Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

4outof5 posted:

The smallest unit of maneuver in the American Civil War was a brigade so ummmmmm

Sure, but a game based around the Battle of the Wilderness would work with smaller units, I doubt much brigade level movement was going on in those woods.

4outof5 posted:

Spanish Civil War tactical combat is pretty much early war world war 2 tactical combat/partisan actions
Sure, but it has always been fascinating to me as a conflict and really the "proving gorunds" of armored warfare. Plus think of all the wacky international brigades you could have chits for!

4outof5 posted:

WW1 would definitely be over the top as previously stated but if you want ww1 tactical I don't see why you wouldn't like ww2 tactical the technology/tactical differences at the small unit action level are not that great.
Granted, but I could see a small unit game where terrain was a larger than usual factor, even up to the effects of bombardment making space more difficult to cross. Again. it is just a personal thing as I find the tech of that era really intresting.

4outof5 posted:

there are a few age of sail games you should check out: Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Flying Colors (serpent of the seas and blue cross white ensign) from gmt and if you don't mind moving out of hexes sails of glory uses the same system that wings of glory, xwing and attack wing use.
Wooden Ships and Iron Men looks amazing an I am going to have to hunt up a copy.

4outof5 posted:

Scifi: OGRE/GEV, astra titanus, warp war (if you can find it), if you're brave ad astra space combat games
Already have and love OGRE and astra titanus looks like "Ogre in space" so I will check it out.

4outof5 posted:

Fantasy: battle lore, battles of westros, wizard kings

Never heard of any of these but will look into them. Currently trying to resist buying a copy of Melee and Wizard on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If Battle lore is on the table, Battlecry is the civil war flavor of the same rules system. I guess it's not tactical scale, per se, but it has the same feel.

Battlecry is very abstracted in size, scope, time and well everything. It's a great game no doubt, I enjoy it's older brother CnC Napoleonic a lot myself, but it's not tactical like Battle Lore can be considered. Battle Lore can be seen as a ancients or medieval game where entire armies met in the same small area. I only make the distinction because he asked about tactical games.

bunnielab posted:

Sure, but a game based around the Battle of the Wilderness would work with smaller units, I doubt much brigade level movement was going on in those woods.

Actually that's exactly what happened in the battle of the wilderness in fact the battle can be explained in cohesive corp movement. Its hard to imagine now but armies are very concentrated things in this time period for supply and communications reasons. At first it seems nonsensical until you realize things like horse drawn supplies can only get about 3 days away from a supply source such as a river or railroad before they eat as much in weight as they can carry in those 3 days. When you really dig into warfare before the first/second world war you realize that people like Caesar, Philip II, Napoleon, Grant etc etc had to be logistics geniuses as well as tactical and strategic geniuses to achieve the things they did. Anyway this will show you better than I can explain the movements of the battle of the wilderness

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/overland/maps/overland-animated-map.html

quote:

Sure, but it has always been fascinating to me as a conflict and really the "proving gorunds" of armored warfare. Plus think of all the wacky international brigades you could have chits for!

I don't think there would be noticeable differences between squads/platoons in the international brigades. Except in comparison to regular army units which would be a partisan/green to regular unit chit difference in tactical games. If you want a game about the interactions of the different factions in the spanish civil war I would suggest Popular Front instead of a tactical game those are bigger ideas than battlefield simulation. as far as the proving grounds for mechanized warfare I would suggest a higher level of simulation like GMT's spanish civil war where combined arms and the mobility of mechanized units can be shown.

quote:

Granted, but I could see a small unit game where terrain was a larger than usual factor, even up to the effects of bombardment making space more difficult to cross. Again. it is just a personal thing as I find the tech of that era really intresting.

In ww1 artillery pieces beyond trench mortars are not really tactical level assets on either front. Don't let me discourage you but I think the story of world war 1 is really illustrated beyond the tactical level. I think this might be what you're looking for it's not a board game but it's pretty close to one http://www.johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattles/FirstWorldWar.html

quote:

Wooden Ships and Iron Men looks amazing an I am going to have to hunt up a copy.

it's a classic

quote:

Already have and love OGRE and astra titanus looks like "Ogre in space" so I will check it out.

It's a solo game where the AI(s) are programed by cards it's pretty ok and it comes with the worlds smallest dice.

quote:

Never heard of any of these but will look into them. Currently trying to resist buying a copy of Melee and Wizard on ebay.

