Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm gonna be nice and not pre-judge a modern Dan Jurgens comic cause I want Bat-Mite to be okay. The great recent Multiversity Guidebook has a section on a Kamandi featured Kirby Earth. Batman's in it too. Tiny android Chibi Batman.
e: Two Batmans, actually. The other's a spaceman cowboy Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cuchulain posted:

I dropped pretty much every DC book like a rock several years ago and those Superman: Domestic Violence edition teaser images had me deciding to steer clear of DC for this dumb reboot too but uh

Is that a loving Batman Beyond x KAMANDI: THE LAST BOY ON EARTH book? Because I'm vigorously mashing fistfuls of dollars into my keyboard.

Going by this interview, it seems Kamandi will only be shown as one possible future for the DCU.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
All I know is I'm buying the trade of it once it's collected. I loving love Kamandi. He was the inspiration for the greatest CoH character I ever played, his comics were some of the first ones my dad gave to me as a kid, I mean look at this thing

it's the apex of comics.

This map is actually in that teaser page. I'm actually going to buy a comic book as it comes out for the first time since high school.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 23, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm gonna be nice and not pre-judge a modern Dan Jurgens comic cause I want Bat-Mite to be okay. The great recent Multiversity Guidebook has a section on a Kamandi featured Kirby Earth. Batman's in it too. Tiny android Chibi Batman.
e: Two Batmans, actually. The other's a spaceman cowboy Batman.

I have never ever liked Dan Jurgens and he basically single-handedly kept me from reading Superman for years.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Cuchulain posted:

I dropped pretty much every DC book like a rock several years ago and those Superman: Domestic Violence edition teaser images had me deciding to steer clear of DC for this dumb reboot too but uh

Yo for real, anyone making this decision based on the fact that Superman looks grumpy and buzzed his hair, please loving reconsider. Greg Pak is writing what is probably the best Superman run since Up, Up, and Away and has been writing Clark with a huge heart and unshakable humanity. Not only that but Gene Luen-Yang is a man known for a string of critically acclaimed and sensitive takes on cultural identity and racial stereotypes. Neither of them are going to write Superman as some fratboy douche who goes around beating up gays outside of bars.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Cuchulain posted:

Is that a loving Batman Beyond x KAMANDI: THE LAST BOY ON EARTH book? Because I'm vigorously mashing fistfuls of dollars into my keyboard.
I wouldn't be too optimistic, because there's a good chance that the Batman Beyond of the book is going to be Tim Drake instead of Terry McGinnis. Someone at the offices had the brilliant idea of introducing a fan favorite character into mainstream continuity for the first time ever...and then killing him off and having a different character take on his name.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lotus circle posted:

I wouldn't be too optimistic, because there's a good chance that the Batman Beyond of the book is going to be Tim Drake instead of Terry McGinnis. Someone at the offices had the brilliant idea of introducing a fan favorite character into mainstream continuity for the first time ever...and then killing him off and having a different character take on his name.

This is a joke right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is a joke right?

So far it's sound like it might be true.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Tim Drake would be awesome as Batman Beyond if they didn't already introduce Terry. Because Terry is the best Batcharacter, period, and replacing him like that just sucks so much.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, Future's End whole point was to retcon Terry's future so is still possible that he's resurrected after Convergence.

I don't understand how the gently caress was he killed though, one panel he's fine and the next Jokerborg is claiming victory.

:psyduck:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't understand how the gently caress was he killed though, one panel he's fine and the next Jokerborg is claiming victory.

:psyduck:

Jokerborg was one of the most ridiculous things in that series and that's the same book that had robo spider legs Superman and Black Canary's head stitched into Frankenstein's chest in like, the first issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Road to Convergence sale
https://www.comixology.com/Road-to-Convergence-Sale/page/5884?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Futures End, Earth 2: World's End, CoIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis (no Superman Beyond, of course) and Flashpoint.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 24, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Futures End, Earth 2: World's End, CoIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis (no Superman Beyond, of course) and Flashpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7PmoHpNhA

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

*enters thread scratching arms, twitching*

Look man, I know Futures End was no good for me, but uh, what about World's End? I need a hit, man, don't take this from me...

