Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Demiurge4 posted:

Anthony being her father is also important because, as a minor, he holds actual authority over her. The school hasn't been very controlling of her thus far but Anthony could just say "no more forest visits" and that's the end of that. With the court she's had room to negotiate and we may very well see him come between her and her role as medium, it may even be that which brought him back into her life.
Of course that could be why we've got gimmick halls of residence this year - Annie might not be staying in them past the end of this lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

But when have we not had gimmick halls of residence?

Have to give Tom some :madprops: for creating a work that has provoked so much serious discussion about difficult topics. The maturity shown in the writing of a comic about kids is truly impressive

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Anthony Carver is a giant dick and there is not one shred of evidence that he has done a single nice thing for anyone since Surma died other than Donny's vague hope that he phoned Annie for a reason. This is a terrible way to reintroduce yourself to your daughter after two years, especially the bit where you tell her that your physical wellbeing (losing a loving hand) is none of her business, and frankly it doesn't matter if he has some nice motivations about saving her life or whatever, he is still being a turdblossom.

If you abandon your daughter for some super secret mission right after her mother dies and don't come back for multiple years, then when you return you are nice to her and probably say "sorry". NOT "fuckin ell ducky you look like a right slapper wash that shite orf" "o-ok - omg ur hand are you ok" "PISS OFF YOU PRYING STRUMPET"

EDIT: to clarify, there is nothing he can do or reveal to make me look past how he's treating Annie and go "oh well that was okay in retrospect". Not saying "I can never see him a a good person" but this will always have been a lovely way to behave.

Freudian fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 26, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Have we ever seen anyone's grandparents in this comic? or at least have them mentioned? I can't recall now but Kat spent some time with hers on vacation maybe? Well Antimony couldn't have met Surma's mom for obvious reasons, but I wonder about Surma's dad, or Anthony's parents. Were they ultraspergs like their son, or were they baffled by him?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fangz and FriedChicken are the rational ones on this actually. People will do a lot to overlook the lovely behavior of people who are part of the tribe, whatever form that tribe might take.

Fangz literally drew a parallel between Anthony and Adolf Hitler.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

YF-23 posted:

A) Anthony is trying to "cure" Antimony of being a fire elemental. Uncomfortably eugenic!
B) Much like noted Nazi Dr Strangelove, he has issues with his hands.
C) Anthony and Renard did not get along. Hitler killed his dog.

At some point Anthony will demand Zimmy (Danzig) from Gamma (Poland), only to be stopped by Vriska (Vriska).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

D) Both of them did nothing wrong

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

BONES CURE DAUGHTERS

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

YF-23 posted:

In that they both got married. My point was that even evil people like Hitler got married. Jesus Christ.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It is a myeloma analogy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fangz posted:

In that they both got married. My point was that even evil people like Hitler got married. Jesus Christ.

Yes, it was a "know who else got married? :godwin:" post made unironically.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is no possible scenario that makes what Anthony has done not abusive. None. YF's ridiculous "but what if this" lines of thought do not make what he did not abusive, they give him reasons for his abusive behavior. People are (for the most part) not saying that Anthony's been doing this for shits and giggles, just that it doesn't matter whatever reason he has that made him see fit to do what he's done, he is still an abusive father who has horribly hosed up Annie's psyche. Which, unlike what some people have said, is actually in the themes of the comic. We've already seen Diego, and Reynardine, and others do terrible, unjustifiable things in the name of love. At this point the question isn't really if that's the case with Anthony, it's a matter of learning the specifics of why he's done it all, and the full measure of what he's done; I have a feeling we're in for some more unpleasant revelations before this is over.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blackheart posted:

Hahahahaha so it -was- "no, gently caress you, dad :argh:" all along

holy poo poo, gently caress off

that was entirely uncalled for

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I am not gonna respond to YF's insane troll logic any more. I can only hope he doesn't apply those sentiments in real life.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

YF-23 posted:

No it wasn't you weirdo. I honestly can't tell if this is an intentional act or you really are some kind of autistic robot that can't understand human relationships.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

There is no possible scenario that makes what Anthony has done not abusive. None. YF's ridiculous "but what if this" lines of thought do not make what he did not abusive, they give him reasons for his abusive behavior. People are (for the most part) not saying that Anthony's been doing this for shits and giggles, just that it doesn't matter whatever reason he has that made him see fit to do what he's done, he is still an abusive father who has horribly hosed up Annie's psyche. Which, unlike what some people have said, is actually in the themes of the comic. We've already seen Diego, and Reynardine, and others do terrible, unjustifiable things in the name of love. At this point the question isn't really if that's the case with Anthony, it's a matter of learning the specifics of why he's done it all, and the full measure of what he's done; I have a feeling we're in for some more unpleasant revelations before this is over.

