Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

JoshTheStampede posted:

Check either Angel Giraldez' facebook or Tom Schadle's blog (they use the same technique) and look for the tutorial on PanOceania blue armor. It's a super easy sort of zenithal technique for hard-armor infantry types that yields amazing results fast.

\/\/ He's under Studio Giraldez

I'll have to look this up when I get home but by god I wish I'd thought to look up a guide on PanOceania blue before I started painting my Fusiliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

krushgroove posted:

Great, thanks. This is about infantry, btw, I'm pretty comfortable with vehicles/bigger stuff (yay tanks) but not so much with infantry. I have some red ink on the way and will try gloss coating the infantry and doing some washes to do the blacklining (to save time).

You can do, I used Ghost Tints on the worm-type monster I posted earlier in the thread and paints on the kraken model. With the Ghost Tints (which are candy colors, which are basically inks in gloss medium) it was just black and white over grey, then the candies over most of the model:

With paint you have to do really light coats of the base color until you get the effect you want. You have to be patient because the color darkens as it dries so I try to do one coat over everything and see how it is before putting on any more. This is panel lining on vehicles with one coat of base color, the effect with zenithal priming is similar:

Tell us about painting the anus of that worm.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ryoshi posted:

I'll have to look this up when I get home but by god I wish I'd thought to look up a guide on PanOceania blue before I started painting my Fusiliers.

http://tomschadleminiatures.blogspot.com/2014/08/panoceania-blue-step-by-step.html

I think this is the one he's talking about.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

drat. I'm going to have to practice that Tom Schadle plan on some spare models, I've been looking for a good thing to practice airbrushing with and I have most of those colors.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
:toot: Got a positive GW customer service story :toot:

My Tau paint bundle was supposed to be here on Saturday, but it didn't show. I called GW customer service on Monday at around 500 central (open past average hours!) and told them my problem. The guy looked into it and said that the partnered shipping service with UPS/USPS is having trouble. UPS delivered the paints to the local USPS office, but the USPS wasn't taking the delivery for whatever reason. GW then refunded the shipping, and placed a new order for the same paints and gave me FEDEX 2 day shipping, which should be here tomorrow. I checked my mail today, and my original package arrived. I got a free set of Tau paints on the way and I didn't pay shipping for either.

All in all, great GW customer service experience.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

:toot: Got a positive GW customer service story :toot:

My Tau paint bundle was supposed to be here on Saturday, but it didn't show. I called GW customer service on Monday at around 500 central (open past average hours!) and told them my problem. The guy looked into it and said that the partnered shipping service with UPS/USPS is having trouble. UPS delivered the paints to the local USPS office, but the USPS wasn't taking the delivery for whatever reason. GW then refunded the shipping, and placed a new order for the same paints and gave me FEDEX 2 day shipping, which should be here tomorrow. I checked my mail today, and my original package arrived. I got a free set of Tau paints on the way and I didn't pay shipping for either.

All in all, great GW customer service experience.

Yeah, customer service is something GW's always been really good at.

I've finished up some Slaanesh Chaos Warriors, figured I'd post them.

Daemon Prince:

BSB:

Exalted Hero:

Gorebeast Chariots:

Knights:

Dogs:

Warriors:

It's my first try at using a lightbox, it looks like my lighting needs to be a bit brighter, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how these turned out.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

It seems like March has been Mashaaf Madness. I'm just about finished with mine, and although its not up to pro standards its my personal best so far. I took lots of pictures:

Prep: green stuffing gaps, and temporary base made of instamorph:

Blocking base coat:

Two brush blending and washes on the back:

Poor attempt at highlights:

A pretty messy attempt at glaze shading, more washes on the back and smaller bits:

Stepped up my game and just glaze blended until it looked good, highlights on details, light drybrushing on the rocks:

Liquitex Gloss:

Liquitex Matte:

Testors Dullcote:

Feeling pretty good about this!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's the best Mashaaf yet. Makes me wish I had one.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Those things are loving disgusting.
Have you considered playing around with the different gloss varnishes in/near the mouth?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finished painting my fourth and final Taurox Prime! These things were really fun to paint, and I was able to knock each one out in an afternoon. They're cute little chunky things and I'll miss painting them. This one in particular is the command Taurox, and that's why it's got the lion and golden doodads:

