Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

NeoSeeker posted:

I wouldn't even go for a CS port. The only real reason to play Clear Sky besides the actual campaign is the faction wars mod.

When Call of Chernobyl gets its own Faction War mod I don't think anyone will remember clear sky. Honestly the plot wasn't the highpoint of the series, so unless you just want to play through CS with a few fixes not much would come out of it.

I agree. The only real reason I had tried porting it is the COP engine is far more stable. However it looks like the majority of the crap it has is actually faulty scripts.

The funny thing is that when I went through the code for porting Clear Sky, I found that GSC left the faction wars code completely intact (other than the UI). Someone could make a faction wars mod on COP quite easily if they were handy with scripts.

Update on the drug mod: I'll be adding various new drugs (current list: LSD, Cannabis, Meth, Heroin) and they will have appropriate new visuals thanks to Meltac :)

I'm toying with the idea of having downsides for some drugs.
For example, you could become an addict to Meth or Heroin and suffer consequences for not using them.
Likewise, using LSD too often might cause you to develop HPPD and you'd have to deal with visual distortions without drugs for the rest of the game (since there is no cure ;) [I should know, I have HPPD]).

Swartz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm a former smackhead too so I know a bit about that.

I don't think there would be a fun or interesting game mechanic in having incredible bad diarrhea, though. Misery might have some ideas.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
If you do too much you should black out and wake up at Pripyat in your underwear.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also Swartz if you're going to add drugs you can do some neat things with particles. I remember DMX has a 'ghost' effect that is basically playing a particle at random positions in the player's field of view.

You could probably use this to have bursts of colour and such. Editing particles is a pain in the rear end, though. The scripted side of it is pretty simple, though.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

I don't think there would be a fun or interesting game mechanic in having incredible bad diarrhea, though. Misery might have some ideas.

I could add adult diapers to the game to help offset the immediate effects of the diarrhea...

But yeah, pro's and con's of drugs should be carefully weighed.

BTW, did you get my email?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ddraig posted:

They could use the 'find shelter' mechanic for blowouts but replace the locations with the random outhouses that exist in the gameworld. A personal blowout, of sorts.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Swartz posted:

I could add adult diapers to the game to help offset the immediate effects of the diarrhea...

But yeah, pro's and con's of drugs should be carefully weighed.

BTW, did you get my email?

I did. With the level_weather changes I assume you mean the atmosfear specific one? DOF and such doesn't really exist in the vanilla ones.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tabletops posted:

They could use the 'find shelter' mechanic for blowouts but replace the locations with the random outhouses that exist in the gameworld. A personal blowout, of sorts.

No joke when Misery 2.0 came out I genuinely coded a "making GBS threads yourself to death" function thanks to rotting meat and dysentery and sent it to them. They didn't include it.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
The Misery lead must've really had it in for you, you sent them many amazing contributions.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
To be honest it was kind of a lovely thing for me to do. I was slightly annoyed that a lot of the fixes I made and gave to them to use were discarded and then they told everyone they used them and they didn't so I had a bunch of people send me messages on moddb criticising my shoddy work.

I sensed they were going in a certain direction so I figured a fully scripted first person death sequence due to dysentery would be a good addition.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

To be honest it was kind of a lovely thing for me to do. I was slightly annoyed that a lot of the fixes I made and gave to them to use were discarded and then they told everyone they used them and they didn't so I had a bunch of people send me messages on moddb criticising my shoddy work.

I sensed they were going in a certain direction so I figured a fully scripted first person death sequence due to dysentery would be a good addition.

Can you post a video of it, please? I can only imagine the сукаааааааааааа

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not even sure I have the things any more.

It was basically one of the item effects that would kick in after a random period after eating lovely food.

You would basically stand there, unable to move in the way that you do in Misery, accompanied by a ton of really terrible fart machine noises and then you died.

I was incredibly proud of it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ddraig posted:

It was basically one of the item effects that would kick in after a random period after eating lovely food.

You would basically stand there, unable to move in the way that you do in Misery, accompanied by a ton of really terrible fart machine noises and then you died.

You should be. You should also release Misery: Director's Cut some day and include all this cool poo poo (hah).

