't think of a way to do it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This may be way out there but I have an idea for february's technical challenge. I've been reading up on some color theory in an attempt to spice up my color schemes, so how about making people leap around in the color wheel?
Go to https://color.adobe.com, pick a triad or compound color scheme and paint a figure using all of those colors and only those colors (+ shades of them to make shadows and highlight).

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

The Jurnal is the scratches I cut into the griffon's beak. The griffon's colouring is loosely based on Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagles.

The mimic mockingbeast is my Boxart model, based on the paintjob from the Reaper website.

For Strike a Pose I took the pseudo-Avengers out for a heroic sunset photo op.

Hulk Behemoth was pleased to discover that the sun does shine out from under his purple skirt.

For In Battle I was going to take some photos of myself having a go at the new Malifaux 2.0 ruleset, but an ambulatory pumpkin decided that this would not do.

Despite the best efforts of the poor Flammenwurfer, the interloper remained undefeated.

This called for heroic action!

Unfortunately, the heroes were overcome by the soft fluffiness of their foe, and were last seen fast asleep, snuggled into piles of orange fur.

So that's Jurnal, Boxart, Strike a Pose, and In Battle!

edit: There was a casualty! Turns out, being sat on by fat cats is not good for high-heeled minis.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 27, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

• technical challenge:

Idea for the technical: Part of a new TV season is finding out where the story is going next, what's changing this season, etc. So take one of your earlier, rougher models and do an updated version of it, changing something (or many things) for the better! Either strip the original model (making sure you have a picture first) or paint an identical/similar model, like another of the same type of unit! Describe what you did differently to improve the model this time.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I really like that idea!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath complete:

Jurnal

apart from the scratched paint, two bullet holes in the front of the Killa Kan:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath Complete!

Jurnal is that smaaaashheed up slab of Mega City One he's rampaging through, but I also painted some dings and bullet scratches on the Sentinoid because it's unstoppable. (Mostly on the top right dome, but also on the crazy fists.)

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I like the inclusion of both technical and thematic journals. In the seasons that I've participated in, the journals where I've done weathering, or NMM have been the most educational, but the most fun I've had has been painting mustaches on tanks.

Some suggestions for the journals, some are way too specific. I'm not too fond of having to paint a specific color, there's a big chance that a specific color is not present in the schemes I've chosen for my armies, so I'd have to get a one-off model which would never see the gaming table and get some new paints. And I don't think I'm the only thread participant who owns a grand total of one shade of yellow paint. Also the school bus is way too specific. Oh, and maybe the TV show theme could just be the break the 4th wall journal? Alternatively, April and April's Fools should be 4th wall (with technical being NMM).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete!

The journal is the bloody wounds, missing eye and general not fun having of the wounded player markers.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Oath complete!

Lost my camera again, so lovely cell phone pics will have to do:

Journal is a lot of scratched and overly chipped paint on the middle bike.
Bikes are such an unfun slog, I'll be glad when I finish this command squad up and can never paint a bike again. I think I figured out how to paint white helmets in a way I like though, so the month wasn't a total disaster.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Journal: Not sure if this counts, but my dog ate one the the fire elemental's arms, so I tried to make it look like he was regrowing it with green stuff. Or I would have but my 10 year old green stuff is now finally unworkable, so I used vallejo plastic putty instead.

Also Fly your Flag cause god drat.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

These are seriously great.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Oath complete!

lovely lighting and lovely cell phone pic - something for me to work on in future.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:vomarine: March oath completed! :vomarine:

Claiming themed group.

The raising of the Banner at Iwaaagh Jima

Claiming INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL, BACKSTORY , and FLY YOUR FLAG for the chipped, worn, burnt and torn WAAAGH Banner!

The Battle of Iwaaagh Jima was a major battle in which the United Ork Armed Forces landed and eventually captured the island of Iwaaagh Jima from the Human Imperial Army during Worlds Waaagh II. The battle was immortalized by a photograph of the raising of the Waaagh Banner on top of Mount Snikgor by three Grot Marines.

edit: I already claimed backstory in a previous month, but I'm leaving the story up.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 31, 2015

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oath Complete!

Jurnal
On the wound in the cowboy puppet; he's bleeding stuffing!

Box Art

I Rolled a Six!
Treasure markers for Super Dungeon Explore

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

Marauder for this month's jurnal, his paint is showing some claw marks.

Constance Blaize

Gallant

Throne of Everblight

Blackfrost Shard

Tomble and Syndrael

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Giant Ethicist posted:

Oath complete!

lovely lighting and lovely cell phone pic - something for me to work on in future.

This is pretty similar to the colour scheme I almost went with for my PHR! I didn't have the contrast right though and ended up switching colours out and going a different direction. I like how yours turned out. :)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath complete!

Would this count as a themed group being all Gotham-like?

I'm also claiming Box Art for Solomon Grundy & Scarecrow:

If only this month had been the weathering jurnal rather than battle damage! Unless the rips in Grundy's suit count that is. ;)

I'm pretty happy with how this lot have turned out in the end. It has been a long, long time since I painted anything like these and I had to push myself with mixing colours much more rather than just using the paint straight from the bottle. There was a moment where Scarecrow was looking like this:

And Grundy was very close to:

Worked out well in the end though! :D

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 31, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Just had a look at the points spreadsheet and noticed that I haven't been given my parts list achievement for my December oath but that I have already been awarded box art which I hadn't claimed before.

Also as this is my fourth completed oath I should have claimed Apprentice already.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think all the Apprentice, Master etc. cheevos for number of Oaths complete are being done at the end. No-one has them yet.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Oh poo poo, there are 31 days in March. I guess I should take better pictures of my completed oath now that I've found my camera. I think the procedure for that is to quote the oath complete post and then put the new pictures in the new post. Is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!

Themed Group, with Journal

Themed Group and Conversions

Journal

Just really red.

Delightful model to paint.

Not looking forward to having to fight these guys...

• Locked thread