Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Disconnect the serpentine belt from your engine for more power to the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay dudes thanks for clearing all that up :cool:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
A few times I've considered using a poo poo flip phone and just getting a 3G tablet.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

A few times I've considered using a poo poo flip phone and just getting a 3G tablet.

Why have two when you can have one enormous awful solution?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can't wait to see some fucker answering his 10 inch tablet like a phone.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Logikv9 posted:

Why have two when you can have one enormous awful solution?

When I first tried out Hulu Plus, I was amazed at just how many Korean shows (K-dramas?) were on there. I dove into some random one that didn't look too offensive, and every last character in the show, which is somewhere north of a dozen, had the same exact massive Samsung Galaxy Note 3 constantly attached to the side of their face.

As a handheld device, it's not too big. Maybe so for one-handed use, but that's a given. But the moment you put it up to your face to use as a phone...

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

enojy posted:

When I first tried out Hulu Plus, I was amazed at just how many Korean shows (K-dramas?) were on there. I dove into some random one that didn't look too offensive, and every last character in the show, which is somewhere north of a dozen, had the same exact massive Samsung Galaxy Note 3 constantly attached to the side of their face.

As a handheld device, it's not too big. Maybe so for one-handed use, but that's a given. But the moment you put it up to your face to use as a phone...

Yeah people putting giant phones up to their faces is clearly out of the ordinary and breaking with the traditions of the past 70 years.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443207550"]
Yeah people putting giant phones up to their faces is clearly out of the ordinary and breaking with the traditions of the past 70 years.

It's more the width of the phone that's unnatural than the length. It's like holding a giant pop-tart to your head. Holding a banana to your ear just makes sense.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Are you guys just weirded out by new technology or something?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lblitzer posted:

Are you guys just weirded out by new technology or something?

I'm the guy in the picture.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

It's more the width of the phone that's unnatural than the length. It's like holding a giant pop-tart to your head. Holding a banana to your ear just makes sense.

Have you tried a Blackberry instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp, I bit the bullet and got a 2013 Moto X. Although now I'm realizing it doesn't have expandable storage (16 gig). Oh well shouldn't be too big of a deal since literally the only thing I store on my phone are 8 gajillion photos of my 8 month old daughter.

Coming from Windows Phone it'll be nice to experience this thing they call "apps."

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got a 2013 Moto X. Although now I'm realizing it doesn't have expandable storage (16 gig). Oh well shouldn't be too big of a deal since literally the only thing I store on my phone are 8 gajillion photos of my 8 month old daughter.

Coming from Windows Phone it'll be nice to experience this thing they call "apps."

Run the Google+ app and setup Auto Backup. Now you've got unlimited cloud storage for pics and 15gb for whatever else.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BonoMan posted:

Also, OneDrive for Android is a thing if you've already got a backup thing going there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive&hl=en

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nimper posted:

Also, OneDrive for Android is a thing if you've already got a backup thing going there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive&hl=en

If he comes from WP he should already have 30gb with OneDrive just because of the free storage when you turn on camera backup.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I got plenty of onedrive space (40 gigs).

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Touchless Control/Moto Voice has stopped working on my Droid MAXX 4.4.4

Basically when I say the launch phrase from the lock screen, the Mic in the circle shows up, but when I say "whats up?" it doesn't register my voice.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled updates.

When I try to train it, it doesn't pick up my voice, and instead brings up the regular Google search box, with the message "Sorry, Can't reach Google Services Right Now".

Has this happened to anyone else?

I loved that feature, especially "What's Up?" -- Any ideas?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Touchless Control/Moto Voice has stopped working on my Droid MAXX 4.4.4

Basically when I say the launch phrase from the lock screen, the Mic in the circle shows up, but when I say "whats up?" it doesn't register my voice.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled updates.

When I try to train it, it doesn't pick up my voice, and instead brings up the regular Google search box, with the message "Sorry, Can't reach Google Services Right Now".

Has this happened to anyone else?

I loved that feature, especially "What's Up?" -- Any ideas?

I've got only 1 bar of 4g in my office but its still working for me. Droid MAXX stock as well.
Can you use the google now screen directly? Does speaker phone pick up?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

deong posted:

I've got only 1 bar of 4g in my office but its still working for me. Droid MAXX stock as well.
Can you use the google now screen directly? Does speaker phone pick up?

