Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These are the kids you share a road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs0iwz3NEC0

Clips are associated with a study that concludes

quote:

Researchers analyzed the six seconds leading up to a crash in nearly 1,700 videos of teen drivers taken from in-vehicle event recorders. The results showed that distraction was a factor in 58 percent of all crashes studied, including 89 percent of road-departure crashes and 76 percent of rear-end crashes. NHTSA previously has estimated that distraction is a factor in only 14 percent of all teen driver crashes.

Researchers found that drivers manipulating their cell phone (includes calling, texting or other uses), had their eyes off the road for an average of 4.1 out of the final six seconds leading up to a crash. The researchers also measured reaction times in rear-end crashes and found that teen drivers using a cell phone failed to react more than half of the time before the impact, meaning they crashed without braking or steering.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2015/03/distraction-teen-crashes-even-worse-thought/

In summary: pay attention to the road, jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kastein posted:

Did he not realize he'd have to rip all the electronics modules and a few dozen VIN tags, stampings, and stickers off the thing as well or they'd still figure out who it was?

This was literally my first thought upon reading the post.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

xzzy posted:

The human race is so hosed :cripes:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Maybe that has something to do with all the cars driving at night with lights off? They're normally new, smaller cars that teens would have bought for them in this area and they probably have their face in a phone anyway.
Where I'm living now is a very cheap house in the state's most affluent area, and I've never seen so many cars at night with lights off in my life!
It didn't happen before the rise of smart phones and social media, and doesn't happen so much in poorer areas where kids have to buy their own first piece of crap car I reckon.

Every time I go out on the road at night these days I'm only on the road for 5min at a time just to get to the local shop, and without fail I see a car with no lights on. Every single night. So I wonder how many per night drive without lights on in this area.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 26, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Most of those crashes could have been avoided or at least they could have been less severe had those knuckleheads not overcorrected so much.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

Maybe that has something to do with all the cars driving at night with lights off? They're normally new, smaller cars that teens would have bought for them in this area and they probably have their face in a phone anyway.
Where I'm living now is a very cheap house in the state's most affluent area, and I've never seen so many cars at night with lights off in my life!
It didn't happen before the rise of smart phones and social media, and doesn't happen so much in poorer areas where kids have to buy their own first piece of crap car I reckon.

Every time I go out on the road at night these days I'm only on the road for 5min at a time just to get to the local shop, and without fail I see a car with no lights on. Every single night. So I wonder how many per night drive without lights on in this area.

I live in the ghetto. They don't use their lights at night here either. It's an idiot thing, not an affluence thing.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Never seen it happen so much until I moved into this area. I'm talking 1 car every 2 weeks or longer after driving hours many evenings and nights before, to 1 car a night in this area after being only on the road for 5 loving minutes.
It's many things though, newer cars with dash lights on all the time, streets well lit and other factors. It's just more common to happen in this area is all I'm saying.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Most of those crashes could have been avoided or at least they could have been less severe had those knuckleheads not overcorrected so much.
People that don't drive responsibly don't know how to actually drive. Shocking!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 26, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

xzzy posted:

That singles out teens, but I'm guessing it applies pretty much equally to anyone with a smart phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah, the study was specifically designed to study teenage drivers which are by far the most wreck-prone demographic. They wanted high quality information about what was actually causing the accidents.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
obviously the thing to do is to put them in trucks or suvs so when they depart the roadway they are equipped for off road!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Now oil and gas is cheaper that's what everyone's going to do.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Oh poo poo, car's going off the road! Better throw the wheel in the complete opposite direction as fast and as far as possible! :downs:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

go3 posted:

obviously the thing to do is to put them in trucks or suvs so when they depart the roadway they are equipped for off road!

Or perhaps give them guns!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
and frame parachutes

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

wayfinder posted:

Or perhaps give them guns!

Oh god then they'll road rage at everyone.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

go3 posted:

and frame parachutes

You're funny, but no. What we actually need is a frame air-bag that is connected to that camera in the cabin. When the car detects a run-off happening it checks to see if the driver is looking at his phone, and if he is it blows an airbag that launches the car into the woods, never to be seen again.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

StormDrain posted:

I really love yelling 'THIS IS A NEIGHBORHOOD!' at guys going obnoxiously slow.

WE ARE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usN3rpfFoGA

EDIT: Since we are talking distraction behind the wheel, did we get this story yet?

