Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

the first Bioshock was okay, but every one after that is basically that post.
yeah every single both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Great Joe posted:

yeah every single both

fair enough, I thought there were a bunch of expansions to Bioshock 2, but maybe it was just the two games

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Bioshock Infinite was a pretty good first ~half of a game, and a really bad second half of a different game, which is what frustrates me most about it. Everything up to Finkton feels like a decent follow-up to Bioshock, and everything after it is a boring sci-fi genre/linear shooter piece that no one asked for but we got anyway because Ken Levine is a terrible writer.

Usually when you look at a game's cut content you go, "oh that's neat, I would've liked to see that," but in Infinite's case it's more "there is an entirely different, complete game here that I would really have preferred to play."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The problem is that first half is also bad, because Bioshock's gameplay is really dumb and shallow. It's a game that wants to play like Dishonored and instead plays like a really slow Quake.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The problem is that first half is also bad, because Bioshock's gameplay is really dumb and shallow. It's a game that wants to play like Dishonored and instead plays like a really slow Quake.

I can agree with that, mainly because I think more FPS games should play, or at least control like Dishonored.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

I can agree with that, mainly because I think more FPS games should play, or at least control like Dishonored.
Infinite clearly wanted you to use stealth and explore and wanted movement options like Dishonored, it just sucked too hard to have them.

Bioshock 1 also has really unsatisfying gun combat that they decided to center the game around, and I never understood why it got the praise it did.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i want to game, but i must work overtime. this... is fail.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Infinite clearly wanted you to use stealth and explore and wanted movement options like Dishonored, it just sucked too hard to have them.

Bioshock 1 also has really unsatisfying gun combat that they decided to center the game around, and I never understood why it got the praise it did.

I think the first one's praise is based on the visuals and art direction and story (I know it's overrated, but it was good). The actual gameplay has always been kind of :shrug:, which is why it was only okay as a game.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I only got around to playing Bioshock after the twist had been spoiled for me and well after the zeitgeist had died down and I sorta get it. It put forth RPG ideas in a genre where the majority of players had never played an RPG, the plasmids are legitimately pretty neat, the level design has a lot of little secrets and allowed for some exploration at a time when shooters were getting increasingly corridor-y, and they really did knock it out of the park in terms of atmosphere. The gunplay is bad, but then again a lot of people stuck with using the wrench almost exclusively in conjunction with plasmids, which is a much more rewarding playstyle than using mostly guns.

Personally I think it's still fun to go back to because it's pretty novel to be a sneaky mid-century gunmage, but I think it receives such high praise because it kind of fills the same role as Oblivion, ie: a high-profile release that made RPG elements in games palatable to people who would normally blow them off as being too complicated. I'd say it's also similar to how FF7 got big but that was really more the game that made people who would later disapprove of RPG mechanics aware of the genre at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Video games that are routinely criticized and dismissed based almost entirely on the contents of their loading screens:

-Spec Ops
-

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Video games that are routinely criticized and dismissed based almost entirely on the contents of their loading screens:

-Spec Ops
-
Sonic 06. Bloodborne. Final Fantasy VII.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it was the second one that allowed you to control bees, which was really fun, and I would like to control bees and attack with them in other games.

e: bioshock, i mean.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't be cheeky.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Don't be cheeky.
It's no use!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I think it was the second one that allowed you to control bees, which was really fun, and I would like to control bees and attack with them in other games.

e: bioshock, i mean.

There was a bee plasmid in the first one that was kind of a stun+DoT, and it was very very good.

The last act of Bioshock really breaks down compared to how tightly designed the game is up until that point but I have to say that the segment where the game will randomly equip a plasmid you own every two minutes or so that you can't change out of was a ton of fun, and more games should do things like it. Random chance is frowned on in game design but that's because it's usually viewed as only good for drop rates, damage/value ranges, or procedural generation, the three least interesting forms of randomization in games. If a game does incorporate chance in any meaningful way it tends to go the route of the roguelike, which is perfectly fine, but turns it into the defining factor rather than just another mechanic.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there needs to be more wild magic in games, or gambler classes that aren't just "whiff or insta-kill."

