Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It would've taken a lot longer, but I would've preferred in the reward challenge if each participating member of the tribe had to go through the obstacle course alone and the next person couldn't start until the previous person hit one of the targets out in the field. It would've put more individual pressure on people, which I always like. Hali got bailed out since Jenn was able to hit two targets for the winning team.

Liking Sierra a lot right now, and it's great that her arc is incomplete since she still hasn't gotten revenge on Dan. I assume that is still coming. Dan and Rodney are really the only people left that I don't like very much and they're pretty tame. Hopefully it doesn't make for a boring post-merge game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Poque posted:

It would've taken a lot longer, but I would've preferred in the reward challenge if each participating member of the tribe had to go through the obstacle course alone and the next person couldn't start until the previous person hit one of the targets out in the field. It would've put more individual pressure on people, which I always like. Hali got bailed out since Jenn was able to hit two targets for the winning team.

My theory is that this is what it was going to be originally but they looked at what the post-merge teams looked liked and decided to change it to more possible for the red team to actually win.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I love this creepy lizard from last night/last week.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

omg yes the worm lizard!

By the way, I'm hoping next week has one of those tribal councils where like four different people receive votes. I think it's possible.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Mike throwing that challenge was making me cringe so hard. I half expected someone back on the mat to shout "What the gently caress are you doing, Mike?! Why are you telling her the solution?!" but I suppose it wasn't as obvious to the players as it was to us. They didn't seem that far away I could swear that they should be able to hear him.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Adus posted:

Mike throwing that challenge was making me cringe so hard. I half expected someone back on the mat to shout "What the gently caress are you doing, Mike?! Why are you telling her the solution?!" but I suppose it wasn't as obvious to the players as it was to us. They didn't seem that far away I could swear that they should be able to hear him.

I think it was more that literally everyone except Joe knew that it was going to happen.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I spent the second half of that episode just trying to will all the cool people to get together and make the right choice. I wanted Joe to talk to Joaquin and Sierra and peel Rodney off Joaquin. I felt bad for Joaquin for taking a hit, when they should have all just voted Rodney, but he didn't seem to get how much Sierra hates him. He seemed like a smart guy, but underneath I think he really did like Rodney, so ewww.

It sucks also that they're merging next week. I was hoping for an insane Rodney blow-up in a small camp, but now, he's going to have tons of people to scramble with

Sorry, I haven't been here in awhile... I forgot if "next-time-on's" are spoiler for survivor.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

I think it was more that literally everyone except Joe knew that it was going to happen.

Dan didn't seem like he was in on it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm really quite surprised Sierra didn't just say "I'll vote with you guys, but only if we take out Rodney rather than Joaquim". Seems like a pretty obvious play. One might argue that Rodney has value as a goat, but Dan is clearly a much better person for that role. Especially since they were aware that Rodney could go nuts as a result of Joaquim getting voted out.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Shakugan posted:

I'm really quite surprised Sierra didn't just say "I'll vote with you guys, but only if we take out Rodney rather than Joaquim". Seems like a pretty obvious play.

I thought that too about offering up Rodney to Sierra instead, but I think they were considering post-merger alliances. They didn't want Joaquin getting to stick around long enough to go back to any potential allies. At least with Rodney, he's a known commodity with nowhere else to turn, and they think they can probably continue to use him as needed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Also that Rodney is a doofus and probably not as socially savvy as Joaquin. They know Rodney would make a good goat but Joaquin is an unknown quantity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, taking out Rodney would have been a bad strategic move I think. It would have kept two white collars in your tribe, evened up the blue collar/other sides, and could come back on them hard. Rodney might throw a fit but he doesn't really have anywhere to go. If I was Sierra the only reason I'd push for Rodney to go first would be if I was planning to flip on Dan/Mike the next vote. But she can do that anyway if she really wants to.

Part of the game is living with personalities you dislike and Sierra was doing fine with that until Dan and Rodney started directly attacking her.

Codependent Poster posted:

Dan didn't seem like he was in on it.

