Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

muike posted:

It's The End's Inner Child

And Yuuma shot it all to hell. That's....oddly metaphorical for Try as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

muike posted:

i can't believe this horseshit you're spewing

It's highly likely my eyes were deceiving me, I was pretty sleepy when I saw it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TARDISman posted:

It's highly likely my eyes were deceiving me, I was pretty sleepy when I saw it.

frankly, i'm just offended at the idea my gundam knowledge is less than immaculate

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sharkopath posted:

It's a minor thing but part of the reason I checked out was I just wasn't interested in any of the robot designs, all of them being variants of gundams I don't like from shows I dont like. somebody can feel free to count to prI've me wrong but anecdotally I feel like the first season had more variety in origin and aesthetic of all the customs.

Tryon is cool though.

Actually one of the biggest weird parts about this series is that once we got to the Nationals there were a whole lot of totally original customs. Only one of the Try Fighters is a variant of an existing design, all of the Gunpla Academy are original designs(well Shia's is based on a worker mech, I guess, but massively modified), the triplet team was composed of originals, and the Denial was original. Only Kei, team Jobber Zakus, the Tryon 3, Lucas, and a bunch of no names were actually piloting clear variants of existing designs.

Meanwhile in S1 every single mech was a customized version of an existing unit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kanos posted:

Actually one of the biggest weird parts about this series is that once we got to the Nationals there were a whole lot of totally original customs. Only one of the Try Fighters is a variant of an existing design, all of the Gunpla Academy are original designs(well Shia's is based on a worker mech, I guess, but massively modified), the triplet team was composed of originals, and the Denial was original. Only Kei, team Jobber Zakus, the Tryon 3, Lucas, and a bunch of no names were actually piloting clear variants of existing designs.

You know what's great? I completely forgot Kei existed until I looked him up, then I laughed for a little bit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TARDISman posted:

You know what's great? I completely forgot Kei existed until I looked him up, then I laughed for a little bit.
I had to do it too, oh my God.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

S1's Gunpla were better for it I think, because it made them a bit more grounded in the Battlestar Galactica fashion, if that makes sense ("we used bullets and nukes because people know what kind of damage they do instead of just lasers doing whatever damage the plot demands").

TARDISman posted:

Whaddya know, he is forgettable after all! :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Great episode and fight. Great series, totally lived up to the first season.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd also accept a series about the team of priestesses in the giant Xamel coming back to the forefront after their bull loss against the dumb dragon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'd like a series that went away from the big tournament "I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS' format. I dunno, stuff about running a hobby shop, travelling the world, trying to gain influences from all over to assemble the perfect Gunpla or something. A series about Mao teaching Sakai or poo poo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want a series about Sei Iori, Gunpla Cop

"I invented smuggling illegal Gunpla inside Doms!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Swagger Dagger posted:

I want a series about Sei Iori, Gunpla Cop

"I invented smuggling illegal Gunpla inside Doms!"

"This sick gently caress's smuggling Zoids inside Gundam kit boxes! :stonk:"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos posted:

It takes away the excitement of seeing something like the Wing or the X in action again. Nobody cares about those three SD Gundams that combine into a dragon. But if they had been customs of the Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei SD Gundams? That would've been so much cooler!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

At the rate the seasons are progressing, season 3 will be about a gunpla tournament in the back of a comic book store.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

nuru posted:

At the rate the seasons are progressing, season 3 will be about a gunpla tournament in the back of a comic book store.

But somehow everyone will have a completely scratch-built, original Gunpla.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

boom boom boom posted:

It takes away the excitement of seeing something like the Wing or the X in action again. Nobody cares about those three SD Gundams that combine into a dragon. But if they had been customs of the Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei SD Gundams? That would've been so much cooler!

Hey, the Ducktales Triplets were my favorite Monsters Of The Week!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey, the Ducktales Triplets were my favorite Monsters Of The Week!

The EZ-8 customs were better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

boom boom boom posted:

The EZ-8 customs were better.

Ah yes, Team Dragonar. Cooler concept, worse execution. They did not even have a Dream Colored Chaser.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

muike posted:

TIGER VS D-....Phoenix?

I guess they're going for the four symbols of China? Really only works if you've got the dragon and turtle along with the other two.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, I feel like full custom designs need to be used really sparingly. It's neat to have a couple totally original designs(or designs so radically mutated from the source material that they're almost unrecognizable like Sengoku Astray) to spice things up, but I feel like it's way cooler when we get to see old favorites in action again. The Tryon 3 wouldn't be so appealing to me if it were a totally original super robot-esque design instead of so obviously the ZZ with the serial numbers filed off and a lion bolted to the chest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I guess they're going for the four symbols of China? Really only works if you've got the dragon and turtle along with the other two.

