Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They might not be your De Jure vassals.

Humm, that's it. I didnt knew it only affected de jure vassals.

Many of my vassal kingdoms are not my de jure yet. And now that you mention it, they are the ones doing declaring wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

verbal enema posted:

Can I get some tips for starting as a Muslim in Spain at the 1066 start?

Conquer Aquitaine and let the Catholics destroy the Abbasids. Restore the rightful Caliph to his throne.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The 1066 start is the one with all the little Muslim dukes right? I might be thinking of a different start

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's either taifas (1066), blobs, or screwed (late game).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Still chugging away, throwing the Welsh out of Ireland, county by county, not hard as they're fighting a massive revolt at the same time.

My amazing 60-year reign King died and his son isn't too bad considering he was the spare and the original heir died at 21. No sign of plots just yet. Problem is that he has no kids despite being Midas Touched and married to another Midas Touched for 6 years. Game over if he dies :ohdear: Stay safe and make babies, Fursu.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Any idea what could possibly randomly turn the Roman Empire into a theocracy? I'm playing the empress of Rome and I suddenly don clerical robes and hit a game over screen. Didn't happen again when I restarted from the autosave, hopefully whatever happened won't occur again.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Any idea what could possibly randomly turn the Roman Empire into a theocracy? I'm playing the empress of Rome and I suddenly don clerical robes and hit a game over screen. Didn't happen again when I restarted from the autosave, hopefully whatever happened won't occur again.

Might you have inherited the papacy or something?
Actually are there any empire-level theocracy titles? I thought they were all kingdom levels, so they shouldn't become primaries and end your run, right?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Actually are there any empire-level theocracy titles? I thought they were all kingdom levels, so they shouldn't become primaries and end your run, right?

Sure there are. I posted the byzantine theocracy I had going in my game earlier in the thread

Excelzior posted:

byzantines

what are you doing

...yes, that's a theocratic, catholic Byzantine empire

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have a theocratic, Orthodox Byzantine Empire because somehow the Ecumenical Patriarch got put on the throne.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Papacy? As a woman? I do have the Pope as a vassal, since Rome is Catholic in my game (it started as a Charlemagne form HRE game, but turned into a reform Rome game when he married the Byzantine empress after the Lombard Queen divorce and hooked his son up to inherit both empires) , maybe it fell to me by default because the Cardinals were indecisive?

I really wish this game would let you scroll around and observe the world after the game over so I can see what the hell happened.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 26, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's a good start date/ruler for someones first attempt at being a viking raider?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Skwirl posted:

What's a good start date/ruler for someones first attempt at being a viking raider?

1066 Eric the Heathen. :black101:

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Does anyone want to recommend a good India start?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I like Ivar the Boneless (starts in Britain) in Old Gods, and Sigurd the Ring (in Sweden) in Charlemagne. I'm currently doing the latter, had a relatively easy time uniting the Norse in my first ruler's lifetime, while raiding anyone I could reach (no boats for the first decade or two, then things get crazy). I posted a play-by-play within the last few pages.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Morkyz posted:

Does anyone want to recommend a good India start?

I'd start as a Hindu somewhere in like, Punjab. When you can't do a subjugation war on other Indians, you can expand into Muslim land. Once you become Emperor of Rajastan you can expand very rapidly just by pressing people's claims on every other kingdom on the subcontinent.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Since I installed WoL, it seems like s a few of the flags have become featureless and black. Anyone else have this problem?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
As a Seljuk, I've had revolts. Tons and tons of revolt. Averaging out about 3 at a time, mostly religious, though that's calming down now that I retook Mecca and Medina from the Shias.

There's this one revolt, by a random guy, that is stuck at 20%. It's a Nestorian religious revolt with no armies up, and its leader is always "Leading Troops in _____." Damned if I can find him. I tried assassinating him, didn't work, then he died a natural death, and someone inherited the non-revolt. I tried reloading (I'm in Ironman) but it's still there, meaning I'm never "at peace" and I can't go on the Hajj.

Update: I've tried offering him White Peace or even Surrender of whatever territory he's claiming, but no go.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 26, 2015

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You are the chosen warrior of God. Your hand moves by the will of the Greatest.

This is the only correct answer.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I like Ivar the Boneless (starts in Britain) in Old Gods, and Sigurd the Ring (in Sweden) in Charlemagne. I'm currently doing the latter, had a relatively easy time uniting the Norse in my first ruler's lifetime, while raiding anyone I could reach (no boats for the first decade or two, then things get crazy). I posted a play-by-play within the last few pages.

Halfdan Whiteshirt is a pretty interesting start since the tribal changes. He's one of the only starts where you are unreformed but already feudal which can be pretty nice.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Oh, I didn't notice that. Maybe I'll try him next, the Norse are really fun.