My impression was that it was just Mike and Rodney in on it and no one else. And eventually Kelly.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, taking out Rodney would have been a bad strategic move I think. It would have kept two white collars in your tribe, evened up the blue collar/other sides, and could come back on them hard. Rodney might throw a fit but he doesn't really have anywhere to go. If I was Sierra the only reason I'd push for Rodney to go first would be if I was planning to flip on Dan/Mike the next vote. But she can do that anyway if she really wants to.

My thinking is that Sierra is otherwise clearly going to jump ship at some point, and cutting Rodney would have made her significantly more likely to stay loyal in the future. Sierra thinks of last nights eviction as "teaming up with the blue collars to stay alive, but really doesn't like the blue collars". If last night had been about evicting a blue collar, I don't know that she'd have thought about it in these terms. Because she could have rationalized it as brining Dan along as a goat, and he's the only one who voted with her last night that she truly despises. She'll be thinking they will want to reunite with Rodney during the final merge, and that'll make her much more likely to flip.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Sierra would have been able to convince Dan to vote Rodney and that would have been the sticking point. If she had really tried to push for Rodney I think Dan would gave run to him and spoiled the plan.

Plus she might figure that Rodney would do something stupid after losing his new bro which would turn the other blue collars against him and make him a target at the next tribal. I doubt she was anticipating a merge so soon after going to two tribes.

Edit - also she could think that she would be able to team up with Joe/Tyler and then all she needs is Mike and she can pick off the two people she really doesn't like from the blue tribe.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 26, 2015

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think Mike probably screwed up and should have booted Joe instead of Joaquin.

It's kind of hard to say completely for sure whether that's the case, but he could have had Rodney, Joaq, and Tyler all aligned with blue collar going into the merge, and one of the strong no collar players out of the game. Now Joe is still around to join back up with Jenn, Hali, and Will. Tyler will probably join up with them too because blue collar just voted against him last tribal, and Carolyn was with them before. That gives the no collars six people (and two idols) and puts blue collar in pretty bad shape, especially with Rodney ready to jump ship and Sierra and Shirin also free agents.

The redeeming aspects of the move are, I guess, that Tyler and Carolyn may not necessarily go that direction... and that this puts Mike more in the center of what he does still have, which is himself, Kelly, and Dan. If you let Joaq stay, and he's tight with Rodney and has Tyler, then Mike may end up on the periphery of his alliance. But they'll have their work cut out for them trying to cobble together a new majority. There's so many moving parts in play though, I guess anything can happen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So basically right now it's:

Group 1: Hali, Joe, Jenn, Will
Group 2: Mike, Dan, Kelly
Group 3: Carolyn, Tyler
Loose bits: Sierra, Shirin, Rodney

Jenn and Carolyn have idols. The blue camp presumably has an idol left unfound.

I doubt Sierra will jump back onto the blues, and Carolyn doesn't want to work with Shirin. Rodney will throw a fit, but he doesn't really have any other alliance partners aside from maybe Tyler. Otherwise right now it's No Collar's game to lose; they can appeal to Sierra, Shirin and the No Collars to get a commanding majority.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Rodney hosed up with Sierra. Rodneys group should've said "Who do you want to vote out? Dan? ok done!" and then just planned to get Joe later. It would've been a sign of good faith to Sierra that she is more than a number to them. Dan is such a liability to any alliance "Shut your mouth and open your ears..." that I'm amazed he's still around. I don't know if people are seeing him as the goatiest goat that ever goatted and are just trying to drag him to the end or what.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SalTheBard posted:

Dan is such a liability to any alliance "Shut your mouth and open your ears..." that I'm amazed he's still around. I don't know if people are seeing him as the goatiest goat that ever goatted and are just trying to drag him to the end or what.

Hahaha Dan was doing surprisingly well in that conversation (at least for him) up until that line. Having it followed up with Sierra's "I HATE Dan" confessional immediately after was hysterical.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TMMadman posted:

I don't think Sierra would have been able to convince Dan to vote Rodney and that would have been the sticking point. If she had really tried to push for Rodney I think Dan would gave run to him and spoiled the plan.

Plus she might figure that Rodney would do something stupid after losing his new bro which would turn the other blue collars against him and make him a target at the next tribal. I doubt she was anticipating a merge so soon after going to two tribes.

