Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

berserker posted:

RIP Jason Jones :(

God drat comedy central is hosed, everyone is leaving :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Great montage for Jones.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What is this whole thing about "Fox News was right" that Jon has been going on? "Not having sufficient evidence to press charges about this one racially-centered case" does not equate to "you were right about this whole racial discrimination thing being a hoax."

Even feigning giving them credit whatsoever for that is pretty gross to me.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Is this the guy that made Black Fish or something? I really want to watch it but I don't want to feel bad :saddowns:

Edit: \/\/ Yeah I know, it's in my queue I just always go passed it cos I know it is a downer. I already hate sea world just from hearing about it.

Winkie01 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 27, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Winkie01 posted:

Is this the guy that made Black Fish or something? I really want to watch it but I don't want to feel bad :saddowns:

I think it's still on Netflix, it's really good. But it will make you completely hate Sea World forever.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm going to miss Jason. :(

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
Oh God, I remember that interview with that stupid woman.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Winkie01 posted:

He was just in it.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

raditts posted:

I think it's still on Netflix, it's really good. But it will make you completely hate Sea World forever.

As we all should. gently caress Sea World.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"If you get rid of the fraternities and sororities nobody goes to college," my God this woman is an idiot.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I want a crushed iced blow job

Also what a god drat waste of having someone like Robert Reich on your show.

Fire Larry hire the other black guy to host.

Winkie01 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 27, 2015

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I can't explain it but ever since He announced he was retiring I'm just not interested in watching his show as much as I Was in the past.

Is anyone else feeling like this?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One of my favorite Jason Jones bits that rarely gets mentioned and wasn't seen in last night's montage was his 2007 bit about Laguna Beach.
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/7w5l5w/laguna-beach-pt-1
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/uajz8h/laguna-beach-pt--2

On rewatch it wasn't as funny as I remembered it; and more credit probably should be given to the DOP for mimicking LB so well, but it's probably one of the earlier Jones pieces that I remember fondly.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sorry for the double post, but Trevor Noah might be the front runner?

I didn't know he had a show under his belt already.

Edit: Just a friendly "look out!" if anyone tries to pull an April Fools a few days early. But this shouldn't be one.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 28, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was actually kind of thinking Noah during his last appearance. He's an interesting correspondent. He plays it 100% straight in his segments so he isn't going to stand out for laughs but he's got a really good presence and is probably the most composed they have with the best delivery. Having previous hosting experience explains that a bit But it also makes him qualified in a way that a lot of the suggested names don't work for me. I love Jason Jones and Samantha Bee but they never felt right to me to replace Stewart. Williams I'm not sure about. But Noah has the right voice and temperament, I think.

It doesn't bother me that much that everyone is leaving because everyone is leaving. It's the end of an era and I can make peace with that. Stewart, Oliver, Colbert, Jones, Bee. It's just the end of that show/era and I'm ok with that. Things end. It's sad but it happens to everything. To me it's always a little tougher to watch when the whole thing is drawn out and it just bleeds out slowly.

It's basically like a championship caliber team whose legends all retire at once or in a couple of years. It's sad to see them go but it can be fun to watch the new kids build something new. It's a lot less fun to watch all those vets get old and just delay the change.

Once Stewart retires I think it will be easier to watch a show forge a new path with Noah, Williams, Klepper, Minhaj,, and whoever else. I think it situations like this the new generation really can't make their way until the past generation gets out of the way. So I think it's kind of a blessing in disguise that everyone is leaving. Maybe the new(er) people won't make it work but at least it will be their show.*

*I realize that's not necessarily true since you have writers and producers who will probably carry over but I like to credit the Daily Show for always having a large cast of voices they showcase well in different ways. When Oliver was the host we were getting the proto Last Week, not a Stewart stand in. So whoever takes over I trust the staff will write for them and not a departed Stewart.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

Sorry for the double post, but Trevor Noah might be the front runner?

I didn't know he had a show under his belt already.

Edit: Just a friendly "look out!" if anyone tries to pull an April Fools a few days early. But this shouldn't be one.

When I saw the news I realized that I hadn't even considered Noah for the job, yet he feels like a great option. He is charming, funny, plays the straight man pretty well, he is not American meaning he can give the show a different approach and he already has experience. I hope the rumors are true, since it will be a very interesting choice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably the best choice out of everyone who is left.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know, I don't think he's there yet. He lacks any kind of gravitas, maybe give him a few more years, but right now I'm not seeing it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know, I don't think he's there yet. He lacks any kind of gravitas, maybe give him a few more years, but right now I'm not seeing it.

So did Jon when he was right off of MTV.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GreenNight posted:

"Yeah! Who's this loving amateur? Craig Kilborn 4eva!"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Expectations are a million times higher now. I think he's a good correspondent, but I don't see him inspiring much passion or enthusiasm as a follow-up to Jon. I'm not gonna be bummed if he gets it, but I think they need someone who will make you go "that's loving perfect", and I don't think he's it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trevor Noah has, or at least had a couple weeks ago, a documentary up on Netflix about him putting together South Africa's first Comedy One Man Show. It was pretty good and goes into his first appearances on the Daily Show. The only issue with him taking over the Daily Show is he'd have to move to the US full time, which he seemed somewhat reluctant to do.

A more outside perspective Daily Show could be pretty interesting.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Noah seems like a fine choice to me. In addition to what has already been said about him, he's also young, which I think is really important - he can sit and actually grow in the role, much like Stewart did. Hell, I think that's half the problem with Nightly Show - I had no idea until a few weeks ago that Wilmore is actually older than Stewart, and it explains so much about what I find to be wrong with that show.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Yeah! Who's this loving amateur? Craig Kilborn 4eva!"

