Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Meanwhile, in Europe...

quote:

A ruling from the District Court of The Hague means that Dutch telecoms companies are no longer obliged to retain internet and phone traffic data for law-enforcement purposes.

A coalition of plaintiffs including the Dutch Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Dutch Association of Journalists, civil rights organisation Privacy First and the internet service provider BIT has successfully argued that the retention law was a disproportionate infringement upon the privacy of innocent Dutch citizens.

In his ruling (PDF, 12 pages, in Dutch), the judge declared his concern that insufficient safeguards existed to limit access to the retained data to occasions when access was strictly necessary to fight serious crime.

I don't suppose we have any of those fancy privacy protections on the books somewhere do we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Murodese posted:

I wrote a thing for Facebook:

Any chance you could make that into an easily sharable thing? My blog/Facebook/yellingatthesky would love to share it with proper credit.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What's a good VPN today? I haven't used one for ages, one that's good for games as well as web stuff.

Also why doesn't Getup or just any group really make a ad that summaries Murodese's post and run it 24/7 on every tv channel for a week and see what happens?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Because the average voter doesn't give a gently caress about anything but boats and money. We live in a surveillance state now. Get used to it. Also everyone should read this before they go running off to get a VPN or whatever:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/23/want_to_protect_yourself_in_a_snoops_paradise_you_probably_cant/

quote:

With every development in Australia's data retention debate, the question arises: “how can I stop the government getting its hands on my metadata?”

Routinely, often non-technical journalists give the glib answer to “use encryption”, rattle off their favourite list of technologies, and over-simplify things to the point of danger.

The depressing truth is that most people aren't equipped to do a good job of protecting either their metadata or their content, and it's irresponsible for anyone to say otherwise without covering all the risks.

The notion that all you need is encryption and anonymity technologies to get around law enforcement is dangerously simplistic.

However, since there's still a belief that even the non-technical user can take a “One Weird Trick” approach to getting around the Australian government's data retention regime, Vulture South would like to explain the risks at each stage.

Using Tor: Tor provides limited anonymity. The best-documented and best-tested attacks against Tor have one demanding requirement – that the attacker have access to the network infrastructure carrying the traffic.

De-anonymising Tor traffic works even better if you're able to see traffic at both ends – where it enters a network, and where it leaves the network.

While it's paranoid to think that any government would bother de-anonymising Tor on a mass scale, it's fair to say that if you, as an individual, end up being of interest to spooks, you can be identified – at least in theory.

Yes, there are ways to mitigate the risks – but the over-simplification of operational security into “use encryption, use Tor, you're protected” is what concerns me here.

Where does that leave me? Dangerously insecure, as you always have been; or perhaps, less secure than you might be.

While The Register is not a subscriber to “nothing to hide, nothing to fear” theory, the operational security concerns we've discussed here start with the assumption that you're already of interest to authorities. If you're not, then the data collected about you probably won't be used.

It's that word “probably” that underlines, in party, why Vulture South remains unhappy about the rushed passage of the legislation, the inadequate political debate surrounding it, and the woefully inadequate protections offered to the ordinary citizen.

In particular, the legislation's apparent exposure of stored data to civil litigation, even though the government has tried to say otherwise. The government has protected data gathered “for the purposes of the legislation” – which leaves lots of scope for lawyers to pick out a victim for a test case. ®

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
LEL

Why ABC's Vote Compass doesn't work for me

A labor member complaining about how ABC vote compass keeps telling him that he most agrees with the Greens. Am I a green? NO! IT'S THE QUIZ THAT IS WRONG.

a hack on my FB shared this (presumably he agrees with it), help me tell him why he's wrong plzthx.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
labor should stop stealing left wing votes from the greens

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Smegmatron posted:

Because the average voter doesn't give a gently caress about anything but boats and money. We live in a surveillance state now. Get used to it. Also everyone should read this before they go running off to get a VPN or whatever:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/23/want_to_protect_yourself_in_a_snoops_paradise_you_probably_cant/

The article's good, but misses a key point: for the purpose of evading the government's metadata retention laws, using a VPN to an international provider is the one weird trick. Of course, that's not going to work against targeted monitoring by law enforcement, but that's not what's happening here.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
it also doesn't matter what a local candidate thinks because labor has a strict policy of "toe the party line" and the party line is "be an irredeemably poo poo idiot"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I'm more concerned with preventing data being stolen by third party from the storage location than being monitored so I would prefer less of it being stored in the first place.

Also the average voter only cares about what you tell them to care about, hence keep telling them that metadata = bad then they will start caring.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

iajanus posted:

Any chance you could make that into an easily sharable thing? My blog/Facebook/yellingatthesky would love to share it with proper credit.

Yeah, gimme a few.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

Yeah, gimme a few.

If you remove the cursing, I will share it also.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Frogmanv2 posted:

If you remove the cursing, I will share it also.

