Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone have a favorite rule system for the thirty years war? Thoughts on Pike and Shotte? How about favorite miniature lines for that era in the 28mm scale or smaller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Capitalizing all Nouns is historically accurate.

I know the Germans do it, but all throughout the Kickstarter the people-nouns were capitalized so I just assumed that was a Polish thing.

Though yeah, it would probably have been a Polish thing 400 years ago too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By "people nouns" do you mean pronouns? Because then it'd be weird alright. Unless you just mean proper nouns, in which case they did it right.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean any time a noun refers to a Person. Like You, the Reader right now. I don't think English has a term for it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That is a Polish thing, so 50/50 on period speech/bad translation. If it persists in non-historical chapters (rules etc.) it's probably the latter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

I mean any time a noun refers to a Person. Like You, the Reader right now. I don't think English has a term for it.
That's a pronoun.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

nesbit37 posted:

Anyone have a favorite rule system for the thirty years war? Thoughts on Pike and Shotte? How about favorite miniature lines for that era in the 28mm scale or smaller?

I'm no expert on the period as I'm only just getting into it (despite owning Pike ad Shotte since release). I getting my first game in of it this weekend so can report back. I however have played lots of Black Powder and Hail Caesar so I'm very familiar with the core mechanic which is why I've chosen to go for Pike and Shotte: it just makes it easier than learning a whole new rule set. I have read a few criticsms of Pike and Shotte from some quarters. Main criticsm seems to be that the rules treat a regiment of pike and its shot wings as separate units. Personally I don't see a major issue with this as the core mechanics such as supporting stands, command mechanics, hedgehog charge reactions etc ensure that in order for your pike and shot units to work effectively you need to keep them within 3 inches and effectively working as 1 anyway. Only downside I can see from this is in theory each unit could rout independently of the other but I'm unsure how ahistorical that is, not bring an expert. Like the rest of the Black Powder series the authors encourage you to tweak or house rule so I'm sure if it really worried you, you could make a fix.

Figure wise the most obvious is Warlord Games range for 28mm. They do loads of good value box sets and starter kits with rules bundles etc. Personally I favour smaller scale minis for large battles and 30YW is well catered for. 6 mm there's a decent range from Baccus minis, 10mm Pendraken and Magister Militum, 15mm too many to mention ( Essex, Peter Pig, Minifigs, Old Glory and Khurasan, especially if you are in the USA).

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Slitherines pc/ipad Pike and Shot uses the field of glory rennaissance ruleset, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Speaking of pikes and guns, does anyone have experience of the Italian wars? I might help paint up a small regiment or two at the club, and I'd love to find some good reference photos for infantrymen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

I have read a few criticsms of Pike and Shotte from some quarters. Main criticsm seems to be that the rules treat a regiment of pike and its shot wings as separate units. Personally I don't see a major issue with this as the core mechanics such as supporting stands, command mechanics, hedgehog charge reactions etc ensure that in order for your pike and shot units to work effectively you need to keep them within 3 inches and effectively working as 1 anyway. Only downside I can see from this is in theory each unit could rout independently of the other but I'm unsure how ahistorical that is, not bring an expert.
Based on what I've learned from the MilHist thread here, it's rear end-backwards. The shot units should be integrated into the pike squares and fall back into them for safety when enemy units approach. It's probably unfeasable to actually do it with toy mans though, since it'd basically require you to shuffle the entire unit around every time it moves.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Well Pike and Shotte does use these rules. Shot units can fall back as a charge reaction into the pike blocks (if they pass a command test ) It's called a hedgehog. It's a similar in game mechanic as for Napoleonics and forming square.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Slitherines pc/ipad Pike and Shot uses the field of glory rennaissance ruleset, and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Yeah that's another choice. I find FoG super rules heavy though, but that's just me and my taste.

I had no idea Slitherine had a uPad app of Pike and Shot. Going to have to check it out. I love their WW2 games on the iPad.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 25, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

Speaking of pikes and guns, does anyone have experience of the Italian wars? I might help paint up a small regiment or two at the club, and I'd love to find some good reference photos for infantrymen.