Edit - also she could think that she would be able to team up with Joe/Tyler and then all she needs is Mike and she can pick off the two people she really doesn't like from the blue tribe.

Yeah, the game is about staying good with as many potential allies as you can while setting up other people to fail. I think Sierra showed a good bit of game sense in there by looking past her personal dislike of Dan and distrust of Mike to just make a move that made sense. Rodney's toxic and a guy who is going to keep pissing people off and shooting himself in the foot. Joaquin has some charm and seems to be able to hide his douchiness so he's a bigger threat in the game even beyond his connections to the White Collars.

From Sierra's perspective this was a good vote. The Dan/Mike/Rodney grouping has been cracked, Tyler and Rodney lost a close ally and are kind of alone on the tribe now, and she voted with Joe so there's maybe some goodwill there. Plus Joe remains a massive target while Mike, Dan, and Rodney may turn on each other. Sierra's theoretically in that good position to sit back and let all the men take each other out and coast into the Final six or whatever. I think her most important play at this moment is the social game. She needs to make friends and stay good with people so no one feels the need to target her over one of the bigger threats and she sets up those end game alliances and jury votes.

If I'm Sierra I'm thinking "I hate Dan and Rodney... I wonder if I can get them to the end with me or if I can just use them as meat shields."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Joqauin's interview with Holmes was pretty good:

quote:

Holmes: You didn’t have the greatest love for “Survivor” before the game. Did you gain an appreciation for the show when you were out there?
Souberbielle: Yeah, man. I went into it…I was winging it. I didn’t know anything. But, it’s absolutely amazing. I hope I get the chance to do it again because now I know the ins and outs of how the game is really played. I’ll be a fan forever, honestly. I can’t wait to watch the rest of this season. I can’t wait to watch next season just to root these people on. It’s a cult. It’s a cult that I’m glad that I’m a part of.

The guy's still a bit arrogant (and apparently still best friends with Rodney), but I'll give him props for exiting with a smile and taking it with grace.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Poque posted:

Hahaha Dan was doing surprisingly well in that conversation (at least for him) up until that line. Having it followed up with Sierra's "I HATE Dan" confessional immediately after was hysterical.

My thoughts exactly.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That was the most horrible thing Dan has said up to this point I believe. I don't care what Tattoo Face says, he has some very obvious issues with women.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is there a podcast for this season?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elphiem posted:

http://robhasawebsite.com/category/survivor/

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Professor Shark posted:

That was the most horrible thing Dan has said up to this point I believe. I don't care what Tattoo Face says, he has some very obvious issues with women.
Don't be silly. Dan's probably talked to so many more girls than you have, so he obviously knows what he's talking about! Sooooooooo. Manyyyyyyy. Girlsssssss. :unsmigghh:

On a more serious note, I honestly think that's tied with his whole "listening like a girl" chestnut on the horrible-scale. Not quite as hostile, but holy gently caress was it disgustingly smug.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I wonder if Sierra will realize her power next episode, and organize a vote against either Rodney or Dan. Hopefully Dan, because I think Rodney has more comedic potential.
From a pure entertainment perspective, I'm rooting for either a Dan or a Tyler boot. Dan is a jackass and a ham, and Tyler's boring as hell (and it'd be really funny given the number of people predicting him to win).
Part of the exciting thing is that there's no way of knowing who's coming out on top next episode. Smart money is PROBABLY on the No Collars given they're a pretty strong 4 (though Will has been set up as a potential betrayer, FWIW), but the balance of power rests with who the remaining White Collars side with. Odds are good Tyler and Carolyn will work together, but will they move with Shirin? Will people start trying to be nice to Shirin to secure her vote?

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

Final 5 Prediction

Carolyn
Jenn
Joe
Hali
Tyler

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is the gif I've been waiting for! Whadda guy.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Overdrift posted:

I love this creepy lizard from last night/last week.