I've got 3 bars here, and do you mean the regular google voice search? (White screen with orange "g"in circle) -- Yeah that works fine. When I say "Whats up" to that, it shows "whats up" as a search query and brings up results related to that. Just not the touchless control app "OK Google Now" vs "OK Google"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nexus 5 and 6 just got some brandy new 5.1 images.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/09/android-5-1-factory-images-available-for-nexus-devices/

LMY47I

Maybe this rolls in the new memory leak fix.

Stiiiiil waiting on ANY 5.1 image for the N9.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Cool.
Downloading now and will flash when I get home.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I guess I can put this here. There are two people in the US (and probably the world) with my name. The other one is an even bigger dumbass than I am. He uses my email address (firstnamelastname@gmail.com) to sign up for official stuff so on occasion I get his school poo poo or whatever idiot thing he's doing at the time. In the past I received some semi-important looking stuff that happened to have his phone number in it so I called him and got his real email address to forward it to.

He was an ungrateful moron and it's still happening every so often so I just delete the email when it happens. The other day he sent me an event invitation from his work/internship/professional dipshit account and it shows up on my calendar and I don't know how to get rid of it. I want to get rid of it. How do I get rid of it.

e: Of course immediately after making this post I figure out how to do it, but on the web interface. Perhaps I'm the dumber of the two. Is there a way to do it on my phone?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I looked at all the threads here, none seemed to be the right one, so I will try here first.

I have a Moto X. I want to get a bluetooth speaker that I can use for conference calls. Do they make these good enough to sound pretty clear? I doubt it will ever be more than 3 people. I read a couple of articles but I figure asking you guys is better than amazon reviews. I would not have gotten the Moto X without this place and it is pretty awesome.

A massive bonus would be if I could use it somehow with a Magicjack or some other landline type setup (currently I do not have), but I have no idea how that would work. Using it with my computer (skype/google hangouts) would be nice also.

thanks

edit

I'd like to keep under 100 bucks, but I can go to 150 before I have to stress the price too much

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 26, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

butt dickus posted:

I guess I can put this here. There are two people in the US (and probably the world) with my name. The other one is an even bigger dumbass than I am. He uses my email address (firstnamelastname@gmail.com) to sign up for official stuff so on occasion I get his school poo poo or whatever idiot thing he's doing at the time. In the past I received some semi-important looking stuff that happened to have his phone number in it so I called him and got his real email address to forward it to.

He was an ungrateful moron and it's still happening every so often so I just delete the email when it happens. The other day he sent me an event invitation from his work/internship/professional dipshit account and it shows up on my calendar and I don't know how to get rid of it. I want to get rid of it. How do I get rid of it.

e: Of course immediately after making this post I figure out how to do it, but on the web interface. Perhaps I'm the dumber of the two. Is there a way to do it on my phone?

Not that I've found. I got added to some all day 3 year span event from G+ like that and even after declining via G+ I had to remove it from my calendar via the web to unfuck the calendar on my phone.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Ribsauce posted:

I looked at all the threads here, none seemed to be the right one, so I will try here first.

I have a Moto X. I want to get a bluetooth speaker that I can use for conference calls. Do they make these good enough to sound pretty clear? I doubt it will ever be more than 3 people. I read a couple of articles but I figure asking you guys is better than amazon reviews. I would not have gotten the Moto X without this place and it is pretty awesome.

A massive bonus would be if I could use it somehow with a Magicjack or some other landline type setup (currently I do not have), but I have no idea how that would work. Using it with my computer (skype/google hangouts) would be nice also.

thanks

edit

I'd like to keep under 100 bucks, but I can go to 150 before I have to stress the price too much

If you just want a speaker, under a 100 bucks is easy (here's a review article for portable speakers). I think if you want a conference call speaker/microphone combo you're wandering into Corporate Land and may start paying a lot more. There are bluetooth speaker set-ups as well; you may get better responses in the A/V thread for that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

