Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Do you guys have any tips on how to keep industrial traffic under control? No matter how many times I attempt to fix my road layout or ban heavy traffic I've got trucks stuck in gridlock for miles on end. It seems every time I try to reroute the bastards and free one part of my network they go and clog another. Considering just :killdozer: the entire industrial sector and moving it to some isolated part of the city where the only way in or out is through the highway. How do you guys keep the horde of trucks under control?

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Cargo Trains. Have train terminals near all your industry, and more near all your commercial areas and lot of trucks will use them, freeing up your main roads a fair amount. Stick one more Cargo Train Terminal down near the Cargo Docks to complete the effect.

You don't need to set up routes. Trucks will just take the train to the Commercial District and back again if they're far enough apart.

Fans fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 27, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:smug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:rimshot:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Most of the "crazy intersections" I have seen made in this game don't even come close to what real life has to offer on the subject.

meanwhile I'm over here having grown up in eastern Kansas and 99% of our highway access points look like this

...which Skylines kinda chokes on most of the time

still, never played a city sim that's allowed me to make properly quintessential Kansan cities/towns/suburbs/hamlets

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Christmas Present posted:

meanwhile I'm over here having grown up in eastern Kansas and 99% of our highway access points look like this

...which Skylines kinda chokes on most of the time

still, never played a city sim that's allowed me to make properly quintessential Kansan cities/towns/suburbs/hamlets

Hey man, at least we have a bizarre number of roundabouts in this state.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Yeah, those overpass exits work great for most of ... anywhere.

If anyone's interested, there are a bunch of those pre-made on the Workshop. They're called "Autobahn exits", so I guess it's not just a Midwest US thing either.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats just a bog-standard diamond interchange right? Albeit one being widened. They're not very high capacity, so its not too surprising the game chokes on them, especially the way the Cims handle merging. :v:

And drat, I need to do a rural county next. But right now I'm still working on custom building my one city's central park. :negative:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

DEO3 posted:

This is beautiful man. I love it when people hand craft small rural towns:

Those are excellent! Looks like real farmland. I'm gonna have to hit up the workshop for more park options.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Something is causing me to get Null Reference Errors when I load my city, and one of the times I tried loading it this thing was in front of the camera when the map loaded

:pwn:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
What happened to my city when I hit 280k population? I was rezoning some industrial into offices because I kept having education problems or something and there were some areas where I had a lot of abandoned industrial, but then suddenly I started getting tons of problems with my commercial saying not enough goods to sell and I added the industrial back in but then my city just went into a crazy death spiral and I can't get out of it, no matter how much or how many industrial areas I have the commercial keeps blowing up with not enough goods to sell...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hand crafting these parks is so :spergin: but man it'll (hopefully) look good when its done!

Now to surround these two with trees and move onto the last quadrant of the park.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Hey man, at least we have a bizarre number of roundabouts in this state.

oh yeah that is rad- I forgot about this exit near where I live:

(there's pretty much nothing north of I-70, save a KOA, a biker bar, some wetlands and flood plain farms)

I guess I don't really notice it until I'm driving around in Missouri, but I'm more distracted by the general sense of malaise I get in how the KC suburbs are planned over there.

Not sure why they exploded in Kansas, but they saved the neighborhood I grew up in; until sometime in the late 90s, these were all 4-way stops

Sheridan and Ridgeview are access roads that lead to major commercial/school/city service centers to the north, east, and south; going in any direction is also a valid route to and from I-35, as this point is roughly equidistant from three different exits. When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual for there to be cars inching forward, clogging Sheridan and Ridgeview for more than a block in either direction for about four hours out of the day- there's an elementary school a block east of there, and traffic would route around this snarl through residential areas, there was always some kid every year getting hit by an impatient driver, speed bumps were littering the streets; really, this area was designed pretty terribly, or without the idea that the town's population would triple in thirty years in mind.
Since the roundabouts, I've never seen traffic backed up further than two or three cars, and then only for a few seconds. A quick trip under the highway to the chinese restaurant on the older side of town no longer takes fifteen stupid goddamned minutes.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats just a bog-standard diamond interchange right? Albeit one being widened. They're not very high capacity, so its not too surprising the game chokes on them, especially the way the Cims handle merging. :v:

haha, yeah- also, I keep forgetting that the traffic solutions I see around me now are set up for really very sparsely populated areas; seems like the average cim needs about ten times the road capacity as the average human.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there any mod that unlocks everything you get from milestones at the beginning?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there any mod that unlocks everything you get from milestones at the beginning?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408881255

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Apparently my NullReferenceErrors were being caused by the Traffic++ mod, enabling either the fix for the missing one-way arrows or ghost mode completely fucks everything up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Listen Cities: Skylines, we need to talk

:confused: :negative:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Masa posted:

Apparently my NullReferenceErrors were being caused by the Traffic++ mod, enabling either the fix for the missing one-way arrows or ghost mode completely fucks everything up.