For what it's worth, to anyone like me who couldn't sort out Final Crisis to save their lives back when it was released, Multiversity has done a great job of tuning me to Morrison's combination of silver age concepts colliding in a postmodern narrative, and FC reads much more clearly to me today (years of mainlining superhero comics helped, as well).

Zero Hour is the only older event in the sale I haven't read, how is it? And please, I trust the Daily Planet way more than that Bugle rag. It's like they're reporting news from a completely different city! (Give me Perry White hating on DC's weeklies. That will break the cycle. Yeah, man... just one more hit...)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Look man, I know Futures End was no good for me, but uh, what about World's End? I need a hit, man, don't take this from me...

Have you been reading Earth 2 to the point where it started? It's pretty much more E2 in the Tom Taylor apocalyptic variety.
On the whole I've liked it better than FE. It doesn't have the highs of the Frankenstein/Amethyst/Atom sections, but there's nothing as awful as the Grifter/Fifty Sue stuff.
I really like some of the characters like their pacifist Superman, techno god Jimmy Olsen and Bat-dad. They seem to be the main characters of Convergence, so if you're going in for that main series you might as well. It's cheap! (Unless you also gotta go buy a bunch of Earth 2 monthly to get there.)

e: The E2 monthly's mostly turned into pretty crap filler during the weekly, so you don't have to worry about those.

I tried when I was getting into DC, catching up on Criseses, and remember it being incomprehensible as a stand-alone story. Seemed to exist only to shift status quo and continuity of the time (e: Much like any Crisis, I guess, but I sure got the least enjoyment out of it.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 24, 2015

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Convergence prediction: Watchmen is totally going to be involved somehow and it's going to be the worst thing ever.

e: I stopped reading World's End after about issue 8 or so. I don't really agree that it continues in the vein of Tom Taylor, because he used his abilities of "pacing" and "good dialogue" to make the whole thing not-bad. Without him...well, it's something of a slog. I think I gave up after the third or fourth "Earth-2 Superman is back!" fakeout, which for me just kind of highlighted how stale the whole thing had become.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 24, 2015

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Road to Convergence sale
https://www.comixology.com/Road-to-Convergence-Sale/page/5884?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Don't know how I never realized there were 52 tie-ins to Flashpoint...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, I've been slowly reading my way through the New 52 since I got access to essentially unlimited comics via a friends shop (and the internet when that fails me), and with at least a years worth still ahead of me I stumbled across the news of them killing it off just now. As someone new to the beginnings and ends of comic series', does this mean they're retconning it all again or are the new/continuing series taking place in the same universes as the New 52?

Are they going to be all under this Convergence/Divergence "brand" like all of the New 52 had that plastered on the top of every comic? I ask because I find it hard to keep track of what's come out and so forth. That said, if anyone knows of a site that lists comics as they're enwly released I'd greatly appreciate it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Verranicus posted:

So, I've been slowly reading my way through the New 52 since I got access to essentially unlimited comics via a friends shop (and the internet when that fails me), and with at least a years worth still ahead of me I stumbled across the news of them killing it off just now. As someone new to the beginnings and ends of comic series', does this mean they're retconning it all again or are the new/continuing series taking place in the same universes as the New 52?

Are they going to be all under this Convergence/Divergence "brand" like all of the New 52 had that plastered on the top of every comic? I ask because I find it hard to keep track of what's come out and so forth. That said, if anyone knows of a site that lists comics as they're enwly released I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's the same New 52 continuity (Maybe with exceptions. I'm not sure there'll be a teen girl president in any other book than 'Prez') but it's half the line being cancelled at once and replaced with new books and big status quo shifts for much the returning stuff.

Basically, they wanna do what Batgirl did in #35 across the line and freshen the place up.

The New 52 brand is gone. 'Convergence' will be plastered on books related to the two-month Convergence event. 'Divergence' will be the title of the preview comic they're putting out for free comic book day. No idea if that'll be badge going forward like "the New 52!" was.

