Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

open24hours posted:

...OK? Feel free to attribute whatever motivation you like to my posting. It's still a perfectly reasonable question. Why did you think that Brandis' admission that the law wasn't perfect was so relevant?

Given the impact to the non-criminal population it seems extremely relevant how well the law will work. The cost/benefit ratio seems pretty screwed up if that is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Wasn't the point being made that some criminals may be able to evade the law? I mean if we're going to start taking Brandis seriously he also says that the possibility of circumventing the law "doesn't mean that it ceases to be a useful or important source of investigative data."

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Brandis's main point is that this law will catch dumb criminals who are too busy staring at themselves in the mirror to coordinate a sophisticated terror strategy online.

Of course it would be more useful to see statistics on just how many criminals are dumb narcissists but without metadata we can't work that out, NOW CAN WE?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm seeding

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I'm seeding

I'm getting the data but the bitrate is low. Can you light like 30-40 times as many fires to increase the throughput?

1 want a 1mbit smoke signal connection.

EDIT: Towering infernos are the best way to safely and anonymously communicate political opinions. To Canberra!

EDIT2: Pyromania is protected speech.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 27, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sorry, already reached my bandwidth cap. Gonna go have a lie down.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Sorry, already reached my bandwidth cap. Gonna go have a lie down.

Stupid rural fire service. Stop throttling me!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Storing and analysing this data is going to be prohibitively expensive, it won't catch anybody with even the slightest idea of what they're doing, and it infringes on the privacy of everybody in the country.

This is policy making in Australia - the land of no opposition.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Labor nominee for Parramatta

:stare:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do VPN's slow down your internet?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Yes

It adds an extra hop to all of your communications. Potentially more than doubling latency.

Edit: for clarity - latency is not bandwidth it is just the time it takes "on the wire" which will not affect your top speed. Unfortunately the bulk of network traffic is not large file transfers so adding 200ms latency to a file that takes 80ms to download will make things slower.

norp fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 27, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

bowmore posted:

Do VPN's slow down your internet?

you bet they do! And the ones worth using cost money.

Also your internet bill will probably increase because ISPs need to buy a shitload of storage for several billion gigs of "customer visited facebook @9:20am"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
And your phone bill!

And if you have a separate data package for a tablet or similar device!

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I'm excited for the exciting new stalking possibilities available to abusive spouses and ex-spouses from these laws.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
The location tracking of everyone via their mobile devices is all but unavoidable. VPNs don't help for that one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Government's Big Fat Tax on the Internet

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

blacksun posted:

The location tracking of everyone via their mobile devices is all but unavoidable. VPNs don't help for that one.

There was actually some research done a while ago on fuzzing carrier-based locating. Wonder if that'll make another appearance.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Murodese posted:

There was actually some research done a while ago on fuzzing carrier-based locating. Wonder if that'll make another appearance.

That's 10 years in the pokey 4 u

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm surprised the idiots on Whingepool are so quiet on the metadata stuff since they were all ready to vote for the Liberals when Labor wanted to introduce an Internet filter

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The filter's coming next week though

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

blacksun posted:

Would it be such a bad thing if we gave up mobile phones?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

Would it be such a bad thing if we gave up mobile phones?

The recession we had to have?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just gotta find a hobo to buy a sim card for me

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Just get rid of your SIN, run in the shadows.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How many of us in here would still own guns to overthrow a tyrannical government if Howard had not taken them away?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Laserface posted:

How many of us in here still own guns to overthrow a tyrannical government despite Howard trying to take them away?

hi asio

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Laserface posted:

How many of us in here would still own guns to overthrow a tyrannical government if Howard had not taken them away?

howard's entire plan was to prevent himself ending up first against the wall

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

bowmore posted:

Just gotta find a hobo to buy a sim card for me

Sounds like a new business idea right there. Crazy Hobo's.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Murodese posted:

The recession we had to have?

Didn't have them when I was young-er.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Laserface posted:

How many of us in here would still own </weapon>guns</weapon> to <threat>overthrow</threat> a tyrannical <target>government</target> if <target>Howard</target> had not taken them away?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

Just get rid of your SIN, run in the shadows.

WE LIKE ALL THE SAME THINGS.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

<Bad_poster>Graic Gabtar</Bad_poster>

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

"Hello ASIO" was taken.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
How is shooting neighbourhood dogs and jerking off into a fistful of their stolen collars going to help the revolutionary cause?

(The joke there is that all gun enthusiasts are utterly worthless psychopaths)

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Someone needs to go broke in the Australian iron ore industry, says analyst

quote:

The Australian iron ore industry is poised for a huge shake-up as the global glut worsens and margins continue to tighten.

The nation’s biggest iron ore miners, Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton, are still making money and expanding production, but questions remain about the viability of their heavily indebted rivals Fortescue Metals Group and Gina Rinehart’s Roy Hill project.

Iron ore is trading at a six-year low of around $US55 per tonne amid weaker Chinese demand.

The price slump this week prompted Fortescue Metal’s chairman Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest to call for a cap on iron ore production which was promptly dismissed by Rinehart and the head of Rio Tinto Sam Walsh.

But the price outlook remains bleak, with an extra 200m tonnes of the steel-making ingredient expected to be dumped on the market over the next few years.

Morningstar analyst Matthew Hodge says higher cost miners like Fortescue and Roy Hill will soon be “running to stand still”.

“There has to be some rationalisation,” Hodge said. “Someone needs to go broke, or some miners need to merge production because what’s happening at the moment is unsustainable.

“Things are bad and there’s no real sign they’re going to get any better soon, unless there’s a bit more enthusiasm around forming a cartel.”

Fortescue has just finished a huge expansion program and Rio Tinto plans to expand by another 50m tonnes while Roy Hill will begin ramping up to 55m tonnes in September.

Lurking in the background is Brazilian giant Vale which is planning a $20bn investment to expand production by another 90m tonnes by 2018.

In this environment, small to mid-tier Pilbara iron ore producers are being squeezed hard, forced to continually cut costs to stay afloat despite government assistance.

BC Iron this week signed a new mining contract to lower costs but its margins remain wafer thin.

Of the big players, Hodge said BHP was the most circumspect while Rio and Vale seemed intent on increasing market share.

“Vale’s move seems bizarre,” Hodge said.

\As the highest cost major iron ore producer with $11bn of debt, Fortescue was in a more precarious position than other Pilbara producers, he said.

“Companies that are higher up the cost curve, with lower margins are most at risk.”

He said Rio, BHP and Chinese state-owned players had the capacity to take over struggling iron ore companies.

Meanwhile, Colin Barnett, the Western Australia premier, said there had been an over-reaction to Forrest’s idea to cap production.

“If you flood the market, you hurt yourself, you hurt the smaller companies, you certainly hurt your shareholders, and I think the iron ore industry should be supplying to meet the market,” Barnett said. “That’s not a cartel or predatory pricing.”
We are facing potentially losing Twiggy or Rinehart. Why can't we just get rid of them both?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

Didn't have them when I was young-er.

Productivity was significantly lower when you were younger too, though, and advances in technology is a large part of that.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Pickled Tink posted:

Someone needs to go broke in the Australian iron ore industry, says analyst
We are facing potentially losing Twiggy or Rinehart. Why can't we just get rid of them both?

Almost... as though... this was the plan........ all along...........................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
BHP and Rio will not stop until they have the price down to 30 bucks a ton and as many knock down assets as possible. This includes giving Vale a hammering as well.

Then the duopoly will be effectively restored.

• Locked thread