Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

set of motorcycle tires because my old ones were ready to explode on the freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Cause I went to minute lube and live in canada, so everything is expensive.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Helios Grime posted:

And I also ordered a bike since I now live in the city I also work in. So commuting by bike is actually possible.

Even in a city environment, what's the appeal of a single speed bike? I used to commute on a cycle and found a mountain bike with smooth tires took the abuse pretty well and having gears is nice if you find yourself traveling up a grade.

I just bought this back in the fall..

Its a Giant Roam 2 hybrid. I'll finally be getting a chance to ride it more since the weather is turning. I would have loved it back when I was commuting and couldn't imagine anything else being better suited to the task.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Even in a city environment, what's the appeal of a single speed bike? I used to commute on a cycle and found a mountain bike with smooth tires took the abuse pretty well and having gears is nice if you find yourself traveling up a grade.

Simplicity I think. Fixed gear bikes are also used by cyclists wanting to train harder (since you can't coast).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A single-speed is vastly superior for city riding unless you enjoy having a permanently sweaty gooch. Coasting is the best.

But really, fixies offer absolutely no benefits for commuting.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

colas posted:

Simplicity I think. Fixed gear bikes are also used by cyclists wanting to train harder (since you can't coast).

I'm not sure I understand. So a "fixie" is actually just two sprockets connected by a chain with no coasting? So there's no freewheeling and your pedals will spin with the wheel? Its not even like a kids bike with a coaster brake? That sounds like an incredible pain in the rear end to deal with.

I think of a commuter bike like it should make it as easy and comfortable as possible. I understand wanting something that takes more effort for training purposes though.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm not sure I understand. So a "fixie" is actually just two sprockets connected by a chain with no coasting? So there's no freewheeling and your pedals will spin with the wheel? Its not even like a kids bike with a coaster brake? That sounds like an incredible pain in the rear end to deal with.

I think of a commuter bike like it should make it as easy and comfortable as possible. I understand wanting something that takes more effort for training purposes though.

Yeah basically you are directly connected to the rear wheel. It's great for leg strength because in addition to normal brakes you can use your legs to slow down. Lots of people pull the brakes off and rely only on their legs. Those people are dumb unless it's on a closed track.

My commute bike is fixed so I get a nice workout in before work. I also strap it up with about 30 extra pounds Mondays and Thursdays for bonus fun. The best is going downhill and trying to stay at low speeds.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
For all the information you may need on fixed gear bikes, I would recommend the documentary Joseph Gordon Levitt starred in and narrated, Premium Rush

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A used copy for cheap so I can replay this because I had a lot of fun with it the first go round.

And this on Blu-Ray:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got some catfish for grillin some poboys, but I don't have a pic of that. Spent a good chunk at Costco but don't have a pic of that either.

Did get these tho, and I found a pic online.

Mental health pills.

Also, a churro!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Mental health pills.

Also, a churro!

Or as I would say a mental health sugar stick.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I understand the fixie thing now but it still don't really get it. I ride recreationally and its extremely hilly around here so I sort of pick a gear for whatever hill I have in front of me and pump up it. When there's a bit of downhill I gear down and pedal till no faster I can go then rinse and repeat. This is country road stuff so in don't think I'll ever want anything to do with a fixie. My Giant is perfect for what I need it for.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jerry Cotton posted:

How can an oil change be expensive?

By paying for organic synthetic oil.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Echeveria posted:

I bought an oil change for my civic. It was expensive, but I just needed to get it off my list.

You can get a jack, some jack stands and the tools to do an oil change for under $100. It takes less than an hour to do on most cars, costs about half of what a shop would charge and its immensely satisfying to do your own work on your car.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
After being satisfied with my camera phone for years, I've decided to go back to having a more traditional camera and ordered a sony cybershot rx100 II:

After using it a few times this summer I'm sure i'll go back to being annoyed at having to carry around an extra thing in my pockets and wish I hadn't spent the money.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Mar 26, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

You can get a jack, some jack stands and the tools to do an oil change for under $100. It takes less than an hour to do on most cars, costs about half of what a shop would charge and its immensely satisfying to do your own work on your car.
Doesn't the disposal fee for the old oil pretty much remove any cost benefit? I can get a change of 5W30 for $20 + tax at my local independent shop.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I understand the fixie thing now but it still don't really get it. I ride recreationally and its extremely hilly around here so I sort of pick a gear for whatever hill I have in front of me and pump up it. When there's a bit of downhill I gear down and pedal till no faster I can go then rinse and repeat. This is country road stuff so in don't think I'll ever want anything to do with a fixie. My Giant is perfect for what I need it for.

Personally I think it's also an aesthetic thing, it's nice to have a very simplistic bycicle. Honestly it's the main reason I picked a single speed this time around.
If i still lived in a bit more rural part or needed to ride on country roads from times to times I probably would have picked a cross bike or something alike.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Murphy Brownback posted:

After being satisfied with my camera phone for years, I've decided to go back to having a more traditional camera and ordered a sony cybershot rx100 II:

After using it a few times this summer I'm sure i'll go back to being annoyed at having to carry around an extra thing in my pockets and wish I hadn't spent the money.