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/gresham/2015/03/18/police-driver-who-hit-teens-in-crosswalk-was-taking-video-in-car/25000993/

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 26, 2015

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

GramCracker posted:

Oh poo poo, car's going off the road! Better throw the wheel in the complete opposite direction as fast and as far as possible! :downs:

shocker : distracted drivers with 8 months experience are not great drivers in panic situations

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rain. Winding back road. Poor lighting. Yellow 15MPH warning signs at every curve with the wiggly "curves ahead" sign nearby. 35MPH limit. No shoulder, guardrail about a foot off the white line.

Tailgater riding my rear end at 40MPH so close I can't see his headlights.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

PCOS Bill posted:

Rain. Winding back road. Poor lighting. Yellow 15MPH warning signs at every curve with the wiggly "curves ahead" sign nearby. 35MPH limit. No shoulder, guardrail about a foot off the white line.

Sounds like conditions warrant going 15MPH.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

In my state, the one who rear ends is pretty much always at fault. "Welp, they should've stopped." It gets to be more of a grey area if, say, someone swerves erratically right in front of you without using a blinker or something but I won't get into that.

Even if you brake sharply, if the guy riding your rear end hits you, then he's at fault because he should have left more of a stopping distance. That's how the law sees it. So why oh why do people tailgate me anyway when I'm already going over the speed limit?

It's especially annoying when I'm going the speed of the car(s) in front of me. Why is the idiot behind me mad at ME about the speed that these other people are going? It's not MY fault that some old lady up there is going 5 under and now she has a motorcade behind her. Take it up with her if it makes you so mad.

This is my only real pet peeve on the road because it makes me so nervous when someone's riding my bumper.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 27, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Pixelated Dragon posted:

It's especially annoying when I'm going the speed of the car(s) in front of me. Why is the idiot behind me mad at ME about the speed that these other people are going? It's not MY fault that some old lady up there is going 5 under and now she has a motorcade behind her. Take it up with her if it makes you so mad.

Oh that one is easy to explain: they want you to pass on the pressure and tailgate the person in front of you.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

In my state, the one who rear ends is pretty much always at fault. "Welp, they should've stopped." It gets to be more of a grey area if, say, someone swerves erratically right in front of you without using a blinker or something but I won't get into that.

Even if you brake sharply, if the guy riding your rear end hits you, then he's at fault because he should have left more of a stopping distance. That's how the law sees it.
Over here, the person rear ending is always at fault. Even if the person in front of you drives like an rear end, if you rear end them, your third party Insurance will foot the bill. The only exception is if malice can be proven. The other outcome is that both parties are found to be at fault and liable for the damages to the other party.

I had an accident like that recently, I accelerated to merge with traffic under the assumption that the driver in front of me had done the same. They had not, so I rear ended them. However because they could have kept left and gone around the roundabout part of the intersection, instead of stopping in the middle of the intersection, we were both found to be at fault. I rear ended them because I was looking at cross-traffic coming down the bridge, so I was looking way over my shoulder to the right, instead of in front of me. They were found at fault because they caused the accident by stopping in the middle of an intersection when they could have carried on to the left and would have had right-of-way to do so with regard to crossing traffic.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PCOS Bill posted:

I wave people like that around me and let them lead the way for cops or other road hazards.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wayfinder posted:

Oh that one is easy to explain: they want you to pass on the pressure and tailgate the person in front of you.

No, they want you and every other person who may cause them the slightest delay to pull over and let them past.

Never mind the line of cars they want to pass also wants to go faster, this is beyond their comprehension.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
No, they have never needed to suddenly brake so they don't know what the hell they are doing.
But to give the benefit of the doubt, they want the first car beind the slow car to overtake, then the second, then 3rd etc so they can actually overtake. They can't overtake if no one in front of them is overtaking.
E: But cars now are so poo poo at downshifting and accelerating due to DBW these days anyway, if someone plans to overtake they need a run up so there's no point in being close to the car behind, I miss my EL falcon :( All cable, all action when I planted my foot.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Fo3 posted:

No, they have never needed to suddenly brake so they don't know what the hell they are doing.
But to give the benefit of the doubt, they want the first car beind the slow car to overtake, then the second, then 3rd etc so they can actually overtake. They can't overtake if no one in front of them is overtaking.

That would make sense if it's a stretch of road that allows for passing. A lot of the state routes around here don't have many passing areas because they're so winding.

