Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

DreadLlama posted:

Has anyone got head tracking to work with FPV gimbals? Surely I'm not the first person to think of this. You could probably get like a blimp and rent time on a VR spot to people over the internet.

Yes, it's been a thing (mainly with fixed wing craft) for quite a while. The higher end Fatshark goggles and the Skyzones have head tracking built in, you just need a camera on a pan & tilt servo and something to control it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Odette posted:

Really? Well, consider me happy to be proven wrong!

I still wouldn't want to venture into that part of the hobby though.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2332356
http://www.itsqv.com/QVW/index.php?title=Panasonic_NCR18650PF_3S3P_Pack_Test_and_Build

Price point is about the same, but with significant weight saving.
I'm tempted to build a ~12000mAh 4S pack.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm just trying to figure out what i need to solder these all together - my last attempt with a battery tab on a gb cart did not have particularly good results.

edit: I guess the answer is, "a lot of flux"

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54&search=18650PF if anyone finds a cheaper price, let me know. 108 for 11.6 amp hours

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 23, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm just trying to figure out what i need to solder these all together - my last attempt with a battery tab on a gb cart did not have particularly good results.

edit: I guess the answer is, "a lot of flux"

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54&search=18650PF if anyone finds a cheaper price, let me know. 108 for 11.6 amp hours

The answer is "some flux" and "LOTS OF HEAT". The biggest problem with soldering to batteries, is that they can suck a lot of heat out of the iron really fast. Batteries are both good heat sinks, and very sensitive to high heat. You need to solder quickly to not damage the battery.

I seem to have missed it, why are we talking about low-C battery packages? 18650's are fine packages, but they're not light..

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Nerobro posted:

The answer is "some flux" and "LOTS OF HEAT". The biggest problem with soldering to batteries, is that they can suck a lot of heat out of the iron really fast. Batteries are both good heat sinks, and very sensitive to high heat. You need to solder quickly to not damage the battery.

I seem to have missed it, why are we talking about low-C battery packages? 18650's are fine packages, but they're not light..

They're good for transmitter packs or as batteries for large endurance craft.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone used the Yuneec Q500? I'm kinda torn between that and a Phantom 2 Vision+ at the moment.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2272622
http://www.fpvguy.com/2015/01/yuneec-q500.html

It looks like a clone of the blade 350 QX3 AP, which flite test liked. except it has a worse camera and costs more.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/350-qx3-ap-combo-rtf-with-safe-technology-blh8160
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus (15% off atm, most amazon sellers should also reflect this)

Nerobro posted:

a lot of the multistar high capacity packs i were interested in seem to be in short supply (the 6600 and 10000 especially). The numbers I were reading definitely put the 18650 at an advantage in both volume and mass per mah. http://www.itsqv.com/QVW/index.php?title=Panasonic_NCR18650PF_3S3P_Pack_Test_and_Build

The only other low c battery I've seen is an announcement by HAIYIN on rcgroups that they were now selling them (but through direct inquiry only) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1539978&page=59

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 23, 2015

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
You guys understand we're on the ground floor for some crazy bullshit Final Fantasy/Steampunk airships, right?

God, I resent myself for saying it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ionicism posted:

They're good for transmitter packs or as batteries for large endurance craft.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

a lot of the multistar high capacity packs i were interested in seem to be in short supply (the 6600 and 10000 especially). The numbers I were reading definitely put the 18650 at an advantage in both volume and mass per mah. http://www.itsqv.com/QVW/index.php?title=Panasonic_NCR18650PF_3S3P_Pack_Test_and_Build

Seeking those hour flight times eh? :-) I suppose a 10c battery isn't so bad. I have a stack of 18650's at home, I wonder what I can cobble together. (Stack = 15-20)

Even with the metal cans, versus 15 or 20c LiPo packs the weight works out in favor of the 18650s?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Digital Jesus posted:

Anyone used the Yuneec Q500? I'm kinda torn between that and a Phantom 2 Vision+ at the moment.

I've played with one a little bit but not flown it unfortunately. It looks really cool. This is what I liked about it:

Transmitter has plenty of camera controls on it
Video screen downlink on transmitter has great quality
Video range seems really good just walking around the building
Transmitter feels really solid and high quality, better than the Phantom IMO
Purportedly long flight times (35 minutes?)
No fisheye in the camera like a go pro
Camera/gimbal can come off and go on a handle for hand-held shooting

What I didn't like about it:
Frame seems fragile (but light)
Motors seem cheap, they have a one-piece deep drawn bell rather than aluminum/iron

Not sure if that helps. If I get a chance to fly it I'll let you know any updates.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

Seeking those hour flight times eh? :-) I suppose a 10c battery isn't so bad. I have a stack of 18650's at home, I wonder what I can cobble together. (Stack = 15-20)

Even with the metal cans, versus 15 or 20c LiPo packs the weight works out in favor of the 18650s?

