Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except he found a way to make the inevitable happen without sacrificing people/the world. Sagara didn't care as long as the forest/his species could continue to live, he had no real goal and didn't really care how it happened. Kouta won in the end not because he got the power, but because he saved his home.

Kouta did nothing wrong.

Wouldn't Kamen Rider Black have been great if he just accepted the inevitable and became the next Creation King and used that power for his own purposes instead of stopping the cycle entirely and destroying the system that demands it to be inevitable, which he had been seeking to do the entire time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I am still waiting on a batch of Gaim and I don't think it's ever coming and that makes me sad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There isn't much difference in "breaking the cycle" and "making the cycle completely unharmful". Though with Kouta in charge, he might have broken it anyway, seeing as he's in complete control of the forest.

Burkion posted:

Wouldn't Kamen Rider Black have been great if he just accepted the inevitable and became the next Creation King and used that power for his own purposes instead of stopping the cycle entirely and destroying the system that demands it to be inevitable, which he had been seeking to do the entire time?

Maybe? I know basically nothing about Black aside from hazing memories of stuff people have posted about it, but like, that doesn't sound wrong on it's face. Maybe being Creation King demands the sacrifice of infants but that isn't the case with what happened in Gaim.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Stallion Cabana posted:

I am still waiting on a batch of Gaim and I don't think it's ever coming and that makes me sad.

Might not be done until the Blu-Ray rips are done.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

There isn't much difference in "breaking the cycle" and "making the cycle completely unharmful". Though with Kouta in charge, he might have broken it anyway, seeing as he's in complete control of the forest.

Maybe? I know basically nothing about Black aside from hazing memories of stuff people have posted about it, but like, that doesn't sound wrong on it's face. Maybe being Creation King demands the sacrifice of infants but that isn't the case with what happened in Gaim.

Here's why that's bullshit. The Gaim part, not the Black part, you already said you don't know much about that series and I'm not that kind of rear end in a top hat.

Kouta did jackshit to solve things in the long term. He saved Earth, yes- but the cycle will continue with future planets/dimensions. The forest will continue to spread beyond his control as it has and as it will, seeking out intelligent life and corrupting and damning it to the same patterns.

We saw only two realities the forest invaded. Both went to utter poo poo because of it, only Kouta took responsibility for one and mitigated SOME of the damage and kept the local population from dying out- the other one is a dead world because its Kouta did not.

Sagara made it very clear that the forest would be continuing to spread and would not be stopping.

So ace job there Kouta. Now more people like you can suffer, it just won't be on your turf.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

Here's why that's bullshit. The Gaim part, not the Black part, you already said you don't know much about that series and I'm not that kind of rear end in a top hat.

Kouta did jackshit to solve things in the long term. He saved Earth, yes- but the cycle will continue with future planets/dimensions. The forest will continue to spread beyond his control as it has and as it will, seeking out intelligent life and corrupting and damning it to the same patterns.

We saw only two realities the forest invaded. Both went to utter poo poo because of it, only Kouta took responsibility for one and mitigated SOME of the damage and kept the local population from dying out- the other one is a dead world because its Kouta did not.

Sagara made it very clear that the forest would be continuing to spread and would not be stopping.

So ace job there Kouta. Now more people like you can suffer, it just won't be on your turf.
Dammit, now I want to see a Gaim retread with Hino "Martyr Complex" Eiji basically getting it beaten into him that "I'll sacrifice myself for the world's sake" is not the go-to first option for normal, healthy people.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The reference to Eiji made me remember that I'm sad about the new Movie War because it looks like all the other Kamen Riders except Drive are just like the enforcers for the new Shocker Future instead of fighting against it, which is kind of sad.

I would have liked to see Ich-Ni-Go Core Medals, like someone said.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

They had no way of destroying it(ignoring out of series stuff like "Why not just call up a bunch of sentai and have their mechs go to town on it?") so putting fruit samurai Jesus in charge is basically the best option. What's stopping him from not being a massive dick and just telling the next guys how to painlessly replace him and do the exact same thing he did?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

They had no way of destroying it(ignoring out of series stuff like "Why not just call up a bunch of sentai and have their mechs go to town on it?") so putting fruit samurai Jesus in charge is basically the best option. What's stopping him from not being a massive dick and just telling the next guys how to painlessly replace him and do the exact same thing he did?

Because he would have no reason to know that the forest has invaded another universe.

