Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

1stGear posted:

Phone posting or I'd link it but John Oliver did a video on the NCAA recently. You should watch it.

If it is about anything to do with athletes not getting paid: there's also a good one on Netflix that I saw recently. "Schooled: The Price of College Sports"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The NCAA in general is pretty lovely on academics.

The B1G is currently proposing that students not be allowed to play their freshman year - this would be a good rule academically. The NCAA will poo poo all over it and no conferences will adopt it. Which will leave the B1G a two part choice, kill their sports programs or maintain the line.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Star Man posted:

What? The NFL and NBA are not the NCAA.

I think he was talking about the NCAA's quote a couple posts earlier regarding examining the bill and being committed to an inclusive environment, etc.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Boon posted:

The NCAA in general is pretty lovely on academics.

The B1G is currently proposing that students not be allowed to play their freshman year - this would be a good rule academically. The NCAA will poo poo all over it and no conferences will adopt it. Which will leave the B1G a two part choice, kill their sports programs or maintain the line.

Idunno, realistically how many freshmen actually play in the only sport that really matters?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

saintonan posted:

Moving the Colts and Pacers might get Pence's attention.

Wouldn't effect those teams, but hosting the super bowl again is something Indy was working on. The NCAA saying we couldn't host future final fours would be a Real Big Deal though, their statement came up a bit short unfortunately.

The supporters of the law are defending it, saying that 19 states already have such laws and Clinton signed similar.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Idunno, realistically how many freshmen actually play in the only sport that really matters?

A ton.

Why yes I am a Kentucky alum, how could you tell?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

The thing to remember is that basically none of the states have laws against discrimination in business to begin with. So it's kinda like signing a new extra law against littering or something.

I dunno, I mean, there had to have been some kind of case or controversy that prompted the creation of this bill in Indiana. Right, Governor?

Mike Pence posted:

I'm not aware of cases and controversies.

... Oh.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Quidam Viator posted:

...lots of words...

Just wanted to say that this was a great post, and I agree with all of your points outside of thinking that accelerationism will solve anything besides pushing the schadenfreude button hard.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I think he was talking about the NCAA's quote a couple posts earlier regarding examining the bill and being committed to an inclusive environment, etc.

Also the NFL and NBA are superior in every way institutions Full Stop.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

comes along bort posted:

The vast majority of boomers are on the hosed end of things as well.

Who gives a poo poo, honestly. Younger folks universally face a tougher time than they did. I'm not saying there aren't Boomers who are hosed, but I am saying that there's a much greater chance it's their own fault considering they lived through the longest period of sustained middle class prosperity the world has ever known.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Quidam Viator posted:

I'll stop writing now.

Your revolution is never coming. When things have progressed to the point where Something Must Be Done, it's going to be a clique of people who represent everything you hate about America who seize the initiative. They will win without a peep being uttered from the people you claim to hope to energize through calamity, because nothing succeeds like overwhelming superiority of arms and resources.

Even in the fairy-tale world where the left does stage a glorious rising in the face of disaster, you're condemning them to a life of hardship and misery the likes of which the country has not seen since the reactionary backlash of the 60s. In Vineland, Pynchon repeatedly asks us "Who was saved? Who did we save?", and the unspoken answer is "nobody". They all died, or went to jail, or disappeared into remote backwaters. I notice at no point do you seem to make any mention of yourself taking part in this cataclysmic battle for civilization. I presume that's because you, like any vanguardist, imagine yourself as removed from the front lines, rewarded for your foresight with a post at Revolutionary Headquarters. Or maybe you presume you'll already be dead. In which case, what really separates you from the short-sighted feckless people you hate so much?

I suggest converting to some form of millenarian christianity, as a healthier outlet for your misanthropic tendencies.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 26, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Uh, I don't think he mentioned anything about leading a glorious revolution. Maybe you're projecting a bit there? It seemed to be pretty clearly about how we can't do anything to change what's going to happen, so might as well bring it here faster.

kzin602 posted:

'cloud hosted' just means you use a webpage or an application that stores data offsite.

SalesForce is a company that has buildings, those buildings hold employees, those employees travel around the country to work with clients or give sales presentations. Those employees have offices and cubicles and buy things with their paychecks just like any other company. SalesForce has a number of smaller subsidiary companies (both spun off and acquired) and is in growth mode; they may have been consitering setting up a new office in Indiana or investing in a startup that is in Indiana. I'm not sure if you think a 'cloud based' company means that the entire company, employees, servers and all are just roving bands of floating nanomachines.

