Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Talk to a therapist, anime is no placeholder for proper psychological treatment

Oh, the therapy is happening, it was just a bad week and I'm being melodramatic. Thanks for the suggestions, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

Talk to a therapist, anime is no placeholder for proper psychological treatment

I've been making it work.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Strong drink and moe anime make the bad thoughts go away. It definitely needs both at once to work right, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WickedHate posted:

I've been making it work.

Shut up wickedhate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TARDISman posted:

Oh, the therapy is happening, it was just a bad week and I'm being melodramatic. Thanks for the suggestions, regardless.

Good, yotsuda, soremachi, bonnouji, and Yokohama Shopping Trip are all relaxing and funny/feelgood manga

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

Good, yotsuda, soremachi, bonnouji, and Yokohama Shopping Trip are all relaxing and funny/feelgood manga

I really need to read YKK sometime.

My favourite anime pick-me-ups are Hidamari Sketch, Aria, and Sketchbook. None are dubbed though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is probably an impossible request, but are there any decent dramas that

a) aren't set in a highschool
b) aren't creepy weird pedoshit
c) aren't romances

I'm talking about stuff that's about the Issues, Man, rather than genre pieces that are either meta-aware or vehicles for (cod) philosophical tracks. Not that I don't eat that stuff up, but I miss my vegetables once in a while. Wondering if anime's got anything like that to chew on.

Basically, does anime have an equivalent to American History X, The Ice Storm, or Coffee and Cigarettes?

I'm willing to overlook corollary a) if the work's got something interesting to say about highschool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TARDISman posted:

Tsuritama is always the immediate thing that comes to mind when it comes to feel-good anime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Open Source Idiom posted:

c) aren't romances

Barakamon is pretty good. It's about a calligrapher working out his anger issues and learning to fit in with a small rural village.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Ya I really don't like high school moe anime either. Barakamon is loving ownage though. Doesn't really discuss big issues or anything but it is heartwarming as gently caress, would recommend.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

c) aren't romances

I'm talking about stuff that's about the Issues, Man, rather than genre pieces that are either meta-aware or vehicles for (cod) philosophical tracks. Not that I don't eat that stuff up, but I miss my vegetables once in a while. Wondering if anime's got anything like that to chew on.

Basically, does anime have an equivalent to American History X, The Ice Storm, or Coffee and Cigarettes?

I'm willing to overlook corollary a) if the work's got something interesting to say about highschool.

I'm not quite sure what the distinction between "genre piece" and drama is for you, but Monster would be the first thing I'm thinking of here.

There's also Gungrave, which is a pretty good mafia drama, although it does have some weird action/sci-fi bits and pieces (thanks to its video game heritage) that don't really work that well. Definitely give it a three episode test though, the first episode is in no way representative of the overall tone of the show (and could in fact be easily skipped as it is an almost 100% flash-forward to a later episode).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Shut up wickedhate

Don't be mean to wickedhate

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fezball posted:

I'm not quite sure what the distinction between "genre piece" and drama is for you, but Monster would be the first thing I'm thinking of here.

Uh, general non-specific spoilers, which I'm not bothering to censorbar:

I'm exactly thirty episodes into Monster right now, and the show is basically complete ownage whenever the killer isn't around. When he is (which has been surprisingly brief and infrequent) he's kind of lame and basically has unbelievable magic powers. But when he's not, he's actually loving terrifying. I spent that entire episode with the young pair of students on the edge of my seat, since they kept loving blundering into things in completely logical, completely loving dangerous ways. But when the dude actually turned up, it just got kind of silly. I'm also not convinced by the voice acting for the guy, which is just totally arch. Is the original any better?

But when the show is just about people and the effect that a complete black hole of a psychopath can have on people's lives, it loving sings. It's just so loving humanistic, like the show really loving cares about people, and has compassion for basically every character. It even does that Grant Morrison thing where it'll spend time focussing on some bit part character from several episodes ago just because it can, to show that even they've got a great deal of depth going on. It's not dismissive at all, and it's completely respectful for its cast, which makes the fact that they're constantly under threat by an all consuming serial killer all the worse.

