Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're both really good children's shows. It's just unfortunate half the reruns we record are from later seasons of Blues Clues where they decided to strip out all educational value, and for some reason they decided on George to have a really broad offensive ethnic stereotype when it's otherwise very good about that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
That's the guy that does Minsc's voice from baldurs gate. He's not Italian, he's from Rashemen (d&d Russia).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Gnocchi is actually a miniature giant space kitten.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
We started creche on monday. My husband dropped him off his first day and he was *fine*. Had a great time. I picked him up and he was happy. Tuesday, *I* dropped him off. When the teacher met us at the door, he clung to my legs and cried and cried :( I felt like a huge rear end in a top hat leaving, and when I picked him up he seemed happy until he saw me, and then he just broke down crying and clung to me. What the hell? He was so excited to "go to school" in the morning but just had a huge clingy meltdown when I dropped him in! I think we might try just having daddy drop him off and I'll pick him up but agh

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Madra De Dhia posted:

We started creche on monday. My husband dropped him off his first day and he was *fine*. Had a great time. I picked him up and he was happy. Tuesday, *I* dropped him off. When the teacher met us at the door, he clung to my legs and cried and cried :( I felt like a huge rear end in a top hat leaving, and when I picked him up he seemed happy until he saw me, and then he just broke down crying and clung to me. What the hell? He was so excited to "go to school" in the morning but just had a huge clingy meltdown when I dropped him in! I think we might try just having daddy drop him off and I'll pick him up but agh

Probably won't matter, most kids take a (long) while to adjust to being left by their parents. It could very well be that day 1 was fine because he didn't realize dad was really leaving him or for just how long. We started daycare at 8 months, it was many months before dropoffs were completely tear-free and coming back from a vacation always reset that timer. It was only when he was around 2 and we could be like "All your aunties and friends miss you! They want to play with you!" that he started actually getting excited to be dropped off.

e:

vvv If you read the first story, he's not given a monkey, he kidnaps George from the jungle by luring him over with his hat.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 25, 2015

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

Also, over in Curious George The Man in the Yellow Hay owns a penthouse apartment in New York City AND a house in the country? Where's he getting all this money? And why is Mr. Pasghetti an acceptable character in the twenty first century?

My husband and I have a theory that The Man is some rich guy's fuckup youngest son who never amounted to anything, so he was given an apartment and a house and an allowance and a monkey to keep him occupied and out of the family business. That's why he never actually DOES anything, but still seems to be allowed to do everything.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

According to the Curious George 2 movie, the man in the yellow hat is named Ted.

Jasper also LOVES Peppa Pig. The first thing he asks for when he wakes up is "Pig pig"

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I quite dislike Curious George. The TV show isn't quite as bad as the books, but still. As noted, the Man in the Yellow Hat's seemingly endless pile of money what with his kidnapping a monkey from the jungle, owning a Manhattan high-rise, a country house, and a beach house.

Beyond that, the morals of Curious George I find to be dubious at best. It seems like every story is about how George fucks everything up for everyone, but he never gets into trouble. Seriously. There was one episode that had George walking around New York City by himself (yay free range kids, I guess?), but everywhere he goes, he buys way too much stuff, and none of the adults seem to think that there's anything weird (also, how does he pay for it all?). Or in one book, he ends up flooding their house with water, which would destroy the furniture and walls and a lot of other things...and all that's mentioned is that even the (black semi-stereotypical) housekeeper forgives him because he was the first monkey in space.

And with all of the poo poo that George gets into, adults (especially the Man in the Yellow Hat) are perfectly fine with him running around on his own.

These people need to stop loving enabling Curious George.

But beyond that, the fact that George doesn't actually speak English has made our parenting harder. Our daughter thinks it's perfectly reasonable to make monkey noises and expect us to understand what she's saying. It doesn't help.

I mean, okay, I get that not everything for kids needs to have a deep moral or whatever. I get "entertainment for the sake of entertainment". But Curious George is just loving ridiculous in what it models for kids.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like the science aspect of the program, and the way he reasons through problems, often coming to ridiculous methods using logic similar to a child. Though yeah he does whatever he wants and never gets into trouble. My sons reaction hasn't been to imitate him though, that would be annoying.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Axiem posted:

I quite dislike Curious George.

The early books have people smoking pipes/cigars/cigarettes on basically every page, and have a good amount of racism. They're pretty funny.