Well if dudes on a map games games like melee and wizard are on the table....wizwar, krosmaster arena, arcadia quest

4outof5 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 25, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If we do a WS&IM LP the communication should be limited to messages that can be sent by flags :getin:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If it's stuff fighting other stuff, its a wargame. I don't like exclusionary bullshit.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Would Avalon Hill's/Valley Games Titan be considered a wargame for this thread's purposes or must a wargame be grounded in some sort of historical/military authenticity?

Not sure how to classify Titan, really, beyond the fantasy/mythology component.

It says it is, right on the box! (The Monster Slugathon Fantasy Wargame) My all-time favourite game :).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
I used to play Titan a ton with a friend back when I lived in Texas. One of my goals is to print up the Abyssal-6 variant so I can play it tabletop instead of only on Colossus.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

As requested by Tekopo here are the boards of our game of Fire in the Lake tonight after each of the first three coups.

To be continued!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
This is going back a bit but the ATS system by Critical Hit does have a tactical level civil war module out with more purportedly on the way.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26401/gettysburg-turning-point-1863

Expensive though. I'm only familiar with WWII/Korea parts of the system so couldn't really offer any insights.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Finished up the campaign game of No Retreat with Ilthe tonight after several weekly sessions so I thought I'd post my thoughts.

It's good, I like it. There are a bunch of really engaging mechanics and it's fun to figure out how to bend them to your will.

However, I really didn't like the 1945 stuff. Seven out of the 10 cards you add to the deck have VP shenanigans on them so I, as the Soviets, felt I couldn't try to play for the sudden death VP victory. It also adds two more reshuffle effects so the whole deck just seems like random nonsense for the last six turns. I decided on the Objective victory because I didn't trust the deck not to screw me if I went for sudden death VP. Sure enough my first hand in 1945 had me losing two VP because I hadn't made it to two specific cities yet.

I pushed hard to Berlin early, with no real intentions of taking it, to try to make the Germans over-commit there while I marched to Vienna and Prague. I already had Konigsberg. I attacked Prague for a few turns. One of those turns I had an amazing hand that saw me rolling on the 6-1 column on the German CRT to have a 50% chance of busting the fort unit which failed, and then on the last turn I had a 6-1 again on the Russian CRT which was a 33% chance of killing the fort and failed again for the loss. I had taken Vienna by using the card that guarantees a Defender Retreats result on 2-1 odds or better, and I had Conflicting Hitler Directives and Hitler's Interference to back it up.

I won't curse the dice luck because I could have played better at several points in the game, but in 45 I felt hemmed into one strategy. It's possible I could have encircled Prague but it would've required a little luck. Berlin would have been tough to crack as well and would have required just as much luck. The funny thing is that by the tournament scenario I would have won by VP in 1944 (in the campaign the Russians need to beat the German VP total to force 1945 play at all) so I felt like I did pretty well and then a bunch of stuff happened and the game ended. It was really anti-climactic. Unlike the early game where the Russians have to stall the Germans the 1945 stuff didn't feel like there was much room for clever defensive maneuvering, just bunching up in the limited space. Ilthe can weigh in with his own thoughts but he said he found it boring because he basically had to watch me roll dice for six turns.

If I wanted to play the long game again I would definitely do the tournament scenario instead of the full campaign because the game would end when both sides are still fighting in the middle of the board with more opportunities for maneuver than the grind in Greater Germany. The individual scenarios don't interest me too much because three or five turns feels too short for the luck to even out over the course of the game. It doesn't surprise me that this part of the game was originally an expansion because it feels tacked on, messy, and pretty much superfluous.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 1, 2015

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Might as well follow up with my opinions. The game was a bit of a clusterfuck around the middle and that's when it was the most fun. The last six turns were just trying to evacuate from my Eastern holdings as fast as possible and forming a wall around Berlin while the Soviets rolled 'defender retreat' results against fortified units or multiple layers of German defenders. There was some pretty amazing instances of dice luck that had some serious repercussions throughout the game, but overall I liked the CRT. I'd definitely play it again, but like Cenotaph said the last ditch defense of Greater Germany feels tacked on and not fun. At least when the Soviets are getting kicked around at the start of the game they know at some point things are going to get better. Ending on Turn 22 would've been preferable.

