Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Even in DC (you're from there, if I recall correctly), any establishment that sells alcohol cannot also sell/give you a cup of ice. Try asking for a cup of ice from the Starbucks inside your local grocery store some time.

quote:

§ 25–741. Go-cups and back-up drinks prohibited.

(a) The licensee under an off-premises retailer's license, class A or B, shall not provide go-cups to customers.
(b) The licensee under an on-premises retailer's license shall not serve back-up drinks to customers.
§ 25–101. Definitions.
(23) "Go-cup" means a drinking utensil provided at no charge or a nominal charge to a customer for the purpose of consuming alcoholic beverages off the premises of an establishment.

VV edited in the quote VV

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even in DC (you're from there, if I recall correctly), any establishment that sells alcohol cannot also sell/give you a cup of ice.

If you're talking to me, I'm in Buffalo. The only thing we can't get is Everclear (although there is some 192 proof swill we can buy instead - the rationale is that the people that make Everclear refuse to say you can drink it straight, so it's unfit for consumption as-sold. This other crap's manufacturer was willing to claim you can do shots of it).

We can even buy liquor on Sundays!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 25, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KillHour posted:

If you're talking to me, I'm in Buffalo. The only thing we can't get is Everclear (although there is some 192 proof swill we can buy instead - the rationale is that the people that make Everclear refuse to say you can drink it straight, so it's unfit for consumption as-sold. This other crap's manufacturer was willing to claim you can do shots of it).

We can even buy liquor on Sundays!

In Texas, the cutoff to buy beer and wine is midnight... but the cutoff to buy port, sherry, or madeira is 9pm. Again I can vaguely see what they're getting at, if your state has a liquor vs non-liquor distinction you have to draw that arbitrary line somewhere. But somehow port/sherry/madeira are in this gray zone where they can be sold in grocery stores (unlike vodka) but get cut off at 9pm on weeknights and I think entirely on Sundays (unlike say beer or a pinot noir).

Apparently port-fueled rampages were an issue of ongoing concern at some point in Texas regulatory history.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

even if Ohio has a cannabis cartel so long as it comes with decrim who cares, they'll have a hell of a time competing with the national marijuana industry

Here's the thing, Ohio already has decrim. The punishment for having up to three ounces is a 150 dollar fine. Paraphernalia too. There's no massive wound to stop the bleeding on, it's (mainly, getting rid of the ticket will be nice too no doubt) about legalizing the bulk supply side and the best way to do so.

http://norml.org/laws/item/ohio-penalties-2

Edited: a lot

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 25, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
DC's seed share goes on tomorrow:

Based on past trends, I imagine there will be a buttload of media attending this. Looking forward to seeing how it gets covered in the news, banal as it is.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

[...]
Ohio is also not one of The Five, but its cartel-based legalization plan (in which 10 owners, all of which are "investors" will own the only cannabis farms in the state) just got its ballot language approved and can now start collecting signatures. And they have the big bucks needed to hire petition gatherers and send them all over the state. At a certain point, if a given initiative has any popular backing, you can just pay enough people to gather signatures to make it a breeze.

Ohio's internal politics could get nasty though: the competing non-fatcat cannabis backers are saying they won't vote for an initiative that hands over control of the supply to a bunch of pre-paid cronies. So you could potentially see pro-weed folks calling out to their supporters to vote no in 2016, in hopes of having a "better" and more citizen-focused initiative in 2018. Other folks argue that the citizen-backed groups don't have the money/power to get on the ballot anyway, and waiting two years means tens of thousands of Ohioans getting arrested in the meantime. So it may be better to just hurry up and get it legalized period, even under an oligarchy of growers, and then fight the cartels once the illegality issue has been set aside.

We have a similar situation brewing here in Arizona. MPP is drawing up a proposition for the 2016 ballot. Rumor is that some of the established medical dispensaries have paid off the MPP to ensure such a monopoly in Arizona. We have yet to see the final wording, but individual growing rights are a major concern among the local activists. Many of them are seriously on the warpath against these deep pocketed interests. Some are urging a "NO" vote in the event there are no growing rights in the proposition for ordinary consumers. Things may get very interesting here very shortly.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

put a cap on potencies

:staredog:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
We've all been posting here long enough to realize PryorOnFire is trolling, right? He posted here about a month ago saying legalization was the worst because it smells sometimes outside.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Isn't part of Kevin Sabet's thing that he doesn't necessarily hate marijuana, but that he hates the potential "Big Marijuana" that will come with weed legalization? He should be going to Ohio right now and helping the non-cartel side of the legalization movement there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Matey posted:

Isn't part of Kevin Sabet's thing that he doesn't necessarily hate marijuana, but that he hates the potential "Big Marijuana" that will come with weed legalization? He should be going to Ohio right now and helping the non-cartel side of the legalization movement there.