Remember, the Overlords didn't know about it until the invasion was already WELL under way and a lot of people died.

And he's a God drat Kamen Rider- there is always a way to fight the system and defeat oppression. You don't join the system to try to mitigate the damage, you dismantle it completely no matter what it costs you.

Now if the Forest never got a physical incarnation and was left as a purely neutral force, you'd have a point- but it didn't and it wasn't. It was Sagara, meaning it could think, rationalize, and plan. Meaning it could be defeated.

Sagara found some poor idiot who wanted to defeat the system, and twisted and lead him into just accepting it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Because he would have no reason to know that the forest has invaded another universe.

Remember, the Overlords didn't know about it until the invasion was already WELL under way and a lot of people died.

And he's a God drat Kamen Rider- there is always a way to fight the system and defeat oppression. You don't join the system to try to mitigate the damage, you dismantle it completely no matter what it costs you.

Alright, I can agree there. Hmm...that does change my opinion a lot. I totally believe in heroes never compromising. It's kind of open ended, though, and I've just always assumed Kouta will be able to stop it from going down like that. There'll probably be a lot of new information in the upcoming movie(s?).

Burkion posted:

Now if the Forest never got a physical incarnation and was left as a purely neutral force, you'd have a point- but it didn't and it wasn't. It was Sagara, meaning it could think, rationalize, and plan. Meaning it could be defeated.

.I always saw Sagara more as a representation of a hive mind, like just an avatar of a force of nature, not really his own person.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

No because nothing could have made Kamen Rider Black better when 90% of the show was terrible terrible filler.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The thing about the forest is that it has no real malicious intent. It just wants to push civilizations to evolve. What those civilizations do because of that isn't it's fault.

The people of the world they call Helheim broke down and began to fight over their new-found power. Kouta took away the evolved beings and the portal to Helheim and started a new world in order to keep the events of Helheim from repeating on Earth.

And I'm pretty sure Sagara doesn't actually exist. He's just a representation of the forest's will. Beating him up wouldn't do anything to stop the forest from doing what it does.

:goonsay:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

No because nothing could have made Kamen Rider Black better when 90% of the show was terrible terrible filler.
drat you, Gorgom! drat you, ZenMasterBullshit Mutant!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zero_Tactility posted:

drat you, Gorgom! drat you, ZenMasterBullshit Mutant!

*Kid lazily plays with pin wheel*

This is a ZenMasterBullshit plot!

*Scampers off in a random direction*

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Guys if you cut out over half the show's episodes Kamen Rider Kiva actually has a very tightly paced, nuanced, and subtle plot and further more *weeps into Liveman diorama*

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
So here's some scans and stuff. Using spoilertext just to be safe.

The Signal Axe, the weapon of Chase's new Kamen Rider form, Kamen Rider Chaser.

The Shift Tridoron Shift Car, which lets Drive transform into, well, Shift Tridoron.

The Red and Blue Ride Boosters, which can attach to the Tridoron to grant it flight capabilities, as well as the Type Speed Prototype Shift Car.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Guys if you cut out over half the show's episodes Kamen Rider Kiva actually has a very tightly paced, nuanced, and subtle plot and further more *weeps into Liveman diorama*

I would almost watch a Kiva that was in chronological order.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I watched and enjoyed Kiva unironically :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just wanna know if Gou's gonna be okay. :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That's a lie and you know it.

If you chop up Kiva so that it flows chronologically you get half of a decent show, and then a lovely awful thing.

Also the forest is malicious by the fact that it is truly sentient. It can take the form of a humanoid and use human reasoning and logic. It actively deceives and lies and seeks only the best outcome for itself. Then there's how it twisted The Woman At The Beginning's words so that she fucks things up from the get go, against what she wanted.

Totally a natural thing, that!

As natural as Shocker or Gorgom or the Grongi.

Kamen Rider Black has issues, I will never say otherwise. The filler can be a problem if you don't like MOTW stuff, which I have held to from day one. I love MOTW crap, so it doesn't bother me. I offered the Black story guide for those who want to skip past the filler.

And it does not invalidate the fact that both stories were very similar especially at the end, only where Kouta grabbed the fruit and became the next stooge for the Forest, Kotaro said screw it all and destroyed the system entirely because it is inherently lovely.

Even if Kotaro took up the mantle of the Creation King and some how kept his identity, which is doubtful considering, in the end he would have to repeat the same suffering he and his loved ones went through when its time for the next Creation King to step up,

Just like Kouta is going to have to repeat the same suffering that gave him his powers, even if he eases the transition, it will still go on past him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I would almost watch a Kiva that was in chronological order.

