Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thankfully, my folks live(d) 15 minutes from the airport in good traffic. So the most I've ever had to wait in traffic to get there was an hour :v:

The worst traffic I ever saw in Denver was when someone decided it would be a good idea to narrow I-25 Southbound down to one lane of traffic out of three. Despite no construction or accident. Just a few cones blocking off two lanes over the course of about 100 feet. This was on Friday night, right around 5-6PM. Couldn't be more than five miles, it took me two and a half hours to get through it.

That sounds... special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Traffic Reporter posted:

Seconding this. I've borrowed this from a guy in my office a million times for laptop hard drive swaps. It really doesn't get any easier than this.

Also, if an network professional of any kind shows up to do work and doesn't have a console cable for connecting directly to devices just incase, I guarantee you he's not good at his job. I've never seen a bad network guy show up with one, and I've never seen a good network guy show up with out one.

Anecdote time:

My small consulting firm (That I no longer work for) decided to hire a new manager to kick all the network techs (me and two other guys) into shape. The owner/boss described him like he invented TCP/IP. The guy shows up and he's got a huge attitude. I give him a laptop, preconfigured and ready for him to work.

His first task is to show me how to configure an Adtran switch (I'm Adtran certified so whatever), which is sitting on a table. He takes an ethernet cable, and connects it to his laptop ethernet port and then connects to eth0/1 of the switch, and attempts to open a serial connection to it with putty (not ssh, yes serial). It doesn't work. He then goes into a tirade about the laptop is broken and if I'm going to be in charge of giving new hires laptops I need to step up my game, and that he's going fix things since we suck so much.

I then hand him a console cable. He flips out, and says that I should have given that to him to start, and I was just trying to set him up to look like a fool. He connects the console cable to his laptop, and to the switch, and then it still doesn't work.

He again starts on how I gave him a broken cable, and the QA is awful and I've slacked long enough.

I then reach over and plug the switch in.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Also, if an network professional of any kind shows up to do work and doesn't have a console cable for connecting directly to devices just incase, I guarantee you he's not good at his job. I've never seen a bad network guy show up with one, and I've never seen a good network guy show up with out one.
My musician friends used to have the same heuristic about auditioning drummers -- the first thing they would do is ask them if they brought their keys.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2019

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here have a non-technical undergrad degree and a technical Master's?

I'm a nurse and I'll graduate with by BSN in May. I currently work in my hospital's Clinical Informatics department and I'm thinking about pursing a technical Master's such as CS or IT, instead of the traditional Master's in Nursing. Any advice for taking this route? I think this popped up a bit ago but I never saw much information on the topic.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 27, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Might want to post in the legal megathread but how far is a non-compete enforceable?

If I am working in a realm where in my role I am touching every modern technology :yayclod: wouldn't this essentially make me completely unemployable thereafter? Or the until the duration of of the non-compete has ended.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Might want to post in the legal megathread but how far is a non-compete enforceable?

If I am working in a realm where in my role I am touching every modern technology :yayclod: wouldn't this essentially make me completely unemployable thereafter? Or the until the duration of of the non-compete has ended.

Depends on the state. They're very hard to enforce unless you obviously got poached by a client or are using some knowledge you otherwise wouldn't have (EPIC), and sometimes not even then, but you should ask the legal thread

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
From what I'd read in there in the past, judges generally don't look highly on non-competes that are overly broad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Your employer must...

1. Have a clause that is actually legally enforceable in your state.
2. The will to actually give a poo poo and attempt litigation.
3. And most importantly, actually know who the hell you left them for.

A non-compete for IT is nothing more than an employee retention tactic that come at the cost of some printed paper.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, IANAL, but in general, no-competes are very difficult to enforce here unless you're dissolving a partnership, which you probably aren't, or if you're a contract worker who a client wants to poach, and even that might be too much of a pain to go after.

e) the easiest way to be sure is to take an IT job in California, where the answer to "is this no-compete enforceable" is basically "gently caress no"

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

When I worked for an employer with a non-compete clause, it had less to do with my skillset and more to do with the market. As long as I didn't go to work for another ISP, and arguably as long as I didn't go to an ISP that competed in the same market segment, I could go use exactly the same skills anyplace I liked.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I think certain software companies prior mentioned will drop your maintenance if you hire someone under a non compete, so its enforcable that way even if not legally.