We just read CG Goes to the Beach, the worst he does is feed some seagulls.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

greatn posted:

I like the science aspect of the program, and the way he reasons through problems, often coming to ridiculous methods using logic similar to a child. Though yeah he does whatever he wants and never gets into trouble. My sons reaction hasn't been to imitate him though, that would be annoying.

Yes, it's nice how he sometimes reasons through problems. I just wish that it was a lot more explicit about doing that actual reasoning. It feels like it's only halfway trying to vaguely teach reasoning to kids. I much prefer more something like Sid the Science Kid, which while it has its things that get annoying really quickly (or other weird things), actually explains out the reasoning process a bit more.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Madra De Dhia posted:

This is 100 % totally normal. Kids have a harder time separating from the primary parent (as in "the parent they've spent the most time with"), and that's usually mum. I've seen it recommended a lot that dad do the drop off during the adjustment period for this reason. The crying at pick up is also totally normal. It's like they see you, and go "You're here, yay! Wait...now that I think about it, I haven't seen you for a while...You've been gone! WAAAAAH!"

And depending on the age of your kid, you can expect the crying at drop off to last for a good long while, with recurrences at regular intervals. But ask the staff how he fares when you've gone, my kid cried a lot during drop off, and I felt like poo poo leaving her, but the staff assured me that she quit crying as soon as she couldn't see me anymore, and was happy as a clam, and I peeped through the window a few times and saw it for myself. She also did the "Yay, you're here! WAAAAAH!" thing at pick up for a bit, but now she'll just as soon simply wave at me and go back to playing.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
So how concerned should I be with getting my 15 month old son off the bottles and onto the sippies? It has not been going well to say the least. We've tried a few different types of sippies but he won't take any of them. When we try to give him milk in a sippie not a bottle he just shoves it aside and cries until he gets a bottle.

I don't know if I'm stressing about this too much and it will happen when it happens, but from what his doctor had told us he should basically already be completely off of the bottles. Which seems impossible.

If anyone has suggestions for sippie cup brands that worked for them during the transition or any advice at all I would be very grateful. Still pretty new to this whole parenting thing. Thanks :)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

zeldadude posted:

So how concerned should I be with getting my 15 month old son off the bottles and onto the sippies? It has not been going well to say the least. We've tried a few different types of sippies but he won't take any of them. When we try to give him milk in a sippie not a bottle he just shoves it aside and cries until he gets a bottle.

I don't know if I'm stressing about this too much and it will happen when it happens, but from what his doctor had told us he should basically already be completely off of the bottles. Which seems impossible.

If anyone has suggestions for sippie cup brands that worked for them during the transition or any advice at all I would be very grateful. Still pretty new to this whole parenting thing. Thanks :)

We had a lot of luck with the sippy cups that have the flexible bottle-like nipples. They're soft, used to what they have in their mouths and whatnot. He's 13 months and would do nothing but sippy cups but we're too lazy to retire the bottles and go to sippy cups only. He still has a slight issue with some of the hard top sippy cups, depending on how fast the flow is.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

zeldadude posted:

Have you tried straw cups? They're the only kind that work for us (literally - my kid never figured out bottles, and refused all other kinds of sippy cups, so she went from boob to straw cups, and she's now moving on to just plain normal cups.)

We use Avents, they're awesomely spillproof while in use, and can be closed completely just by rotating the lid, and they're easy to pick apart and clean.

And unless your doc has specific concerns about bottles, not just a "well, the other kids are doing it, so he should too", then I wouldn't worry too much - at 15 months there's not that much time left before he can drink from proper cups.

Oh, also sports caps - my kid still prefers drinking from my water bottle, probably because it's grownup and therefore automatically must be way more awesome than her stuff.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Sockmuppet posted:

Have you tried straw cups? They're the only kind that work for us (literally - my kid never figured out bottles, and refused all other kinds of sippy cups, so she went from boob to straw cups, and she's now moving on to just plain normal cups.)

We use Avents, they're awesomely spillproof while in use, and can be closed completely just by rotating the lid, and they're easy to pick apart and clean.

And unless your doc has specific concerns about bottles, not just a "well, the other kids are doing it, so he should too", then I wouldn't worry too much - at 15 months there's not that much time left before he can drink from proper cups.

Oh, also sports caps - my kid still prefers drinking from my water bottle, probably because it's grownup and therefore automatically must be way more awesome than her stuff.