My only complaint about playing the tournament scenario is losing my precious kampfgrupps, those things are so vital for maintaining the coherency of the German line once the Soviets start punching back.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I've wanted to get into tabletop war games for a while and having played some Memoir 44 on steam I figured Commands and Colors Napoleonics would be a nice little birthday present for myself. Now that I've received it I see I may have overestimated myself but I am looking forward to labeling every thing and finally playing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Do you guys like pc-based wargames or is the board a requirement

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Fellow Corn,

There's another thread with Grognard in the title that's just for PC wargames. But there's a lot of overlap, sure.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

FastestGunAlive posted:

I've wanted to get into tabletop war games for a while and having played some Memoir 44 on steam I figured Commands and Colors Napoleonics would be a nice little birthday present for myself. Now that I've received it I see I may have overestimated myself but I am looking forward to labeling every thing and finally playing.

All the blocks and stickers seems daunting at first, but it's a really slick system and plays quickly. Invest into a few dozen small plastic bags and label bags by unit type. A can of spray sealer will be your friend to make sure those stickers don't peel off after years of love.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

If VASL counts as a PC wargame

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

COOL CORN posted:

Fellow Corn,

There's another thread with Grognard in the title that's just for PC wargames. But there's a lot of overlap, sure.

That is good though I can not find it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

That is good though I can not find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3543909

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Time has passed. It's not too soon anymore. We can be honest about the deceased: Battlefleet Gothic was a bad game, wasn't it? The little spaceships were so pretty. :(

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Aston posted:

As requested by Tekopo here are the boards of our game of Fire in the Lake tonight after each of the first three coups.

To be continued!

Nice! Who's playing who?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Nice! Who's playing who?

I'm ARVN, Tek is the US, Aston is VC and NVA is lord_frisk

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

ASL Rulebook back in stock at CSI for $66

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/135575

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Picked up CC: Europe for my birthday hopefully someone will play with me :shobon:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Been playing Paths of Glory solo recently and my does it make my brain hurt. It seems like it's still the go to WWI game despite it's age - other than Pursuit of Glory has anything comparable (or any games relating to WWI really) come out that is worth a look. Did anything happen with the GMT WWI Eastern Front game that was in the works?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Just played my first game of Sekigahara with Ilthe on Vassal. Lost 13-12 as Tokugawa. I made some noob mistakes but felt I did well other than that. The play is really simple and fluid. It also plays at a really nice pace and it didn't feel like three hours at all. Trying to look back and forth between the block stacks on the board and the card hand in Vassal was a little annoying but I found it got easier as the game went on. I'm always wishing I had a second monitor just for my hand of cards on Vassal.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

MikeCrotch posted:

Been playing Paths of Glory solo recently and my does it make my brain hurt. It seems like it's still the go to WWI game despite it's age - other than Pursuit of Glory has anything comparable (or any games relating to WWI really) come out that is worth a look.

The Great War in Europe, also by Ted Raicer (who designed PoG)? Nothing like PoG, though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Been playing Paths of Glory solo recently and my does it make my brain hurt. It seems like it's still the go to WWI game despite it's age - other than Pursuit of Glory has anything comparable (or any games relating to WWI really) come out that is worth a look. Did anything happen with the GMT WWI Eastern Front game that was in the works?

Yeah, it's pretty much just Paths of Glory. Looking in the WWI category on BGG, there's a few miniatures games, as well as some hex-and-counter games, but nothing really stands out.

As for Illusions of Glory (the WWI Eastern Front game based on the Paths of Glory system), they're still working on it. I heard some mutterings that their were some major problems coming up during play-testing, but I don't know anything beyond that.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Lord Frisk posted:

All the blocks and stickers seems daunting at first, but it's a really slick system and plays quickly. Invest into a few dozen small plastic bags and label bags by unit type. A can of spray sealer will be your friend to make sure those stickers don't peel off after years of love.