So the hiring companies have to be careful.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Even employer-heaven Texas has some really strict guidelines on what makes a non-compete enforceable.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
New budget coming up, significantly over this years already, adding a bunch of details onto it (licensing, salaries, etc)... caught wind of bringing someone on full time and allocating money to that, which is great because hey, two people for 250+ people sucks poo poo. Get a new title - sysadmin - and no raise? Sub 40k? Really?

:yotj:

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Just got done with an interview where the director got visibly upset when I wouldn't tell him what my current salary was. He tried several more times through the process to get it out of me but finally realized I wasn't going to budge. They seemed ok with my salary requirement but I think they were looking for a way wiggle less out of me.

I don't remember who originally gave that advise in this thread but thanks. Looks like I might :yotj: for the better twice in one year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sacred Cow posted:

Just got done with an interview where the director got visibly upset when I wouldn't tell him what my current salary was. He tried several more times through the process to get it out of me but finally realized I wasn't going to budge. They seemed ok with my salary requirement but I think they were looking for a way wiggle less out of me.

I don't remember who originally gave that advise in this thread but thanks. Looks like I might :yotj: for the better twice in one year.

Yeah prior to this job, when I was interviewing, people constantly pulled that one. Only one wouldn't back down, so I said "have a nice day" and walked.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
They asked me that at the interview for a job I'm starting next week and I made up some number that's like twice what I make now and it worked is this a good strategy to use again in the future? :confused:

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

crunk dork posted:

They asked me that at the interview for a job I'm starting next week and I made up some number that's like twice what I make now and it worked is this a good strategy to use again in the future? :confused:

I can't find the article but someone here linked a great list of things to do for an interview and one of them was not to divulge your current salary. Price yourself and what you think you are worth and the company will have to decide if they agree. When you tell them what you earn you've given them the advantage when it comes to bargaining your future salary. When I started doing help desk I did the same thing you did but eventually doubling your existing salary begins to sound a little unbelievable.

:lol: before I finished typing this post they called me up accepting my salary request and sent an offer letter.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Sacred Cow posted:

I can't find the article but someone here linked a great list of things to do for an interview and one of them was not to divulge your current salary. Price yourself and what you think you are worth and the company will have to decide if they agree. When you tell them what you earn you've given them the advantage when it comes to bargaining your future salary. When I started doing help desk I did the same thing you did but eventually doubling your existing salary begins to sound a little unbelievable.

:lol: before I finished typing this post they called me up accepting my salary request and sent an offer letter.

Ya I don't expect to do it again really, but if I did that would rule. Now I'm making an ok amount of money for my skill set and where I'm located so I think doubling it again would take a few years.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My last job I told them to give me an offer and didn't divulge anything. They came back with almost what I was already making and then I negotiated and got 5k more.

You value what you are asking for at what you think you would be worth to the company, so what you make currently shouldn't even come into play until you get the offer and decide if its worth it.

If I place makes demands then just tell them politely you would rather not share that information. If they are being that hard-rear end about it that would throw a red flag for me that it might not be the kind of company I want to be working for. They either want your skills and are willing to pay for it, or they are trying to dupe you into working for less than what you deserve because they can get more out of you for less pay.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sacred Cow posted:

Probably this article. And it's not just divulging your current salary (which you DEFINITELY shouldn't do), but also not being the first one to put out a salary number. If you name a figure first, that automatically sets the upper bound of what they're likely to offer. If you let them go first, you can try to negotiate upward. See: the goon a month or two back in this thread who panicked when put on the spot and lowballed himself by like $20k.

Also congrats, that rules :yotj:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 27, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I negotiated myself an extra 68 cents an hour. :suicide:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

I negotiated myself an extra 68 cents an hour. :suicide:
Don't poo poo on an extra hamburger a day

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Docjowles posted:

Probably this article. And it's not just divulging your current salary (which you DEFINITELY shouldn't do), but also not being the first one to put out a salary number. If you name a figure first, that automatically sets the upper bound of what they're likely to offer. If you let them go first, you can try to negotiate upward. See: the goon a month or two back in this thread who panicked when put on the spot and lowballed himself by like $20k.

