Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I see retro wave discussion in a lot of other threads so forgive me for finding it overplayed.

Here's what I had in mind. Timing isn't half bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I see retro wave discussion in a lot of other threads so forgive me for finding it overplayed.

This is pretty great.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jeez has no one here ever watched an anime before

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

This sounds like a Tie Fighter training montage. (montage!)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Vintersorg posted:

The music is terrible but everything else is pretty sweet. He was pretty much going for the Heavy Metal vibe but lacked legends to record music with. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__NN16uoXk

We need only one legend.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Freakazoid_ posted:

Holy poo poo, you win.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Challenge accepted. (Just mute the left side.)

Fantastic - Bravo!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My God, anything works, even 90s Lords of Acid.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=20&audio=9sNZJn8Q4dA&audio_start=37

Or modern Hardcore.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=20&audio=SN12zyGFWBg&audio_start=4

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The interesting thing about this fan video is precisely in how it doesn't resemble other fan videos.

For all the prequel-whining you see, Star Wars fan films tend to be loaded with shoddy greenscreen effects and laser swords aplenty - and also astonishingly bad writing and cinematography that make even the most sensible complaints about the prequels seem ridiculously overblown.

Things like Blackstar Warrior, that actually resemble the original trilogy in both form and content while also avoiding redundancy, are a rarity.

The trick with this Tie Fighter deal is that, as everyone had noted, the accompanying score is very important. The shoddy guitar music is exactly the kind of thing the rebels would listen to, and it's obviously not sufficient to just plop John Williams over top there. Music with an appropriately 'Imperial' aesthetic, matching the onscreen action, has to come from somewhere else.

Retro-nostalgiac 'synthwave' stuff gets close to the point, but it connotes a capitalist dystopia - the juxtaposition of cheap, affordable synthesizers with emerging apocalyptic threats.

Satirically 'fascist' music also misses the point: these aren't the nitwits from A New Hope, but Vader's team of dark-side competent dudes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Retro-nostalgiac 'synthwave' stuff gets close to the point, but it connotes a capitalist dystopia - the juxtaposition of cheap, affordable synthesizers with emerging apocalyptic threats.

I think you accidentally helped me figure out why I like the Giorgio Moroder restoration of Metropolis more than the 'more complete' cuts.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
While I like them all (my favorites being SMG, CelticPredator, duz, and Freakazoid_ omg), I can't hear any pew pew noises or the classic TIE Fighter wooooooaaaaaaa with doubler/dubber. :colbert:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's the obvious joke pairing, but whatever, I still think it's funny

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Surprised this hasn't been done yet.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=150&audio=53DQgbj2mIc&audio_start=0

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
An obvious choice, but I'm surprised how well it works and how many cues seem to line up really well:

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=18&audio=SEEOcqbeclg&audio_start=0

Another good track choice would be Return Of The Jedi's "Into The Trap", but it's not long enough for the video.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Have you tried syncing it up to Dark Side of the Force Moon yet? The lyrics totally match up and everything bruh.
:2bong:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
First thing that came into my mind: http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=58&audio=y0rxpQI0ZbY&audio_start=0

Not sure about the start time, though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Freakazoid_ posted:

OMFG this wins hands down.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It does really remind me of Macross Plus. I love Macross Plus.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This guy on reddit claims some things about the upcoming trailer, such as a release date, character details, and other things.

could be bullshit but this is too fun.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The rest of the details could very well be bullshit, but it's pretty much a given that there will be a new trailer on the 16th, because that's when they're having the big Episode VII panel at Star Wars Celebration. The timing also makes sense because Disney is probably going to want to put the trailer in front of The Avengers.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, we'll see if the thing on the 14th is true I suppose.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

The rest of the details could very well be bullshit, but it's pretty much a given that there will be a new trailer on the 16th, because that's when they're having the big Episode VII panel at Star Wars Celebration. The timing also makes sense because Disney is probably going to want to put the trailer in front of The Avengers.

Which I am apprehensively going to and hopefully documenting the speed dating event like an African safari, lest the thread forgot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

iSheep posted:

This guy on reddit claims some things about the upcoming trailer, such as a release date, character details, and other things.

could be bullshit but this is too fun.

Whatever happened to Supershadow? You'd think he'd be seeing a real renaissance these days.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Challenge accepted. (Just mute the left side.)

Ok that was legit awesome. Thanks. GOOD JOB.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Whatever happened to Supershadow? You'd think he'd be seeing a real renaissance these days.

Supershadow retired and sold his company to Disney back in 2012. It was in the news for weeks. Not sure how you missed it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

George Lucas is a really capable troll. I wouldn't be surprised if it was him sharpening his skills all those years posting about the epic Plo Koon/Darth Bane space battle to come in Episode VII.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
C'mon guys, this should be obvious. You've all dropped the ball here.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=PN_CP4SuoTU&video_start=100&audio=yK0P1Bk8Cx4&audio_start=0

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I think someone already posted that. Or it just really is that obvious and I assumed someone did :v:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I posted it first :colbert: but there should always be more Kenny Loggins.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So, Moff Mors, a lesbian Grand Moff from the new books is going to be character in Rogue One. Is it just me or does it feel like pretty blatant box ticking to have an homosexual be part of the Empire? It doesn't feel like anything the Empire would encourage.