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
So I keep getting a CTD when I reach the area west of the bar in the great metal where you first see snorks, it doesn't generate an xray engine error message or anything, just straight to desktop. Anyone else had this problem? I'm playing Lost Alpha with Ddraig's latest patch btw.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Honestly, that really doesn't sound any different from what I remember of playing the mod.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Ddraig, I'm not sure if you are still working on your mod but I've found a few bugs:

Changes to Streloks Stalker Suit are lost (from what I can tell, just the 5 bonus weight limit) when it is repaired
You can generate an infinite amount of gas filter by double clicking one when you don't have a gas mask equipped. It'll just say "no mask equipped" or something to that effect, and place another filter in your inventory.

Thats all I got

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Just make some kind of drug fueled side quest where you trip balls in certain locations to become one with the zone, form a mental link with it through doing acid in psi fields, killing everything there obviously.

Yes I had "halcyon days" too. HPPD would be an understatement for me.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 26, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OhGreatAGinger posted:

So I keep getting a CTD when I reach the area west of the bar in the great metal where you first see snorks, it doesn't generate an xray engine error message or anything, just straight to desktop. Anyone else had this problem? I'm playing Lost Alpha with Ddraig's latest patch btw.

Have you had this problem with snorks before or is it this specific bunch?

I think I may know what's causing it, but I'm not sure if it's a problem with snorks in general or just those ones.

It would also be helpful if you could list any artefacts you have, most notably Sauron's Eye, and if you happen to be a zombie or not.

The problem may be that there's a scripted function that will turn snorks/burers "friendly" if you happen to have either of those conditions and it may be misbehaving.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 26, 2015

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
First time encountering snorks on LA so I'm not sure yet. I was doing the quest where you get the family rifle back for the guy at the bar, I managed to accomplish it by steering clear of that general area with the snorks if that's any help.

No saurons eye, just had two sparklers in my belt. Wasn't zombified either.

Didn't have any problem with the one burer I encountered while searching for Strelok's stash underground.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So, I really don't like LA too much because I feel it's a little clunky (also gently caress all the radiation and poo poo), but these Sin guys are sort of interesting. What role do they really play story-wise? How are they any different than either Bandits or Monolith?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

NeoSeeker posted:

Just make some kind of drug fueled side quest where you trip balls in certain locations to become one with the zone, form a mental link with it through doing acid in psi fields, killing everything there obviously.

Yes I had "halcyon days" too. HPPD would be an understatement for me.

I like your quest idea, but I suck at making quests. It would be cool having you trip and you become one with the Zone, then you suddenly black out and return to a bunch of dead bodies and blood everywhere and you're out of ammo.

UWR has been renamed to Radium upon vote.

Found this via Google Image Search when looking for things regarding Radium:

Considering making it the main menu for the mod, though I wish the text wasn't so blurry :(

Next step is to create world models for all the weapons I added, align the sights, then add script exports to the engine for every single thing possible so Ddraig can have a field day adding whatever he wants to the game.
He already fixed level_weathers.script from AF3 for me so you no longer have to deal with that dumb dynamic DOF thing anymore (mainly so my zoom and reload DOF work), and added a function so that in foggy weather enemies can't see as well.

Very-foggy weather is being removed entirely (clips interiors, isn't fun to play in). Modified level_weathers.script further myself since I'm using Lost Alpha skyboxes, and there is only one moon cycle for it (may make it two: moon or no moon) and having different moon cycles means having 8 different config files for the nights, which is a pain in the rear end. I believe lines 385-387 are the culprit, so I yoinked them out. Haven't tested it yet but I'm sure it worked.
Pretty busy (not today, but soon) so I don't know how much I will get done for Ddraig. I may just drink a ton of caffeinated beverages and stay up all night coding.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 27, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dvsilverwing posted:

So, I really don't like LA too much because I feel it's a little clunky (also gently caress all the radiation and poo poo), but these Sin guys are sort of interesting. What role do they really play story-wise? How are they any different than either Bandits or Monolith?

Very little outside of a few segments.

Their deal is they're the test subjects that the 80s researchers used. Virtually all of the labs and such were experiments done by the scientists who wanted to do unethical medical testing for the betterment of mankind

Turns out absolutely none of that matters though because the true ending is so god drat retarded it basically makes the entirety of this part, and all the other cool stuff about the Zone, worthless.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Swartz posted:

Found this via Google Image Search when looking for things regarding Radium:

No loving way. That's like... almost the worst place to put something radioactive on you, short of on your other head.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Ddraig - I'm a grammar nazi and a bunch of the descriptions of items in LA have errors in them. Is this data in a text file somewhere I can go through and fix up? I'm not at my home PC to do any sort of scanning so thought I'd ask just in case they are spread out over a bunch of files. And if I go through it, would anyone else give a poo poo and want me to post updates somewhere?
I understand this is something few people could care less about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MadBimber posted:

No loving way. That's like... almost the worst place to put something radioactive on you, short of on your other head.