We have not! That sounds like something he would go for. I'll look for those and give them a shot! Thanks for the advice you two. :)

And I don't think he has any specific concerns, although I remember him saying something about baby bottles being bad for his teeth in the long term. And I'm guilty of forgetting to brush his teeth every once in a while so I'm just worried that his little teeth will be all screwed up because of something we did or did not do :( My fiancée and I both have pretty messed up teeth from neglect so we do NOT want the same to happen to him.

We've tried the Nuby sippies and those have worked the best so far, but when he's tired/having a tantrum or really hungry/thirsty for milk, nothing but a bottle will do. Plus the nuby's are really frustrating to put together. It always seems like they're locked but then SURPRISE! Juice all over the place!!

He pretty much just tries super hard to pour the sippie all over himself though. Constantly. Usually he succeeds. Hes creepy strong and will just rip the cap off of the cup, hah. Thanks again for the advice, I have a feeling I'll be frequenting this thread more often :D

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I've heard it recommended that when you are trying to teach them how to use a sippy cup you want one that WILL spill. You start out with a little bit of water, and the fact that it can spill on them helps them learn how to use the cup. Once they get the hang of it you can switch to one that doesn't spill to prevent the messes.

I haven't tried this myself yet though, been meaning to pick up a sippy cup that spills but my local supermarket doesn't seem to sell a decent one.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mine doesn't like milk from a sippy, but downs water like a fish. I think it's just a milk comes from a bottle association in her weird little mind.

We've started mixing milk and water in the cup and are up to 50/50 at the moment.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My 26 month old will not drink milk from anything else other than a bottle, unless it's chocolate milk from our local supermarket which you can get in a tiny little bottle with a sports type 'pop' top. But if you try cleaning the bottle when he's finished and filling it with regular milk it's a no-go.

Like Sockmuppet and gninjagnome's little people he won't do a sippy cup. We have tried like 4-5 different types/styles with milk and none of them worked.

With water though, from the time he was about 10-11 months he would take water from a straw cup, because it's quite warm here then I could just leave it on his table and he would help himself when he was thirsty.

He's been using a proper cup at mealtimes since he was around 18 months I think. While we're out and about and for daycare he has one of these.. http://www.tommeetippee.com.au/product/two-stage-drinker-400ml/ . At my parent's house he likes to use a little plastic wine glass.

We have had some success lately with 'milk from cup' as the drinking converter ring from that fits his bottles, so we have used a bottle as a cup and he's accepted it once or twice. Or character plastic glasses (Thomas and Peppa Pig) with a regular drinking straw. But the planets have to align perfectly or something for him to accept and finish it.

He is down to 1 bottle a day, which is for his midday nap, so I guess once he drops the nap the need for milk in bottle will go too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Babies hitting heads.

My wife was taking a pic of Nora this morning on the changing table (sitting up with me lightly holding her) because she has to take a pic every morning before she goes to work.

We were mimicking Chica noises from Sprout (which she loves) and she got over excited and bucked wildly and smacked the poo poo out of the wall with the back of her head. She started to cry (no real tears) then just eased up and seemed fine after a few seconds. but that kind of thing just freaks me out. I mean she totters over all day long and bumps her head when she loses balance sitting and stuff but that's no biggie. This was a pretty hard thump. Not enough to dent the drywall or get a bump to form on her head. My wife is all "oh she's fine she just scared herself."

But that got me thinking to what your threshold is for being worried. She's just now starting to bump around and fall into things so I'm trying to get myself used to that.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My daughter was totally OK with water in sippy cups but absolutely not on board for milk in them. We finally ended up transitioning slowly. She was getting three bottles per day. One at night after dinner, one when she woke up for the day, and one on her way home from daycare in the afternoon. We started with the one that had the least emotional attachment, which was the daycare one. We used some Playtex soft spout sippy cups that were very bottle like at first, and we warmed the milk the same way as in the bottle. If she didn't take it, she got no milk. Once she was reliably taking that one we switched the bedtime bottle for the sippy, and finally the morning one. We only used those particular sippy cups for milk, and we basically treated them as though they were bottles. She came around pretty quickly after several months of fighting over it previously. Later on we transitioned to a different type of sippy, though we still only used the milk sippies for milk until very recently (she's nearly 2). Not sure if any of that will help anyone else with the transition, but maybe it will.