I think the April for WGI has a big article on 1500's infantry if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.paintinglandsknechts.blogspot.co.uk/

Are good blogs, the first guy brings up reference materials in many of his posts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

Well Pike and Shotte does use these rules. Shot units can fall back as a charge reaction into the pike blocks (if they pass a command test ) It's called a hedgehog. It's a similar in game mechanic as for Napoleonics and forming square.
By "fall back into" I mean "stop being beside the front rankers". It's one of those problems caused by real formations being far less closely packed than wargames allow for.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oh right I get you. Most Pike and shot era rules seem to separate out the pike and shot in very distinct formations even if the rules treat them as one unit or not. It's an abstraction I guess. I think Polemos 6mm rules have pike and shot based on 1 stand and treat them as one. Makes sense at that scale
Although saying that looking at these old pics of the battles of the ECW showing deployments I have in some Osprey books, the pike block is very distinct from its two flanking lines of shot. Dutch style I think it's called. Maybe for earlier styles or later ones, it might be different. Also ECW, especially at the start was mostly non pro soldiers led by enthusiastic amateurs.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 25, 2015

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Does 1/48 scale work for 28mm when it comes to vehicles? A local model shop has a super discounted used section and I wouldn't mind grabbing the 1/48 Thunderbolt kit they have there and turning it into a bit of terrain. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of it being ditched into a field or something.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

It's too big for 28mm in my opinion. Works fine for 40k figures though

moths
Aug 25, 2004

1/56 is a lot closer to 28mm, but 1/48 has a lot more options. For example, you're never going to find 1/56 Japanese WW2 era construction equipment - but there's a bulldozer teasing me every time I go into my local model shop.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

It's too big for 28mm in my opinion. Works fine for 40k figures though

I'm in the other camp, I use 1/48 exclusively for my warlord games germans. Plastic kits look so much better than resin and are more fun to make, and there are so few available in 28mm or 1/56 (though they are slowly increasing). IMHO the important thing is to not mix scales, such as two pz II with one in each scale.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Agreedo, either is fine so long as you stick with one.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
So I'm putting together a 2nd ID Rifle Company list from Devil's Charge, going for a LW Tournament list, 1900 points. Right now I've got the following:

Company HQ, 15
Rifle Platoon w/ Bazookas, 215
MG Platoon, 130
I&R Platoon, 85
Tank Platoon w/ 4 M4A3(76)s, 555
TD Platoon w/ 2 M36s, 265
Field Artillery Battery w/ 4 105s, 185.

I'm very new to the game, so I'm not sure if I've got too much overlappign stuff or if I've left out something critical. I know I don't have ant AA or Air Support, will I be laughed out of the game shop with this list?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Beardless posted:

I'm very new to the game, so I'm not sure if I've got too much overlappign stuff or if I've left out something critical. I know I don't have ant AA or Air Support, will I be laughed out of the game shop with this list?

One thing to keep in mind is that when running infantry, especially American infantry, is that you don't have to fight tanks with tanks. Drop artillery on them then drop smoke on them, wait for them to go for the assault and win there. TLDR: Infantry beats Tanks in the deployment phase.

To that end what I would do is downgrade the Shermans to 3 regular shermans and a jumbo (if this is an option) and drop the M36's in favor of towed guns and if you can a battery of at least 2 155 guns for combined bombardment purposes.

If its an open tournament (you will face other Allied lists) then some AA would be a good bet to bring you up to 9 platoons.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I put together some thoughts on the Bolt Action tournies at AdeptiCon. I had a ton of fun. Lots of sweet paint and boards. Also the first time I put my Slovak Rapid Division on the board :)

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2015/03/adepticon-after-action-review-bolt.html?m=1

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I would love to play boltaction. But no-one plays it around here. :negative:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

I would love to play boltaction. But no-one plays it around here. :negative:

I'm in an unusual spot in that I'm suddenly in a group that is historically skewed enough that we're looking at people wanting to play WW2, Italian Wars, Sengoku period Japan, and Napoleonics war this year. And we're enough people that we don't have to decide on just one period, but can get working on several at the same time.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
De-cluttering my flat. First lot of stuff is up, including some out of print historicals.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709463

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
So here's a quick update re: my foray into WW2-era wargaming via Bolt Action, over the past few weeks.

"OK, I'll grab a box of Wargames Factory Soviet Red Army dudes. It's pretty cheap and it'll allow me to decide whether I like this army or not."

"Oh hey, Plastic Soldier Company do 28mm Russians as well. I see they have some heavy weapons and anti-tank guns and such. I'll grab the anti-tank gun box, that's pretty cheap also."

"Oh man, I'm gonna need some heavy weapons for my Russians, too. Better get that PSC heavy weapons box this payday."

"Oh, a Warlord Games T-34/76 for pretty cheap as well? Heck, why not."

"Better grab these PSC infantry dudes, too. 57 of 'em in a box, after all. Just to bulk up my army a wee bit more..."

