Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

SuperSix posted:

Half HP in my Aoba when a Cleveland rounds a corner 4k away. I can almost feel his smug rear end look as he proceed to lay into me with a billion guns. I've got about 300 hp left when he's passing me less than 300meters away.

I launch all 4 torps and BOOM.

Bye bye Cleveland

oh and then another Cleveland one shotted me

yup, I did this to a dd once. I'm sure he was all smug seeing my broadside for that torpedo run. He was less smug when he ran into 3 of mine as I had already turned away keeping pace with the speed of his own torps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Does anyone else get unplayable lag in this? Like spikes up to 400 milliseconds, can't fire my guns or control my rudder for extended periods. Once this inevitably kills me and I'm in spectator mode the ping counter shows a solid 60-ish ms for the rest of the match.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Any tips for getting through the terrible Phoenix. Such a letdown after the barrage party that was the St. Louis

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Krataar posted:

Any tips for getting through the terrible Phoenix. Such a letdown after the barrage party that was the St. Louis

Upgrade the hull and guns. It's just a bad stock boat.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Just like to add in thanks a bunch TheFluff, can't wait to try it when I get home.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Krataar posted:

It's very good when fully upgraded, and so is the Omaha. Learn to use torpedos.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXaTeaQI2s

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 26, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That tier3 japanese battleship sucks balls. 10km range, no manouverability, gets to tier 6 games 95% of the time. You can't even get to behind an island before the first torp salvo or some kongo 20km away finishes you.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Which one did you install so I can check the file contents? It might override something but won't delete anything so all you have to do is go back and delete the file from res_mods/0.3.0 folder. I will dick with them now and install them all individually to see if I can find it on my own.

Reply with "umad bro, Poi?" and then watch things get interesting.

I almost off of them, I have uninstalled them now, but it was the Contour mod, Eye of Saroun and the colour blind mod that I did not download for one reason or another

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
  1. Derakarsis (US)
  2. nerd death screech (US)
  3. Missing Name (US)
  4. xthetenth (US)
  5. wjs5(US)
  6. Daylen Drazzi (US)
  7. General Battuta
  8. Infidelicious(US)
  9. zxqv8(US)
  10. Dr. Arbitrary(US)
  11. Kazinsal (US)
  12. Shalhavet (US)
  13. Sidesaddle Cavalry (EU)
  14. Ataxerxes(US/EU)
  15. Lando131 (US)
  16. Hencoe (US)
  17. sparkmaster (US)
  18. cheese (US)
  19. zotix (US)
  20. raverrn (US)
  21. Kubrick (US)
  22. Winged Orpheus(US)
  23. Argas (US)
  24. McSpanky (US)
  25. PadreScout (US)
  26. Mirrors(US)
  27. The French Army (US)
  28. Trogdos!(US)
  29. gwrtheyrn(US)
  30. Tiger Crazy(US)
  31. TehKeen(US)
  32. RosaParksOfDip
  33. MisterFuzzles (US)
  34. Doctors Inc (EU)
  35. Duckaerobics (US)
  36. Samolety(US)
  37. Kingcobra (EU)
  38. Innocuous(US)
  39. Infidelicious(EU)
  40. White Snipes (EU)
  41. Ghost of Mussolini (EU)
  42. Vodos (EU)

Edit: I'll just keep updating this list. If more people get keys we can try to work our way down the list 'till everyone is taken care of. Just update your older posts with the region and I'll put it on there.
If you get a key, either edit your original post or say thanks in the thread or something so I know you're taken care of.
Feel free to PM me if I screwed something up.

The lucky ones:
  1. Ihmemies (EU)
  2. Neferreth (EU)
  3. dominionix(EU)
  4. Tathris(EU)
  5. Jihad Joe (EU)
  6. Dravs (EU)
  7. Plankalkuel (EU)
  8. Desidera
  9. Perestroita (EU)

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 1, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Pitch posted:

Does anyone else get unplayable lag in this? Like spikes up to 400 milliseconds, can't fire my guns or control my rudder for extended periods. Once this inevitably kills me and I'm in spectator mode the ping counter shows a solid 60-ish ms for the rest of the match.