I don't think you quite get it. The office space is physical, everything else they do really is in The Cloud/Butt, even their PBX systems. Everyone in their office could pick up their laptop and phone and fly to Aruba and be just as effective. I'm guessing you haven't dealt with these people.

This would be in contrast to a factory or other physical plant that has large capital infrastructure that is difficult or impossible to move.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Radbot posted:

Uh, I don't think he mentioned anything about leading a glorious revolution. Maybe you're projecting a bit there? It seemed to be pretty clearly about how we can't do anything to change what's going to happen, so might as well bring it here faster.

He specifically says that he's hoping to usher in the collapse of society so people will push back. "Glorious revolution" is mostly just me being snide, but that doesn't change the fact he's disappeared into an end-times fantasy on par with any fundamentalist church.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

"We're all dying anyway, so here's some rat poison." - Accelerationism in medicine

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Also the NFL and NBA are superior in every way institutions Full Stop.

Which is something you couldn't say before February of 2014, at least for the NBA part.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

"We're all dying anyway, so here's some rat poison." - Accelerationism in medicine
"Maybe the rat poison will allow us to expel our bad humours and live??? It'll probably kill us faster though."

A Winner is Jew posted:

Which is something you couldn't say before February of 2014, at least for the NBA part.
Even a David Stern-led NBA is a far superior organization to the NCAA.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 26, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If you aren't preparing to create conservative mass panic during July 15 - September 15 of this year, you aren't a real accelerationist.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

He specifically says that he's hoping to usher in the collapse of society so people will push back. "Glorious revolution" is mostly just me being snide, but that doesn't change the fact he's disappeared into an end-times fantasy on par with any fundamentalist church.

I don't disagree that that's the only way to spur people into action, however I do disagree with QV that it actually will.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Someone please post something positive and hopeful.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Someone please post something positive and hopeful.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fine intoxicating potables are the best evidence for the existence of a loving God.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Umm Pence also supports a needle exchange.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

I don't disagree that that's the only way to spur people into action, however I do disagree with QV that it actually will.

gently caress him, dude. A collapse in society is basically the worst thing that could happen with nothing even close to a guarantee that it ever recovers. Have you ever been to a place where the government truly doesn't care/can't help the lower/middle classes?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Fine intoxicating potables are the best evidence for the existence of a loving God.
Tasty (and invariably unhealthy) food and great (liver-destroying) booze is proof of a loving god who wants us to come see him as soon as possible.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:frogon:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boon posted:

gently caress him, dude. A collapse in society is basically the worst thing that could happen with nothing even close to a guarantee that it ever recovers. Have you ever been to a place where the government truly doesn't care/can't help the lower/middle classes?

His assumption that things will only get worse flies in the face of human history and how resilient and inventive humans are. Global warming will raise sea levels, we will make levys, it will cause desertification, we will develop new ways to farm.

He's espousing the same stupid bullshit people did after WW1 that humanity is going to kill itself any day now and nothing will get better ever again.

poo poo will change, poo poo is ALREADY changing, so stop whining like a little baby and get involved in your local democratic party officer and do something productive. I don't give a poo poo if you need to hold your nose but accelerationism is just anarchism with a different coat of paint.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

His assumption that things will only get worse flies in the face of human history and how resilient and inventive humans are. Global warming will raise sea levels, we will make levys, it will cause desertification, we will develop new ways to farm.

This might end up being true in the end, but I don't think it's necessarily the best mindset to have about the whole situation.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cnut the Great posted:

This might end up being true in the end, but I don't think it's necessarily the best mindset to have about the whole situation.

Obviously we need to prevent as much damage as possible, but acting like humanity is hosed forever is silly as well.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Sergio Leone knew about the revolutions in Italy, and made the movie Duck you sucker! aka Once upon a time in the revolution

He had this to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3JrFXLrA0

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You know, I've seen lots of stuff about "recall Mike Pence" on facebook over the Indiana discrimination law, but I really feel that this is losing sight of the forest for the single really tall tree. In order for the law to get to his desk it had to go through the Indiana Legislature first. If Indiana residents really want to show that this kind of law is not something that the state stands for then maybe they should make a concerted effort to get those legislators out of office.