"...what's this? Black Tree Design has a sale for 25% off their metal Soviet infantry figures? And they sent me a $5 coupon off recently, too? Welp, better grab a 10-man squad and some LMG guys. You know, just to bulk the army up just that little bit more."

Help me :shepspends:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So here's a quick update re: my foray into WW2-era wargaming via Bolt Action, over the past few weeks.

"OK, I'll grab a box of Wargames Factory Soviet Red Army dudes. It's pretty cheap and it'll allow me to decide whether I like this army or not."

"Oh hey, Plastic Soldier Company do 28mm Russians as well. I see they have some heavy weapons and anti-tank guns and such. I'll grab the anti-tank gun box, that's pretty cheap also."

"Oh man, I'm gonna need some heavy weapons for my Russians, too. Better get that PSC heavy weapons box this payday."

"Oh, a Warlord Games T-34/76 for pretty cheap as well? Heck, why not."

"Better grab these PSC infantry dudes, too. 57 of 'em in a box, after all. Just to bulk up my army a wee bit more..."

"...what's this? Black Tree Design has a sale for 25% off their metal Soviet infantry figures? And they sent me a $5 coupon off recently, too? Welp, better grab a 10-man squad and some LMG guys. You know, just to bulk the army up just that little bit more."

Help me :shepspends:

The step from one platoon to a company is deceptively small with all the plastics available these days. I think our club bought and painted up roughly two Soviet companies, one German company and much of an Italian company over this autumn and winter, and that's not counting tank and support.

If we count unpainted there's at least two more companies in there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

lilljonas posted:

The step from one platoon to a company is deceptively small with all the plastics available these days. I think our club bought and painted up roughly two Soviet companies, one German company and much of an Italian company over this autumn and winter, and that's not counting tank and support.

If we count unpainted there's at least two more companies in there.

It's fun (and a little frightening :ohdear:), I haven't been this excited about a game since my WH40K days. I think there's probably a small part of me that's indulging my "always wanted a massive Imperial Guard army" side with the Soviet Red Army here. Except that it's not nearly as expensive. :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's fun (and a little frightening :ohdear:), I haven't been this excited about a game since my WH40K days. I think there's probably a small part of me that's indulging my "always wanted a massive Imperial Guard army" side with the Soviet Red Army here. Except that it's not nearly as expensive. :v:

The worst part is when you go "oh, I already have a company of infantry, so there's no way I'll ever ever need more, but these are Kriegsmarine infantry wearing u-boat caps! Come on!".

Needless to say, our Soviet players are currently busy painting up a crap-ton of cavalry now that they have a sea of infantrymen.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I did a bunch of things at Gary Con this past weekend but one I wanted to share with this thread was some photos of playing a game of Cavaliers and Roundheads on an old school sand table with the game's co-author Jeff Perren (who also wrote Chainmail). The organizer of the game just assembled the mini's for the scenario a couple days before the game so no time to paint them which was a shame, but still fun.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Those are some really cool figs on a really cool playing surface.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I posted over in thePainting thread, but no bites, so I might have more luck here: I've got a factory sealed box each of the FoW Soviet and Polish paint sets. If anyone wants them, I'll let them go for $25 for both plus shipping (I'm in the US.) I don't play FoW, so they're pretty much useless to me. Shoot me a PM.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I don't know what this hobby is any more

I am very aware of the date it was posted

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

No Pun Intended posted:

I don't know what this hobby is any more

I am very aware of the date it was posted

I would unironically watch that.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah I mean we're already reading a forum about it. Watching a show would actually be less dorky.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
For flames of war, is it possible to make a decent mid war armored panzergrenadier force incorporating panthers or panzer IVs? And if so, which book do I need to scrounge up?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DJ Dizzy posted:

For flames of war, is it possible to make a decent mid war armored panzergrenadier force incorporating panthers or panzer IVs? And if so, which book do I need to scrounge up?

Eastern Front is all the mid war German Armor lists, including minor axis powers armor.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Eastern Front is all the mid war German Armor lists, including minor axis powers armor.

Yeah, but North Africa is all about that DAK (and Italians). Though I don't think there are Panthers in North Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I am a dummy and meant to post this here, not the thread that expressly says no historicals.

No! Why? Why did they do it?

Zombies are so over, why would they do this? It's not like I can't find half a dozen other model companies to supply me with models for this already, and why would want fantasy crap like this in my historical game? (OK pseudo-historical, but the point stands.)

What's next, Cthulhu?

E: Yes they are White Walkers, but I still don't care.