My understanding is that you need the PF version of the 18650s.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

The numbers I read claimed ~1000g for 14500mah of 18650 (4s). So like 14.5mah / gram vs 12.3mah / gram. I don't know about your 15 or 20c ones, but those generally would be heavier

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 24, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The numbers I read claimed ~1000g for 14500mah of 18650 (4s). So like 14.5mah / gram vs 12.3mah / gram. I don't know about your 15 or 20c ones, but those generally would be heavier

You can bet I'll be checking that tonight. :-) if the metal cans end up better... I'm gonna do some silly poo poo on my quads.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Unless your quad can fly for 30 minutes or greater there is likely no advantage.

These are not exactly known for holding voltage under load. 10c is likely not realistic.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yeah, the 18650 were more like 3.5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adfydRg8PYU

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 24, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

helno posted:

Unless your quad can fly for 30 minutes or greater there is likely no advantage.

These are not exactly known for holding voltage under load. 10c is likely not realistic.

The 3p thing is where I got 10c.

SO.. I dug up a 20-30c turnigy cell. 183 grams. 2200mah. 24.2Wh. 7.56g/Wh.

I have a ultrafire 3000mah 3.7v liion cell. 18650 size. 38.8g. 11.1Wh. 3.5g/Wh.

That's.. Massive. Like, you could afford to carry twice as Wh for a given weight.

I still really like the way that thing looks.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 24, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

3D printed a prop guard, since those tiny bastards are like ninja discs.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 24, 2015

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CommieGIR posted:

3D printed a prop guard, since those tiny bastards are like ninja discs.

Ah man, that's way better than the one I got. Mine was just a stick on with double sided tape and doesn't do dick. That looks like it snaps onto the motors?
Link?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

deong posted:

Ah man, that's way better than the one I got. Mine was just a stick on with double sided tape and doesn't do dick. That looks like it snaps onto the motors?
Link?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:212615

Here is an alternative, individual prop guards:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:343137

There are a couple different versions, this is Version 2, I printed Version 3 originally but it's a little too springy.

The only issues is the motor mounts for the Estes Quadcopter are not solid, they are loosely held in there, so the guard pushes the motors around and you have to spend some time aligning it.

EDIT: Take note, you may want to scale up the design a bit before you print, by 1-2% or so, as they are REALLY tight. I'm re-printing them with the scale increased to see if it makes it easier to fit.

Alternate style:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 24, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Yes, it's been a thing (mainly with fixed wing craft) for quite a while. The higher end Fatshark goggles and the Skyzones have head tracking built in, you just need a camera on a pan & tilt servo and something to control it.

Really? poo poo, really? gently caress.

Is there a general rundown/idiots guide on the internet? I want to ask a lot of questions but I think I'm not the first. Can they land? Can parachutes be opened via radio control? What about via accelerators? Is it legal to put an ELT in one in case you lose it? Are they necessarily constrained to one specific platform? I have specific interests.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

DreadLlama posted:

Is there a general rundown/idiots guide on the internet? I want to ask a lot of questions but I think I'm not the first. Can they land? Can parachutes be opened via radio control? What about via accelerators? Is it legal to put an ELT in one in case you lose it? Are they necessarily constrained to one specific platform? I have specific interests.

I would learn to fly normally before flying something like that. Pulse Jets aren't going to be forgiving if your FPV goes out and you don't know how to fly and land with just LOS.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Apologies. I should have been more specific.

My interest in pulsejets is due to them being cheap. They're the cheapest gas-burning engine. If one goes valveless, there are no moving parts to fail. Valveless pulsejets are elegant, like something Tesla might have designed. No, I don't want to go fast. I want a pig. I want fuel-laden glider with big wings stuffed with fuel that just barely has enough thrust to get off the ground, but stays up like rocks don't. (Like this guy did but not electric and also not a 450 3D heli because because gently caress if I can afford a T-rex. I want something which can loiter, all day today, all day tomorrow, and all next week. I want a geostationary satellite in aircraft form.

Actually, I want a blimp. Or a zeppelin. Yeah. A loving FPV zeppelin. Do those exist yet? How are we coming along with integrating photovoltaics into aircraft fuselages?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 26, 2015

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I currently have my video transmitter & control receiver antennas right next to each other on my ZMR250.

Am I right in assuming that they should be at opposite ends of the frame to reduce interference? :ohdear:

Should I actually be concerned ..

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I just bought a JJRC H9D and it's got all that jank stacked in the center. I have to unpower the camera before I handshake the controller/receivers or it won't move an inch. Spread those fuckers out and put some tinfoil between them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

DreadLlama posted:

I played with a fat shark from square one as a newb but none of your questions make a lick of sense to me. Godspeed with your project though!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

Apologies. I should have been more specific.

My interest in pulsejets is due to them being cheap. They're the cheapest gas-burning engine. If one goes valveless, there are no moving parts to fail. Valveless pulsejets are elegant, like something Tesla might have designed. No, I don't want to go fast. I want a pig. I want fuel-laden glider with big wings stuffed with fuel that just barely has enough thrust to get off the ground, but stays up like rocks don't. (Like this guy did but not electric and also not a 450 3D heli because because gently caress if I can afford a T-rex. I want something which can loiter, all day today, all day tomorrow, and all next week. I want a geostationary satellite in aircraft form.

Actually, I want a blimp. Or a zeppelin. Yeah. A loving FPV zeppelin. Do those exist yet? How are we coming along with integrating photovoltaics into aircraft fuselages?