Why no, not at all.. there is no unplayable lag. Please do not say that again lest people jump on your poo poo like I experienced. This game is lag free and quite possibly routing using one of the best, most reliable servers on the planet.

Really though its poo poo and yes I get lag, microfreezes and rubberbanding as do a good number of people but gently caress off if you say it with some of these douchelickers around here.

Stevefin posted:

I almost off of them, I have uninstalled them now, but it was the Contour mod, Eye of Saroun and the colour blind mod that I did not download for one reason or another

I am guessing something else happened because I removed the mods and reinstalled them one by one, my torpedo indicators both enemy and friendly still work as does the sound. I would be happy to stream it for you so you can see though? The only one I have not tried it with is the one that zooms in and out because there is something off with it that causes the range to screw up.

Also got a more authentic WW2 rising sun flag that looks better than the stark white one floating around the forums.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 27, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Add me under US as well I guess

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pitch posted:

Sort of. I've never been below 180 and it's usually at 200. But to be fair it's mostly stable around there, tanks are usually stable at 90. Ships doing the occasional stop and sudden short teleport isn't uncommon. At least I like using carriers and the planes doesn't seem affected beyond their usual retardness and random pathfinding errors.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The thing I'm getting is that sometimes ships just aren't where they appear to be. Shellcamming a 36 cm slam-dunk into someone's deck only to get no hit at all is... unsatisfying :rubshands:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've got a sickness and the only cure is more torpedoes. Nothing better than managing to land six tubes' worth of eels in a tight pattern right dead centre in some cheeky BB :allears:

Though on the flipside, I'm pretty useless with cannons. From what I've gathered the idea (with cruisers and above at least) with AP is to aim for the centre near the waterline for citadel hits, but I've managed to make that work maybe twice total even though the shells seem to land in the right spot. Meanwhile some St. Louis just loads HE and pretty much crits my everything in a single salvo. Do you maybe need bigger cannons (I'm only at Tier 3-4 at the moment) with greater penetrative power for AP to work reliably?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Generation Internet posted:

My biggest annoyance with playing as CVs so far is that there's absolutely nothing you can do if the enemy carriers have better fighters than you do. If you fight them one on one you'll lose every plane and maybe shoot down one of theirs, so the only thing your fighters can accomplish is distracting theirs for long enough to strike with your other planes. It's a shame because that's not the case with ships, generally speaking it's a more level playing field in terms of fighting higher-tiered ships with guns.

If you are not the only carrier on your team, then you can always have your fighters stick with his and hope that he's smart enough to take advantage of this opportunity and help you taking out the enemy fighters.

Insert name here posted:

Yeah CVs being super tiered and having to sit on your rear end for half the game because it takes forever to retrieve your planes is probably the worst part of playing CVs.

Hence why I'm a battlecarrier! :black101:
Get closer to the action by choosing a side and sticking to it. Then get closer to the battle lines but just out of range of the enemy. If your side gets murdered, either try and run away, or remember my name and tell me how stupid this idea was. :argh:

Poil posted:

I have the -10% service time to aircraft and -10% time for torpedo bombers. Still takes a really long time. I bet the reload time was set with the assumption that you'll have both those skills. If planes could land faster and more reliably or even land and takeoff planes at the same time or just cut down the time it takes for planes to lift, half the time would make more sense, it would make carriering a lot less annoying. :rant:

Yeah the alarm seems utterly useless unless you're in a destroyer.

I think they're trying to remain historically accurate. At this point in time, carriers did not have angled deck which meant that having planes taking off and landing at the same time was impossible. Or impractical.

Daktari posted:

I need to get in on this, and torpedo pubbies a ton.
All while claiming my innocence in allchat:
"Sorry, I had no idea that would hurt you",
"OPS, first time in this boat, I guess we all get lucky sometimes",
"I was aiming for that other guy, please don't run into my torps",
"Did they nerf BB AA decently",
etc

Those are pretty sad troll, and if you use them I will make fun of you. :colbert:

demonR6 posted:

Reply with "umad bro, Poi?" and then watch things get interesting.