Thanks, it was easy to label everything- was worried about ruining some pieces but they were easy to correct on the spot. Haven't gotten too into the rule book yet but I'm vaguely, vaguely familiar with the overall concept from playing Memoir 44 on steam. What kind of sealer are you referring to? Seeing several different kinds on amazon.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Any clear acrylic sealant will work. Gloss may be a better choice in this situation, but it's nowhere near essential. Mod podge makes some pretty good stuff for relatively cheap, but you can't go wrong with krylon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So I played Cuba Libre a couple of weeks back and even though I really like the game I'm starting to have some issues, especially with the Government faction. I know it is more or less a design aim, but the Government of CL is a 'win early or not win at all' faction and once it is past its moment in the spotlight, it is pretty much dead in the water. This can lead to situations in which the Government is just playing in order to keep the game going at the end without even a chance of victory. Has anyone experienced the same for CL?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kind of? I'm not as good as most of the other players, but I feel that even a successful government is often a rather passive one that relies on just trying to pull out a few targeted attacks and hope the rebels eat each other. CL is balanced enough that I rarely feel like I'm going to lose before at least the last campaign, but it's often kind of a long shot. I do also feel that DR and Syndicate are a little too passive, although that might just be because they're mostly played by newbies.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tekopo posted:

So I played Cuba Libre a couple of weeks back and even though I really like the game I'm starting to have some issues, especially with the Government faction. I know it is more or less a design aim, but the Government of CL is a 'win early or not win at all' faction and once it is past its moment in the spotlight, it is pretty much dead in the water. This can lead to situations in which the Government is just playing in order to keep the game going at the end without even a chance of victory. Has anyone experienced the same for CL?

Kind of? I've only played CL twice, but I was the government both times and that's more or less exactly how things worked out for me. Then again both times the Syndicate was just running its own show and didn't really care if I had any resources so it may have been a newbie thing and because in my group there's no chance the Syndicate is going to give funding to the Government due to our player mindset.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's an article on NR4: Italian Front on InsideGMT. I need to read it but I guess the map looks nice? I'm still reluctant to shell out money considering the issues with NR3 and how stale NR2 gets after a while.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

There's an article on NR4: Italian Front on InsideGMT. I need to read it but I guess the map looks nice? I'm still reluctant to shell out money considering the issues with NR3 and how stale NR2 gets after a while.

They replaced NR3's plans with leaders who have different abilities which I think work a lot better.

It feels like Carl is paring stuff down a bit more, I know at one point he had the idea of players switching sides in the middle of the game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ever since selling Fire in the Lake and feeling terrible remorse, I decided I'd buy Cuba Libre so that at least I'd have an intro COIN game to teach interested people.

This map is tiny! Wow, I'd seen it on VASSAL, but I pulled it out of the box and went, "wow... that's it?" Compared to the Fire in the Lake map, it's minuscule.

But, I'm sure that'll be better for an intro game :) I'm actually really excited to play it, I'm sure the small space will make for a more stressful situation.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, CL Is def the best intro to the series and it goes pretty well because the decision space is much more limited (and thus players are less prone to AP).

Also, good news for the Fields of Fire reprints/Fields of Fire II, it has been pushed back to the 1st Quarter 2016!

Wait, poo poo, that's bad news.

Still, at least we are getting EotS 2nd Edition (instabuy) in May and Churchill in June (tentative buy).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

Also, good news for the Fields of Fire reprints/Fields of Fire II, it has been pushed back to the 1st Quarter 2016!

Then it'll turn it's due to hiring Chad Jensen to rewrite the rulebooks and the joke's on us.

PS. Please shut up and let me dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, CL Is def the best intro to the series and it goes pretty well because the decision space is much more limited (and thus players are less prone to AP).

I keep not realizing that's you until I look at your name. Where's Sherman?!
Yeah, after I got the game set up for a solo trial last night I kept thinking, "hm, am I missing something? That can't be it, I have to be missing something." But really, I played through it and it was really familiar (since I know FitL) but at the same time really fresh. I like the casinos/cash mechanic, and the fact that M26 gets full-game capabilities while the Government only gets short-term momentems. Something about the COIN system is so elegantly adaptable to give an interesting historic feel.

Anyway, enough gushing.

Tekopo posted:

Wait, poo poo, that's bad news.

Still, at least we are getting EotS 2nd Edition (instabuy) in May and Churchill in June (tentative buy).

Good news for my wallet though! The designer is doing a testing run of his new rulebook, here's hoping it's somewhat intelligible compared to the 1st/2nd editions. Churchill looks really interesting, but I think it might be too Euro-y for my wargamer buddies and too wargame-y for my Euro buddies. I just got the latest C3i though, and haven't had a chance to read through the article on it, I may not be giving it enough credit.

Also, the next two COIN games (Liberty or Death, and Falling Skies) are scheduled tentatively for Q4 2015 and Q1 2016, respectively.