Regardless, as long as you aren't letting your kid walk around all day with the bottle or leave it in the crib overnight, I wouldn't stress too much over it. Keeping a bottle around that they sip stuff from all the time is terrible for their teeth and will cause problems pretty quickly. But 5-10 minutes of bottle time a few times a day is very unlikely to be an issue, especially with regular tooth brushing. Sippies really aren't much of an improvement over bottles in the tooth/oral development department. The ultimate goal is to get them using regular cups as soon as possible (straws are OK but I can't stand cleaning them). But you of course have to balance that with your sanity in terms of how much water/milk spilled everywhere you can handle. We've transitioned to where a lot of my daughter's water comes from regular cups but it's going to be a while before I'm ready to make that transition for milk, so we just limit it to just a few minutes a day and don't let her carry a sippy around everywhere.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Babies hitting heads.

My wife was taking a pic of Nora this morning on the changing table (sitting up with me lightly holding her) because she has to take a pic every morning before she goes to work.

We were mimicking Chica noises from Sprout (which she loves) and she got over excited and bucked wildly and smacked the poo poo out of the wall with the back of her head. She started to cry (no real tears) then just eased up and seemed fine after a few seconds. but that kind of thing just freaks me out. I mean she totters over all day long and bumps her head when she loses balance sitting and stuff but that's no biggie. This was a pretty hard thump. Not enough to dent the drywall or get a bump to form on her head. My wife is all "oh she's fine she just scared herself."

But that got me thinking to what your threshold is for being worried. She's just now starting to bump around and fall into things so I'm trying to get myself used to that.

Oh man I understand this fear, but if I panicked every time my 21 month old bonked his head I'd be dead of a heart attack. My threshold for being worried: change in temperament, weird pupils, excessive sleepyness/vomiting or whatnot, your general concussion symptoms. Call your doc and ask what they think would be worrysome so you know in the future maybe? Sorry, I'm not sure how old your daughter is (Nora is a beautiful name!) so with a tiny baby I'd be more worried but I don't even notice really, and either does he, unless it leaves a bump/bruise. We thankfully haven't had any of those incidents. Yet. When my son hits his head he'll kind of shake it, frown, and go "BONK!" Their heads are super bonkable. I fractured my skull when I was 9 months old and other than having a monster egg on my skull I had no side effects whatsoever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sudont posted:

Oh man I understand this fear, but if I panicked every time my 21 month old bonked his head I'd be dead of a heart attack. My threshold for being worried: change in temperament, weird pupils, excessive sleepyness/vomiting or whatnot, your general concussion symptoms. Call your doc and ask what they think would be worrysome so you know in the future maybe? Sorry, I'm not sure how old your daughter is (Nora is a beautiful name!) so with a tiny baby I'd be more worried but I don't even notice really, and either does he, unless it leaves a bump/bruise. We thankfully haven't had any of those incidents. Yet. When my son hits his head he'll kind of shake it, frown, and go "BONK!" Their heads are super bonkable. I fractured my skull when I was 9 months old and other than having a monster egg on my skull I had no side effects whatsoever.

Good to know! She's 8 months (and Eleanor is her full name! I think it's even prettier than Nora!).

Yeah she didn't do anything weird right after and her temperment was fine.. just... ugh. I figured if she hit it hard enough to do damage it'd probably have a lump/bruise or something.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Since I'm here I might as well post! We had pretty much weaned my son from the pacifier (he calls them wah wah's) except for at nap/bedtime for a good two months or so, but we've totally backslid. I've had some health issues lately, I work nights/all weekend from home, and my partner's time at home is very limited (he works long days) so it's probably just that my threshold for caving in has been low lately. :( He is SO verbal and SO dramatic... "OH GOD MAMA, PWEEEEEEEASE WAH WAH? TANKYOUUUUUUU....PWEEEEEESE?"

He begs for it night and day. I hid them all so he doesn't see them, but he still asks. I need to just harden up and not cave I guess, that's what worked last time, with redirection, but I feel like he's hip to my game and just comes back to remembering he wants the pacifier. I don't think he's cutting any teeth, he has 2 missing on top and bottom but I don't see any redness indicating they're incoming. It seems like a need to suck, because if he sees an empty bottle (we use the cups with the soft spouts for milk at nap/bedtime) he'll grab it and suck on it. I almost want to teach him to use his thumb but that's the same problem, messing up his teeth etc. (I sucked my thumb till I was probably 10 or 11, though only at night at that age.)