The battles yet to come. :japan:

Seriously though, I think the World Cup probably benefits from a full season. They had a lot of little fights and events that got rushed through in the first season, and you could probably get some decent episodes/kit-worthy one-off customs out of them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The End is actually a gunpla Xenomorph.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

muike posted:

It's The End's Inner Child

"Like I said, kids are cruel, Yuuma... and I'm very in touch with my inner child."

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Well Manicured Man posted:

"Like I said, kids are cruel, Yuuma... and I'm very in touch with my inner child."

" Nanomachines Plavsky Particles,son!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I guess the random fire sword does finally answer what Sei meant by the Build Burning being specced for Reiji's fighting style; the BB is so good at plavsky manipulation it can just straight up make its own weapons.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Build Burning can literally do anything. The pilot just needs to have imagination, to believe in the freedom of gunpla, and to not accept any limits.

That actually sounds really boring.

You mean I can dodge bullets?
You don't have to Sekai.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 26, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
drat we almost got an ending where the female characters weren't thrown away/discarded as dead weight. So long Beyblade Fighters, you gave us the R-Gyagya and the Tryon-3 :kimchi:

edit: and those wonderful Ez-8 customs I can't get enough of!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If the wasted gimmick of Burning is that it is basically Neo of the Matrix, he should've been tailor made as a reference machine. Like a Medabot that can teleport his own parts.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Dang it people, I meant useful from a writing perspective. It's plenty easy to make a character useful in-world, but Sekai wasn't useful for character development or to the series as a story . In fact he was actively detrimental to it. He kept more interesting characters from interacting directly, like how his presence kept Shia and Fumina from having enough screen time together to establish a proper rivalry. His fighting style wasn't engaging because it wasn't clearly defined enough to have tension or feel impressive. If you don't understand what a character's doing well enough, it's hard to care whether they succeed or fail. Sure he helped in-universe, but he ended up being a waste of time and effort that could have been better applied to other characters. Fumina needed more personal growth, Shia needed more interaction that wasn't vaguely defined Newtype romance, and Lady barely got any development at all. His interactions with Yuuki were great, but they were a bright spot in an otherwise uninteresting character. This series needed more Gundam, more Gunpla, and less martial arts magic.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

You know, back during the early episodes when Sekai and Hoshino stomped into the Gunpla building club to retrieve Yuuma from the mantis dude, Sekai looked genuinely ready to gently caress someone up. I think he'd be an excellent candidate for the Gunpla Mafia.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Build Burning can literally do anything. The pilot just needs to have imagination, to believe in the freedom of gunpla, and to not accept any limits.

The real secret was that Sei put the Lambda Driver in the Burning.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
stop making me want sosuke instead of sei, i already wish that was the case

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

muike posted:

Build Fighters Season 3: Kotobukiya vs Master Grade.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's unfair because the koto kits would just slice through the bandai plastic

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Cybuster appears and murders the enemy builder via digital exsanguination

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Frame Arms shows up and they just shakes uncontrollably and fall apart.

KoB
May 1, 2009

muike posted:

Even Al is a better character than Sekai.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's not fair because Al is actually a cool character that isn't just beep boop logic robot, but you don't really get to see much of it in the anime...

If you haven't read FMP sigma or the book where this scene is in, I won't spoil it for you but if you don't tear up before the Levatein's final assault you're a monster

And the climax of the island assault: Computers can't operate the Lambda driver. They can regulate values but not make it work. The interface is destroyed and Sosuke is about to be at the epicenter of a nuclear explosion. After asking Sosuke if Al is a human/person, Sosuke tells him to do what all humans do and decide for himself. Al sustains a lambda driver barrier until rescue arrives. Al is cool.

muike fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 27, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

muike posted:

That's not fair because Al is actually a cool character that isn't just beep boop logic robot, but you don't really get to see much of it in the anime...

If you haven't read FMP sigma or the book where this scene is in, I won't spoil it for you but if you don't tear up before the Levatein's final assault you're a monster

And the climax of the island assault: Computers can't operate the Lambda driver. They can regulate values but not make it work. The interface is destroyed and Sosuke is about to be at the epicenter of a nuclear explosion. After asking Sosuke if Al is a human/person, Sosuke tells him to do what all humans do and decide for himself. Al sustains a lambda driver barrier until rescue arrives. Al is cool.

Yeah I was talking about Sigma, Al is legitimately like my favorite character in that. The ending was so good.

I thought it was that the Lambda Driver is controlled by imagination, which an AI shouldnt be able to do because beep boop logic. But then he does :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He's one of my favorite AI characters, up there with HAL

• Locked thread