Poi! Poi! Poi Poi Poi!
See how bad that was? Don't say Poi unless you're retarded.

Vadoc posted:

Just saying Poi or anything with poi at the end gets people so mad. It's hilarious.

And I bet most of those who 'get mad' are other goons who find that retarded. Enjoy your anime.

TheFluff posted:

I've handed out 18 keys to goons so far :v:

I am a amateur historian gigantic nerd who visits the Swedish national military archives on a weekly basis, doing research on Swedish tank development history. I've been doing this for about a year and a half at this point. Wargaming has shown interest in implementing Swedish tanks and I had a meeting regarding that with their historian Yuri Pasholok and some other WG employees in Stockholm a month or so back. When I asked my contact at Wargaming for a key for my own use he was like "you should've asked earlier, there was a closed alpha you could've been in but feel free to ask for keys for your friends/people in your gaming community" and since I mostly play online games with goons, well, you're all my friends right? I also got more keys for promising to investigate Swedish ships.

I am honest to god jealous of your life right now.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

I think I've arrived; suffered not one but two "friendly fire," torpedo incidents in two back-to-back games - promptly started calling everyone "cunts," and ragequit for the night.

Awesome!

When you have stupid teammates, especially one in a DD who torpedoes you, it is your Goon given obligation to call them WIllie Dees.
Here is why: http://www.historynet.com/uss-william-d-porter-the-us-navy-destroyers-service-in-world-war-ii.htm

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

That tier3 japanese battleship sucks balls. 10km range, no manouverability, gets to tier 6 games 95% of the time. You can't even get to behind an island before the first torp salvo or some kongo 20km away finishes you.

Yeah, the Kawachi is a piece of junk. Go to a flank and try to bully cruisers, I guess. Same with the Myogi.

The Kongo is the first japanese BB that can throw down with the other big boats well, though you're very vulnerbale close-in becuase your belt is jsut not going to stand up to battleship calibres. But she's good at fighting at long range and can just eat cruisers alive due to her speed, maneuverability and comparatively fast turrets.

Here's the game that unlocked the Fuso for me, just to show what a good match looks like for me in her:

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 27, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The warping that happens with ships that are far away reminds me of the WoT beta, though not as bad.

Prav posted:

The thing I'm getting is that sometimes ships just aren't where they appear to be. Shellcamming a 36 cm slam-dunk into someone's deck only to get no hit at all is... unsatisfying :rubshands:
It's hilarious when it works the other way around though. You're just there thinking to yourself that your salvo is going to miss because you lead too much when the shells just explode above the water and you get a citadel hit.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I would love a key. US servers

Also how is damaged modeled in the gsme is it a healthbar or systems.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's the World of Tanks system, a HP bar but with module damage too.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

If there are still any keys floating around (heh) Id be super happy to get a hold of one (US) - it'll be just in time to test out my new PC too! :D This game looks so drat fun in a way that Tanks never really did for me.

Vlk3601 at gmail.com

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'd also be all about getting a US server key. Been trying for a while to scrounge one up.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Insert name here posted:

It's hilarious when it works the other way around though. You're just there thinking to yourself that your salvo is going to miss because you lead too much when the shells just explode above the water and you get a citadel hit.

I've not been having issues with warping at all tonight, but if I did I probably had a round where I was watching my shots miss yet I was scoring hits and ribbons were popping up. If of course that was happening but it wasn't because there are no issues with that in warships.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Torpedos not showing is totally a thing for me. A DD 3km away fired torpedos but I couldn't see them. I maneuvered beforehand and dodged them but the torpedos didn't show up until they were really close to me.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Well, if anyone ever has spare keys for the NA server and want more dumb fodder, I would gladly take one.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I feel sorry for the people starting now since tier 1 co-op means playing against AI Kongo and Independences now. And you know your teammate Kong and Independence will be useless.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Tiger Crazy posted:

Also how is damaged modeled in the gsme is it a healthbar or systems.