This needs to go into the pile with whoever curates the /MyPictures/Survivor/ picture pantheon along with eelbarf.gif, OMGspiders.gif, Earlnod.gif, Spyshackeyes.gif, lamprey.jpg, PBshambo.gif and countless others I've likely forgotten over the years.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

All the players have mics on them during challenges. They're sometimes visible. I'm sure that's why it seemed so loud and crystal clear.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He's very bird-like in those shots, trying to figure out what happened.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Elphiem posted:

Not only is there a podcast, there's a Shakespeare Lite sonnet:

quote:

A glooming peace this morning with it brings.
The sun for sorrow will not show his head;
Two lovers felt the wrath of Jeff Probst's stings,
One torch snuffed out and an alliance dead.
Never was a tale more deeply flawed
Than that of Joaquin and of his Rod...

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Met posted:

All the players have mics on them during challenges. They're sometimes visible. I'm sure that's why it seemed so loud and crystal clear.

Yeah I know they're on mics but I just figured the distance didn't look very far to where maybe someone could overhear. I imagine though that being outside in the open air means the sound doesn't travel well. At the time of viewing I was just waiting for someone to catch on though and it was anxiety-inducing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

Yeah I know they're on mics but I just figured the distance didn't look very far to where maybe someone could overhear. I imagine though that being outside in the open air means the sound doesn't travel well. At the time of viewing I was just waiting for someone to catch on though and it was anxiety-inducing.

I don't disagree with you. I had the same thoughts while watching it. I'm just guessing the mics made it seem far louder than it was.

I thought the hand gestures were what was going to get him in the end though.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

blue squares posted:

Like a yo-yo *does puppet hands*

This was easily the most hilarious part of the episode for me, even funnier than Mike's efforts to throw the challenge. Rodney is so stupid.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

I think Mike probably screwed up and should have booted Joe instead of Joaquin.

It's kind of hard to say completely for sure whether that's the case, but he could have had Rodney, Joaq, and Tyler all aligned with blue collar going into the merge, and one of the strong no collar players out of the game. Now Joe is still around to join back up with Jenn, Hali, and Will. Tyler will probably join up with them too because blue collar just voted against him last tribal, and Carolyn was with them before. That gives the no collars six people (and two idols) and puts blue collar in pretty bad shape, especially with Rodney ready to jump ship and Sierra and Shirin also free agents.

The redeeming aspects of the move are, I guess, that Tyler and Carolyn may not necessarily go that direction... and that this puts Mike more in the center of what he does still have, which is himself, Kelly, and Dan. If you let Joaq stay, and he's tight with Rodney and has Tyler, then Mike may end up on the periphery of his alliance. But they'll have their work cut out for them trying to cobble together a new majority. There's so many moving parts in play though, I guess anything can happen.

I'm surprised there weren't more people with this opinion. I mean, Rodney was allied with Mike, Kelly, and Dan against Lindsey pre-merge, then after the merge he became friends with Wok. He goes to Mike and straight TELLS him he's working an alliance with Wok, Rodney, Sierra, and Tyler. Then Mike gets the bright idea "Hey lets throw this challenge, save Lindsey, and we can go into the merge with Blue Collar 5 strong and along with Quinoa and Tyler making it a majority of 7 (I think?). To me, this put Mike as Rodney's number 2 even though he was ostensibly on the other side of the camp from Rodney's group of 4, kept safe by Rodney putting the eviction on Joe, saving them all from having Joe's rocking bod against them in the individual challenges.

Had Mike not gotten all weirded out by throwing the challenge, they could have just got Joe out 4-3. Then they go into the merge with 7-5, Dan or Sierra on the outs from their Tribe and Kelly and maybe Carolyn with them from the other tribe.

I think Rodney would have been fun to watch had it worked out that way.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Victorkm posted:

I think Rodney would have been fun to watch had it worked out that way.
Confidence breeds contempt.

There was a reason the edit made focus on Rodney and Joaquin hive fiving and chest bumping each other about how they were both going to "roll through" on the Easy Street they both thought they were on.

That kind of poo poo worked on early seasons... 30 seasons in, even the dumbest contestant has a bead on what time it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DaisyDanger posted:

This was easily the most hilarious part of the episode for me, even funnier than Mike's efforts to throw the challenge. Rodney is so stupid.

It should be in the thread title

• Locked thread