There's a fair amount of people that say Anthony is being purposefully spiteful towards Antimony because he hates her or perceives her as an obstacle to a selfish goal like reviving Surma.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Roland Jones posted:

I just went back to the psychopomp story under the tree, and even way back then, in the hospital, Annie was brow beaten into not calling him "dad" but "da---father". At like 4 or whatever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

But have you guys considered that he is maybe doing a bad thing here? I just thought that this might be a new idea to suggest in this conversation.

Edit: bad, that is, in the sense of not being nice, or deserving of censure.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Cat Mattress posted:

The only people we've seen talking about Tony Tons in the comic are Jimmy Jims (strong dislike), Donny Dons (like with caveat), Jonesy Jones (cold dislike), Renny Rens (strong dislike), and Surmy Surms (like with caveat). In addition, Katty Kats hates him.

Having forgotten it, where did Jones talk about Bad Dad 2015?

Also chalk me up as hoping this isn't leading to some cliche redemption thing or him being misunderstood. Sometimes poo poo parents are just poo poo parents the end.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Having forgotten it, where did Jones talk about Bad Dad 2015?

Also chalk me up as hoping this isn't leading to some cliche redemption thing or him being misunderstood. Sometimes poo poo parents are just poo poo parents the end.

Honestly leaving it as "nope he was as cartoonishly evil as he was presented" would be even worse. It's being hammered in so much that it's obvious there is some sort of twist.

e: the jones moment was linked a page or two ago, it was more or less after Antimony met her I think but it was also Jones messing with her.

Bongo Bill posted:

But have you guys considered that he is maybe doing a bad thing here? I just thought that this might be a new idea to suggest in this conversation.

Edit: bad, that is, in the sense of not being nice, or deserving of censure.

Hmm... go on...

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm going with "there's way more complexity to this person than we've seen, but none of it will truly excuse his harmful actions, except in the eyes of his daughter, until she eventually gets fed up with him somehow". I'm putting my money on the space that says that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I also think Antimony will end up knowing her father a lot more, and probably viewing him quite differently but she will not stop loving him like many suggest.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, even if Annie has a falling out with her father, she'll still love him I'm sure. But hopefully she'll develop a healthier understanding or distance of some kind, so that he can't destroy her with a single phone call like what happened in Microsat 5.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

The Mentalizer posted:

No it wasn't you weirdo. I honestly can't tell if this is an intentional act or you really are some kind of autistic robot that can't understand human relationships.
Maybe it''s Anthony's forum account. :v:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Did Surma's friends ever visit her in the hospital while she was dying? From Kat's mom's reaction it seems almost like she might not have known Surma was dead until she received news that Annie would be coming to Gunnerkrigg.

I just remembered that in Microsat 5 they sent up scalpel blades. I wonder if Anthony cut his own hand open as some part of the ritual that was trying to restrain the fire elemental?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But did Tony somehow change his stance on ignoring etheric/magical stuff? Remember that the whole bone arm thing is just how Zimmy saw it through her creep-o-vison, Anthony might have been working something entirely technological, not anything ritualistic.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

YF-23 posted:

He's also right, unless you are now arguing that Hitler did not get married. He was literally just saying that they were both married individual, pointing out that individuals from all walks of life get married, and it isn't a major determinant of moral standings. Trying to apply Godwin's law when the comparisons are appropriate is, in of itself, pretty fallacious and unfortunate in of itself.

The Red Queen posted:

Did Surma's friends ever visit her in the hospital while she was dying? From Kat's mom's reaction it seems almost like she might not have known Surma was dead until she received news that Annie would be coming to Gunnerkrigg.

I don't think anybody really know where Anthony and Surma had gone!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Antony's a doctor, if he wanted scalpels he could get them. Most likely he needed the scalpels on the satellite and that's not something he could do himself. Unless he didn't need to have them sent at all and he wanted to involve Annie in the whole process for emotional reasons.