I guess I'm just venting. We did it a few months ago, we can do it again. I've set this coming Monday as the great wah wah weaning date. Give me strength...

Edit: Oh man, BonoMan, wait till she's mobile. BONK CITY. :)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

BonoMan posted:

Good to know! She's 8 months (and Eleanor is her full name! I think it's even prettier than Nora!).

Yeah she didn't do anything weird right after and her temperment was fine.. just... ugh. I figured if she hit it hard enough to do damage it'd probably have a lump/bruise or something.

My sister calls her Eleonor Elly so Nora is a good bit up from that :v:

The full version is best tho

sudont posted:

Since I'm here I might as well post! We had pretty much weaned my son from the pacifier (he calls them wah wah's) except for at nap/bedtime for a good two months or so, but we've totally backslid. I've had some health issues lately, I work nights/all weekend from home, and my partner's time at home is very limited (he works long days) so it's probably just that my threshold for caving in has been low lately. :( He is SO verbal and SO dramatic... "OH GOD MAMA, PWEEEEEEEASE WAH WAH? TANKYOUUUUUUU....PWEEEEEESE?"

He begs for it night and day. I hid them all so he doesn't see them, but he still asks. I need to just harden up and not cave I guess, that's what worked last time, with redirection, but I feel like he's hip to my game and just comes back to remembering he wants the pacifier. I don't think he's cutting any teeth, he has 2 missing on top and bottom but I don't see any redness indicating they're incoming. It seems like a need to suck, because if he sees an empty bottle (we use the cups with the soft spouts for milk at nap/bedtime) he'll grab it and suck on it. I almost want to teach him to use his thumb but that's the same problem, messing up his teeth etc. (I sucked my thumb till I was probably 10 or 11, though only at night at that age.)

I guess I'm just venting. We did it a few months ago, we can do it again. I've set this coming Monday as the great wah wah weaning date. Give me strength...

Edit: Oh man, BonoMan, wait till she's mobile. BONK CITY. :)

We straight up lied and told our oldest we lost it and he was mad for a bit then got over it. After a day or two we just threw them out. You could try offering an alternative soothing thing - we did hugs and / or his comfort blanket.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

My threshold for being worried: change in temperament

Yeah, my kid has faceplanted and fallen rear end over teakettle on numerous occations (she had a period where she split her lip open on average once a week, and once another kid opened a door in her face at kindergarten on the same day, so she looked thoroughly mishandled. Fun for everyone!), and I don't worry unless she doesn't seem her usual self afterwards (which she has always done so far, and she's always been fine, so it seems to work :v: ) Kids are a surprisingly sturdy bunch, and they're great fallers, they just flop down instead of tensing up, like adults, so they're less likely to hurt themselves.

That goes for when she's sick as well - if she's got a fever and seems tired and cranky, but otherwise ok, I don't worry, but if she's lethargic and doesn't respond to things she normally responds to, we go to the doctor.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Back to biting - my daughter has been biting people all week. Never had any issues, but she got bit on Monday, and then we had 3 incidents through the week (in the first incident, she bit the baby who bit her, which was a least amusing). Apparently other kids at daycare are starting to do it too, so my wife and I think she has picked up some form of baby zombie-ism, and now craves the flesh of other babies. Doesn't seem to be much we can personally do about it, since she doesn't bite at home, and she's only 14 months, so it's not like talking to her will really do much.

Day care is treating it alright. They know it's a developmental thing, and have been really patient with her. They think part of the issue is that, due to the recent measles outbreak, they have started a policy where the infants can't leave the infant area to go to other areas of the daycare . They used to take them for stroller rides and to play on the indoor toddler gyms pretty regularly, but now they're cooped up all day in the infant room, and so they'res just more opportunity for incidents. They are modifying how they manage them - breaking up the infants into smaller groups in putting them in two different rooms, adding more direct activity, etc. and will see how it goes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

gninjagnome posted:

. They think part of the issue is that, due to the recent measles outbreak, they have started a policy where the infants can't leave the infant area to go to other areas of the daycare . They used to take them for stroller rides and to play on the indoor toddler gyms pretty regularly, but now they're cooped up all day in the infant room, and so they'res just more opportunity for incidents.

Yet another reason to hate the anti-vax idiots. Thanks guys, now the babies have to be stuck in isolation for the first few years of their life.