Yes, you always want them to tell you what they are willing to pay (or at least a range, then aim for the high-end) and don't ever start out with what you think you're worth. They've already got budget approval for the high end of their range or they wouldn't be looking to fill a spot. I usually deflect the "What kind of salary are you looking for?" with "Why don't you tell me what your company is will to pay for a person in this position and see if we can come to accommodation?"

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Don't forget the fringe benefits are negotiable, too. They may say "everyone starts with a week's vacation", but you can up that, if you position it like you're willing to accept a SMALL amount less in salary. Eventually you should get to a point in your career where you want the time to spend with the toys you bought with your well-negotiated salary :v:

Or negotiate for training/certs, or attending a conference, or (extra) work-from-home, or whatever else relevant you can think of.

It's a negotiation, not family dinner. Don't leave anything on the table.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Don't poo poo on an extra hamburger a day

With the price of beef going up it may be like half a hamburger

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

That's exactly it. I guess I misremembered the part about not making the first move. Its really varied for me depending on who was doing the recruiting. If its internal they seemed to aim low, if its an external hiring company they'll aim high since its tied to a commission or bonus.

Also, thanks :cheers:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Benefit of the new job: sometimes I get to dally with exotic visitors from foreign lands.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 27, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Ahh working IT :allears:

I've been a network engineer(more like an admin) at a large managed hosting company for nearly 4 years. A customer facing role rather than non-customer facing infrastructure role.

AMA about customer facing managed service level server environment networking. :suicide:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 27, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My work straight up bought me a bottle of scotch yesterday as a welcome present. Soooooooo much better than government contracting.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dick Trauma posted:

Benefit of the new job: sometimes I get to dally with exotic visitors from foreign lands.

458 Italia?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Prescription Combs posted:

AMA about customer facing managed service level server environment networking. :suicide:

Is it foolish for me to hope that someday I can be a system admin from the lowly position as help desk clerk? I just want to have dreams.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Alder posted:

Is it foolish for me to hope that someday I can be a system admin from the lowly position as help desk clerk? I just want to have dreams.

Pretty easy with a little effort. Before this job I had literally zero IT background.

E: Not a sysadmin myself but the requirements for entry level sysadmins(windows server) where I work is basically a functioning brain.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 27, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My manager texted me today: "I have some good news for you. Talk to you monday" (I was off today)

Two (of 5 counting me) help desk people put in letters to leave in the last week. I wonder if the two are related?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Could anyone give me some insight into this?

Internal memo: Microsoft to cut off all ‘external staff’ after 18 months, imposing mandatory 6-month break

The 6-month break due to security smells like bullshit as not even banks force that much time off.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
'we cant make products to save our loving life now so we've got to do something to keep shareholders happy'

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Could anyone give me some insight into this?

Internal memo: Microsoft to cut off all ‘external staff’ after 18 months, imposing mandatory 6-month break

The 6-month break due to security smells like bullshit as not even banks force that much time off.

Yes, they do, speaking from experience. The "18 month contract, 6 month cool-off period, so go to another bank for 18 months" merry-go-round is definitely a real thing.

It has something to do with contractors who have been there for more than 18 months out of a 24 month period qualifying as real employees who actually get some kind of benefits or getting unemployment in some states or something. I never looked up the exact reason.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's disappointing because you're hosed for 6-months unless you become a FTE or work for someone else.

The weird thing is I know dashes who are still at Microsoft beyond the 18 months.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mayodreams posted:

458 Italia?

430 Spyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

That's disappointing because you're hosed for 6-months unless you become a FTE or work for someone else.

The weird thing is I know dashes who are still at Microsoft beyond the 18 months.

It sounds like a new policy at MS.

I dunno about Microsoft, but banks like to hire people who worked at other banks, and it never seemed like anyone had trouble getting a different job