I remember his first four episodes. Craig had done five dumb questions to his celebrity guest every day for years so Jons first week was a nicotine patch to walk us down. 4 questions, 3, 2, and then one, and done. The format had changed and it was official. I thought it was so loving condescending at the time to say haha gently caress the old guy I'm doing things my way.

Now, I literally can't even remember a single funny thing craig kilbourne ever said or did. I can't remember a thing about him. I think he had red hair?

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Once Stewart retires I think it will be easier to watch a show forge a new path with Noah, Williams, Klepper, Minhaj,, and whoever else. I think it situations like this the new generation really can't make their way until the past generation gets out of the way. So I think it's kind of a blessing in disguise that everyone is leaving. Maybe the new(er) people won't make it work but at least it will be their show.*

i read that as minaj at first.

she'd be a good host.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Krinkle posted:

I remember his first four episodes. Craig had done five dumb questions to his celebrity guest every day for years so Jons first week was a nicotine patch to walk us down. 4 questions, 3, 2, and then one, and done. The format had changed and it was official. I thought it was so loving condescending at the time to say haha gently caress the old guy I'm doing things my way.

Now, I literally can't even remember a single funny thing craig kilbourne ever said or did. I can't remember a thing about him. I think he had red hair?

Anything good you can remember about the Kilborn era is probably attributable to the novelty of the concept at the time and the correspondents he had.

But yeah, nobody remembers that the beginning of Stewart's run was awful too, in addition to it being a year or so until he really settled into the role, almost all the old correspondents jumped ship so he was stuck with the likes of loving Mo Rocca.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

Trevor Noah has, or at least had a couple weeks ago, a documentary up on Netflix about him putting together South Africa's first Comedy One Man Show. It was pretty good and goes into his first appearances on the Daily Show. The only issue with him taking over the Daily Show is he'd have to move to the US full time, which he seemed somewhat reluctant to do.

A more outside perspective Daily Show could be pretty interesting.

What was that called?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You Laugh But It's True

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
mo rocca was funny

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Afro posted:

mo rocca was funny

He's currently the second-most annoying panelist on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

zakharov posted:

He's currently the second-most annoying panelist on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

PJ O'Rourke takes the number one spot by a long shot.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

raditts posted:

Anything good you can remember about the Kilborn era is probably attributable to the novelty of the concept at the time and the correspondents he had.

But yeah, nobody remembers that the beginning of Stewart's run was awful too, in addition to it being a year or so until he really settled into the role, almost all the old correspondents jumped ship so he was stuck with the likes of loving Mo Rocca.

Wasn't A Whitney Brown a daily show correspondent in the before times? Like the only place I ever saw him before or since was on the 80s reruns of SNL back before comedy central lost the rights.

Mo Rocca was funny on the daily show but then he hosed off to who knows where and I think the last place I saw him were phone commercials?

Things I can barely remember makes for some riviting posting I'm real proud I typed these words, I tell you what.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I thought Beth Littleford was a fantastic correspondent and holds her own against any of this era's correspondents.

I really would prefer Assif if they are going to hire from within.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I really like Trevor Noah but it would seem really weird to have a non-American host a show that is like 85%+ about American politics. At least John Oliver has been living there for years now, and has basically adopted the country.

Still, it is entertainingly odd that the UK comedy scene seems to be colonising the US late-night schedule.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Pillowpants posted:

I can't explain it but ever since He announced he was retiring I'm just not interested in watching his show as much as I Was in the past.

Is anyone else feeling like this?

I know I am. I used to refresh the webpage over and over until the new episode was posted (gently caress cable) and now I just watch a bunch of shows all in one shot once a week or so. It sucked all of my motivation/excitement out of the show for me. I don't want Jon to go yet. :(

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Comrade Fakename posted:

I really like Trevor Noah but it would seem really weird to have a non-American host a show that is like 85%+ about American politics. At least John Oliver has been living there for years now, and has basically adopted the country.

Still, it is entertainingly odd that the UK comedy scene seems to be colonising the US late-night schedule.

Not just basically, Oliver's an American citizen.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kayakyakr posted:

Not just basically, Oliver's an American citizen.

And married to a veteran. That is pretty drat American.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Afro posted:

mo rocca was funny

Not the "ha-ha" kind of funny, he wasn't.

Krinkle posted:

Wasn't A Whitney Brown a daily show correspondent in the before times? Like the only place I ever saw him before or since was on the 80s reruns of SNL back before comedy central lost the rights.

Yeah, he was, and SNL is the only other place I've seen him since then, too.

Spoke Lee posted:

I thought Beth Littleford was a fantastic correspondent and holds her own against any of this era's correspondents.

I agree, and it's a shame she's gone on to have an incredibly unremarkable career since then.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 30, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I respect Noah's comedy but I'm really not for it. It's just too tame for me. I like something with a bit of bite and I feel like for a mixed man from South Africa, there should be a lot who could talk about and rip up. I think John Oliver enhanced the Daily Show through his presence and his ability to mock English culture or call out America for doing similar bullshit or for dragging England down along with it.

But Noah's used so sparsely and his standup special didn't really do it for me, although I was a bit distracted. All in all, I could see him making a good host if he got his mitts a bit messier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I was watching Going Clear tonight and it used scenes from Tom Cruise's infamous Scientology video. I remember at least five or more years ago, Stephen Colbert did a bit where he did a pitch perfect impression of Cruise's crazy laugh in the video. Does anyone know where I can find a clip of that?

• Locked thread