Yeah, biting is a phase. Its the first real way they can get back at someone who does something to them. You take my teddy? You sir are going to loving pay *chomp*

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My sister calls her Eleonor Elly so Nora is a good bit up from that :v:

We call our Eleanor Ellie for short, is that frightfully common of us?

Or we call her 'the witch', which isn't shorter but is far more descriptive.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 28, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

hookerbot 5000 posted:

We call our Eleanor Ellie for short, is that frightfully common of us?

Or we call her 'the witch', which isn't shorter but is far more descriptive.

I mostly don't like it because there was a girl in my primary school whose name was Ellie, and she was mercilessly teased with the nickname Smelly Ellie for years. It didn't help that she had a BO problem but the name just has a really bad association in my memory :smith:.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This might sound snippy, and I absolutely don't mean it to, but I've always been intrigued by this. Names like Thomas, Daniel, Eleanor, Catherine etc almost always end up as Tom, Dan, Ellie, Katie, so what makes parents choose them? I think of everyone I've known with a name like that only a couple have used the full version in their lives. Is it just that it's nice to have the option of calling them Thomas or whatever?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

This might sound snippy, and I absolutely don't mean it to, but I've always been intrigued by this. Names like Thomas, Daniel, Eleanor, Catherine etc almost always end up as Tom, Dan, Ellie, Katie, so what makes parents choose them? I think of everyone I've known with a name like that only a couple have used the full version in their lives. Is it just that it's nice to have the option of calling them Thomas or whatever?

I like having a name with 2 versions, it makes it clearer when I'm telling them off.

My name is Jennifer but I'm nearly always called Jenny and if someone calls me Jennifer I get a bit confused (or scared that I'm being told off). But I don't think I'd have liked being just called Jenny as my official name, it's nice to have the choice even though I almost always choose to introduce myself as the shortened version.

My sister in law has a long name that is commonly shortened to something else and she was known as the shortened version until she was mid twenties or so then she started using the full version. My brother was always called the long version of his name but in the last few years has called himself the shortened version (think Kathy and James now calling themselves Catherine and Jim). They say it's an interesting way to date how long they've known people.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Gave our daughter a 4 syllable name. The first question after telling someone the name is always. Oh what are you going to call her? Or are you going to call her "shortened version of the name". I just reply I'm going to call her what I named her :)

I do hear lots of people say we're going to name our baby this and call them this. Why not just use the name you like as the name? That being said my name has 3 common ways to say it and I answer to all 3. I don't care if other people use the shortened form of my babies names either. Just a personal thing as to what I call them.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Bollock Monkey posted:

I like the idea of having a long(ish) name that can be shortened(Both my Wife and I have names like this), and this definitely played a part when we came up with the name for our daughter. It just seems to make the full name feel more.... fun and flowery? For example my daughter's name is Cassidy, but she could use Cass or Cassy if she wants to.

But I think it's mostly an emotional decision. You look at a name and go with what feels good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Were probably gonna switch to full on Eleanor at store point. But it's nice having options for cuter moments. Eleanor is elegant but sometimes a Nora or Norie is more called for

Her middle name is Mae so we avoid Ellie so it doesn't end up Ellie Mae.

But let's be real... I'm gonna call her butter bean her whole life.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

gninjagnome posted:

Back to biting - my daughter has been biting people all week.

We had a spate of our 2 year old starting to bite. She would do it when she was annoyed. You could tell from the way she looked that she was going to bite. We'd tell her that it wasn't ok. She started doing it at nursery, we got two incident forms in two days. So they stated to take her out of situations when they knew that she might get bitey. Thankfully since then we've had no incidents.

Like most things, it's just a phase.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I say Alex instead of Alexandra all the time.

BonoMan posted:

But let's be real... I'm gonna call her butter bean her whole life.

Pretty much :3:

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I assume a lot of it is tradition, too. Like, my name is Katherine, and like others have mentioned, the only time in my 39 years of life I've been called Katherine is by official type documents, and my parents when they are trying to put the Fear of God into me (usually coupled with my middle name for added terror). I was Katie when I was young, and when I was old enough to have an opinion I went with Kate. Actually I think I probably couldn't have been baptised as Kate or Katie, which was important to my parents so that probably plays into it a lot for some people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not really a good shortening for Arthur. Art or Artie I guess, but that just doesn't feel right for him, at least yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
My Elly is Elisabeth, because it combines both her grandmothers names - Elissa and Bethne. She'll always be Elly or Wiggles to me.