Healthbar, but lots of crit effects, modeled armored citadels and overpenetration (fire a battleship-calibre AP shell through the superstructure of a cruiser and you do next to no damage because it just punches straight through before the fuse can go off) and both temporary and permanent destruction of subsystems from crits. Ships can be set on fire, suffer flooding, lose rudder or engines temporarily, primary and secondary turrets both temporarily and permanently and can even be made to go full Hood.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

It seems like torpedo's do more damage if they hit certain compartments. Do we have any idea where the better places to hit a torpedo on a ship are?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Krataar posted:

It seems like torpedo's do more damage if they hit certain compartments. Do we have any idea where the better places to hit a torpedo on a ship are?

The rudder :v:

Also if it's modeled I'd say not where the anti-torpedo bulges and belts are

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lol nice driving idiots

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Insert name here posted:

Lol nice driving idiots

I did that last week, one of my torpedo bomber squadrons refused to drop on the cross angle like i told them and instead flew in a circle and dropped right behind the first squadron, which turned out ok because two cruisers ran into each other and I hit them with 4 and 3 torps respectively.

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
If by any chance somebody got his hands on a spare EU key, I would be really happy to take it from you.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Artless Meat posted:

That's why they should split CAs and CLs (even if the Cleveland is only a CL by gun size)

Yeah, Cleveland is a huge fat bastard of a ship. It's both longer than and has higher displacement than the Pensacola, the light/heavy cruiser designation cares pretty much only about gun size.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Woop, key received from the hands of TheFluff. Thankyou, you're a scholar and gentleman. You may smooth talk me about pansarskepps anytime.

I managed a brief breakfast pre-work game where I immediately got distracted and torped to a watery grave, probably the first of many. It's already clear that half of the battle isn't fighting your opponent, but maintaining a balance between being zoomed in engaging your target and your own general situational awareness. Thinking about direction more in the late game so I don't end up stuck wandering around a part of the map without any local targets would probably do me some favors as well.

So far, I am enjoying the boats.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 27, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I'd also be all about getting a US server key. Been trying for a while to scrounge one up.

I realize dI didn't provide contact details. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Morenicus should anyone find themselves overburdened by a NA key.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Krataar posted:

Directly below a turret can make BBs go full Hood.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

ask me about getting torpedoed by my division mate

Ask me about torpedoing my team mates.....

People are getting kinda upset about this game, especially considering it is still in beta.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Magni posted:

Directly below a turret can make BBs go full Hood.

Speaking of which, I'm working on a battlecruiser essay. Should I Prav this and include anime?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Missing Name posted:

Speaking of which, I'm working on a battlecruiser essay. Should I Prav this and include anime?

Talk about how the resources wasted in rebuilding Haruna and Kirishima so that they could combine into a massive raygun could have been used to reinforce and replace the carrier fleet after the losses at the Coral Sea and Midway

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Alls I'm saying is that it's truly an outrage that they haven't added the Takao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Goddamn, it's ridiculous how much you can troll bad BB players with the Kongo. Had a standard cap mode match today in which all their BBs went down one flank while most of my team went down the other. A Nagato and me in the Kongo went down our flank and the Nagato got erased within like 5 minutes while taking one enemy BB with her with a crazy crit salvo. Which left me alone at 20km against two Fusos and two Nagatos. I proceeded to troll the ever-loving poo poo out of them for the next ten minutes because pubbies just can't loving hit a Kongo at 20km as long as you pretend you're playing Tokyo Drift:BB Edition*.

At the end, they had taken off like 5k hp from me in return for one Fuso being near dead when my team capped after rolling over their cruisers and DDs on the other flank. I evne had the time to taunt them in the chat between dodging salvoes. :v:

*This also trolled the poo poo out of a cheeky little DD who was very suprised when I evaded his torp run by just hitting the gas pedal. Little fucker didn't expect me to be at only 3/4 ahead when he launched.