I'll write a cleaned-up version with referencing.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What about spoofing your IP address?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Won't that just make your data packets end up at the wrong computer?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Linkable version at https://murodese.github.io/

I imagine there'd be a bunch of ways to echo HTTP requests and make traffic appear as if it's coming from inside a corporate network, flagging an investigation. Hide a 1x1 iframe to a terrorist website on some clickbait article and go to loving town.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Murodese posted:

The article's good, but misses a key point: for the purpose of evading the government's metadata retention laws, using a VPN to an international provider is the one weird trick. Of course, that's not going to work against targeted monitoring by law enforcement, but that's not what's happening here.

For the average user, a VPN is going to protect the data sent to/from one machine or one household if they configure it on a router. It isn't going to do anything about mobile data or mobile devices unless people are setting up VPNs on those devices too.

The main thrust of the article is that the average user isn't going to escape this, and even technical or capable users probably aren't going to go through what's required to disappear completely. Giving people the idea that they can click a button and make their metadata vanish is dangerous and leads to a really blasé attitude.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Shopworkers for Gay Marriage

Genuine loving SDA how to vote card for tomorrow.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Mithranderp posted:

LEL

A labor member complaining about how ABC vote compass keeps telling him that he most agrees with the Greens. Am I a green? NO! IT'S THE QUIZ THAT IS WRONG.

a hack on my FB shared this (presumably he agrees with it), help me tell him why he's wrong plzthx.

"Do you believe being part of a party that can form government matters?"
I'm not voting for the Greens because they can't form government so I'm not going to vote for the Greens.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mithranderp posted:

LEL

quote:

I agree completely and while there is at least one issue on which I disagree with the writer, Vote Compass also assigns me decisively to the Greens in multiple elections. Since I regard that party as the resting place for fruitcakes and always take care to place them last in my preferences I was pretty drat miffed, I can tell you

Commenter
Steve
March 26, 2015, 1:56PM

I always agree with this party so I preference them last :psyduck:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Some people are really poo poo at voting it turns out.

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

It isn't going to do anything about mobile data or mobile devices unless people are setting up VPNs on those devices too.

A VPN on a mobile would still allow the government to track your location, phone calls and texts. I guess you could use some kind of VOIP and just use instant messaging but they would still get location data.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ABCs vote compass suggests my views align with the greens but fails to take into account that I'm giant loving idiot baby.

Amoeba102 posted:

Some people are really poo poo at voting it turns out.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 26, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Someone should do a reverse vote compass where you answer with what policies you prefer, pick your voting intention and then get told why you're a loving idiot for voting for them.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Honestly, since Netflix is finally available (because I'm a lazy gently caress that didn't want to screw around with VPNs and poo poo beforehand) I haven't pirated poo poo and I've never really thrown myself into "digital hoarder" status so my music is all pretty much above board. That said, since Game of Thrones starts in like three weeks (conveniently enough) is there a guide to watching it legally now? Do Google Play have episodes up for purchase or some junk? Or am I better off getting a VPN and just going hog wild all around?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The only legit Australian broadcaster is Foxtel. You have to get their Foxtel go thing and the movie package. It's about $30/month right now, but that's a promo price down from $50/month

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The other option is the aforementioned VPN and getting hbo's streaming service

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can get poo poo from the library for free or for $1 on reserve so I don't usually bother pirating nowadays.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Someone should do a reverse vote compass where you answer with what policies you prefer, pick your voting intention and then get told why you're a loving idiot for voting for them.

this would be a great idea but people would still ignore it.

if digital voting ever takes off it should do this, and then submit your vote for the party based on the policies you chose.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If people cared about the policies of the party they vote for then we'd probably see at least some of them complaining that the major ones won't actually admit to having any.

Laserface posted:

if digital voting ever takes off it should do this, and then submit your vote for the party based on the policies you chose.

Or just vote for the policies you like instead of a party.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

open24hours posted:

If people cared about the policies of the party they vote for then we'd probably see at least some of them complaining that the major ones won't actually admit to having any.

do the swiss still do referendums?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah, and so does Uruguay.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Woah no need to get personal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

nobody does and no one ever will, so the system should change so that they are forced to.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well of course no one does when they don't have the option to.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
SMH endorses the LNP.

On one hand its :barf: but on the other, Labor is also loving poo poo.

Has a major paper ever decided to endorse a third party or just not give one to any party?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only story on the SMH yesterday regarding labor was how Mark Foley was upset about Zak leaving One Direction.

That alone is enough to make me never vote for the dickhead. Its loving election time, talk about how you're going to make the state better.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

The SMH endorsed Abbott as well. I think they did it for the juicy stories they knew they'd get from him.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

SMH endorses the LNP.

Used to be that they'd get accused of being virulently left wing by murdoch, lnp, et al. Instead of actually working to make stuff about facts, they caved because "left wing" has the same connotations as "rapist" in modern discourse.