I'd probably consider it a genre piece, but it's those moments when it dips away from that material that made me yen for something a bit different. That episode with the British couple, where they're just sitting in the middle of nowhere staring at the sun, and wondering if they've been abandoned by the rest of the cast (and whether that's actually a bad thing), just loving slayed me. Even if the show can't keep up this level of tension and love throughout, it'd be an instant recommend.

Basically, if you're reading this, and you've not seen Monster, go loving see Monster.

Also the female characters aren't remotely rubbish.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Monster is the best and you're totally right about the villain. I was reminded of him when I was watching True Detective - the King in Yellow (Johan) is a lot more frightening when he's off screen.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Being terrifying when literally nothing is happening is the mark of good horror.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Barakamon is pretty good. It's about a calligrapher working out his anger issues and learning to fit in with a small rural village.

Seconded. Kyousougiga is also fantastic and imo should always be recommended in unison with Barakamon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you want a non-high school drama, while it does have romance, Boys on the Run is extremely good and deals with a fuckup attempting to sort his poo poo out and not be such a worthless scumbag. He succeeds and fails on various levels. It can get cringeworthy at times but it's an interesting read. It's not high politics or whatever but it's a very involved drama. The final four chapters have yet to be translated for some reason, but everything else is translated.

Again, it has romance, but is also about a post-high school dude working blue collar jobs and making his way in the world, alongside a gruff mechanic girl who's pretty amazing; Sekitou Elergy. It is unapologetic about people being absolutely lovely to each other, everything is filthy, nobody is squeaky clean, it's good stuff. There's like 15 untranslated volumes or something crazy like that, but what's been translated is a good enough stopping point, although I really wish someone would start scanlating it again.

Lastly, for a non-romance, I recommend Hito Hitori Futari. It's about a young, reckless spirit who is tasked with being the guardian spirit of someone in the human world, and picks someone who doesn't have much time left to live, so she can finish the job quicker and get back to being a lazy bum in limbo. Unfortunately, her target happens to be the Prime Minister of Japan. It's a pretty good, touching, sometimes dark but often optimistic story about life, death, making the right decision, etc, and takes place in the results of the terrible tsunami that hit Japan.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Don't be mean to wickedhate
I don't care if it's wickedhate, being in a bad place and asking for anime as your "therapy" is nothing to joke about, the user in question is getting therapy so it's a non-issue, but wickedhate making a dumb quip whether joking or serious is moronic and doesn't help

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Watch Monster. It's a good slow burn and the way it treats it's characters and how it creates tension is fantastic. I'm 10 episodes away from the ending and if it sticks the landing it will be one of the best things I have ever watched.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't care if it's wickedhate, being in a bad place and asking for anime is your "therapy" is nothing to joke about, the user in question is getting therapy so it's a non-issue, but wickedhate making a dumb quip whether joking or serious is moronic and doesn't help
I don't think the dude is literally on the verge of suicide, man. He's not on the roof. You aren't talking him down with giant paragraphs about monster. It's okay to make a joke.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

I don't think the dude is literally on the verge of suicide, man. He's not on the roof. You aren't talking him down with giant paragraphs about monster. It's okay to make a joke.

Phone posting from the roof right now

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do my best posting 6ft from the edge

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"I just don't feel like life is worth living anymore. It's not - like anything bad's happened to me, I just can't work up the motivation to care about anything. I have to force myself to get out of bed most days."
"Hrm. Have you watched Barakamon?"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you want to feel pumped try a Yuasa anime like Ping Pong The Animation, The Tatami Galaxy, and Mind Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcSuAhbtIFg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you gave me a choice between jumping off a bridge and watching ping pong, well, San Francisco, open your golden gate