Kevin Sabet's thing is he's a shitlord who uses "Big Marijuana" as a strawman to push his prohibitionist agenda.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Also, last time I was there Oklahoma had this law where a liquor store could sell only alcohol. No smokes, no Solo cups, no horoscope scrolls, nothing but alcohol. So all over OKC you'd see strip mall storefront liquor stores, and infallibly next to it a "Party Store" that's a tiny place that sells cups, ice, tonic water, etc.
It's that way in Kansas too. You have to go to the Party Store, which is usually in the same building but walled off to get mixers, chips and such.

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

Matey posted:

https://twitter.com/bruvs/status/580832515302162432

Sabet is a joke. He refuses to say what he's in favor of and won't seriously engage with anyone that criticizes him. He will, however, happily accept your thousands of dollars to give a speech about how scary weed is.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

“It’s [marijuana industry] all so misleading, and there’s a lot of trickery going on because there are big money and politics in this and not enough people standing up to do the right thing because they’re afraid of losing something — like money, power, privilege or image,” Kaleb said. “I compare it to Big Tobacco and bogus 1950s ads pushing everyone to smoke cigarettes — you know, as an expression of personal freedom and with a mythical 9 out of 10 doctors saying it’s all right. Only this time, it’s not just a buzz from some nicotine we’re talking about. Weed is a psychoactive, mind-altering substance. It is addictive. And I don’t care what anyone says; it is being marketed to kids.”

“The weed, not alcohol or tobacco, came first, and the more I used, the more I drank, and the more pills I eventually popped. That doesn’t happen to everyone who uses weed, but it happen to enough of us. It’s a gateway.”http://gazette.com/teen-colorado-voters-were-duped/article/1548420

Does anyone know a 19 year old who talks like this?

Sounds more like Kaleb is in-fact Kevin.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

KingEup posted:

Does anyone know a 19 year old who talks like this?

Sounds more like Kaleb is in-fact Kevin.

Or he's parroting what his substance abuse counselors have been telling him with some editorial discretion used on phrasing and context.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Countdown to :supaburn:

Looks like some graduate from Oral Roberts University offed himself after taking five edible doses while visiting Colorado.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Concern trolling huh.

quote:

According to CBS4, Fowler said that several hours later, Goodman became “jittery” then incoherent and talking nonsensically.

“He would make eye contact with us but didn’t see us, didn’t recognize our presence almost. He had never got close to this point, I had never seen him like this,” Fowler said.

What a harmless product, completely incomparable to alcohol. Hopefully we can get an injunction against edibles and concentrated THC products.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Concern trolling huh.

What a harmless product, completely incomparable to alcohol. Hopefully we can get an injunction against edibles and concentrated THC products.

You are saying no one has ever offed themselves after drinking too much whiskey or other concentrated Ethanol products?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Actually nevermind I'm wrong.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Concern trolling huh.

After, therefore because of.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

What are label directions for? Just go chug a 1000-count bottle of an NSAID and wash it down with a bottle of scotch - they wouldn't be available in such large quantities if there was any chance you could harm yourself by misusing them!

Chalets the Baka posted:

Go gently caress yourself

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

What a harmless product, completely incomparable to alcohol.

Yes, absolutely.

quote:

Hopefully we can get an injunction against edibles and concentrated THC products.

Wait did you shift to sarcasm? Because this is incorrect and ridiculous.

For god's sake I never imagined people would take up the anti-pot crusade.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

it's unsafe to hand a gun to someone overdosing on thc and many hours away from coming back to reality? you don't say?

sounds like neither him or his friends thought this through at all. I've never heard anyone claim that overdosing on thc won't cause you to temporarily lose your mind, as that's a well-known fact - the claim is simply that the drug doesn't cause fatalities by itself. this guy would have been fine if he was with someone who gave a poo poo about the fact that he was in the twilight zone and most likely terrified with a loaded gun in his back pocket. too bad

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gimp Fack posted:

I've never heard anyone claim that overdosing on thc won't cause you to temporarily lose your mind, as that's a well-known fact
I've never heard that before, but since it is so well known, I'm sure you can find a source easily.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

taqueso posted:

I've never heard that before, but since it is so well known, I'm sure you can find a source easily.

Very large amounts of thc lower the threshold for temporary psychosis, especially for people with low tolerance of thc, and goes away with the high. It's pretty well documented, and I remember experiencing it myself when I was new to mmj edibles. It definitely happens to some people and it most definitely is not life-threatening, if you think I'm claiming that.

e: i am not claiming to be an expert on this, but if you're claiming that oding on edibles will never trigger some negative effects, then neither are you

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 26, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gimp Fack posted:

Very large amounts of thc lower the threshold for temporary psychosis, especially for people with low tolerance of thc, and goes away with the high. It's pretty well documented, and I remember experiencing it myself when I was new to mmj edibles. It definitely happens to some people and it most definitely is not life-threatening, if you think I'm claiming that.

e: i am not claiming to be an expert on this, but if you're claiming that oding on edibles will never trigger some negative effects, then neither are you
I think we agree, actually, I just found the statement that I quoted from your previous post to be over-the-top. Thanks for clarifying your position.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Not to mention, wasn't the dude violating all sorts of laws by being in possession of a firearm and marijuana at the same time, and using a firearm while intoxicated? How stupid do you have to be to mix deadly weapons and psychoactive substances?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Gimp Fack posted:

It's also linked to the THC/CBD composition of the strain, as THC is documented to cause psychotic symptoms but CBD is documented as helping calm or suppress them.

