Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
F-18E got delayed by Coretex. Dude apparently got a promotion somewhere so its now ont he backburner. Guess its another 2 yrs before we get ED's F/A-18C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress, buildings in DCS not only dont block LoS but also radar's capability to scan and lock onto targets.

Was doing a sweet A-10C strike versus a SA-6 battery, and pop up to 1k feet from 70 feet ASL since its in the center of a city park and my TGP was obstructed totally otherwise, and get locked on and tracked during the ascent, all the way to the deck through several buildings. Manage to "evade" two missiles too that keep on a tracking me at 70 feet, but eventually get away.

I dont get poo poo like this. Buildings only real importance are to physically shield you from missiles (since they have hit boxes) apparnetly, because they stop neither LoS for AI units nor block radar's scans evidently. Only actual physical terrain blocks it, as proven by me breaking LoS by going below the "horizon" of the radar.

Gonna get my shrug on :shrug: to express my disappointment in ED, even though I was kinda expecting it all along.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 22, 2015

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

gently caress, buildings in DCS not only dont block LoS but also radar's capability to scan and lock onto targets.

Was doing a sweet A-10C strike versus a SA-6 battery, and pop up to 1k feet from 70 feet ASL since its in the center of a city park and my TGP was obstructed totally otherwise, and get locked on and tracked during the ascent, all the way to the deck through several buildings. Manage to "evade" two missiles too that keep on a tracking me at 70 feet, but eventually get away.

I dont get poo poo like this. Buildings only real importance are to physically shield you from missiles (since they have hit boxes) apparnetly, because they stop neither LoS for AI units nor block radar's scans evidently. Only actual physical terrain blocks it, as proven by me breaking LoS by going below the "horizon" of the radar.

Gonna get my shrug on :shrug: to express my disappointment in ED, even though I was kinda expecting it all along.

Try being a KA 50 :v:

Not only do you get that but you also get the lazer accurate all seeing BMP and Tank guns.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Il-2 1946 had similar issues with all-seeing AI who flew with perfect trim, engine management and energy management and had perfect accuracy even on the lowest skill settings. But there was a mod to beat them down to more human levels that worked pretty well; I don't suppose something like that could work for DCS?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
theres a workaround I did with the mission editor and triggers. You can set them not to engage at certain situations. Plus theres also the get LOS script that reportedly works (When ED doesn't break it).

Long story short, theres a cumbersome way of coding better AI in the mission editor but most people don't bother.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is the Nevada map going to support LOS calculations for buildings any better do we know?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

theres a workaround I did with the mission editor and triggers. You can set them not to engage at certain situations. Plus theres also the get LOS script that reportedly works (When ED doesn't break it).

Long story short, theres a cumbersome way of coding better AI in the mission editor but most people don't bother.

What'd you have to do? Any links you have I can give to my bud who makes missions?

3 out of 4 landings on the OHP were a success. This one wasnt one of them.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 22, 2015

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
mist.getUnitsLOS

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

This is the main set of tools.

For example in the mission editor: trigger zone centered on unit. On shot, if Ka 50 inside zone and getunitsLOS=true then ROE Red.

Something to that effect.

Its a powerful mission editor in the sense that a sledgehammer is a powerful tool for killing ants.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ohhh I remember this poo poo, used it in a respawn script awhile back. You can use it to also make tanks/BMP's not shoot at jets outright IIRC if they're in a certain area. Think you can even make it explicitly ignore certain units/aircraft categories if I remember right?

I'll get reacquainted with this and hopefully my friend gets into it as well, thanks!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 23, 2015

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Highlights from last Saturday's Falcon session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvW7oolbsWA

EpicPhoton fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 25, 2015

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It's really good if only because it allows you to do what the MiG-21 was designed to do (scramble intercept high-altitude bombers), which none of the missions that come with the MiG-21 let you do, oddly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Geisladisk posted:

It's really good if only because it allows you to do what the MiG-21 was designed to do (scramble intercept high-altitude bombers), which none of the missions that come with the MiG-21 let you do, oddly.

Related: I love missions on MP servers with a flight of A-10s tasked to destroy SA-6/-10 sites without SEAD support from fast-movers.

Snake and 'nape only worked on SA-2s because they have electronics from the fifties, and an engagement envelope like a washing machine fired from the world's biggest rubberband, you obtuse fucks.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
One week until ED reveals DCS 2.0 was just an April Fools joke and that their next module is the Cessna 152.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Snaxx posted:

Cessna 152.

Would buy if it came with hellfire missiles

simble
May 11, 2004

It's a 208 airframe (I think), but hell yeah!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

E: Oh dammit.... But yeah, 208

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
PSA: Steam is having a DCS weekend sale. Most modules are 70% off. Steam keys will activate on the ED standalone. Link.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I bought the Mig-21 last week thinking "eh, it won't go on sale anytime soon" :arghfist::saddowns:

Still, I got to pick up FC3, ground forces and the sabre.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I wanna shoot down an F-15 with a BF-109 on a grognard hardcore server.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
People who use Opentrack: I currently have a Cap-Style setup. Would I get more accurate tracking by switching to the clip style?

I've had issues with OT losing my position if it loses sight of an LED, and I have to reset the whole thing, or cover all the LEDs and reveal them and then it figures itself out. I've also had issues getting yaw to not move my entire head. I'm also unable to use the latest version because the Z compensation option seems to be missing.

Would any/all of these issues be reduced/eliminated by switching to a clip-style setup?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Sauer posted:

I wanna shoot down an F-15 with a BF-109 on a grognard hardcore server.

