Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Broken Machine posted:

This is an amusing post, as if you read the handbook today at a number of points it'll say 'oh btw, if you're interested in running a desktop, you might be interested in PC-BSD which automatically takes care of all this for you if you don't feel like compulsively janitoring your system'. It's run by core members of FreeBSD. When you run uname, it'll show FreeBSD 10.1 release. You can transparently switch between the two just by changing the repository and a few config files. They are in effect the same base system, with PC-BSD giving you a few minor additions to make it nicer for desktop use, and somewhat hardened security, like having up fail2ban and pf preconfigured for you. Also it has some really nice graphical applications for managing things like the ZFS volume manager, that thing is really neat.

Tell us more about your bike shed though. I don't get why people running other systems rip on BSD over poo poo that's not even accurate, I mean why do you even care are you secretly afraid you might be missing out I don't care what system do you run does it work for you that's great, how's the diet are you getting enough vegetables, they say you should eat all the colors of the rainbow you know

lol at this entire post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
2020 the year of (PC-)BSD on the desktop

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

well they could of done it like chrome which you can disable it (right click top bar > use system borders )

That's exactly what they did, but a bunch of people still complained.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So gnome development is driven by who has the most puppet accounts on reddit and twitter?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
well this has nothing to do with gnome but firefox/mozilla

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
lol if u listen to ur users.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

well this has nothing to do with gnome but firefox/mozilla

Yeah, I re-read and you are right. Still major lols that /r/linux has a say in anything.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

ZShakespeare posted:

lol if u listen to ur users.

I listen to the silent majority of the overwhelming minority of people that use linux as a desktop OS>

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I listen to the silent majority of the overwhelming minority of people that use linux as a desktop OS>

I bet they sound a lot like nbsd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
serious question, why do people put so much effort into changing desktop linux when only a handful of people will ever use it and they never have anything nice to say about change?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because maybe they believe in a little thing called freedom??

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jk its autism

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

serious question, why do people put so much effort into changing desktop linux when only a handful of people will ever use it and they never have anything nice to say about change?

Ever hear of battered developer syndrome?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

eschaton posted:

I bet they sound a lot like nbsd

Nbsd doesn't give a poo poo so long as the ui is consistent and gets out of his way using XEmacs or whatever

That's actually a fairly reasonable expectation

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

jk its autism

A literally true answer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I appreciate what the GNOME devs do and I use the result of their efforts every single day.

I'll definitely buy Matthias Clasen a drink or two if I ever run into him irl

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Mr Dog posted:

I appreciate what the GNOME devs do and I use the result of their efforts every single day.

I'll definitely buy Matthias Clasen a drink or two if I ever run into him irl

I appreciate what GTK2 and GTK3 devs did/do, but I don't use the gnome desktop. A window manager is plenty for me and it feels wonderful to not be guided by the direction of an organization, at least entirely.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

pram posted:

jk its autism

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pram posted:

jk its autism

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
upgraded to GNOME 3.16

Wayland support for HiDPI is still somehow even worse than under X11, and libinput routinely rejects motion from the touchpad if there's even a hint of strong pressure or multiple fingers nearby.

Oh well, maybe next year will be the Year Of Wayland On The Linux Desktop!

Also the Shell Toolkit switching from black boxes with white edges to grey boxes with black edges is a real step back in aesthetics imo but whatever. At least X11-based HiDPI actually seems to be flawless now, with the exception of WebkitGTK views in anything other than Epiphany continuing to be blurry crap bout at least the scaling looks correct

Is there any way to override GDK to at least not blur poo poo when it does a 2x scale-up? it looks like crap for UI elements.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 26, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not really going to complain because if I had anything approaching free time then I'd have started contributing patches long ago.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your os sounds like a pos

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Is there any way to override GDK to at least not blur poo poo when it does a 2x scale-up? it looks like crap for UI elements.

I've never understood why (it seems like) every hidpi system uses linear interpolation when scaling up by integer multiples. i'd much rather something look crisp but blocky rather than blurry.

thankfully i use the world's most advanced operating system so eveyrthing but legacy poo poo supports hidpi natively, but still.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

upgraded to GNOME 3.16

Wayland support for HiDPI is still somehow even worse than under X11, and libinput routinely rejects motion from the touchpad if there's even a hint of strong pressure or multiple fingers nearby.

I don't have any HiDPI device to test with. Wayland requires you get a HiDPI model correct and that everything is in logical pixels, while under X11, HiDPI is a giant pile of hacks we've managed to get mostly working OK.

Wayland has a fundamentally cleaner design that lets us do cool & interesting things, but it's going to take time to refactor mutter to be able to support that.

See my back and forth with Owen on https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=744934

What's happening to you with libinput? It seems fine to me on my machine.