Here, an NIH article that references both of those facts in the abstract!

taqueso posted:

I think we agree, actually, I just found the statement that I quoted from your previous post to be over-the-top. Thanks for clarifying your position.

But it wasn't over-the-top. THC psychosis is a well-known fact, documented in medical literature.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
If it wasn't for easy access to weed that poor kid could have never blown his brains out.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I may have misused the term overdose as I was referring to it as "using well over the recommended dose". ODing as in taking deadly amounts is something I don't see happening with marijuana.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

If it wasn't for easy access to weed that poor kid could have never blown his brains out.

I know, right? I mean, his mom said so and we all know that everyone around someone who commits suicide always says they saw it coming for years!

Gimp Fack posted:

I may have misused the term overdose as I was referring to it as "using well over the recommended dose". ODing as in taking deadly amounts is something I don't see happening with marijuana.

Eh, the "fatal" connotation of "overdose" is primarily a colloquial thing. I don't think it would be fair to fault you for using the term as it's properly defined.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pappyland posted:

Countdown to :supaburn:

Looks like some graduate from Oral Roberts University offed himself after taking five edible doses while visiting Colorado.

What a dumb kid. He'd probably never done marijuana before and was too skeeved to smoke it. Serves him right for carrying a gun while doing drugs too.

e: I would never, ever want access to a gun while doing any drug, even alcohol.

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not to mention, wasn't the dude violating all sorts of laws by being in possession of a firearm and marijuana at the same time, and using a firearm while intoxicated? How stupid do you have to be to mix deadly weapons and psychoactive substances?

I don't think there is a law anywhere about that. Why would there be one?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

I don't think there is a law anywhere about that. Why would there be one?

I can't tell if you're joking or not. Currently under Federal law, users of any federally-illegal drug are prohibited possessors when it comes to firearms (as in, they're not allowed to own them, let alone carry them). A lot of states, Colorado included, have laws against being in close physical possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Not mixing drugs and guns is a very good rule whether it's alcohol or cannabis.

EDIT: Not being an idiot about edibles is another rule

quote:

When the young men got back to Keystone, Fowler said they began ingesting the edible pot. He said his cousin favored some peach tart candies, each piece of candy containing 10 mg of the active ingredient in marijuana, the recommended dose for an adult consuming an edible.

But when Goodman consumed several and experienced no immediate effects he kept gobbling them up.

“Luke popped two simultaneously” after the first two didn’t seem to do anything, said Fowler.

Then he said Goodman took a fifth candy, five times the recommended dose. His mother says her son likely didn’t see the warning on the back of the container which says, “The intoxicating effects of this product may be delayed by two or more hours … the standardized serving size for this product includes no more than 10 mg.”
Also, this puts CO on a pace for about two deaths a year directly attributable to legal pot.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 26, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So if you are drunk in your house in Colorado and you own a gun you are breaking the law? I assume a felony? Doesn't that seem like a problem? Surely there is a stipulation like "in a public place", or like Texas "in a place where alcohol is served."

As far as federal law is concerned, you are already overtly violating it by consuming a schedule 1 substance, so the firearm isn't really that important.

Elotana posted:

Not mixing drugs and guns is a very good rule whether it's alcohol or cannabis.

Agree. But there are a lot of good ideas that don't make you a felon for ignoring.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can see warning labels on edibles being a thing.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Elotana posted:

Also, this puts CO on a pace for about two deaths a year directly attributable to legal pot.

My god...it's an epidemic. Mothers, hide your children!

^^^^^
e: Just picked up a bunch of edibles from Washington and there are warning labels -all- over them saying that it takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours for the effects to kick in, and be careful about overdosing. The labels are there, but do you expect your average college age male to give a flying gently caress?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Powercrazy posted:

So if you are drunk in your house in Colorado and you own a gun you are breaking the law? I assume a felony? Doesn't that seem like a problem? Surely there is a stipulation like "in a public place", or like Texas "in a place where alcohol is served."

As far as federal law is concerned, you are already overtly violating it by consuming a schedule 1 substance, so the firearm isn't really that important.

Agree. But there are a lot of good ideas that don't make you a felon for ignoring.

AFAIK it's not something commonly enforced, I've never really heard of anyone getting in trouble for it, but I'm sure it has happened.

EDIT: And yes I do think it's a problem, along with the thousands of other laws that proscribe harsh and draconian punishments for relatively minor offenses. Welcome to the American criminal justice system :(.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 26, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
You're not a real industry in America until you've caused a few deaths anyway. This just goes to help legitimize legal marijuana!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Powercrazy posted:

Here's the code, it's a misdemeanor:

quote:

(d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 18-18-102 (5).
If you're drunk in your house and your gun is in easy reach I suppose you would break this law, but if the police are observing you in your house with a gun around, you've presumably done something else bad (cops are terrible so probably not).

• Locked thread