She's the first ever official homosexual in the Star Wars universe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

So, Moff Mors, a lesbian Grand Moff from the new books is going to be character in Rogue One. Is it just me or does it feel like pretty blatant box ticking to have an homosexual be part of the Empire? It doesn't feel like anything the Empire would encourage.

You can usually tell by how they include lesbians before gay men.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Reading both A New Dawn and Tarkin, I've noticed the new rule for Star Wars seems to be "any new character, no matter the position or role in the story, can be male or female." This was true of the Clone Wars TV show as well, so maybe it's not all that new. But A New Dawn had the first female Stormtroopers I can remember ever seeing. Bounty Hunter, Jedi, Politician, Soldier, Governor, whatever. Male or female doesn't matter. Which I really like, and is light years ahead of the 2 female characters with lines in the entire OT.

So I wouldn't be too mad if they treated that roughly the same way with orientation, though it'll probably be far more rare. As such, I don't have any problem with a lesbian being in the Empire. Don't Ask Don't Tell being gone from our military, I see no problem with a lesbian rising up through the ranks of the Star Wars military. I mean, hell, even when the Empire was openly anti-alien, the Emperor still rewarded Thrawn, because he was too talented to let prejudices get in the way. I'll be curious to read about her.

Not saying that was your problem with it. Just giving my perspective I guess.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Moff Mors? I liked it when Star Wars had names like Sleazebaggano.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

thrawn527 posted:

Reading both A New Dawn and Tarkin, I've noticed the new rule for Star Wars seems to be "any new character, no matter the position or role in the story, can be male or female." This was true of the Clone Wars TV show as well, so maybe it's not all that new. But A New Dawn had the first female Stormtroopers I can remember ever seeing. Bounty Hunter, Jedi, Politician, Soldier, Governor, whatever. Male or female doesn't matter. Which I really like, and is light years ahead of the 2 female characters with lines in the entire OT.

So I wouldn't be too mad if they treated that roughly the same way with orientation, though it'll probably be far more rare. As such, I don't have any problem with a lesbian being in the Empire. Don't Ask Don't Tell being gone from our military, I see no problem with a lesbian rising up through the ranks of the Star Wars military. I mean, hell, even when the Empire was openly anti-alien, the Emperor still rewarded Thrawn, because he was too talented to let prejudices get in the way. I'll be curious to read about her.
I kept trying to think up more than 2 women with lines.

1. Leia
2. Mon Mothma
3. Hoth ground control who says "Stand by ion control"
...some of the ewoks chittering maybe?

For some reason, unlike LotR, I didn't really notice the lack of women in the OT until this very second. I guess that kinda shows how much Carrie Fisher carried in SW and ESB with her presence.

Regarding the Empire's position on minorities/etc., was the animus against non-humans (slavery, genocide, subjugation) primarily fostered by Palpatine himself? Or was it a general condition of all those evil British-accented humans? Were they native Coruscantians?

Reading the Revenge of the Sith book gave some insight into Palpatine's rise to becoming Space Hitler, but it doesn't help make clear why/how far the xenophobia expands. The retconned EU writing made it clear that Daala was unusual. Is this new female admiral a new Daala effectively? Did progressive values sweep the New Republic suddenly, which before never had shown females in combat roles?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Surlaw posted:

Moff Mars, played by Kristen Bell.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Surlaw posted:

Um, excuse me. Star Wars is a serious franchise, for adults. There's no place for silly on-the-nose names like Sleazebaggano, or Porkins, or Greedo, or Salacious Crumb, or Han Solo.

Pander posted:

I kept trying to think up more than 2 women with lines.

1. Leia
2. Mon Mothma
3. Hoth ground control who says "Stand by ion control"
...some of the ewoks chittering maybe?

There's Aunt Beru. But otherwise, yeah, it's no wonder Luke had to resort to lusting after his own sister. She's one of like five women in the entire galaxy.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 30, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Um, I think you mean Salacious B. Crumb. Some respect.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

Um, excuse me. Star Wars is a serious franchise, for adults. There's no place for silly on-the-nose names like Sleazebaggano, or Porkins, or Greedo, or Salacious Crumb, or Han Solo.

There's Aunt Beru. But otherwise, yeah, it's no wonder Luke had to resort to lusting after his own sister. She's one of like five women in the entire galaxy.

gently caress, I totally forgot about Beru. How did I do that? Okay, 3 women with lines.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot about Beru. How did I do that? Okay, 3 women with lines.

Do Aunt Beru's count if they were dubbed over by a different actress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure any character's sexuality is really something that need be made known in these space ship robot whiz-bang children's films.

That being said, more like Muff Mors right? Right?

• Locked thread