The last time I played Ivar was before Charlemagne. It was awesome, I had reformed the faith and somewhere around 7--9 kingdoms (British Isles and Scandinavia and maybe Frisia) by the time Ivar died. When he died I had his successor rename the empire "The Great Boneless Empire". Cascading vassalization offers are really powerful if you can get a Kingdom while most of your religion is independent counts (and then get an Empire while the rest are still Dukes).

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

When he died I had his successor rename the empire "The Great Boneless Empire".
I'm guessing their mortal enemies are:

(What's the source of that image anyway?)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lord Hydronium posted:

Some one was trying to make a fantasy mod and their Skeleton army was too powerful.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm guessing their mortal enemies are:

Unfinished mod

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am working on setup for a succession game (holla if you'd like in) and I've discovered two things: The fix for endless levies that are constantly warring with you does not work if you turn off Rajas, and also how much I loathe vanilla's endless series of vassal wars.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just got a rather strange bug, or at least I think it's a bug.
There was a independence revolt against me lead by the duke of Damascus but the kings of Denmark, Aquitaine and the knights templar joined in as well. Sometime into the rebellion after I had managed to crush most of their armies and was starting to focus on laying siege to their holdings something changed. Suddenly instead of being a emperor of the British revolt the duke of Damascus became just a duke, the "British revolt" disappeared and all the other rebels dropped out of the war and went independent.
Not quite sure how any of this happened.

The Golden Horde took Constantinople from me some time back and even though I managed to take it back they had already changed the culture to mongol and religion to Tengri. Should I convert to mongol and get access to tribal conquest?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Looking for someone to replace me in the Song of Lies and Ire CK2 mp lp. I can't make the time slot anymore.

It's in a strong position. It's about to receive Padua from Lombardy at the start tomorrow and has lots of gold saved up, fresh levies, good allies and is about to be made march of the east. Anyone who wants to give it a shot post here with "##Stand and claim Carinthia." http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703017&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

When the game starts: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20150328T0830&p0=402&fg1=dec680&fg2=000&msg=Landfrieden%3A+1078+AD

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 26, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Had to give up on my Seljuk game (was going for getting the Empire of Rajastan, holding both titles, then converting Rajastan to Islam). I was almost ready to form the Empire of Rajastan when the game just collapsed because of a couple super-powerful decadent relatives that I couldn't imprison, including myself apparently. I did get the achievement for crushing a Decadence revolt, but then a second rose up at the same time as a bunch of other major revolts, and I had to call it. Fuckin' Ironman.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

When he died I had his successor rename the empire "The Great Boneless Empire".

Whatcha gonna do when Charlemania runs wild on you?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can it happen naturally that your children never receive any education events if you educate them personally? One of my kids made it to age 16 without a single event, and the other is 8 and hasn't had any events. Considering the usual rate I'm used to, it feels like a bug. And since I installed a bunch of mods, it probably is a bug.

I have installed:

Better Vassals/Courtiers
Bloody Peasants!
Let my music play!
Ruler Designer Unlocked
Status of Women - A Law Mod
Strudel Fix
Unique Buildings
Your Personal Castle
[VS]Damascus Steel + Ancient Swords
[VS]Historical Bloodline Traits Only

e: it was Strudel Fix.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 27, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I have a kinsman that's both slow, and with a fairly high learning score (14)

She was betrothed to King Erc, but he died from a blow to the head that left him comatose. :(

After he died, it was succession crisis du jour. Though I didn't lose anything! Miracles!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So I'm a king and I joined the independence faction in the HRE, led by a duke. The duke starts the independence war, and now only battles his armies fight contribute to the warscore, so I've got to attach my entire army to his and hope he doesn't park it somewhere in the Alps and eat all the attrition, and hope he doesn't peace out early.

I'm savescumming like crazy trying to see this war through to the end and getting fed up. What do I have to edit in the savefile to make my character the leader of the revolt?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Started playing this recently and managed to conquer newb island (Ireland) and make a few in roads into Wales and Scotland before it all went to poo poo again

Where is a more fun place to play cause I'm kind of sick of Ireland after having started a few games there?

I guess I have a few gameplay questions as well. My current game went to poo poo because of inheritance, basically I lost a bunch of counties because some peeps got caught up in the English rebellion. They had relations there which may have been my fault. I'm not 100% on that.

What's the fastest way to get a succession that isn't gavelkind because that seems to really gently caress me in the long term.

How do you develop your economy properly? The way it seems to go is I have fairly little cash on hand because of wars, feasting to keep the clowns sweet, various requests that pop up and so that I rarely get to upgrade stuff in town.

Would it be better to educate your own successor to have a handle on their traits or farm the job out to someone else? What I usually do is search same religion/culture for whoever has the highest diplomacy with reasonable other stats or martial if its for a brother or something and try to get them to do it.