I have a similar story except it's my initials - I signed up for the outlook.com email when they re-launched it and surprisingly got my initials, three letters, @outlook.com. Some dumpy old CNA from like Nevada or something signed up for match.com using that email, someone from Thailand linked their drat Facebook to it, I get poo poo from monster.com (is this 1998? I thought they went under) for someone else, so on and so forth. Initials aren't as specific as full names but do these people not realize when they aren't getting the emails from the poo poo they signed up for? I managed to get the CNA's dating site account closed, but I don't even know where to start with some of the others. Thankfully I don't even use outlook since it didn't live up to the hype but god drat it's depressing to know people out there are that drat oblivious.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

butt dickus posted:

The other day he sent me an event invitation from his work/internship/professional dipshit account and it shows up on my calendar and I don't know how to get rid of it. I want to get rid of it. How do I get rid of it.

Sharing and linking Calendar stuff is something I've never been able to accomplish on my phone. I tell people how awesome Google Calendar is and how easy and simple... then end up on their computer for five minutes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I have a similar story except it's my initials - I signed up for the outlook.com email when they re-launched it and surprisingly got my initials, three letters, @outlook.com. Some dumpy old CNA from like Nevada or something signed up for match.com using that email, someone from Thailand linked their drat Facebook to it, I get poo poo from monster.com (is this 1998? I thought they went under) for someone else, so on and so forth. Initials aren't as specific as full names but do these people not realize when they aren't getting the emails from the poo poo they signed up for? I managed to get the CNA's dating site account closed, but I don't even know where to start with some of the others. Thankfully I don't even use outlook since it didn't live up to the hype but god drat it's depressing to know people out there are that drat oblivious.

I received realty closing paperwork that had to be signed and returned on a very narrow deadline for someone with the same last name as me once. I've also received apple store receipts and numerous other things all for people with my same last name. It's sad.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Sharing and linking Calendar stuff is something I've never been able to accomplish on my phone. I tell people how awesome Google Calendar is and how easy and simple... then end up on their computer for five minutes.
If anyone cares, I figured it out. Tap the event, tap the pencil in the blue circle and there will be a delete button at the bottom. It really is easy, but I always overlook the new material buttons. It always takes me a bit in Gmail to remember that the compose button is now a pencil in a red circle on the lower right.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

butt dickus posted:

I guess I can put this here.

He was an ungrateful moron and it's still happening every so often so I just delete the email when it happens.

Yeah this is totally off topic, but I found a new iPhone on the ground while working once, and actually drove to the owners house (a few streets over) to return it. So this dude answer the door, I explained I found the phone with this address listed, and he proceeded to question me about how I got his address. :downs:

I should have told him I could have found much more sensitive info and kept the phone, but instead I just walked away. Not even sure if I got a thanks. loving people these days.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Ugh, looks like LMY47I broke Smart Lock location on my Nexus 6. It's been broken for a few days, maybe a week on my 7, but working just fine on my 6. Flashed to LMY47I and now it re-locks every time I turn the screen off again. That's my favorite 5.x feature too.

[Edit] Added a nearby location it picked as me and that worked. That doesn't work on my 7 but I don't really care as much there as I don't have a complex password lock.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 26, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

If anyone cares, I figured it out. Tap the event, tap the pencil in the blue circle and there will be a delete button at the bottom. It really is easy, but I always overlook the new material buttons. It always takes me a bit in Gmail to remember that the compose button is now a pencil in a red circle on the lower right.
I'll admit to missing FABs too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What is FAB an abbreviation for? Fast Action Button? Fat rear end Button?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

What is FAB an abbreviation for? Fast Action Button? Fat rear end Button?
Floating Action Button.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Floating Action Button.

Eh close enough.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend of mine wants to skip lollipop on his AT&T Note 4, anyone know how he can aside from just ignoring the notification? :v:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend of mine wants to skip lollipop on his AT&T Note 4, anyone know how he can aside from just ignoring the notification? :v:

Steal his phone and accept the update anyway!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh gently caress, the Lollipop update finally came out? Updating that poo poo now :f5:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wow, I assumed my note 4 would never get lollipop. I wonder how long it will take USC to approve the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

butt dickus posted:

Man, gently caress this guy. You should start infiltrating this idiot's life. He tries to take your email? You turn up at his work event, kiss his girl and call his boss a fat gently caress