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

I didn't even see what the post I was replying to was talking about and assuming they were making a joke. Still, I understand where they're coming from. I apologize.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't care if it's wickedhate, being in a bad place and asking for anime as your "therapy" is nothing to joke about, the user in question is getting therapy so it's a non-issue, but wickedhate making a dumb quip whether joking or serious is moronic and doesn't help

Nah it was p.funny

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

if you gave me a choice between jumping off a bridge and watching ping pong, well, San Francisco, open your golden gate

Would you rather shoot yourself in the head or watch Chihayafuru

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Would you rather shoot yourself in the head or watch Chihayafuru
live is worth living with chihaya-chan in it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I didn't even see what the post I was replying to was talking about and assuming they were making a joke. Still, I understand where they're coming from. I apologize.

You made me laugh so good on ya

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Sometimes I have a dream where I am laying on my back, and the sun is in my eyes. There is a cool summers breeze meandering over my whole body. In the background music is playing. Or maybe it isn't music but a poem? A poem is being read? The next thing I know there is a deafening crack of thunder right next to me. A blast of intense wind blows me off balance, but I quickly regain my composure. All is calm again.

I hear someone begin to speak, they don't even get out a whole word, and next thing I know I am hurtling through the air flipping head over heels. I'm flying over the tatami mat. Then I land face down. There is darkness and I am scared. I hear footsteps fast approaching enthusiastic yet graceful. I feel soft slender fingers envelop me. I am being picked up. As I am turned towards the blinding sunlight it takes my eyes a few seconds to adjust and that is when I see her. A small bead of sweat is on her forehead, her long brown hair tied back into a ponytail, her brown eyes looking at me like I am the most precious thing in the world to her, and that is when I realize it. I am her card, and she is my Chihaya.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

"I just don't feel like life is worth living anymore. It's not - like anything bad's happened to me, I just can't work up the motivation to care about anything. I have to force myself to get out of bed most days."
"Hrm. Have you watched Barakamon?"

its good because the protag is depressed until he discovers the wonderful world of being a surrogate father

coathat
May 21, 2007

If you liked YKK you should read The Walking Man by Taganuchi Jiro.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've never seen/read/played any JJBA, and I would like to do so. Should I start with Stardust Crusaders, or does it matter?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You'd definitely be missing out on not reading/watching part 2 Battle Tendency and part 1 is pretty short so you might as well watch that as well.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The beginning is the best place to start.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've never seen/read/played any JJBA, and I would like to do so. Should I start with Stardust Crusaders, or does it matter?

Read or watch it from the beginning. Part I is a little rough / simplistic, especially in manga form, but it's also very short and still has a lot of endearing and funny qualities.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Armor-Piercing posted:

I haven't read or watched any of X should I start in the middle???

HMMMMMMm

(watch the part 1 and 2 anime they are the best. Part 3 is where it gets jojo as we know it for the last 20 years, but it's the third part of a trilogy and the first two parts are only 26 episodes all together and even if you are a crazy person and think part 1 is the boring part that's only 9 eps and part 2 is loving wacky awesome)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sorry, I missed the part where the thread said there was a good adaptation of the beginning stuff, and I remembered that there was apparently a very bad adaptation, so I wasn't sure if that was something I needed to read before watching Stardust Crusaders.

26 episodes sounds perfect though, so I will definitely start from the beginning.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

Sorry, I missed the part where the thread said there was a good adaptation of the beginning stuff, and I remembered that there was apparently a very bad adaptation, so I wasn't sure if that was something I needed to read before watching Stardust Crusaders.

26 episodes sounds perfect though, so I will definitely start from the beginning.

Episode 3 is when it clicked for me and I realized "HOLY gently caress THIS poo poo IS AWESOME!" And it just keeps getting more and more awesome from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had no issue with Part 1, I thought it was fine/fun enough. Maybe a little by the numbers compared to the rest? Part 2 was a blast though and thus far has been my favorite of the three stories though presumably Stardust Crusaders is going to get crazy good by the end.

• Locked thread