Not to mention that a recall would probably be completely ineffectual because the state democratic party will just flub it like Wisconsin did and it isn't a presidential election so the democrat voters aren't going to make the effort to go vote.

Which I think is kind of a sign of the big problem that the democratic party has(they really need a good abbreviation like GOP incidentally), in particular the DNC. They don't push to their voters how important all the small elections and lower positions are. They seem to focus 100% on the presidency while the GOP is buying smaller positions right and left and making bank from it. Look at Iowa. We have voted blue for quite a while in presidential elections but we have 2 GOP senators(one of whom is the most obvious and clear corporate stooge you could have for a senator), a GOP governor, and a GOP controlled state legislature. WTF are the voters in this state doing?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

"gently caress chemo, once the cancer reaches my bones my immune system will finally kick into gear."

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Quidam Viator posted:

You don't have a plan except to phonebank for Hillary and hope you can take back little bits of the rest of the legislature. My plan is to motivate enough people to call the GOP on their game, give them the reins, and become the loudest voice in the democracy; the one who promises in advance that GOP policies are the source of our misery, and that every plan they have means doom, death, and destruction, and that we are here, waiting until you realize the catastrophe, the extinction event you're headed toward, and are ready to radicalize.

It's amusing how you're both an incredible pessimist (WE'RE ALL DOOMED) and optimist (everyone will realize it's the GOP's fault!) at the same time. We aren't going to have the moment of clarity that you're anticipating. People's views harden in the face of conflicting evidence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fans of pointless votes on amendments to a non-binding bill that will never be enacted anyway should tune in to C-SPAN2 right now for the Senate's Vote-a-Rama on the budget.

Hundreds of amendments (currently on the sixteenth) and no time limit!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

Fans of pointless votes on amendments to a non-binding bill that will never be enacted anyway should tune in to C-SPAN2 right now for the Senate's Vote-a-Rama on the budget.

Hundreds of amendments (currently on the sixteenth) and no time limit!

NON STOP ACTION

edit:

but seriously i like reading about congress wasting their time proposing and amending and voting on things that have no significance

baw fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 26, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Senator Coons (D-DE) introduces an amendment that states that if Congress should authorize a war on ISIS it will need to raise taxes to pay for said war.

Senators Corker (R-TN) and Enzi (R-WY) urge a no vote.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

accelerationism is just anarchism with a different coat of paint.

This is unironically unfair to anarchism.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

You know, I've seen lots of stuff about "recall Mike Pence" on facebook over the Indiana discrimination law, but I really feel that this is losing sight of the forest for the single really tall tree. In order for the law to get to his desk it had to go through the Indiana Legislature first. If Indiana residents really want to show that this kind of law is not something that the state stands for then maybe they should make a concerted effort to get those legislators out of office.

Not to mention that a recall would probably be completely ineffectual because the state democratic party will just flub it like Wisconsin did and it isn't a presidential election so the democrat voters aren't going to make the effort to go vote.

Which I think is kind of a sign of the big problem that the democratic party has(they really need a good abbreviation like GOP incidentally), in particular the DNC. They don't push to their voters how important all the small elections and lower positions are. They seem to focus 100% on the presidency while the GOP is buying smaller positions right and left and making bank from it. Look at Iowa. We have voted blue for quite a while in presidential elections but we have 2 GOP senators(one of whom is the most obvious and clear corporate stooge you could have for a senator), a GOP governor, and a GOP controlled state legislature. WTF are the voters in this state doing?

Maybe they need to be called the DFL?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Senator Coons (D-DE) introduces an amendment that states that if Congress should authorize a war on ISIS it will need to raise taxes to pay for said war.

Senators Corker (R-TN) and Enzi (R-WY) urge a no vote.
Cut spending, balance the budget

What, military spending? That doesn't count.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VikingofRock posted:

This is unironically unfair to anarchism.

It isn't though, anarchism is braindead end goal to have, unless you can be absolutely sure everyone will agree with you forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

It isn't though, anarchism is braindead end goal to have, unless you can be absolutely sure everyone will agree with you forever.
There are a lot of different brands of anarchism, some of them a bit more reasonable than others.

• Locked thread