That fan edit exists and it's called Kamen Rider IXA iirc. It's pretty okay until the Kiva related things start happening, basically.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Gross. Gonna put you in the friendship locker.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 25, 2015

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I just wanna know if Gou's gonna be okay. :(

Same. :ohdear:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's such a wast of so many good elements mired by complete bullshit.

Burkion posted:

That's a lie and you know it.

If you chop up Kiva so that it flows chronologically you get half of a decent show, and then a lovely awful thing.

This is completely true. You can't improve on something so flawed to the core with minor tweaks.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm still waiting on Aesir to do the Gaim summer movie and I don't think it's ever coming and that makes me sad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cernunnos posted:

And I'm pretty sure Sagara doesn't actually exist. He's just a representation of the forest's will. Beating him up wouldn't do anything to stop the forest from doing what it does.

No but see in my headcanon which is actually canon in the show as well him doing a Rider Kick on Sagara would totally have destroyed the forest in every universe because.

And what was up with the ending to Blade? Kenzaki didn't even try to destroy the thing that was controlling the Battle Royale, what a dumb and stupid ending! Yeah I know some people hate Blade's ending too, I'm not one of them, I thought it was great.

point of return posted:

I'm still waiting on Aesir to do the Gaim summer movie and I don't think it's ever coming and that makes me sad.

The fact that it ended up having no impact on the series might have been a factor. Come to think of it, ToQger's movie didn't have any impact on the series either, usually there's at least one "remember the movie?" episode in Super Sentai but ToQger didn't have one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The fact that it ended up having no impact on the series might have been a factor. Come to think of it, ToQger's movie didn't have any impact on the series either, usually there's at least one "remember the movie?" episode in Super Sentai but ToQger didn't have one.
The ToQ vs Kyoryu movie had a call out to it's movie, but nothing else in the series did

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Pink dressed up as whats-her-name (never watched the ToQ movie) for two seconds as a regular part of the end credits. Thats about it, I guess.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Cliff Racer posted:

Pink dressed up as whats-her-name (never watched the ToQ movie) for two seconds as a regular part of the end credits. Thats about it, I guess.

Not to be that guy but, pretty sure that's just a standard conductor costume so...

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

deadly_pudding posted:

I kinda liked the Decade/Shinkenger one :shobon:

The Decade/Shinkenger crossover got me into tokusatsu. Oh that belt voice :allears:

Judging from that, it's look like we'll still have Mach and Chaser?

V-Men fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 26, 2015

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
The 6th Ranger, Rawhide Kobayashi, has been leaked:
http://shurikensentai.tumblr.com/post/114680130984/introducing-kinji-yukigawa-a-young-man-from

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rodeomaru. Bison King Buggy. BisonKing.

This train has no brakes.

I really hope he uses gratuitous English when he fights.

Hopefully Takaharu's actor gets better at this whole acting thing at some point too.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I'm still sad it's not Takaharu's dad but I guess I can settle for Literally A Cowboy

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Do you think they brainstormed this at Toei? Like "What's literally the most American thing we can think of to put in our Japanese Ninja show?" Because a Cowboy with burger morpher and Rodeo themed giant robot is really top tier ridiculous and I love it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not really surprised at all by that. Having a Japanese foreigner seemed pretty obvious and so did his having no real prior relation to the main team. I'm less sure how he'll gel with the team. Typically recent sixth rangers seem to fit right in but this time the core five are a family so how will that go? I guess he'll probably get one of the girls this time, sorry Uchi.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The sixth for Magiranger fit in fine, and they were a tight knit family. He debuted as a sort of mentor figure for the team, and eventually ended up gettting married to one of the girls.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
"What can we do to gently caress with Saban this year?"

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Light Gun Man posted:

"What can we do to gently caress with Saban this year?"

I have always wondered "How the gently caress is this going to translate for American kids" since Shinkenger.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I have always wondered "How the gently caress is this going to translate for American kids" since Shinkenger.

Like Shinkenger, it will be a bunch of New Zealand kids and one token Miyagi* to teach them the ways of the Ninja :v:

*they should really just dig out a Ninjor suit and send 10,000 90s kids into hysterics.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Kyoryuger seems straightforward enough to do. And so far it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

The new option is "skip it."

• Locked thread