Thanks for that, Murdoch.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Ragingsheep posted:

SMH endorses the LNP.

Has a major paper ever decided to endorse a third party or just not give one to any party?

If a major paper won't get some skin in the game for an election call then they should just loving shut up about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Ragingsheep posted:

SMH endorses the LNP.

Well, there was this big dramatic announcement, ending with the "Independant. Always." rebranding

quote:

It's time for a vote of greater independence
October 8, 2004

Thirteen million Australians will decide tomorrow who will have the privilege of governing in the name of all Australians, of divining the prudent course for this nation's future while deriving, as America's founding fathers so eloquently prescribed, "their just powers from the consent of the governed". Elections mark a nation's changing times. This election marks change for us, the Herald. There comes a time when a newspaper, having expressed its voting preference for more than 170 years, as has the Herald, must renew and reassess its claim on independence so that its pursuit of truth is not only free of partisanship and without fear or favour, but is seen to be so. From today, the Herald no longer will endorse a political party.

The Herald's first editorial, published on April 18, 1831, gave this undertaking: "Our editorial management shall be conducted upon principles of candour, honesty and honour. We have no wish to mislead; no interest to gratify by unsparing abuse or indiscriminate approbation." That pledge is honoured today.

This newspaper has endorsed one of the political parties in an editorial before each election, with few exceptions. We have done so without believing that we have undermined our deep-rooted principles of independence, or the two broad themes that have guided Herald advocacy over generations: market libertarianism and social liberalism. And it is true the Herald has endorsed Labor federally three times - in 1961, 1984 and 1987 - and once in a state election - in 2003. On some occasions at least, many Herald readers would have seen Labor as clearly superior. The newspaper did not endorse federal Labor in the first 60 years of Federation mainly because the party's economic policies were unsuitable. At other times endorsement was denied for reasons less admirable.

But when we have endorsed one side or the other, nothing has dented our subsequent determination to confront that party when we believed it erred by action or omission. We recognise, however, that expressing a preference for one party in an election will taint us in the eyes of some readers; that they will think that if we are partisan at election time, then we will be partisan at other times. Our contract with readers is too precious to run that risk.

Neither newspapers nor political parties have attitudes set in stone. Both evolve to meet changing aspirations, circumstances and tastes in the world they reflect. Labor, founded in part on a belief in the White Australia policy, modernised its economic policies in the 1980s. John Howard's Liberals are more diverse than were Robert Menzies'. Old trade protectionists from the first decades of Federation don't rate a mention in either party today. Likewise, the newspaper is unrecognisable alongside our foundation edition.

Our decision to no longer endorse one party or another at election time is not a judgement about any party offering itself for election in 2004. However, to build an even stronger, unequivocally independent voice, we need to strike out on a new course.

This is not an exercise in fence-sitting, a pastime that risks its own injuries. We do not adopt this course because of an inability to choose between the Howard or Latham offerings. Their consumer promises may look similar; their underlying patents are not. Some will mourn the passing of such a lengthy tradition; others will argue it is one which belonged to an era of newspaper barons courting patronage. We are realistic enough, too, to know the policy may not hold forever. A truly awful government of any colour, for example, would bring reappraisal.

Voters in this campaign have been bombarded with spending promises on a scale unseen in Australia. The unedifying auction for votes entrenches cynicism. The Coalition and Labor have prosecuted their claims to supremacy with, among other things, confusion, scaremongering and deceit, and timetables intended to compound the electoral effect of all three.

The Herald is not ignoring this spreading stain on the democratic fabric. We will continue to offer forthright opinion - without being merely opinionated - on issues that daily affect life in this city, this state, this nation and the world. Over recent weeks, the newspaper has intensified examination of the choices confronting voters, particularly in our Blueprint series. We have highlighted issues we regard as pertinent. Through reportage and commentary, we have tried to distil the campaign so that readers are better able to cut through the cacophony to its essence; so that offerings of rival political camps are more coherent in their reception than in their transmission.

We will continue rigorous scrutiny. When governments, federal and state, demonstrate increasing intolerance of fearless advice, and when public servants are pressed to tell government what government wants to hear, independent scrutiny is more vital than ever. By actively demonstrating our political independence, we will rejuvenate our mandate to scrutinise, criticise, encourage, censure, drat or endorse.

We do not rely on the argument that our readers are clever enough to determine their own voting preferences, although that is our firm belief. Our rationale is one of self-interest and, for this, we do not apologise. We rank as our most valued asset our reputation for integrity with readers. Independence from the political contest is vital to that. Only by being truly nonpartisan can we be seen to be genuinely unshackled in our determination to pursue truth and to root out wrongdoing.

We must not only be independent of fear or favour, of being captive to partisan politics, but, like justice, we must be seen to be so.

It didn't last, of course

• Locked thread