That mod was a lot more appealing when it was just zonable pedestrian paths and not a monolithic traffic fix mod that breaks everything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah. He really should've just made a new mod for all his other ideas. Has he uploaded the version from before he screwed the pooch asa stand alone?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can download previous versions in the form of source code from his git repository but that means compiling it yourself. More effort than I was willing to invest but it should be possible.

https://github.com/joaofarias/csl-traffic/commits/master/CSL-Traffic

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

oh yeah that is rad- I forgot about this exit near where I live:

(there's pretty much nothing north of I-70, save a KOA, a biker bar, some wetlands and flood plain farms)

A lot of the exits along I70 are like that, I'm actually surprised that the west Lawrence exit isn't connected to a roundabout as well, although there's one on Clinton, two or three by the Legends, and about a billion between Clinton and 6th. Weest Lawrence is pretty much roundabout central though, I think I drive through at least two every time I leave town. Even some of the rural highways are starting to get roundabouts, I think that 50 has at least two right now. I have no idea what is going on in this state.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
After the Lead Toy Factory now this.

I am a good city planner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Because the only character you can give your city is the layout of the roads. Hopefully one day there will be more to it, where one person's mostly-grid city look completely different from an others due to building massing, architecture, street styles.

I find you can do quite a lot by building parks, mass transit systems, variations of road sizes, devoting blocks to plazas, and using the high rise restriction districts to stagger your buildings.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

hailthefish posted:

You can download previous versions in the form of source code from his git repository but that means compiling it yourself. More effort than I was willing to invest but it should be possible.

https://github.com/joaofarias/csl-traffic/commits/master/CSL-Traffic

Can someone with the know-how compile this and upload it on the workshop by itself? C:S needs its own Gategate. (Context here if you don't normally partake in modder drama)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A lot of the exits along I70 are like that, I'm actually surprised that the west Lawrence exit isn't connected to a roundabout as well, although there's one on Clinton, two or three by the Legends, and about a billion between Clinton and 6th. Weest Lawrence is pretty much roundabout central though, I think I drive through at least two every time I leave town. Even some of the rural highways are starting to get roundabouts, I think that 50 has at least two right now. I have no idea what is going on in this state.

What's going on is a nationwide trend of switching from signaled intersections or 4-way stops to traffic circles because they are literally objectively better in every way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I pretend my cims are americans desperately trying to figure out roundabouts.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BobTheJanitor posted:

Can someone with the know-how compile this and upload it on the workshop by itself? C:S needs its own Gategate. (Context here if you don't normally partake in modder drama)

God drat that's some drama poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mutata posted:

What's going on is a nationwide trend of switching from signaled intersections or 4-way stops to traffic circles because they are literally objectively better in every way.

Not when your city decides that it's insanely cool to grow tallgrass and plant bushes and trees in the center of them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Not when your city decides that it's insanely cool to grow tallgrass and plant bushes and trees in the center of them.

Haha, well then you'll be glad to know that traffic circles reduce injuries during accidents by around 80% over regular intersections.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That's normal for a roundabout?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mutata posted:

Is there a way to make a traffic circle as compact as a 4-way stop? There's one by my apartment, and there's absolutely no room for gently caress all. And it's right by a lights, so during rush hour, it would be hosed and no one could use it. I'm curious to see how that could be solved.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

This is awesome

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013
Guys the first person camera mod is really great you should check it out if you haven't already, you can follow your cims!

https://vimeo.com/123378382

First-person camera: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406255342

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Found something that reminded me of this game so much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempegowda_Bus_Station

Elevated pedestrian walkways that lead into a giant circular bus terminal, directly next to a train station. This...this just feels so beautiful and right. I think I'm in love. :allears:

OwlFancier posted:

That's normal for a roundabout?

Speaking of, found this lovely one on the workshop. It's so pleasant looking!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405826175
And it's very small, like, really compact. Not the most compact you can get, but I think it's the most compact you can get with all that function. The pedestrian paths encourage people to walk too.

PT6A posted:

I'm curious to see how that could be solved.
Bulldoze everything, let god sort it out. :colbert:

I don't see how you can fix it without removing both to be honest.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Been doing some more work on my Springfield. I've gotten West Springfield stated to get some residency in an area that's not near Metro Center to spread things out a bit. Here's a view of things along the river so far.

I'm kinda indecisive about where I want to put my industrial zones so I just kinda shoved them near the I-291 interchange but that's not working so hot on the river side. I'm going to wind up relocating all of these zones somewhere else in the city. This spot on the right hand side is bad as it doesn't leverage the highway properly for things on the river side.

West Springfield. Most of this has been zoned all the way from the North End bridge to the Memorial bridge, but just not built yet.

A view down I-91 looking towards downtown and the South End. There should be a Basketball Hall of Fame here but I haven't found a suitable custom building yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PT6A posted:

Is there a way to make a traffic circle as compact as a 4-way stop? There's one by my apartment, and there's absolutely no room for gently caress all. And it's right by a lights, so during rush hour, it would be hosed and no one could use it. I'm curious to see how that could be solved.

Not really. You can make very small roundabouts but they're not suitable for high volume traffic or fast roads, you need more space for those.

You can, however, use the middle of the roundabout for something if you're in a sufficiently urbanised area, so the space isn't wasted.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This looks interesting: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414469593&searchtext=

Despite the gibberish at the bottom, it shows you how many "service points" a building is currently getting -- or more to the point, lacking.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

We have lots of roundabouts. :confused:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

SynthOrange posted:

We call them rotaries here in Massachusetts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bel Monte posted:

I don't see how you can fix it without removing both to be honest.

Part of the problem is that the lights were just added, because the LRT line was extended, so everything always gets backed up and it's terrible. I don't think it's possible to un-gently caress it at this point, it's better off to just avoid it all together.