People used to chug radium infused water because they thought it was good for them. Back when radioactivity was first discovered people assumed it was good for you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MadBimber posted:

As OwlFancier said, when Radium was discovered people thought it was a wonderful material that had huge health benefits because it gave off energy and energy = vigor.

There were all kinds of things. Radium suppositories, radium condoms, radium toothpaste, radium flasks that would infuse water with radium...

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/quackcures/quackcures.htm

It was loving insanity

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Gromit posted:

Ddraig - I'm a grammar nazi and a bunch of the descriptions of items in LA have errors in them. Is this data in a text file somewhere I can go through and fix up? I'm not at my home PC to do any sort of scanning so thought I'd ask just in case they are spread out over a bunch of files. And if I go through it, would anyone else give a poo poo and want me to post updates somewhere?
I understand this is something few people could care less about.

The majority of item descriptions are found in string_table_enc_equipment and string_table_items

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I mean, I was familiar with radium water and radium toothpaste, but the radium jockstrap is a new one. I wonder how long it'd take for that to sterilize you?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm guessing we can't ask any of their descendants

I wouldn't be surprised if it was some kind of sex toy. Victorians had electric jockstraps to treat lack of 'vitality' which usually meant strapping an electric thing to your cock and getting yourself off.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MadBimber posted:

Welcome to the old timey days. Look up "shoe fitting fluoroscope" for a real wtf

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ddraig posted:

The majority of item descriptions are found in string_table_enc_equipment and string_table_items

Perfect, thanks mate.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I'm guessing we can't ask any of their descendants

I wouldn't be surprised if it was some kind of sex toy. Victorians had electric jockstraps to treat lack of 'vitality' which usually meant strapping an electric thing to your cock and getting yourself off.

That and steam powered vibrators. Truly it was a golden age.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Swartz I know you're using AF3 as a sort of base so I'm going to start working on the all.spawn to add in the dynamic light switching behaviours for emissions.

I might do a slight re-working of the surge_manager.script to allow 'underground' emissions aswell. Right now in Call of Pripyat, with AF3 and default if you're in an indoor level (there's only really three) when a surge comes up it just cancels doing it and restarts the timer. It would be neat if there were tremors and rumbles and flickering lights instead of that.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Swartz I know you're using AF3 as a sort of base so I'm going to start working on the all.spawn to add in the dynamic light switching behaviours for emissions.

I might do a slight re-working of the surge_manager.script to allow 'underground' emissions aswell. Right now in Call of Pripyat, with AF3 and default if you're in an indoor level (there's only really three) when a surge comes up it just cancels doing it and restarts the timer. It would be neat if there were tremors and rumbles and flickering lights instead of that.

Sounds awesome. I thought you needed me to add script extensions in order for surges to mess with lights though (or is that only the case with flashlights and night vision)?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Torch should be doable without it, I think.

Nightvision I'd probably need control over the nightvision elements of the engine or custom DIK bindings.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Torch should be doable without it, I think.

Nightvision I'd probably need control over the nightvision elements of the engine or custom DIK bindings.

You're right, lua_help shows CTorch has a "switch_offline" variable, but Night vision has nothing of the sort.
I'd rather use direct lua functions rather than DIK bindings whenever possible so I'll make sure it's in there for you.

One other thing about AF3: I've never been a fan of the emission happening on the ground. Why? Well, because you would think it would leave behind scorched earth every time, so the Zone would truly be a dead and barren place. However I like a Zone that's lush and green and full of wildlife, so I think we should either:
A) Change the particle effect of the blowout to happen in the sky
B) Disable the particle effect and just have the psi and radiation damage or whatever happen during a blowout (on top of the camera shaking and various vision ppe's).

What do you think?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ddraig posted:

Available in the zone for 30,000 Ru.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I got two versions of Ukrainian ration in the mail today. Eating Ukrainian canned food and crackers, I now understand why stalkers are so surly.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Available in the zone for 30,000 Ru.

I bet Fleshlights would be a popular Zone import. Need animations of bandits spooging into plastic vaginas to make the addition realistic. If you're an animator please apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So ran into a hurdle. Seems that COP is a lot like SOC in that there's a ton of phantom lights, so I've got the flickering hanging lamps, but 90% of areas are still lit up.