Each of the vehicles has a Scion knife and a number next to it, going from 01-03. The command squad, however, gets the skull and a 00 number:

And here's the whole motor pool, plus my incredibly messy painting table:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The best thing about painting Dreadfleet is the endless detail that no one will ever see or notice, lovingly painted by me.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

3D printed bolters and backpacks landed. Frosted ultra detail is as hard to photograph as it is awesome:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
looks neat

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
After quite a long break I'm getting back into the hobby!

I got the new rules and Ork books a while ago, dusted off the old minis and crushed some Dark Angels in a 2000 point game using the new edition and rules.

The local GW shop is doing an escalation league, starts at 500 points and adds 250 points every week till it hits 2000. Gonna just make a new Ork army from scratch to both get some of the new models and to get my painting back up to speed.

I started with two trukks, pain boss, mek, and a squad of three bikes. They are assembled and primed, should have it done by Saturday.

A quick question for Ork players, which plane should I get? I can add one at 750. I like the fighta for killing other planes, and the big bomma looks like it could add some anti tank. Anyone have any luck with them?

Any of the new kits stand out for kickin rear end or looking good? (I'm far more interested in looking good.)

I'll post pics of the 500 points once it's done. Not doing anything crazy yet, just out of the box assembly for now. I do have plans for a doc trukk, doc on a bike, and a mek on a bike.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

The best thing about painting Dreadfleet is the endless detail that no one will ever see or notice, lovingly painted by me.

I see that lovingly painted shark :).

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Put it behind glass.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Preferably in a bottle.
Edit: :thejoke:

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 26, 2015

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Tell us about painting the anus of that worm.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well I certainly don't look forward to painting it on my own model - I have the same one, I ordered it with the thinking I'd use it as a Mawloc for my Tyranid army.

I might do mine in Slurms colors, since it's pretty obvious to me that it was based on the Slurm queen.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
I need some advice on how to paint white. I've tried basecoating white, layering over Russ Grey, Ulthuan Grey and Skull White but the end result is still blotchy. What can I do to get a more even result?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I need some advice on how to paint white. I've tried basecoating white, layering over Russ Grey, Ulthuan Grey and Skull White but the end result is still blotchy. What can I do to get a more even result?

I haven't done much white by hand (airbrush makes it super easy) but the many videos I've watched say: prime white, thin your paints and paint a whole section at a time so you have an even coat. You can even go so far as to use (drying) retarder, which any arts or craft store will have in 250ml bottles, so you get a nice even coat.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

In general, lots of thin coats tends to be the best way to do white.

Another thing I have tried in the past with mixed results is to undercoat in white, apply another layer of white over the top, then thin down some light grey paint and use it as a wash, followed by further white highlights. Worked OK for large units of High Elves but wasn't quite good enough for individual characters.

mastergeebo
Sep 26, 2004

Via con Dios, el Dingo

malal posted:

A quick question for Ork players, which plane should I get? I can add one at 750. I like the fighta for killing other planes, and the big bomma looks like it could add some anti tank. Anyone have any luck with them?

I once had a burna bomma take out my friend's commander by blowing up next to him.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm buying some brass rod for banner pole replacements, what size do I want? 1.5mm?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Awaken realms has done a cool tutorial on airbrushing the new blood thirster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjhl3R1hq-Q

Pretty good to watch to figure out how to paint things other than tanks iwth your airbrush. Also you can get sick results from drybrushing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
White is such a bitch. An airbrush is easy mode, but I did it by brush before and I still do highlights by hand.

You need thin glazes to get good whites. Start with a grey halfway to white and then keep adding drops off an off white color (like a warm white) into the mix, building up the layers. Then your first highlight can be the pure off white color. Finally hit it with a pure white mixed with the off white color. I tend to use lots of flow aid and keep things really watered down until the very final steps.