I also see that in the passing areas a lot of people will overtake two or even three cars at a time. It's super illegal but that doesn't stop a lot of people from doing it anyway. They are usually driving raised trucks or lowered rice burners. :derp:

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 27, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Deedle posted:

merge ... roundabout part of the intersection ... cross-traffic coming down the bridge

My brain hurts trying to construct the map of this "intersection".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I also see that in the passing areas a lot of people will overtake two or even three cars at a time. It's super illegal but that doesn't stop a lot of people from doing it anyway. They are usually driving raised trucks or lowered rice burners. :derp:

It's annoying when the guy behind me passes just as I was about to swing out and make my own pass, but on the other hand sometimes you get three 85-year-olds in a row, all perfectly content to do 40 in a 55, and it seems justified to overtake all three.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

My brain hurts trying to construct the map of this "intersection".

It's sort of a triangle with each side being a 60 deg. right-hand turn and a roundabout in the middle.
So each side has two lanes going in one direction and the roundabout lane at the far left which is separated by the typical block markings which demarcate a merging lane.

I'll post google maps pictures once the last of the legal dust settles. It's an odd intersection to say the least.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PCOS Bill posted:

How many turn outs did you pass before this happened?

Maybe I've been on hwy 1 too much lately, but people who won't use turn outs piss me off as much as tailgaters. I prefer the horn and the finger to tailgating though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

How many turn outs did you pass before this happened?

Maybe I've been on hwy 1 too much lately, but people who won't use turn outs piss me off as much as tailgaters. I prefer the horn and the finger to tailgating though.

The gently caress is a "turn out"?

But tell me more about how I was in the wrong for only doing 5 over in 40*F rain in March at night when someone decided to come up my rear end.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 28, 2015

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

PCOS Bill posted:

But tell me more about how I was in the wrong for only doing 5 over in 40*F rain in March at night when someone decided to come up my rear end.

You weren't doing anything wrong, but when I have been in similar situations(driving in NZ insane) I have used turnouts tell let assholes go around me for my own sanity. I would rather let them by me then have them drive erratically behind me.

Saintfuzzled
Jan 17, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

I live in the ghetto. They don't use their lights at night here either. It's an idiot thing, not an affluence thing.

That's called 'blackout'... yo. You know, to keep the cops from spotting you! :D

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

PCOS Bill posted:

A turn out is a dedicated area that allows slow traffic to pull over and allow other traffic to pass. Common in places where it really isn't practical to pass otherwise, such as a mountain road.

In most places, you are legally required to get out of the way of faster traffic, even if they are speeding.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Brigdh posted:

A turn out is a dedicated area that allows slow traffic to pull over and allow other traffic to pass. Common in places where it really isn't practical to pass otherwise, such as a mountain road.

In most places, you are legally required to get out of the way of faster traffic, even if they are speeding.

Yeah, there's nothing like that on the stretch I was driving on. And if there were, HAD I tried to stop to get out of the way I would likely have had to get a new rear bumper at the very least, been late where I was going, had to stand in the cold rain to exchange insurance information, maybe wait for a towtruck where there's nowhere really safe off the side of the road...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah, I drive a fuckload of mountain roads and always have to push a couple of people out of the way. And those guys that don't know what a turn out is, so it has to turn into the passing lane. People in sports cars enjoy following the yellow sign speed signs in the corners, and the white speed limit signs on the straights. I just floor it because I know there are only two LEOs in the whole county.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Brigdh posted:

WA state has a law that states "delay of 5 or more vehicles illegal" or something to that effect, and they put signs up about it too. Of course, none of the geriatrics that I'd inevitably get stuck behind driving around on Whidbey Island paid attention to that. So many champagne mid-90s Cadillacs....

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Saw someone today driving around in some newish vw sedan with the entire driver's side of the car caved in to the point that roof buckled next to the sunroof and I could see inside the car. It looked like it had been t-boned by a semi. No state safety inspections may be awesome when it comes to doing awesome poo poo to an old hot rod, but sometimes I really do wish florida had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pulled out into what appeared to be an unoccupied road leaving work.

Just as I hit the road, I see someone turn on their parking lights behind me. Oh wait...

Blacked out high beams. They were barely visible (literally just a slight "... what is that?" in my mirror, followed by a truck roaring past me doing 70+ in a 40). And of course he cuts me off and slams on his brakes.

Hey fuckstick, maybe if you didn't tint your headlights to the point that your high beams are dimmer than a match, I may have seen you, in your awesome black truck with black wheels, blacked out chrome, blacked out lights all the way around (even when he cut me off and hit his brakes, his tails were barely visible), late at night, with dealer plates. This is why I have a dashcam, and why I called the cops. The dealer plates should make it a bit easier to track down. My vision isn't the greatest without glasses (I had my glasses on), but the headlights were dimmer than my parking lights.

Part of me wishes he had hit me, just so I could watch a cop smack the gently caress out of him once I showed them video of "what lights?".