Probably doable given the number of F-15's I've seen take off and never put their gear up. Also, one of the grog DCS regulars by the name of Hadwell has done this with an F86.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Should I get the WW2 planes while they're on sale, or will I stop caring about them the moment IL-2:BoS goes on sale?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

EpicPhoton posted:

People who use Opentrack: I currently have a Cap-Style setup. Would I get more accurate tracking by switching to the clip style?

I've had issues with OT losing my position if it loses sight of an LED, and I have to reset the whole thing, or cover all the LEDs and reveal them and then it figures itself out. I've also had issues getting yaw to not move my entire head. I'm also unable to use the latest version because the Z compensation option seems to be missing.

Would any/all of these issues be reduced/eliminated by switching to a clip-style setup?
What do you mean by losing your position? If it's resetting your in-game position to the zero point when it loses an LED, make sure "Dynamic pose resolution" is disabled in the PointTracker settings. If it's just wigging out, make sure you've got your threshold and hysteresis settings properly set for your camera/environment so you're not picking up random IR noise from a window or something.

You can keep it from moving your entire head during yaw by going into the PointTracker model settings, hitting the "toggle calibration" button, looking up/down/left/right a few times and then hitting the button again.

Z compensation is right there on the mapping screen in 2.3rc9.

As long as all the LEDs are visible I don't think it should make much of a difference between a clip and cap setup.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Shine posted:

Should I get the WW2 planes while they're on sale, or will I stop caring about them the moment IL-2:BoS goes on sale?

Depends,

DCS is late war and the aircraft are better modelled.

HOWEVER! there are no campaigns or maps to speak of so you are basically buying it to flight sim and do multiplayer online combat. Scaling in DCS sucks a bag of dicks so you are limited to the servers that run labels. Supposedly there is a server that has fixed it to some extent. Lots of content/maps for WWII are scheduled for release sometime before the second coming of Christ (Maybe, if they get around to it).

BOS is like Rise of flight in WWII, going more for the IL2/Flaming Cliffs sim light player. More campaign, more focus on missions. Flight/aircraft model is meh. Not terrible but nothing to write home about.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Flight/aircraft model is meh.

I'd argue about this. The FMs in BoS are pretty awesome in my opinion.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Sauer posted:

To be completely honest, I've not spent enough time in BOS to really form a good opinion.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
They will make you hate flying those aircraft in War Thunder though. Everything in WT is a slow climbing, over heating piece of poo poo by comparison.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Sauer posted:

They will make you hate flying those aircraft in War Thunder though. Everything in WT is a slow climbing, over heating piece of poo poo by comparison.

^^ This, I'm loving glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The BF-109s in WT fly like utter pigs :(

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I haven't played with any of the DCS WWII aircraft, but no DCS flight model has every really impressed me. The BoS flight model is pretty awesome, and very obviously better than WT, 1946, etc.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Buying WW-II planes for DCS is one step above doing the same for FSX. Great to fly around in and appreciate how awesome these planes are, but you're lacking the ancillary stuff to recreate an authentic WW-II combat environment. IL-2 BOS looks great and runs much better than DCS. It's kind of limited in maps and plane set right now, but the devs are working on creating (and selling to you) more content.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

Do you go?
Can't make it to Falcon, but if anyone has been enjoying the couple of highlight videos I've done, and wants to give me some clips from today's, feel free.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Aight, I'll just wait for BoS to go on sale again. In the meantime, War Thunder is fine.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No falcon today. I am way too sick to get up.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The best part of BoS's rather accurate flight model is the rather accurate cockpits. Wanna guess what my current manifold pressure is? Wanna know where the compass is?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Anyone up for Falcon still?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

The best part of BoS's rather accurate flight model is the rather accurate cockpits. Wanna guess what my current manifold pressure is? Wanna know where the compass is?

I thought you had TrackIR.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yeah I do. You can see the upper gauges without issue by scooting up a little bit, but forget the compass. The compass is the gunsight's bottom bitch.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Sauer posted:

BoS is easily the best fight model currently available for a WWII game.

The difference between flying a 109/190 in DCS vs BoS is that you have to flick a few switches on and pump a few lil' handles before starting your plane. Meanwhile in BoS, you just press E and watch the ghost in your cockpit do all of that for you which takes like 10 seconds. Both games model stalling/slipping in a way that is fun so I really don't care to compare the two in this way. I've heard people say that RoF/BoS overexaggerates slips but I really doubt these people have flown the Su-27 module before if they're serious about that.

Flight wise DCS can be noticeably clunky especially when transitioning from air to the ground:

Landing a plane in BoS and RoF is great.This is kind of an issue when planes from this Era have to land frequently either to reload or from being crippled and shot down.

DCS "feels" better in terms of how you can kill your engine due to the kind of ridiculous over stressing you can pull in videogames... but BoS and (even War Thunder really) better handle how most people imagine a structurally damaged plane should feel when in the air. Also, you don't even really have to aim your guns in DCS beyond pointing them in a general direction. If your bullets fly anywhere near your target it will seemingly magnetize themselves to it. You may sometimes have to hit your target a silly number of times in BoS (and again even War Thunder) but they feel more like you're aiming guns made by devs that have actually shot a MG in real life.

Many players often point to DCS as the standard in realism for their airplane videogames and I think that is true in terms of manual engine management and controls. But the moment their planes take damage this is kind of thrown out the window for older prop planes and PVPing with vehicles from this era is going to involve a lot of glancing blows that aren't going to instagib the victim. The game engine is far better suited for more modern jets where HUD assistance and splash damage are more common. It's quite obviously focused on being an educational tool for practicing procedures more so than simply shooting at other nerds and it doesn't surprise me that some modules are supposedly based off of actual training software originally used by military.

Thief fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Playing A10c, I accidentally dropped two CBU-105s on a cluster of ~10 artilleries and supply trucks, and my game crashed the moment they exploded. :xd: