Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or just don't put a number in there if it's not a work phone and you aren't paid for on-call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Is resignation an option when you just don't want to clean up someone else's mess? It's looking really attractive right now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Never underestimate the ability to remove yourself from caring about a situation. As long as you are aware that you are doing it, and it happens at the same time as job hunting, then it's preferable to just leaving.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Spazz posted:

Is resignation an option when you just don't want to clean up someone else's mess? It's looking really attractive right now.

If you're going to leave anyways you may as well preface it with "You don't pay me enough for this, would you like to?"

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Get a google voice number, put it in there, set call screening up, ignore anyone you don't recognize?

This may be the best decision I've ever made in my short IT career. I've had coworkers change their actual cell number after an annoying customer gets ahold of it. All I have to do it click a couple buttons and bam, new number without having to update all my friends and family. Being able to set a very small window of time where it actually rings is a nice perk too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i pay my guys a monthly stipend for phone use and tell them that if they give their number to clients they're a loving idiot

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a $25.00/month cell phone stipend. And they won't even give me, IS manager, it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's surprising, but even as a child of the internet age, I don't intuitively know much about Google voice. I'll have to look into it.

Spazz posted:

I know the topic is resignation not laying off, but a related anecdote that you didn't ask for. I worked with a guy who was getting poo poo piled onto him. Just endless. The harder he worked, the more they'd put on him. And then finally, as happens to middle management in acquisitions, he was let go. For the first two hours after I heard that, it was oh my god, how could they do that to him, that is so disrespectful after all that he did, that is unconscionable, I will write my congressman! But after I took a step back I realized, whoa, best thing that ever happened to the guy. California law so vacation doesn't go away, so I think he got like a 3 month severance and cashed out another 4 months of vacation. My god, enjoy the time off, then go get a job that treats you better. Getting laid off was a blessing for him.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I worked with a guy who was getting poo poo piled onto him. Just endless. The harder he worked, the more they'd put on him. And then finally...
Getting laid off was a blessing for him.

Wow something very similar happened to me just a few months ago. I kept telling myself they would recognize me for all that good work too. Happy about it all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The only problem with Google Voice is that it's one of the Google services that still doesn't really play well with multiple accounts. Hangouts mostly works, but the Google Voice app is still needed to have it prompt to make calls via GV over the PSTN. The Hangouts Dialer always wants to do a VoIP call which is fine when I have WiFi or good LTE but isn't really what I want in 3G and EDGE lands.

I still strongly recommend it for anyone who may need to give out a cell phone number. I work for a VoIP company, I can do pretty much what I want in our PBXes, but I still find GV to be easier to use as an alternate mobile number entirely because it integrates directly with the Android native dialer.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Get a google voice number, put it in there, set call screening up, ignore anyone you don't recognize?

Do this and set ring scheduling.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Spazz posted:

I did this from a job a couple years ago. We were doing a project that was impossible for us to accomplish. The boss kept talking about how much money we'd make if we did it, but it was so far out of what we could do that it was impossible to finish. It would have required nights and weekends for months since were replacing a live set of emergency telephony equipment for several buildings. There was absolutely no way I was going to do that, and then maybe scratch out a 3% raise, and 1k in bonus, if the boss was feeling generous.

I was so stressed and physical drained from working on the job my left eye developed a crazy stye. I talked to a recruiter, and in three days I had a job interview, and had a job offer a couple days later. I even took a personal day for the interview, and my boss was so upset I was taking a personal day he demanded I still come to work. I ended up going from the interview right to the client site and working all night. It was awful. When I quit he flipped out and asked me if I wasn't "man enough to to this project and make a bunch of money" I just laughed. Seriously, you kill yourself if you want.

Two years later, the project still isn't done, and they are totally replacing everything they did a second time since it doesn't meet the client needs.

So yes, resignation is totally a valid option. However as a poster mentioned earlier learn to just mentally punch out of the job and coast until you can find something else. Life is too short to be stuck in a job that just makes you miserable. Also, I'd gather that a job that makes you feel miserable is also underpaying you and under-valuing you, so if you bounce around a couple times you'll learn what the market is really like.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I've got 60 new Dell E7240 to give to managers. I pull up the list and make a count. 96 managers in total. Looks like I'm going to have a talk with the boss again. :bang:

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

o yes, resignation is totally a valid option. However as a poster mentioned earlier learn to just mentally punch out of the job and coast until you can find something else. Life is too short to be stuck in a job that just makes you miserable. Also, I'd gather that a job that makes you feel miserable is also underpaying you and under-valuing you, so if you bounce around a couple times you'll learn what the market is really like.

Listen to this, guys 'n gals.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

So yes, resignation is totally a valid option. However as a poster mentioned earlier learn to just mentally punch out of the job and coast until you can find something else. Life is too short to be stuck in a job that just makes you miserable. Also, I'd gather that a job that makes you feel miserable is also underpaying you and under-valuing you, so if you bounce around a couple times you'll learn what the market is really like.

Someone here suggested reading The No rear end in a top hat Rule and there's a relevant part -- in situations like this, it's best to approach it like you're in rapids and have fallen out of your boat. Keep your feet ahead of you, conserve your energy, and just push off from all the nasty rocks. You'll float through. :glomp:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HR is having coming to jesus meeting with old IBM guy in a few minutes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hallelujah.

If by any strange chance you have to take over his job, just remember that AS/400 commands are basically descriptions of what they do with the syllables squeezed down so each word is three characters ('power down system' is 'PWRDWNSYS' for example.) You can probably just guess half the poo poo you'd need to do and it'd be right.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Hallelujah.

If by any strange chance you have to take over his job, just remember that AS/400 commands are basically descriptions of what they do with the syllables squeezed down so each word is three characters ('power down system' is 'PWRDWNSYS' for example.) You can probably just guess half the poo poo you'd need to do and it'd be right.

I can do a few things on it, but it's mostly the crappy software package that we run on it that is going to take some figuring out. We have paid support from the vendor so it shouldn't be too hard after a few weeks. We also have a support contract for the i from ASK. Plus, I got our NetSuite proposal today which is what I want to switch to...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I announced I'm quitting a month ago.
My boss announced he's quitting next month.
And now another senior colleague announced he's quitting next month too.

That's 3 out of 8 people in my team leaving. I wonder whether any bells are gonna start ringing? Probably not.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Our IT department is hilarious(ly incompetent).

They decided to install wireless projectors in some of the conference rooms. Yesterday, I planned to use one of these conference rooms in the afternoon.

That morning, they sent out an email saying that the software they had told us to download a week ago was old and here's a new version! Thanks for sending us old software that doesn't work correctly.

With this new email yesterday morning was a link to a .bat file that copied profile settings. I run it and run the projector software but the profiles don't show up. That's weird, so I went to IT and asked the helpdesk woman what's up. First, she didn't know what I was talking about because I guess our IT department doesn't communicate with each other very well (there's two of them in that "group") and she didn't realize the projector was installed. Then she came over and took a look at the laptop but had no idea what she was really doing. Where should she look? What's she looking at? What's she looking for? Who knows! She got the other IT guy on the phone who (credit where credit is due, was on his lunch break but took the call anyway) but also had no idea. His reaction was to have her watch me run the .bat file, like it's possible to screw up running a .bat file if you're not braindead.

So then she steps out to talk with him a bit more, at which point I decide to actually look at the .bat file and notice that despite it trying to copy 2 files into 8 different locations, it's not actually copying into the location it needs to, which is in Program Files. Access denied. So I manually copy it over, get it working, and start my meeting.

It's a very small thing, but how do people like her get hired on for IT? She also sometimes puts her hands together and bows at me (I'm Chinese) when she says thank you. What the gently caress is that? Is she from an old racist kung fu movie?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

She also sometimes puts her hands together and bows at me (I'm Chinese) when she says thank you. What the gently caress is that? Is she from an old racist kung fu movie?

That is the worst thing in this entire post.

Also hilarious.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Thank you for doing the needful, totalnewbie-san

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Is this where I complain about software development? :v:

So, a few months ago my employer decided he wanted to make it so that one of our programs could copy its database state over to a server in our office, to allow us to take over some functions that support always has to walk people through anyway. Of course, we can also charge extra for this service.

I set up a whole kick-rear end webservice and database to do this, and it sends email alerts containing session ID codes to all the relevant parties, with functions for both importing and exporting, and querying for new data compared to last time. All secure with TLS encryption and user authentication and all that jazz. I gave documentation for accessing all the SOAP functions and such to the guy who programs the original software, along with the two people who write up his specs and stuff, and the whole thing kind of went on the back burner for a while because he had other projects and I needed to do a bunch of stuff with our various hosting solutions.

Fast-forward today, when I found out that, this whole time, everybody had just kind of ignored my server and document, and have just been swapping files on the test server back and forth using ftp. The support lady wants to know if I can still make it send emails to her :suicide:

Allegedly there is a meeting about the project tomorrow. I wonder if I should drop everything in the morning and make a bitter powerpoint about how my server works.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

totalnewbie posted:

Our IT department is hilarious(ly incompetent).

They decided to install wireless projectors in some of the conference rooms. Yesterday, I planned to use one of these conference rooms in the afternoon.

That morning, they sent out an email saying that the software they had told us to download a week ago was old and here's a new version! Thanks for sending us old software that doesn't work correctly.

With this new email yesterday morning was a link to a .bat file that copied profile settings. I run it and run the projector software but the profiles don't show up. That's weird, so I went to IT and asked the helpdesk woman what's up. First, she didn't know what I was talking about because I guess our IT department doesn't communicate with each other very well (there's two of them in that "group") and she didn't realize the projector was installed. Then she came over and took a look at the laptop but had no idea what she was really doing. Where should she look? What's she looking at? What's she looking for? Who knows! She got the other IT guy on the phone who (credit where credit is due, was on his lunch break but took the call anyway) but also had no idea. His reaction was to have her watch me run the .bat file, like it's possible to screw up running a .bat file if you're not braindead.

So then she steps out to talk with him a bit more, at which point I decide to actually look at the .bat file and notice that despite it trying to copy 2 files into 8 different locations, it's not actually copying into the location it needs to, which is in Program Files. Access denied. So I manually copy it over, get it working, and start my meeting.

It's a very small thing, but how do people like her get hired on for IT? She also sometimes puts her hands together and bows at me (I'm Chinese) when she says thank you. What the gently caress is that? Is she from an old racist kung fu movie?

You don't happen to also work for a massive software company based out the pacific northwest do you?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You don't happen to also work for a massive software company based out the pacific northwest do you?

Nope. I work in a completely different industry in a completely different part of the country.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bob Morales posted:

Old AS/400 guy did something with the iSeries last night. Bunch of tickets this morning with people having slow logins, 'Internet not working', that sort of thing. I never logged out so everything appeared fine, until I noticed I had 2 DNS servers that were public, Verizon 63.98.26.67 and something on the same subnet.

Because of the Verizon IP I assumed someone plugged a MyFi or something in somewhere, but we couldn't find one. Started a tool to look for rogue DHCP servers, and found one with some Serbian IP (109.something, /24 network mask). That's weird.

30 minutes in I asked the old guy, "Do you have DHCP running on the iSeries for some reason?"
"Well, it should be."
"No, it shouldn't. It better not. Can you check?"
"Well it needs it for the connection..." then he stumbled into his office

He never comes out with an answer, so 15 minutes later I fire up iNavigator, and sure enough there's a DHCP server running and a scope that matches the one our LAN uses, and the DNS servers are those 63.whatever IP addresses are. Mother fucker.

I stopped and disabled the server and deleted that scope. :argh:

So incompetent that he doesn't know what he's doing and so incompetent that he can't even check something I ask.

He told our receptionist to 'go have a heart attack' yesterday so I was hoping they would have fired him then.

How do you accidentally create a DHCP Server?

Either way, if I did and wanted to be a dick about I'd say something about how ole' reliable AS/400 makes a better DHCP than those Winblows boxes :dukedog:

Also, if you have software maintenance of the 400 you should be able to call IBM and ask general questions. Technically, they're only suppose to do break/fix but if your nice they'll help.

J
Jun 10, 2001

m.hache posted:

A business I work for on the side has a user (one of the owners) that keeps all of his passwords in a word file in his My Documents.

Including all of your Adultery dating websites. Nothing like watching him scroll through a list of passwords looking for the quickbooks login to see "Ashley Madison, Plenty of Fish, Cougar Hunter, D Link..."

Hahaha, gently caress.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Tab8715 posted:

Click "next" a lot without reading anything, I assume.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Either way, if I did and wanted to be a dick about I'd say something about how ole' reliable AS/400 makes a better DHCP than those Winblows boxes :dukedog:

Also, if you have software maintenance of the 400 you should be able to call IBM and ask general questions. Technically, they're only suppose to do break/fix but if your nice they'll help.

I'm pretty sure IBM Old-Guy deliberately created a DHCP server.

quote:

30 minutes in I asked the old guy, "Do you have DHCP running on the iSeries for some reason?"
"Well, it should be."
"No, it shouldn't. It better not. Can you check?"
"Well it needs it for the connection..." then he stumbled into his office

Because AS/400 and gently caress-you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

He had installed updates from IBM. PTF files, and they turned DHCP on, I confirmed this with the company we contract for AS/400 support. At some point I the past we did use it for dhcp. Old guy is an 'expert' yet he can't install new disks. I could have done it I'm sure but we already pay them so...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

He had installed updates from IBM. PTF files, and they turned DHCP on, I confirmed this with the company we contract for AS/400 support. At some point I the past we did use it for dhcp. Old guy is an 'expert' yet he can't install new disks. I could have done it I'm sure but we already pay them so...

Ok, but this raises two other questions.

Why the hell do updates change the system config? That would be pretty infuriating if it futzed with other services.

And, how does he not know his system state before the updates if this is a *thing* with PTFs from IBM?

I guess these are rhetorical, but drat.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not disputing that it's a bad question. It's a standard one to ask even for entry-level positions but I am curious as to what the answer he was looking for.

Nothing complicated at all, which is why my mind is blown that people with "ten years of experience in infrastructure and network" can't even make a stab at it.

If you mention that one blasts packets and doesn't listen for a response and the other uses acknowledgements you are well on your way.

If you can tell me that TCP is more reliable than UDP because the destination acknowledges receipts, even better.

If you can tell me that UDP is more lightweight than TCP and is used in fire-and-forget communication like streaming applications, you are solid.

If you can tell me a TCP / UDP / SYN joke and tell me why its funny then we are loving done with networking fundamentals.

Then I'll switch topics on you and move to high availability, vertical/horizontal scaling, encryption in transit and at rest, databases, linux/windows operation, 3-tier architecture, etc and like I said, two in twenty will make it through to the on-site.

For those who haven't been to the SH/ST jobs thread, this is the job: Senior Cloud Technical Account Manager at Amazon Web Services. Offices in Seattle, DFW, Virginia, Boston, Ireland, Frankfurt, Japan, Australia, South Africa with 100% telecommuting an option as well.

Send me your CV to my user name at gmail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flosofl posted:

Why the hell do updates change the system config? That would be pretty infuriating if it futzed with other services.

And, how does he not know his system state before the updates if this is a *thing* with PTFs from IBM?
He lacks the skill set to do his job. Been here 20 years doesn't know basic network concepts. Worked at a grocery store chain for ten years before that, Kroger (larger grocery chain) bought them out and they let him go soon after. Brags about how he contracted with them for a year after for $200/hr

He is also a big jerk and is mean to everyone, slow to get things done, refuses to learn... I feel kinda bad but we have no use for him in our department.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Nothing complicated at all, which is why my mind is blown that people with "ten years of experience in infrastructure and network" can't even make a stab at it.

If you mention that one blasts packets and doesn't listen for a response and the other uses acknowledgements you are well on your way.

If you can tell me that TCP is more reliable than UDP because the destination acknowledges receipts, even better.

If you can tell me that UDP is more lightweight than TCP and is used in fire-and-forget communication like streaming applications, you are solid.

If you can tell me a TCP / UDP / SYN joke and tell me why its funny then we are loving done with networking fundamentals.

Then I'll switch topics on you and move to high availability, vertical/horizontal scaling, encryption in transit and at rest, databases, linux/windows operation, 3-tier architecture, etc and like I said, two in twenty will make it through to the on-site.

For those who haven't been to the SH/ST jobs thread, this is the job: Senior Cloud Technical Account Manager at Amazon Web Services. Offices in Seattle, DFW, Virginia, Boston, Ireland, Frankfurt, Japan, Australia, South Africa with 100% telecommuting an option as well.

Send me your CV to my user name at gmail.

Ah hah,

Unfortunately, I'm happy employed and completely at a loss with the rest unless you want to dive into those too? :angel:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Agrikk posted:

I'd tell you a UDP joke, but I don't know if you'll get it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

I guess these are rhetorical, but drat.

I'd be shocked if a PTF enabled a service and I'm sure we'd be hearing of it. AS/400 back in the day were used for DHCP Server plenty and I doubt most admins actually deleted the scopes but just disabled the service.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd tell you a UDP joke, but I don't know if you'll get it.

TCP in the streets, UDP in the sheets. :wink:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Easy, strtcpsvr (*all) :haw:

(What do you mean I only needed to start Telnet????)

((Also there's not a chance in hell a ptf just starts DHCP for you lmao))

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Easy, strtcpsvr (*all) :haw:

(What do you mean I only needed to start Telnet????)

((Also there's not a chance in hell a ptf just starts DHCP for you lmao))

Is there somewhere I can check to see if he manually did it? He installed some ptf's and did an IPL and then the problems started. He does an IPL like...weekly and this never happened before

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Not sure but I'd imagine you'd at least be able to tell the exact time when the service was activated. If you have software maintenance I'd give IBM a call, they'd know exactly what to look for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

He lacks the skill set to do his job. Been here 20 years doesn't know basic network concepts. Worked at a grocery store chain for ten years before that, Kroger (larger grocery chain) bought them out and they let him go soon after. Brags about how he contracted with them for a year after for $200/hr

He is also a big jerk and is mean to everyone, slow to get things done, refuses to learn... I feel kinda bad but we have no use for him in our department.

Wow small world I've heard of this guy I did IT support for the company Kroger bought out.