Mr Dog posted:

Also the Shell Toolkit switching from black boxes with white edges to grey boxes with black edges is a real step back in aesthetics imo but whatever. At least X11-based HiDPI actually seems to be flawless now, with the exception of WebkitGTK views in anything other than Epiphany continuing to be blurry crap bout at least the scaling looks correct

Yeah, we're aware of Webkit sucking. Fixed in a later WebkitGTK+ release that didn't make 3.16, unfortunately :(

Mr Dog posted:

What is blurry? There shouldn't be any 2x scale-up, all assets should be native.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't have any HiDPI device to test with. Wayland requires you get a HiDPI model correct and that everything is in logical pixels, while under X11, HiDPI is a giant pile of hacks we've managed to get mostly working OK.

Wayland has a fundamentally cleaner design that lets us do cool & interesting things, but it's going to take time to refactor mutter to be able to support that.

See my back and forth with Owen on https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=744934

yeah I've read a whole bunch of Wayland specs and documentation, it's pretty sw8 but unfortunately Mutter's support is still bad.

The combination of Mutter and Gtk+ is getting confused between logical and physical pixels all over the place.

Start a gnome-terminal, the entire goddamn window is blurry, including decorations and shadows. Is this still using loving Xwayland because of gnome-terminal-server?

Move your mouse over the gnome-terminal or indeed any app and the mouse cursor is half as big as it should be.

Start gnome-control-center (a Clutter app? But it still uses Gtk+ for decoration, idgi) and it's crisp and looks fine apart from the aforementioned mouse cursor issue. I think.

Start Epiphany up, it's also crisp and looks fine but its transients (e.g. the completion dropdown) are half as far down the screen as they should be. Strangely the horizontal position and width are both fine so I don't even know what the gently caress, my guess is it's calculating the position of that transient based on the font metrics of the text box it's attached to (as opposed to just the size of the text box? idk) and those font metrics are being calculated using physical pixels instead of logical.

Pull up the Activities overlay, all the window previews are physically twice as big as G-S seems to want them to be, so they overlap and run off the right and bottom of the screen

It is a goddamn mess and at this rate even 3.18 isn't going to work right with Wayland either.

quote:

What's happening to you with libinput? It seems fine to me on my machine.

Uh, my multitouch trackpad doesn't really work. If you're very careful to lightly use one finger then the mouse moves, otherwise it doesn't. I have a TrackPoint that works fine at all times despite this, for a while I thought I was getting constant GPU lockups or something but no it's the multitouch touchpad. I don't use the trackpoint normally because I prefer the MT touchpad.

quote:

What is blurry? There shouldn't be any 2x scale-up, all assets should be native.

WebKit views are not HiDPI capable I guess so they get rendered and then scaled up twofold. Also Clutter scales gnome-terminal (for whatever reason) and I guess Xwayland apps twofold. Which is fine, but that scaling shouldn't blur the image in the process because this looks awful. Just scale everything up to use sharp 2x2 pixels instead. Won't look ideal but it's a drat sight better than blurring the image, didn't anybody apply even the slightest bit of thought to this? If you're using OpenGL then it's literally just a matter of using GL_NEAREST instead of GL_LINEAR for the texture (or whatever Cogl wraps this up to be)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Right now I'm just happy because I found the "turn off all the loving animations" option in gnome-tweak-tool and god drat my desktop is actually super responsive now

I get the theory behind it (that your eye tracks the object while it's moving instead of having to hunt around for its new location) but in practice it's not an issue at all. UI tweens are like transparent consoles: just because all of a sudden you can, doesn't mean you should.

Please do not ever take that option away thx

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
firefox is the only linux browser with good high dpi support

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Start gnome-control-center (a Clutter app? But it still uses Gtk+ for decoration, idgi) and it's crisp and looks fine apart from the aforementioned mouse cursor issue. I think.

g-c-c uses Clutter so it can display a webcam view, and because X11 is amazing, the fastest way to display a YUV stream from a camera is to use OpenGL. So it uses ClutterGst to show a webcam view in one of the settings panels.

It is otherwise a GTK+ application in its entirety.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
this came with kde I guess

Digital painting. Creative Freedom.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

from what i understand krita is actually a nice application

...but what the gently caress is up with that mascot

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

:jackbud:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

"tyson tan"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my chibi dream

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

no please, anything but that

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

there is no between, linux is anime, anime is linux

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

wtf is that b?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dolomite posted:

there is no between, linux is anime, anime is linux

linux is blood?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

from what i understand krita is actually a nice application

...but what the gently caress is up with that mascot
krita and mypaint are seriously the only linux apps i've seen pick up wacom tablet pressure proper without any extra fuckery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i wish i could try krita without installing all the kde garbage