Even if your fuel fraction was .9, you will won't get much run time from a pulsejet. They're really hungery. And they have the "high velocity" problem, where they lose a lot of potential thrust due to exhaust velocity.

Pulsejets suck. Get them out of your mind. :-)

Do you really want "all day" or "all of tomorrow" runtime? If that's really your goal, gas may be the only way to do it. You don't need cheap, you need economy.

Now.. I want to do the math on this. Give me a couple hours.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

DreadLlama posted:

Not gonna lie, now i'm curious too. Are RC blimps a thing? And if not, why the hell aren't they?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, now i'm curious too. Are RC blimps a thing? And if not, why the hell aren't they?

Have you even been to a sporting event? Those goddamn things are in every stadium. Look, they've dropped coupons for pizza!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

With a 10ish foot wingspan you could do a day, or two airborne. You'll get around 18lbs to build the airframe. (that's pretty easy really) And you'll need a 2ish horsepower engine.

RC blimps are a thing, they're just horrific to fly. They're slow so they are hard to control, and even light breezes make them useless.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Have you even been to a sporting event? Those goddamn things are in every stadium. Look, they've dropped coupons for pizza!

Never been a huge sports fan, so I've never been to a stadium and can't tell if you're loving with me or not :v:

Like, are they seriously a thing? And if so, how big and expensive are they? Because RC zeppelins / blimps just sound like they'd be neat, I want to know more.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

T1g4h posted:

As mentioned they are pretty common at sporting events. You see them indoors most often as wind is a big factor. Granted I've only talked to one person that flies them, so I don't know all that much, just that they are pretty neat.

I have never seen an fpv setup, I can't imagine it would be that difficult. And flight time should be very high since you are only providing lateral thrust and not using it for lift.

I also have no idea on cost or where you would even begin to go to acquire one.

Edit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/blimps-62/?s=2e617252595ce67f0437b9e100796ba5&

subx fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 26, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

T1g4h posted:

Yeah

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It seems like the square-cube law is helping you in zeppelins as they get bigger instead of hurting you like heavier-than-air craft.

One cool thing you can do with small stuff is make them lighter than air by making the envelope out of something stiff and light (carbon fiber) and sucking the air out of it. Vacuum is much lighter than air; lighter than hydrogen, even!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

subx posted:

As mentioned they are pretty common at sporting events. You see them indoors most often as wind is a big factor. Granted I've only talked to one person that flies them, so I don't know all that much, just that they are pretty neat.

I have never seen an fpv setup, I can't imagine it would be that difficult. And flight time should be very high since you are only providing lateral thrust and not using it for lift.

I also have no idea on cost or where you would even begin to go to acquire one.

Edit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/blimps-62/?s=2e617252595ce67f0437b9e100796ba5&

Holy poo poo, first thread I saw after glancing through was "Lous' Hindenburg Build". That's somewhat amazing :allears:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Apparently it is a thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDd2ZSBqN-8 . But I'd expect the easy route is to just build a glider, and use solar energy in the form of thermals for lift.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It seems like the square-cube law is helping you in zeppelins as they get bigger instead of hurting you like heavier-than-air craft.

One cool thing you can do with small stuff is make them lighter than air by making the envelope out of something stiff and light (carbon fiber) and sucking the air out of it. Vacuum is much lighter than air; lighter than hydrogen, even!

Unfortunately vacuum buoyancy doesn't work (Yet. Also, it may never work). The idea has been kicking around for a few hundred years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship) but nothing practical has yet come from it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I am using a board like this Nano MX Multiwii to fly a quad, and it has 6 ports available for brushless ESC's:

(ignore the red circle, this is someone elses image)

With no other places on the board to attach another motor to. I was wondering if I could remap D5 or D6 to be A0 and use it for servo camera pitch.

This is a link to the .PDF of the sort-of datasheet where it actually does mention A0 and A1 can be used in quadx configuration but doesn't explain how.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=7282834&d=1415885189

So is it even possible to use the ESC ports for running a servo?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DreadLlama posted:

Unfortunately vacuum buoyancy doesn't work (Yet. Also, it may never work). The idea has been kicking around for a few hundred years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship) but nothing practical has yet come from it.

I have witnessed with my own eyes a contraption thus: four carbon fiber triangles approximately one foot on a side. These four triangles were butted up against each other and a refrigeration vacuum pump applied to a schrader valve installed in one of the triangles. This tetrahedron was then sucked down to about 15torr. When the pump hose was removed, the tetrahedron floated off the table and hit the ceiling. This dislodged one of the triangles, and the whole thing deflated with an impressive POP, and the four triangles fell to the ground.

I don't know how much net buoyancy the device had, but I suspect not very much.

edit: some math says that it was probably bigger than a foot on a side. This was 15 years ago, and just "hey, that's neat" at the time. But certainly less than 3' on a side.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I worked with a guy years ago that flew an rc blimp around the studio that had really high ceilings. It was all well and good until he got too close to the AC return vent. The blimp didn't have enough power to escape and was pulled in like a tractor beam.

:rip: Blimp.