It takes forever.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I pick a color that isn't white, like blue, or purple. Then I find a wash and an off white in that color.

For example white with a blue tinge, first step is to base coat with PP frostbite, wash the entire thing with GW drakenhof nightshade, go back with frostbite with a ton of water mixed in and cover 90% of it. Then come in with pure white with a ton of water in it. Stroke in the direction of the highlight, if the paint is going to pool, let it pool up there where it will either look fine or be covered up as you add more paint. Come back with some watered down drakenhof nightshade to touch up any crevices. Works less well on cloth, but is pretty much auto-pilot on with a lot of surfaces like armor.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm trying out a blue/white/green color scheme on these genestealers. I primed them in white, washed over them with a dark blue, and am going over them again with a white drybrush. I'm mainly trying to get them table quality and have only done these two models. I'm looking for feedback.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The tiny claws on the front hands should also probably be painted. Also the green claws just kinda look a bit strange? Like it's a really organic shape but the green makes them look artificial. I can't really offer advice on how to address that but might be worth considering.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think part of the problem is that there is nothing to tie your colors together. I think you should give the green a shot on the carapace and see how it looks.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 27, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Star Man posted:

I'm trying out a blue/white/green color scheme on these genestealers. I primed them in white, washed over them with a dark blue, and am going over them again with a white drybrush. I'm mainly trying to get them table quality and have only done these two models. I'm looking for feedback.

Paint the base. Something dark, maybe a dark brown colour. At the moment its just a white blob with a few dashes of colour. With the base done the whole composition will be different.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BULBASAUR posted:

White is such a bitch. An airbrush is easy mode, but I did it by brush before and I still do highlights by hand.

You need thin glazes to get good whites. Start with a grey halfway to white and then keep adding drops off an off white color (like a warm white) into the mix, building up the layers. Then your first highlight can be the pure off white color. Finally hit it with a pure white mixed with the off white color. I tend to use lots of flow aid and keep things really watered down until the very final steps.

It takes forever.

Yeah, gently caress white. I'll never finish my Mentor Legion marines because it is such bore to paint.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anybody need some Flames of War paint sets? I've got two that I don't need - Soviet and Polish - both brand new, factory sealed. I'll let them go for $15 each plus shipping (I'm in the US.) PM or shoot me an email at portablezombie at gmail.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 27, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Need to check if my instincts are correct. I'm painting up a goaty-looking demon lord and I want to make it look disgusting, bloated, and generally gross. I'm thinking a green undercoat with layers of brown/green mixed (with more brown added with each layer), possibly with a brown ink. Will this look horrible in the "oh god that's NASTY" sense, or will it look horrible in the "don't look at my shame" sense?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As long as the base green is darker than the brown/green mixture you're highlighting with it should look fine.

You might want to try something like a deep forest green base blended into khaki / light green mix and then highlight with tan or even ivory.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Converted a set of deathmarks from an old set of Warriors, and used it as a tester for my eventual Black Legion scheme. Kinda wish that I started with black Necrons to start with; I quite like it.

I'm still not happy with how my bases look. I just can't seem to get it right.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

Agreed that the green looks weird. This eBay army is using a similar scheme but the red claws tie things together a bit better. Also seconding basing, even if it's just a coat of paint.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

moths posted:

As long as the base green is darker than the brown/green mixture you're highlighting with it should look fine.

You might want to try something like a deep forest green base blended into khaki / light green mix and then highlight with tan or even ivory.

That's pretty much exactly my game plan, so it's good to know. The green I was considering for the base coat is some of the old Orkhide Shade, so it would be hard to find a darker green. Hadn't considered the ivory, though...

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I was just scrolling past and thought "oh, those bases look cool and different, I wonder how that was done". I think they look pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Converted a set of deathmarks from an old set of Warriors, and used it as a tester for my eventual Black Legion scheme. Kinda wish that I started with black Necrons to start with; I quite like it.

Cut some cracks in it, and then do a brown or grey drybrush around the edges of the cracks. I think the problem is, colorwise, it looks wet, but texturewise it looks like a packed sand wasteland kind of thing.

...Is my basing suggestion.