For following releases, companies will release 'solicits' every month giving descriptions, cedits and cover art for comics about four months ahead of time. They get put out across various comic news sites, but are usually collected here, in the general Marvel thread, etc.

The major North American comic distributor, Diamond has a list of everything they put out for the week http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/952
That gets reposted at the start of the week in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&pagenumber=1 with people listing what they're buying.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 25, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's the same New 52 continuity (Maybe with exceptions. I'm not sure there'll be a teen girl president in any other book than 'Prez') but it's half the line being cancelled at once and replace with new books and big status quo shifts for much the returning stuff.

Basically, they wanna do what Batgirl did in #35 across the line and freshen the place up.

The New 52 brand is gone. 'Convergence' will be plastered on books related to the two-month Convergence event. 'Divergence' will be the title of the preview comic they're putting out for free comic book day. No idea if that'll be badge going forward like "the New 52!" was.

For following releases, companies will release 'solicits' every month giving descriptions, cedits and cover art for comics about four months ahead of time. They get put out across various comic news sites, but are usually collected here, in the general Marvel thread, etc.

The major North American comic distributor, Diamond has a list of everything they put out for the week http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/952
That gets reposted at the start of the week in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&pagenumber=1 with people listing what they're buying.

Thanks for this. That previewsworld site, every comic listed on that page is being released tomorrow? And they do it on a week by week basis? So I won't have to worry about scattered releases throughout a week?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Thanks for this. That previewsworld site, every comic listed on that page is being released tomorrow? And they do it on a week by week basis? So I won't have to worry about scattered releases throughout a week?

Yup.
Digitally, on https://www.comixology.com DC releases about 6 hours earlier than everyone else, though.
No idea why.

e:

Aphrodite posted:

DC also has a few digital comics that release throughout the week.

Oh yeah. https://www.comixology.com/DC-Comics-Digital-Firsts/list/429 This stuff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 25, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC also has a few digital comics that release throughout the week.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I gave in to the call of Zero Hour, which is a huge reset button of an event with the minimum amount of character/motivation needed to keep a story propped up. At least it had Waverider and the Linear Men, a set of characters I met as a kid via World Without A Superman and always wanted to see again but secretly didn't in case their main series/appearances sucked.

Anyway, a few interesting pages caught my eye, specifically as cues for what would happen in comics to follow, like Starman, Futures End/Convergence, and multiversal concepts in general...

DC needs more rainbows in its cosmic events, colored rings notwithstanding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The cascading versions of characters and events they're using in their ads was also used in Infinite Crisis.

Knowing what's on the horizon, I don't think I've ever been this excited for a stupid mega event.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Zero Hour was kind of a crisis crisis that brought a bunch of dangling threads together, like Monarch being not-monarch due to time trickery! It was one of my few TPBs as a kid and I mostly liked it thanks to Waverider and watching time fall apart and also evil Green Lantern.

0 Hour was such a limp, wet thpppppbbbppht that the most exciting thing about it was the last 10 pages (where Hal demakes the universe and gets shot by Ollie and then everyone relives the universe' birth) and the 'altered' timeline at the end with a bunch a DC errata. Well, that and the JSA getting punked like the old farts that they are. Heart attacks for everyone!

Things that happen during it that mean something maybe I guess? LEGIONAIRRES become REBELS! Power Girl is power pregnant (and gives power birth). Batman ripped apart by TimeGoatse , gets to chill with Joe Chill. The Flash from the future dies running straight into a time anomaly. Hawkman supermerges into POSSIBLY A GOD (no relevance to the ZH plot at all). Guy Gardner gets red Bloodlines armor and a gun grows out of his arm and now he's Guy Gardner WARRIOR because he's actually a half Vuldarian supersoldier. Some teen (Blaster or Boomer or MAX DAMAGE is hyped to hypesville, turns out to be a plot macguffin then no one cares about him ever again).

Stuff that actually mattered:
Half Jordan, as Parallax, dies while trying to reboot the multiverse.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

This is the definition of "judging a book by its cover". Superman books have been fantastic lately.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
How long is Sensation Comics/WW supposed to go on for?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is nothing wrong with judging a book by its cover.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

redbackground posted:

How long is Sensation Comics/WW supposed to go on for?
As long as DC chooses to keep it on their digital line-up, since its an anthology series like Legends of the Dark Knight and Adventures of Superman. Digital books have a lower threshold for selling-related cancellation and its been consistently well received even with the more weaker stories.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Solid week this time.

