Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

fknlo posted:

Awesome. If true, you know it's not going to go in a positive way where people involved in aviation don't go to doctors for routine things because they're afraid of losing their jobs.

That or the general public wanting anyone who suffers from depression never being allowed near a cockpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Handsome Ralph posted:

That or the general public wanting anyone who suffers from depression never being allowed near a cockpit.

Interesting note, in America I would have a better chance of getting my pilot's license with my medication if I was depressed rather than having what I have (OCD)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
.....gently caress, guess no more bathroom breaks for pilots just in case the copilot is a loving psychopath.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

.....gently caress, guess no more bathroom breaks for pilots just in case the copilot is a loving psychopath.

If a FA was in there the door could have been opened. As EgyptAir 990 proves having two pilots at the controls doesn't prevent the FO from crashing the plane. JAL 350 proves it for a 3 man crew too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

If a FA was in there the door could have been opened. As EgyptAir 990 proves having two pilots at the controls doesn't prevent the FO from crashing the plane. JAL 350 proves it for a 3 man crew too.

I know, it was dark and sad sarcasm.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

AP said that the pilot accelerated while descending?

loving A.

Press gibberish, lost in translation. He set the autopilot to descend. You turn a knob to select the altitude you want to go to, another knob adjusts the desired vertical speed.

Example of what the controls look like:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Bondematt posted:

"Spohr is asked whether Germanwings or Lufthansa protocols provide for a second member of the flight crew to be in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves. He says that the company does not have such a protocol, that European regulations do not require it, and that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitors that have such a procedure."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...4b0a2e685c0d10a

Flying on US flights it seems like this is a key difference between european and american flights... or is it voluntary on US airlines that stick a stewardess and the beverage cart in the path when the pilot hits the can?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Bondematt posted:

"Spohr is asked whether Germanwings or Lufthansa protocols provide for a second member of the flight crew to be in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves. He says that the company does not have such a protocol, that European regulations do not require it, and that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitors that have such a procedure."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...4b0a2e685c0d10a

I bet they will now! :smith:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Well if there's any silver lining to all of this, at least it's not like Egypt Air where they Egyptians straight out refused to say the first officer intentionally crashed the plane.

The French and Germans are pretty much calling this for what it is instead of beating around the bush. Question is, what regulations/guidelines are going to be established because of this, and will they be practical about it?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well if there's any silver lining to all of this, at least it's not like Egypt Air where they Egyptians straight out refused to say the first officer intentionally crashed the plane.

The French and Germans are pretty much calling this for what it is instead of beating around the bush. Question is, what regulations/guidelines are going to be established because of this, and will they be practical about it?

Sad or frustrating part is this wasn't a problem before 9-11. Fabric shades don't really lock pilots out of the cockpit. Downside is easier entry by an unwanted individual.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Ola posted:

Press gibberish, lost in translation. He set the autopilot to descend. You turn a knob to select the altitude you want to go to, another knob adjusts the desired vertical speed.

Example of what the controls look like:

He couldn't descend AND speed up? Actually, it seems highly likely to me that he sped up during the descent.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well a FA or other crew member (i.e., jump seating pilot) should be in the cockpit so they can operate the door while the pilot flies the plane if there is an in flight emergency or something.

If an airline employee is dedicated to a murder-suicide theres not too many options to prevent it.

The Ferret King posted:

He couldn't descend AND speed up? Actually, it seems highly likely to me that he sped up during the descent.

I parse it as "he turned off speed/altitude hold and set V/S to -3500"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

dietcokefiend posted:

Sad or frustrating part is this wasn't a problem before 9-11. Fabric shades don't really lock pilots out of the cockpit. Downside is easier entry by an unwanted individual.

Well it's like someone said earlier, even if the pilot or a FA entered/is in the cockpit when the FO started descending the plane, it's still possible for the FO to crash the plane.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The Ferret King posted:

He could, but AFAIK no one other than the press has said that he sped up.

Also the radar track doesn't show it, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yep, press is going apeshit paparazzi-ing the whole street and publishing pictures

interviewing the neighbor - the pirate.

This is gonna be a frenzy.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Today is the day all of the media lost their innocence. This is extremely ugly right now. :negative:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

interviewing the neighbor - the pirate.

Pirates did 3/24.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bitcoin bastard posted:

Pirates did 3/24.

Crimson Skies Reboot confirmed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A deliberate cfit? gently caress that's evil.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Spaced God posted:

Interesting note, in America I would have a better chance of getting my pilot's license with my medication if I was depressed rather than having what I have (OCD)

I maybe shouldn't joke about this, but I'm just picturing someone pushing all the dials and levers to the same direction, regardless of function.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cycling the landing gear three times. Or the flaps.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Spaced God posted:

I thought depression, even if on anti depressants is an automatic suspension of your pilots license in the US?

I heard a discussion before that the policy was a serious concern because it gave a huge motivator for pilots to not get diagnosed, let alone treated for depression.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
This is so devastating. Murderousness on this level. It could have been worse, too. He could have easily crashed into a town.

mlmp08 posted:

I maybe shouldn't joke about this, but I'm just picturing someone pushing all the dials and levers to the same direction, regardless of function.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Thanks for a laugh I needed.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

slidebite posted:

I thought depression, even if on anti depressants is an automatic suspension of your pilots license in the US?