Usually when I'm starting out for marriages I just pick whoever has the best stats are regardless of title because I want genius grey eminence kids. I get craven retards with a fondness for the bottle but I know odds are you get awesome successors. Would it be better to go for someone with a good rank in order to get their counties? That's what I think triggered the mass defection to England last time as I started experimenting. Though I got 2 of isolated counties of theirs out of it.

How do you get women on to the council? I bring in great stats characters when I get the chance but I can't women on the council is that different for other cultures?

Also say you are at war with someone because you fabricated a claim and you have taken over the joint except for them agreeing to your demands and they can't respond to you with armies but they refuse to concede defeat, can you conquer more territory and keep it? Is it beneficial to hunt down their troops so they get the point? Or should you just dismiss everyone and only reassemble if they manage to put an army together?

I know the point isn't to conquer everything like in a Total War game but I'd like to have a smidge more control.

Also how often does the crazy poo poo happen. The craziest I've seen was the guy i controlled got syphilis, went mad and then declared his horse was chancellor. Practical effect I just had to pick a new chancellor.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Yeah I'm stuck with Eire and I'm basically just trying to lay low until 1453. I've got no desire to try to build a bigger powerbase over here because I don't want to be the target of any more ire than I am already after a 40 year succession crisis. I haven't lost any land in all that time but the number of revolts has been tiring and made me untrusting of my vassals.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Check who has what with landed titles. I learned to keep asmuch poo poo as possible in Ireland plays so I can hand out duchy's and dujure titles to the same people. Though this can make them pretty strong sometimes.

CK2 is odd

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Goofballs posted:

How do you get women on to the council? I bring in great stats characters when I get the chance but I can't women on the council is that different for other cultures?

Convert to the Cathar heresy. Otherwise your wife can be your spymaster but that's it. Unless you're the Spawn of Satan, or you get Joan of Arc, then things kind of happen.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Goofballs posted:

What's the fastest way to get a succession that isn't gavelkind because that seems to really gently caress me in the long term.

If you're not a king, rule for ten years and make sure none of your vassals have negative opinion of you. As long as you're not a king, you can change the succession to whatever you want. If you are a king, what succession you can choose depends on your crown authority. However, you can choose Elective at any crown authority, IIRC. This allows you to choose any of your kids you want to be your heir. Just make sure you make your vassals happy otherwise they'll elect themselves. As a Celt, you can also choose Tanistry, which locks the succession to your dynasty, but your vassals will vote for your old uncle who's unmarried and has no kids.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oceanbound posted:

Convert to the Cathar heresy. Otherwise your wife can be your spymaster but that's it. Unless you're the Spawn of Satan, or you get Joan of Arc, then things kind of happen.

Pagan religions can also have women as temple holders. Generally though the stats on female characters only tend to really matter if they're either your spouse or your heir.

Also one word of warning about making your wife spymaster - your realm intrigue won't be (your intrigue + 1/2 wife's intrigue + spymaster intrigue), because your wife IS your spymaster, so instead it just adds her intrigue as your spymaster and skips the wife bonus entirely. So unless your wife is far and away the best spy in your realm you'll usually get better stats by having someone else be your spymaster.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

What does the map look like for the Charlemagne start? I have yet to buy the DLC (I really, really should considering how much I love this game)

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

What does the map look like for the Charlemagne start? I have yet to buy the DLC (I really, really should considering how much I love this game)

Not good. Massive Karling Blob in Europe, horrific Abbasid blob in the Middle East (seriously, the worst). Tribal Ireland and Scotland Pictland. Tengri Kharzaria. Lots of Ibadis in North Africa though!

I also have trauma from the patch that came with Charlemagne, which effectively reduced decadence to nothing. The Abbasids would lock down the entire Middle East, laugh off the Seljuks and even fought off the Mongols. Maybe that got fixed with later patches, but 769 is the worst start date, IMO.

Try the 1337 start date. True, it's short, but I find I rarely play for long anyways and you can play as the Ottomans, Glorious Srbja, an independent Italian city state (the HRE is very weak in this start date), or claw for power within the disintegrating Mongol Empires. And you can have fun with the Black Death! Enjoy -7 health and an 80% chance to spread to adjacent provinces!

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I would, but I always like to have the earliest start possible and the 867 start had lots of great options. I'm currently at 1331 from a 1066 game and I've gotten sick of how safe it is over here (my incompetence and succession crisis notwithstanding). I'm thinking of exporting at 1444 and then finishing off the final years of the game; I want that achievement for playing a game through.

Some notes:

+HRE's splintered already
+My kingdom is small but relatively powerful with good alliances and highly centralized (even the vassals that dislike me wouldn't loving try to attack me)
+Lithuania is pagan but has blobbed, might play them in EU IV
+Muslim world has split
+Spain and France are weak
+England is the only real power player with a possible levy of over 30k troops

I consider this rather odd because usually what happens is blobs form over the course of CK games, player-blobs or otherwise. Oh, and India just looks really hosed up at the moment, it's a mess.

• Locked thread