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lmfao

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/26/skyforge-wont-tolerate-the-word-p2w/

quote:

Please note that repeated failure to comply shall result in the removal of your forum rights and beta access.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 26, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Number of comments to accusations of communism: 3.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Number of comments to accusations of communism: 3.

i love it, it's so good

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

im going to create a game about playing a game and call it "Second Life". You will play a looser who plays a game called inception, and the only way to peel yourself out of the game will be to bounce back to reality from within the game on the game that your actually playing... dont dig to far into it, your will loose IQ points just thinking about it. think its kickstarter worthy?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drakegrim posted:

im going to create a game about playing a game and call it "Second Life". You will play a looser who plays a game called inception, and the only way to peel yourself out of the game will be to bounce back to reality from within the game on the game that your actually playing... dont dig to far into it, your will loose IQ points just thinking about it. think its kickstarter worthy?
I didn't read this, but yes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

drakegrim posted:

Be sure to add in a lot of f2p hooks and you've got yourself a golden mine

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hello gaming chat thread, I'm a gamer and I need your help. Desperately. I cannot game on my laptop anymore since it's grown a nasty habit of overheating, and now just overheats if I have it on for more then, like 30 minutes. Upon startup it tells me that I need to replace the cooling fan, what's the best way to do this? I can't afford to be out my laptop for a weekend so sending it in is out of the question until school is over and I've cleaned out the inside fairly recently so I imagine that I probably need to just get a new fan. Where can I buy one? What are the risks associated with replacing it myself?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Hello gaming chat thread, I'm a gamer and I need your help. Desperately. I cannot game on my laptop anymore since it's grown a nasty habit of overheating, and now just overheats if I have it on for more then, like 30 minutes. Upon startup it tells me that I need to replace the cooling fan, what's the best way to do this? I can't afford to be out my laptop for a weekend so sending it in is out of the question until school is over and I've cleaned out the inside fairly recently so I imagine that I probably need to just get a new fan. Where can I buy one? What are the risks associated with replacing it myself?

Sell a bunch of narcotics and unregistered firearms and get a desktop

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im no longer probated

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
You should find a serious hardware discussion forum for that question

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

the best way to fix this is to buy a new cooling fan and install that in the place of the not so working one

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Have you tried blowing on the computer or maybe just asking it to calm down?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

Have you tried blowing on the computer or maybe just asking it to calm down?

Many times, many times. It started loving up right in the middle of me playing telltale's the walking dead so I just had to play it in 15 minute increments.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

im no longer probated

I like the way you post

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

buy a ps3 and then install linux on it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Austrian mook posted:

Many times, many times. It started loving up right in the middle of me playing telltale's the walking dead so I just had to play it in 15 minute increments.

you need to replace the fan. it's probably in the most inaccessible possible location so you will need to take apart the entire thing to do this. good luck

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

you could also try getting a lapdesk that has a cooling fan built in, that might help a bit

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
While I'm here, I was watching a stream of some Lisa RPG maker game that got funded through kickstarter and stopped since it looked kinda interesting and I might wanna play it myself. Is it worthwhile or does it stop being interesting past the first 30 minutes.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Austrian mook posted:

It should be easy and you may not even need a new fan. Take your laptop case apart carefully and if you don't know much about computer hardware, just take pictures along the way to remember where things are plugged and connected. Once you get the fan out, clean it with compressed air and clean the board area where it was plugged in. Then test it. If it is really broken after you clean it and have made sure it can spin freely, then buy a new one off amazon, newegg, ebay, etc. Then plug it in, close the laptop back up and go!

PS - make sure the laptop is unplugged and battery is removed as the first step.

edit:

A Spider Covets posted:

you could also try getting a lapdesk that has a cooling fan built in, that might help a bit

This is also a good idea. I have a Lepa lepad V17 for my work laptop which works great.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 26, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Austrian mook posted:

While I'm here, I was watching a stream of some Lisa RPG maker game that got funded through kickstarter and stopped since it looked kinda interesting and I might wanna play it myself. Is it worthwhile or does it stop being interesting past the first 30 minutes.

It is good, actually.

it took me a while to realize it was an actual 'sequel' to another indie game (also called Lisa)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
im you're biggest fan

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

It's one of the better RPGs I've played in several years.

It's only like ten hours long but it's consistently good throughout the whole thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

could i make a neato game using RPG maker. I'm bad at drawing and math.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Bicyclops posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274310/

it's not like you need any talent to get on steam anyway

• Locked thread