I heard a discussion before that the policy was a serious concern because it gave a huge motivator for pilots to not get diagnosed, let alone treated for depression.

That used to be the case and for most medications still is, but there are 4 allowed on a case by case basis.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Snagging the flap position indication needles on a 767 for not *precisely* lining up with each other or their position marker...
Rudder trim indication is one pixel off from center when showing 0 deg trim...
Oh God OCD pilots...
One of the bulbs in the following 20 indicator lights is slightly dimmer than the other bulb :cry:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bondematt posted:

That used to be the case and for most medications still is, but there are 4 allowed on a case by case basis.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/

Important to remember that this still disqualifies your for a minimum of 6 months (I think it takes 1 year to get through the special issuance process) while you establish your case for a special issuance on one of the 4 approved medications.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Linedance posted:

Snagging the flap position indication needles on a 767 for not *precisely* lining up with each other or their position marker...
Rudder trim indication is one pixel off from center when showing 0 deg trim...
Oh God OCD pilots...
One of the bulbs in the following 20 indicator lights is slightly dimmer than the other bulb :cry:

I loving love this thread.

And yeah, as Bondematt said SSRIs are okayed in most situations with depression. Not OCD though. AOPA is helping a bill through the Senate that would make class three medicals more lax, which would be loving great.

E: oh yeah and if you alter anything about the medication you are grounded for at least a year. And for issuances a standard FAA AME can't greenlight you so you have to go straight to DC for a hearing and all that.

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 26, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
OCD pilot would never not fly the airspeed right down to the knot.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

OCD pilot would never not fly the airspeed right down to the knot.

I could never go commercial because I'd have to go around if the approach wasn't just right

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

:(

Are there more air disasters than usual this year? Or is it just that air disasters are coming under the lens of more interconnected technology?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slide Hammer posted:

:(

Are there more air disasters than usual this year? Or is it just that air disasters are coming under the lens of more interconnected technology?

Seems a bit higher than usual. Granted, a few of these freak occurrences like the 777 shoot down and the cfit.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Seems a bit higher than usual. Granted, a few of these freak occurrences like the 777 shoot down and the cfit.

777 was last year

2014's 'YTD thru march' was 7 events, we're at 8 on 2015, no statistical anomoly really

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wolrah posted:

From the AP report:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_FRANCE_PLANE_CRASH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-03-26-08-44-52

Sounds like the passengers knew something was very wrong from the pilot trying to get back in, but didn't realize how it was going to end until the last seconds.

As morbid as this sounds thats going to tremendously increase the amount LH gets hit for. I seem recall it coming out of KAL007 litigation that the amount of time people are conscious and aware of the impending crash greatly (and we'll no poo poo duh) increase the amount of mental anguish for damage calculation purposes. I think it was KAL007 at least.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
In whose legal system?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koesj posted:

In whose legal system?

I want to say in the US. There were US passengers on this plane right?

Regardless I'll try and dig up the case law and post it.

Edit:
It's in the first section under pre crash suffering

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...f0G2YjXnF-sGTGg

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 26, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

gfanikf posted:

I want to say in the US. There were US passengers on this plane right?

Regardless I'll try and dig up the case law and post it.

Edit:
It's in the first section under pre crash suffering

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...f0G2YjXnF-sGTGg

Oh yeah sure, but those kinds of claims will be limited to the descendants of the three US nationals involved, right? These kinds of post-mortem legal conundrums always sound massively convoluted to me, but with immediate family members spread over three continents it can feel scarily close sometimes :(

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
"The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, my co-pilot wouldn't let me back in the cockpit."

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I guess it says something positive about the safety of commercial aviation that most of the high-profile accidents over the last year or so have been due to homicidal individuals either on the ground or in the cockpit. What a tragedy, those poor people. My girlfriend was on the verge of angry tears trying to comprehend how someone could do that to so many other people when I told her it was likely a pilot suicide cfit :smith:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koesj posted:

Oh yeah sure, but those kinds of claims will be limited to the descendants of the three US nationals involved, right? These kinds of post-mortem legal conundrums always sound massively convoluted to me, but with immediate family members spread over three continents it can feel scarily close sometimes :(

I don't know for sure. As you can see it can be a mix with different states just in the US. That said I would be surprised if it's limited to the US only, but I can really only speak specifically about the US. Foreign nationals wind up using US courts a lot more then many people think so who knows, it may be prominent issue later on. I can see why it appears convulutulted and also extremely morbid, but it does make sense.

I mean as horrible as they both are, the people in this situation and (going back to) KAL007 knew in horrific certainty that they were going to die as opposed to a crash that suddenly flew into a mountain or collided, where no one, not even the crew knew about until it occurred. Horrible, but watching people getting sucked out of plane, right before you do, is really horrible nightmare fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

I guess it says something positive about the safety of commercial aviation that most of the high-profile accidents over the last year or so have been due to homicidal individuals either on the ground or in the cockpit. What a tragedy, those poor people. My girlfriend was on the verge of angry tears trying to comprehend how someone could do that to so many other people when I told her it was likely a pilot suicide cfit :smith:

Given that everyone they're interviewing says he was happy and loved his job, it's entirely possible it wasn't 'suicide' per se but some kind of fugue state blackout.