If you are satisfied with your camera phone, you will be annoyed.

On the other hand the rx100 makes gorgeous pics so see it as an opportunity to start shooting as a hobby.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you are satisfied with your camera phone, you will be annoyed.

On the other hand the rx100 makes gorgeous pics so see it as an opportunity to start shooting as a hobby.

I guess satisfied wasn't entirely accurate - I mostly didn't care about how good the pictures I took of the dog I saw on the bus or whatever were, so a camera phone was acceptable enough. Now that I'm starting to take more pictures of things and getting annoyed at how many times I come home only to find out half my pictures are blurry because my phone sucks, I figured I should get a real one.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Murphy Brownback posted:

I guess satisfied wasn't entirely accurate - I mostly didn't care about how good the pictures I took of the dog I saw on the bus or whatever were, so a camera phone was acceptable enough. Now that I'm starting to take more pictures of things and getting annoyed at how many times I come home only to find out half my pictures are blurry because my phone sucks, I figured I should get a real one.

Also get a grip for it, I find it very useful and it doesn't alter the look of the camera. I think I picked the G3
http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-about.htm

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Mar 26, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Where do you put the oil?

(I put it in nature because that's where it came from :mmmhmm:)

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Autozone, and a bunch of the other chain stores take it back for free. I'm pretty sure they get paid for their waste oil so they have no problem taking it. Autozone in particular has specials on Mobil 1 and filters all the time. I swear by Mobil 1 in my car. Its worth the extra cash up front for an longer change intervel.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

RX100 is a great fun thing. Still too big for my pockets but I like having such a good camera in such a small size.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Helios Grime posted:

Personally I think it's also an aesthetic thing, it's nice to have a very simplistic bycicle. Honestly it's the main reason I picked a single speed this time around.
If i still lived in a bit more rural part or needed to ride on country roads from times to times I probably would have picked a cross bike or something alike.

I figured it was an aesthetic thing mostly since it attributed to hipsters a lot. I can also see how it could be a fun novelty to ride around on. I'm gonna stick with my 27 speeds and disc brakes for myself though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Yeah, I'll never go back to not doing my own oil. I'd recommend Rhino Ramps personally. You can get them on sale for like $40 and they're a lot faster to use. Once you have the tools oil changes are about $20 for traditional oil and $30 for synthetic.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Unless you have a VW in which case getting to the oil filter requires two elbows or a specialty tool.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

How can an oil change be expensive?

Blinker fluid is more expensive per ounce than printer ink... at least that's what the guy at the auto shop told me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Plus you usually have to replace the johnson rod after doing an oil change. They can get pricey.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Autozone, and a bunch of the other chain stores take it back for free. I'm pretty sure they get paid for their waste oil so they have no problem taking it.

This, or find a shop that uses a used oil heater. Generally they're more than happy to take it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Etrips posted:

By paying for organic synthetic oil.

Excuse me, my car takes only gluten-free organic synthetic oil.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Trabant posted:

Excuse me, my car takes only gluten-free organic synthetic oil.

Literally retarded.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My wife asked me to go to the store and get some toilet paper (along with a bunch of other stuff on The List) so I checked our supply on hand, we have five rolls left... gently caress it, riding to the store and filling the saddlebags with the other stuff, bought a big 48 pack of toilet paper on Amazon with free Prime shipping.

Livin' la vida lazy.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

88h88 posted:

Oh man I've been eyeing one of these up for a while. Really need to get my license... Let us know how it is!

Ordered it in November, took me like 4 months to get it here, KTM is a bit slow to ship them here in Italy apparently, and if you want to order one now, atleast here, you can get one in 2016, because they sell out so quickly.. I'll let you know how it is for sure!

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

This thread got me curious, and then all the reviews made me order a pair to try. I am anticipating these underwear more than anything else this year. (also they were only $15 yesterday)

and this because I'm paranoid about losing my collection of 1's and 0's.

sleppy has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Mar 26, 2015

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Another good reason for single speed / fixie is that there is so little that can go wrong. Maintenance is simple and replacing parts is cheap.

Content:

Got some ugly shoes

Wolverine Horace Wingtip Brogue

Quoc Pham Fixed (got the light brown) for riding to offsite meetings where I need to look nice.

Also got new batteries for my Sony Action Cam, because it sucks to run out of juice after only an hour and a half or so at 720p.

Here it is attached to my commute bike :v: (under the handlebars)

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

For all the information you may need on fixed gear bikes, I would recommend the documentary Joseph Gordon Levitt starred in and narrated, Premium Rush

It's super accurate. lol.

not as good as Fat Tire. Also got a laser pointer, I wanna see if my parent's lizard-hunting terriers will go after it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

colas posted:

It's super accurate. lol.

not as good as Fat Tire. Also got a laser pointer, I wanna see if my parent's lizard-hunting terriers will go after it.

I'd disagree, I find fat tire a pretty uninspired beer, but their seasonal offerings, especially during the summer, are fantastic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bought this to cook a corn beef in (and drink the other 5). It's surprisingly great.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It was better than expected yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

drat. There's no way I could justify buying these, but with the right outfit I'd wear the poo poo out of them.