Sinestro keeps being amazing, Secret Origins was worth the price for utterly fantastic telling of Constantine's story, Red Lanterns had a fitting end (am I wrong or they implied that Guy became a Blue Lantern at the end?), Worlds End was entertaining.

Future's End was good and it really show that they should've culled plots from it and focus more on the Batman Beyond plot. JLD was acceptable even if the end felt forced same as Aquaman.

Batman & Robin was FANTASTIC, my favorite issue of the week in fact.

The only stinkers were Eternal and Flash.

Now I'm ready for Convergence.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Red Lanterns had a fitting end (am I wrong or they implied that Guy became a Blue Lantern at the end?),

It was clearly leading into Charles Soule's Futures End issue, which itself is a solid goodbye to Soule's run on the character.

VV E:I think he did about as good as you could do in a 3 issue run where all the loose ends had already been tied up. He made it a small personal story with just Guy and no other Reds and foreshadowed a bunch of stuff that would show up in Soule's FE issue since that issue had already done the conclusion to Guy's arc.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 26, 2015

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I feel bad that Landry Walker got 3 issues to do something, but it was perfectly serviceable, nothing great, but what can you do with 3 issues.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read the new RL yet, but I thought these closing issues have been horrible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As publicity for Convergence DC put one quiz about "which universe would you live?"

Is pretty cute.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

As publicity for Convergence DC put one quiz about "which universe would you live?"

Is pretty cute.

"An almost comically large sword-gun-thing". Heh, I like this.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Edit: Never mind, just realised who I was trying to convince.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

FilthyImp posted:

Things that happen during it that mean something maybe I guess? LEGIONAIRRES become REBELS!
L.E.G.I.O.N. (the 20th century team run by Vril Dox) become REBELS, the Legion of the 30th century gets rebooted by Mark Waid (the first time)

quote:

Power Girl is power pregnant (and gives power birth)
Was this covered by Zero Hour? I thought it was part of Gerard Jones's post-Giffen/DeMatteis run on Justice League __________.

quote:

Half Jordan, as Parallax, dies while trying to reboot the multiverse.
He doesn't die, and is back the following month for Zero Month. He doesn't 'die' until Final Night a few years later.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edge & Christian posted:

L.E.G.I.O.N. (the 20th century team run by Vril Dox) become REBELS, the Legion of the 30th century gets rebooted by Mark Waid (the first time)
Ok, I see the LEGION reboot being important.
LEGIONNAIRES was basically young clone versions of the LEGION, right? Or something?

quote:

Was this covered by Zero Hour? I thought it was part of Gerard Jones's post-Giffen/DeMatteis run on Justice League __________.
She's pregnant during the TimeGoatse and towards the end the baby mystically projects a power force field and at the very very end she gives birth.

quote:

He doesn't die, and is back the following month for Zero Month. He doesn't 'die' until Final Night a few years later.
He's shot in the chest by Ollie and then they go back and nudge him a cm out of timesynch and Ollie smashes his bow at the end.

As a young teen with no disposable income, who couldn't follow storylines of the era, it looked like they had offed Parallax there.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 26, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FilthyImp posted:

LEGIONNAIRES was basically young clone versions of the LEGION, right? Or something?

I love the Legion but trying to figure out all the different versions is a gateway to madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

FilthyImp posted:

Pre-ZH, the LEGIONNAIRES book featured the Legionnaires or SW6 Batch team, who may or may not have been the clones, while LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES featured the adult team.

Post-ZH there was a full reboot from start for the 30th century and, while both books continued, it was the same (young, just starting) Legion and the story moved from book to book, so you would read LSH #whatever and then the next part was in Legionnaires #whatever, then LSH #whatever+1, etc etc. It was annoying as hell and eventually they added extra numbers on the cover so readers could keep track more easily.

• Locked thread