Dammerung posted:

He's also right, unless you are now arguing that Hitler did not get married. He was literally just saying that they were both married individual, pointing out that individuals from all walks of life get married, and it isn't a major determinant of moral standings. Trying to apply Godwin's law when the comparisons are appropriate is, in of itself, pretty fallacious and unfortunate in of itself.

Yes, of course Hitler got married. He got married to Eva Braun, and I am pretty sure that he was friends with a lot of people like Himmler and Goebbels. It's a nonsense point to make unless it was meant to reflect badly less on Anthony and more on his friends and on Surma. The point that the old boys' club was friends with Anthony is supposed to reflect well on Anthony because those are characters we trust and who we know are good people, not fuckin' nazis.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 26, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's difficult to think of any scenario where Anthony isn't deeply abusive, except the one where Antimony is allergic to parental love (and also patient consent) and must be kept away from them at all costs or explode.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I suppose in her case that could be literal

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anthony is obviously abusive, but I'm interested in whether he's trying to be. My running assumption is that he genuinely does care about Annie, but can't show it. And in fact the only ways he's able to reach out to her end up causing her more pain than if he hadn't tried in the first place. A hedgehog's dilemma.

On the other hand, we do know that he does open up to people. He seemed to have a pretty normal friendship with Donald behind closed doors. It would make sense for him to have been the same with Surma, seeing as they managed to conceive a child and all, though we don't know anything about their relationship. So why can't he open himself up to Annie? Or is it that he simply won't?

Of Tony's old gang, I think Anja is the only one who hasn't expressed an opinion on him, directly or not. Donald stood up for him to Annie (and was his best friend generally), Jimmy never got along with him (even more so once he married Surma and she consequently died), Brinnie wanted to date him, Surma actually did. Jones expresses no opinion as ever. It's hard to say how well Reynard knew him, if they ever spoke personally at all, though he also has the jealousy-over-Surma thing.
Either way, I'd like to see what Anja thinks.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Tenebrais posted:

Of Tony's old gang, I think Anja is the only one who hasn't expressed an opinion on him, directly or not. Donald stood up for him to Annie (and was his best friend generally), Jimmy never got along with him (even more so once he married Surma and she consequently died), Brinnie wanted to date him, Surma actually did. Jones expresses no opinion as ever. It's hard to say how well Reynard knew him, if they ever spoke personally at all, though he also has the jealousy-over-Surma thing.
Either way, I'd like to see what Anja thinks.

Bam.

EDIT: Ok, well re-reading it she seems to be just stating the facts.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

life_source posted:

Bam.

EDIT: Ok, well re-reading it she seems to be just stating the facts.

Cold hard fact: Anthony's an rear end in a top hat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's interesting that Donald's version of Anthony was "aggressively kept up a public facade of emotionlessness that he was unable to drop, except in private."

How does that compare to the present-day Anthony, who is "aggressively and publicly cruel, ??? in private"?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cat Mattress posted:

The only people we've seen talking about Tony Tons in the comic are ... Jonesy Jones (cold dislike)....

It's important to note that Jones doesn't like or dislike Anthony, or most anybody at all - she doesn't feel emotions the way you or I do.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's important to note that Jones doesn't like or dislike Anthony, or most anybody at all - she doesn't feel emotions the way you or I do.

Yeah, I don't believe her.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Faux Mulder posted:

Yeah, I don't believe her.

I don't either: notice I didn't say that she was completely unemotional, or that she had feelings for nobody. The fact that she attaches herself to somebody once a century proves that she is capable of feeling emotions towards people. I'm just saying that her emotions are incredibly muted compared to those of normal humans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I still ascribe to the theory that she was formed with standard human emotions but spending 4.5 billion years utterly alone has sent her a bit funny.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pththya-lyi posted:

I don't either: notice I didn't say that she was completely unemotional, or that she had feelings for nobody. The fact that she attaches herself to somebody once a century proves that she is capable of feeling emotions towards people. I'm just saying that her emotions are incredibly muted compared to those of normal humans.

Yeah, if she really had no emotions why would she bother spending so much time socializing with humans? She clearly enjoys companionship on some level, it's just that she isn't as passionate as most people are and she's self-conscious about it.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

She clearly has intention. That's not the same thing as emotion.