Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hell, with the heavily armored guys, it's worth it to spray them with an SMG to knock them on their back so you can get at the spots the armor can't cover, which is a classy way of saying "shoot them in the taint".

That reminds me of a little thing I thought was funny in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight(I think). You'd have to fight non-boss enemies with lightsabers occasionally; to force you to use your saber to fight them, they'd block shots fired at their head or torso, and dodge shots fired at their limbs. For whatever reason, the groin didn't fall under either of these categories, so you could go right ahead and snipe them in the cojones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Guild Wars 2 actually did character creation right (at least for one of the races, not sure if the others got it) where you could turn the lights off when creating your character. This is so you can check out that the Sylvari race can be bioluminescent!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
In Topico 5 your second in command is named Penultimo.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Agreed. Every character I've made so far has looked about two shades paler in-game than in the character creator. Better hair would also be nice, but it's Bioware so that probably isn't happening.

However, I do love that one of the default Hawke heads is grotesquely fat.

Good old Melon Headed Hawke.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Kalos posted:

drat it, I just got that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kalos posted:

As a native spanish speaker this had me giggling for quite awhile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kalos posted:

He's in 4 as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Soysaucebeast posted:

Good old Melon Headed Hawke.

All those straps across his chest must be holding back a lot of flab. :stonk:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Kalos posted:

Is his mugshot the same as in 4? His features and uniform are based on an Egyptian dictator.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Kalos posted:

I've played the poo poo out of these since 3 and you just blew my drat mind. I'm dumb.

Also the DA:inquisition character maker pissed me off less than the Mass Effect ones, like in 2 when you have to play througha long intro and watch cool cutscenes before you realize how your lip looks retarded when the talking animation starts. This has sucked the coolness out of a few game intros that I'm sure they worked hard on.

Chinaman7000 has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Mar 25, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Internet Wizard posted:

Dragon Age: Origins had blood splatter that would persist into cutscenes as well.

It also automatically removed helmets from characters during the cutscenes and when you were in non-combat areas which was great. It was the first game I remember playing that did that. It was a minor annoyance in older games, but when games started having stuff like facial mo-cap it started to feel like you were missing out on a lot of work from the developers because you had equipped your character with a helmet. Mass Effect 2 was frustrating with that, because I'd spent time building my character's face in the last game, and cosmetic effects would happen to the character based on player actions, but if you wanted to use a helmet instead of the doofy looking visor or go equipment less you couldn't see your face for most of the game.

My favorite thing about DA:I is that there's an option to just hide the drat helmets. Most of the helmets look way oversized for characters, o4 just not interesting. Plus, goddammit, I went through the trouble of creating my fancy character, and I wanna see em!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

10 Beers posted:

My favorite thing about DA:I is that there's an option to just hide the drat helmets. Most of the helmets look way oversized for characters, o4 just not interesting. Plus, goddammit, I went through the trouble of creating my fancy character, and I wanna see em!

This feature actually came from Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2, and it's a great thing as most helmets are doofy looking, even the space helmets.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

10 Beers posted:

I wish there was an option to hide them per character though, rather than across the board. I'm probably one of the few people who likes qunari's dumb facepaint thing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wish there was an option to hide them per character though, rather than across the board. I'm probably one of the few people who likes qunari's dumb facepaint thing.

I wouldn't mind hanging onto Vivienne's horned hennin thing or Cole's dumb hat either. They just sort of seem like kind of an essential part of their design.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I like some character' headgear so much in Inquisition (Vivienne's especially) that I leave helmet display on and just take helmets off the characters I think they look stupid on. Fashion > gear stats

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

effervescible posted:

I like some character' headgear so much in Inquisition (Vivienne's especially) that I leave helmet display on and just take helmets off the characters I think they look stupid on. Fashion > gear stats

Yes. Even on the highest difficulty, crafting can make a suit of armor so good that your hat is, like, 10% of your effectiveness, which is easily sacrificed in the name of looking good.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

effervescible posted:

This is also the proper way to play Dark Souls and similar games.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Everyone complaining about the helmets in Mass Effect 2 were clearly not using the best piece of headgear in that game:

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

homewrecker posted:

Everyone complaining about the helmets in Mass Effect 2 were clearly not using the best piece of headgear in that game:

Those goggles did rule, but weren't they unlocked with a code found on Dr. Pepper bottle caps, or something along those lines?

Also, they obscured your cool evil robot eyes, if you were playing renegade.

Arstan has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Mar 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arstan posted:

Those goggles did rule, but weren't they unlocked with a code found on Dr. Pepper bottle caps, or something along those lines?

I just used the Terminus Armor through the entire game for extra Blackstorm ammo :unsmigghh:.

(For those who haven't played, the Blackstorm launches a micro-singularity that sticks to whatever surface it hits and sucks everything that isn't you into a crushing vortex).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Arstan posted:

I want to say it was released in a DLC package like all the other Pre-Order specific gear was but I can't remember for sure.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Bloodborne's hub area you can occasionally hear faint snoring - the character you use to level up will drift off to asleep every so often, either slumped down in her usual spot or in some nearby flowers, and jolts awake if you talk to her. She'll also respond to the various emotes/gestures you do. If you bow she bows back, if you cheer she'll clap, and if you do one of the weirder emotes she will...tilt her head and basically go :iiam:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, overall I liked playing Max Payne 3. It has the problems that everyone (rightfully) complains about, but the shooting was really god damned good.
And then they ignored everything about how good the shooting feels when making GTA 5. :allears:
Seriously, what the gently caress, at the very least why the poo poo isn't Michael's power shoot-dodging?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Croccers posted:

And then they ignored everything about how good the shooting feels when making GTA 5. :allears:
Seriously, what the gently caress, at the very least why the poo poo isn't Michael's power shoot-dodging?

Michael's power is straight-up Max Payne slow-mo though :confused:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup but shooting peeps is just a pain in general compared to the gunplay of MP3.
It doesnt have that brisk and responsive feel.

And no MP dive shoot.
Thats a con in any game. Every game needs dive shoots.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The guns in Max Payne 3 had some real oomph to them. The way it was balanced around carrying 2 pistols and having a long gun as a temporary measure made everything have to be punchy as hell. The individually modelled bullets also meant that shotguns were actually usable at long range, since the spread was realistic and pellets wouldn't just vanish into the ether like they seemed to in GTA 5.

There's really nothing in gaming more badass than emptying an assault rifle and having Max drop it to pull out two Colt .45's. Then shootdodging, naturally.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think my favourite shooting in any game (aside from some Borderlands 2 guns) is Red Dead Redemption. It REALLY felt responsive, quick, deadly. GTA5 feels close to that, but it's a faster-paced game. The shooting in RDR fit perfectly with the feel of the game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh man RDRs gun stuff.
The way they implemented recoil, the smoke cloud, the reloads, the dead eye system, the progressive gun upgrades, and most of all the sound.

All of those things I love in RDR.

My favorite gun in that game is the semi auto shotgun. Its the proper street sweeping poo poo kicker that its supposed to be in comparison to the lever and pump actions.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Mar 26, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I started playing Vanquish last night without knowing much about it other than ABS (Always Be Sliding). I went through the tutorial with no real problem. When they set me loose, however, I stumbled upon something they don't teach you about. I realized that, when I was in cover, I could press a button to pull out a cigarette and start smoking. When I discovered this, my score was still going up from a previous kill but I didn't realize that at the time and thought I was getting extra points for taunting or something.

Not too long after that, I rocket slid up to a chest-high wall for cover and immediately pulled out a cigarette because I was still playing around with how cool I could make myself look. Much to my surprise, Sam chucked his cigarette up into the air and the two enemies near me were distracted and started shooting at it. I immediately popped up and shot them both in the face.

Then I got an achievement for doing exactly what I just did.

I felt so badass. :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh to be in your shoes again :allears:. If you think you're badass now, you haven't seen anything yet. Oh and if the big Romanovs give you trouble, the Disc Launcher will take their limbs clean off if you can hit a shoulder or knee joint.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh man RDRs gun stuff.
The way they implemented recoil, the smoke cloud, the reloads, the dead eye system, the progressive gun upgrades, and most of all the sound.

All of those things I love in RDR.

My favorite gun in that game is the semi auto shotgun. Its the proper street sweeping poo poo kicker that its supposed to be in comparison to the lever and pump actions.

It's not exactly a "little thing" because it's part of the game's overarching theme, but I still love how you start off with the classic Old West Colt Revolver and slowly upgrade until you're using the brand-spanking new 1911 semiauto pistol to shoot people in duels at high noon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can only do the cigarette thing three times per level but yeah it's totally badass.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

You can only do the cigarette thing three times per level but yeah it's totally badass.

you WHAT

I'm assuming "per level" means "per chapter". Do I only have three cigarettes or do enemies just stop falling for it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

you WHAT

I'm assuming "per level" means "per chapter". Do I only have three cigarettes or do enemies just stop falling for it?

You only have three cigarettes. There's a counter for them on your HUD in the corner.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You only have three cigarettes. There's a counter for them on your HUD in the corner.

Oh, huh. Didn't notice. I haven't gotten super far-- last thing I did was rescue some randos from electric traps and all they did was complain I set them free.

You sure as poo poo do die super quick if you're not in cover in this game, though. Enemy melee attacks especially do a ton of damage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Oh, huh. Didn't notice. I haven't gotten super far-- last thing I did was rescue some randos from electric traps and all they did was complain I set them free.

You sure as poo poo do die super quick if you're not in cover in this game, though. Enemy melee attacks especially do a ton of damage.

So do yours. I mean they'll probably one-hit kill most enemies but take all your boost. The Disk Launcher effectively gives you limited melee that doesn't take 15 seconds to recharge even if it's not as a strong though.

Check to see if the DLC weapons are free or not, I can't remember if they are or I just had a couple of extra points left that let me get them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So Pillars of Eternity finally launched! :woop: One thing that was mentioned is that there was a unique gun to be found in the first area.

It's a thing, all right.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Does it also have Wrathraven's Sword?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

theshim posted:

So Pillars of Eternity finally launched! :woop: One thing that was mentioned is that there was a unique gun to be found in the first area.

It's a thing, all right.

For those of us who are hearing about this game for the first time, is there any more to this beyond "weapon bad"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

For those of us who are hearing about this game for the first time, is there any more to this beyond "weapon bad"?

My guess is that it was a kickstarter donation reward to design a weapon and that is what the person chose? Just a shot in the dark here.

e: Yeah, I just looked the kickstarter up. If you donated $1,000 or more, you could design an epic, high-level weapon, armor, or artifact. I assume someone designed that as their weapon.

Chaitai has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Mar 26, 2015